Cousins suspended by the team

Cousins suspended by the team, will not travel to PHX

samickAOL
DeMarcus Cousins has been suspended by the Kings and is not making the trip to Phoenix, according to a source close to the team.

[I'm updating this post as more information becomes available]

samickAOL

Cousins had confrontation with D. Greene regarding the decision on the last play in locker room and has to be separated, the source says.

Tyreke Evans missed a three-pointer in the final seconds in a loss to OKC. Seems clear Cousins thought he was open.

Cousins has grown frustrated that the Kings coaches and players don't speak up more about Evans' late-game decision making.

Cousins was already on the team plane when they told him to get off. Francisco Garcia strongly contested the decision but was rebuffed.

Unclear if suspension will be for any longer than one game for Cousins.

[Then Amick continues:]

Sounds like Cousins will likely miss the entire three-game road trip. This was definitely Petrie's call.

Cousins and Greene both took swings before getting separated.

To be clear, the confrontation between Cousins and Greene was in the locker room. Cousins was taken off the plane once Petrie made call.

More details from Cousins-Greene situation. Cousins was yelling at Evans 4 last play, from tunnel to the locker room. Greene came in later.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From ESPN:

"One source said Cousins and Green argued in the locker room, with Cousins telling everyone he wanted respect, regardless of his rookie status."

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...rip-to-phoenix

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UGH!!!!!!!! :(:mad:

Last edited:

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Cousins had confrontation with D. Greene regarding the decision on the last play in locker room and has to be separated, the source says.

Tyreke Evans missed a three-pointer in the final seconds in a loss to OKC. Seems clear Cousins thought he was open.

Cousins has grown frustrated that the Kings coaches and players don't speak up more about Evans' late-game decision making.

From Amicks twitter

Geezzz. Let's get all this Boogie-me, Boogie-man, Boogie-boy crap out of the way during his up, down, side-ways rookie season so next year will be smooth sailing....

I have no problem that Cousins did this. And in fact I'm kinda glad someone is showing some fire around here. I think this is a reflection of the team deferring to Reke too much. Just give Reke the ball....

Cousins is not a selfish player, that's not why he was making noise. I would trust Cousins that he was open, and should have been passed the ball to make a two point shot to tie it.

Strange as it may sound, I'm actually totally behind Cousins on this. And I think it takes balls to step up and in a way he's taking a bullet by getting suspended. Of course he may learn more tactful ways of doing it in the future.

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
We're all frustrated with Evans' late game decision making Cuz, but why you gotta take it out on ole D-Greene!?!?

This sucks on a lot of levels. DMC, who had seemed to have been behaving better these last couple months has had the meltdown everybody in the press (as well as the goofball GMs who passed him up) has been waiting for. Also, its disturbing if in fact his gripe is true, that coaching staff/players havent been calling Reke out on his dumb*** late game decisions.

Either way, **** just got messy.

Sigh. Maybe I'm gonna jump on the Clippers bandwagon before all the Lakers fans crowd it.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
We're all frustrated with Evans' late game decision making Cuz, but why you gotta take it out on ole D-Greene!?!?

This sucks on a lot of levels. DMC, who had seemed to have been behaving better these last couple months has had the meltdown everybody in the press (as well as the goofball GMs who passed him up) has been waiting for. Also, its disturbing if in fact his gripe is true, that coaching staff/players havent been calling Reke out on his dumb*** late game decisions.

Either way, **** just got messy.

Sigh. Maybe I'm gonna jump on the Clippers bandwagon before all the Lakers fans crowd it.
According to Json Jones, Cousins wasn't mad about the shot. He was mad Donte went to Tyreke instead of him in the post. That's why he went after Donte.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Got it.

I actually think that shot was a good one, just didnt go in.

I'm more worried about the mention of Coaching staff/players not holding Reke accountable for his other games. Would explain why we've seen no progress in the BBIQ department.

I wonder what went down exactly. You would have to assume Cousins was really out of line to receive the suspension.

I do agree with him about Evans though. He plays a selfish style of ball, its frustrating to watch and I'm sure its even more frustrating to play with.

According to Json Jones, Cousins wasn't mad about the shot. He was mad Donte went to Tyreke instead of him in the post. That's why he went after Donte.
in the postgame interview, i remember westphal saying that cousins was open for a second but casspi ran by him and might have either blocked the pass lane or something. i dont know if he was covering for donte or what but i didnt have the game dvr'd to watch again

I have no problem that Cousins did this. And in fact I'm kinda glad someone is showing some fire around here. I think this is a reflection of the team deferring to Reke too much. Just give Reke the ball....

Cousins is not a selfish player, that's not why he was making noise. I would trust Cousins that he was open, and should have been passed the ball to make a two point shot to tie it.

Strange as it may sound, I'm actually totally behind Cousins on this. And I think it takes balls to step up and in a way he's taking a bullet by getting suspended. Of course he may learn more tactful ways of doing it in the future.
Except if you watch the replay you would see that he in fact was NOT open. It fact he was arguably the least open player on the entire team.

Thunder executed their D well here. They knew we would look to pass it to Cousins and let him make the decision on what to do. They took that option away and they would have been happy to either get Tyreke to shoot the jumper or drive into traffic like he did against Dallas.

I don't think Cousins had any reason to gripe with this one. He was coevered well and would have been the wrong option to pass to with that much coverage on him.

Cousins was already on the team plane when they told him to get off. Francisco Garcia strongly contested the decision but was rebuffed. - Sam Amick
Sounds like Cousins will likely miss the entire three-game road trip. This was definitely Petrie's call. - Sam Amick
Good times.

I can imagine it was something like this in that tense locker room...

Cousins: Donte, I was wide open dude and you don't notice or give a sh*t. Coach is right on - you can't focus!

Donte: Look big mouth rookie, shut up and just carry my bags to the plane.

Cousins: F-U! I aint carrying yo bags no mo - Donte, Dumbte, Buckets, my azzz, hahaha!

Except if you watch the replay you would see that he in fact was NOT open. It fact he was arguably the least open player on the entire team.

Thunder executed their D well here. They knew we would look to pass it to Cousins and let him make the decision on what to do. They took that option away and they would have been happy to either get Tyreke to shoot the jumper or drive into traffic like he did against Dallas.

I don't think Cousins had any reason to gripe with this one. He was coevered well and would have been the wrong option to pass to with that much coverage on him.
He had collison pinned. It was Omri running in front that would have been an issue.

Bigger thing was collison fouling cousins on the tip. He was out of position facing cousins for one and was holding cousins arm down so he couldnt jump.

Ok, well, if that was true, then it was true.

I still don't have any problem with him showing a little fire. As to the details of the altercation...well we won't ever really know. I still have no problem with it and in fact find it a little refreshing. Guys fight. Guys get suspended. Guys learn. They'll figure it out. Not a problem. That's how I see it.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
To keep it in perspective, Delonte West and Von Wafer got in a fist fight, and no suspensions resulted. Mayo and Allen got in a fist fight, and each was suspended 1 game.

To keep it in perspective, Delonte West and Von Wafer got in a fist fight, and no suspensions resulted. Mayo and Allen got in a fist fight, and each was suspended 1 game.
Yes but Cousins is a repeat offender! He has had more than his fair share of confrontations behind the scenes. What ever is the case, you don't take pot shots at your team mates for a broken play. I have re-watched the inbounds again and all things considered, Donte made the right call.

Like I said, I am all for some fire and passion from the big bloke but he is were as aggressive on the court as he was apparently in the change rooms after the game, this game would not have come down to a last 2nd shot!

Despite his double double, I would look into the mirror a bit more before I start pointing fingers at others.

Fact that it happened in locker room but just minutes before boarding team plane and involved punches thrown makes Petire's call the appropriate one IMO. You can't have any chance that it might errupt again at 30,000 feet on the way to Phoenix.