The Tyreke Evans Saga

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The "personal issue" that Coach said he just found out about is going to remain in house apparently. Coach said the personal problem is affecting him but that Reke is a "warrior." He said Reke revealed it to him after the game and now says "issues in his life" are affecting his play.
This is a bad thing, but actually a relieving thing too, as I just haven't be able to account for what I am seeing.

The plot thickens. Whatever is bothering Tryeke is something he says has been going on for months.
Whatever it is, I hope going to coach and telling him is the first step to getting it all past him. I know the rumor mill is going to go crazy now. We have to remember the kid is only 21 and knowing his background he may not be well equiped to deal with whatever it is.

Sit Evans.. He doesn't have his head on striaght and losing with him putting the type of crappy numbers he's putting up isn't helping anything. Give him an indefinite absence.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Sit Evans.. He doesn't have his head on striaght and losing with him putting the type of crappy numbers he's putting up isn't helping anything. Give him an indefinite absence.
I agree Gary. Not with your nightly post on how Tyreke isn't a pg as if you are the only person in the world that knows that. But saying he needs to be on the court with a pg. Is Beno a PF, C or what. But yeah Reke needs to take some time to clear his head. Somebody on the team needs to step up and help him through whatever it is.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Haha thats messed up. But my guess would be Cousins or Head. Maybe Tyrekes girlfriend is bugging the crap out of him about something. Jackie Christie anyone?
Its got to be something more serious than that for it to even be mentioned, let alone to potenitally explain the lack of focus we've seen. Something serious, and ongoing for months? And not only that, but something that must be a delicate matter for everybody to keep it so quiet. If sombody had a serious illness or something, normally you just say that. Intriguing, but I think tabloid journalism shoudl be taken out and shot, so if this is a private matter, I'm going to leave it at that.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Its got to be something more serious than that for it to even be mentioned, let alone to potenitally explain the lack of focus we've seen. Something serious, and ongoing for months? And not only that, but something that must be a delicate matter for everybody to keep it so quiet. If sombody had a serious illness or something, normally you just say that. Intriguing, but I think tabloid journalism shoudl be taken out and shot, so if this is a private matter, I'm going to leave it at that.
Its just so odd I am not sure how to take it. I have never heard anything like this. I mean did you see PW's reaction to the questions about it? He was absolutley pissed and told them none of your business. Honestly I have an idea of something that would bother you like that and not have to do with family illness or anything. Also something you would want to keep private.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Just thought about something. Usually when a player has some personal issues and the coach speaks about it. He says the player is dealing with it right now and we will help him in anyway possible. PW never said those works or anything associated with tyreke dealing with the issue. Is it something that has a fate and there is no dealing with?

I hardly post but everyone knows how much I love tyreke. I have a strong suspicion of what is effecting him. It's something I always wondered about by just looking at the guy's mannerisms. But scratched it off as whatver because I dont really care about his personal life. That's his business. His business with me is how he performs on the court.

Guess well see how this plays out.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Interesting development. So it's not just the foot. The overtones for something more serious have been hanging like a cloud for months now, and now we at least know the subject matter. I think it's a very good thing he disclosed the issue, whatever it is, to Westphal. That's the first step in getting some kind of emotional support.

And that's another reason why they shouldn't fire Westphal. You don't fire Tyreke's coach and mentor when he's going through emotional issues. It's common sense that Tyreke would need stability, not instability in his life right now.

Last edited:
Interesting development. So it's not just the foot. The overtones for something more serious have been hanging like a cloud for months now, and now we at least know the subject matter. I think it's a very good thing he disclosed the issue, whatever it is, to Westphal. That's the first step in getting some kind of emotional support.

And that's another reason why they shouldn't fire Westphal. You don't fire Tyreke's coach and mentor when he's going through emotional issues. It's common sense that Tyreke would need stability, not instability in his life right now.

Well you knew it wasn't just the foot when it was reported that he had the "mildest" case for plantar fasciitis and that it shouldn't even be bothering him much, if at all. I remember the game following that article he played well then he slipped back into a crappy player.. It had to be mental.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Listen, I love Tyreke, I really do. But, we need to really stop making excuses about his awful terrible pathetic performance this year. I don't know what his "personal issue" is so I don't want to completely ignore that but besides that and his mild injury, according to Geoff Petrie, he just hasn't played even average this year and people need to seriously take into realization that he didn't improve his game enough to counter NBA defenses preparing for him. It's that including with his lack of focus on the court, which I am sure has to do with his personal issue so I won't make too much of a comment about it until I hear what exactly is up with that situation. The best thing for him to do, this organization and the fanbase is to either sit down or take a leave of absence, I mean really. This is just getting ridiculous, he might not be the type to speak up about his problems or what not but if it's hurting his team, which it is, he needs to say something to either the coach, petrie or his brothers so they can tell them themselves.

Listen, I love Tyreke, I really do. But, we need to really stop making excuses about his awful terrible pathetic performance this year. I don't know what his "personal issue" is so I don't want to completely ignore that but besides that and his mild injury, according to Geoff Petrie, he just hasn't played even average this year and people need to seriously take into realization that he didn't improve his game enough to counter NBA defenses preparing for him. It's that including with his lack of focus on the court, which I am sure has to do with his personal issue so I won't make too much of a comment about it until I hear what exactly is up with that situation. The best thing for him to do, this organization and the fanbase is to either sit down or take a leave of absence, I mean really. This is just getting ridiculous, he might not be the type to speak up about his problems or what not but if it's hurting his team, which it is, he needs to say something to either the coach, petrie or his brothers so they can tell them themselves.
Yea, I don't know what the problem is but if he can be with the team and be in games, then it shouldn't have any affect on his performance in the court. Westphal says "Tyreke has personal problems" and all of the sudden everyone is like "oh, that explains it" without even knowing what this supposed problem is. To me, it sounds more like "my grandma ate my homework on the way to my dog's funeral" type of excuse. I'm not buying it. Tyreke is in a slump and he needs to work on developing his game, something he should've done in the offseason. And Westphal needs to coach him through his slump, something he hasn't done since Tyreke first wore a Kings jersey (unless you count "go out there and do whatever you want" as coaching).

We have no idea what the issue is and it could be something extremely distressing to him personally.

so i won't be casting any aspersions on him in that respect.

but i think he does need to be more vocal in that sense and the coach needs to be far more mindful of his mental state from now on. Playing like he did last night is not good for either him or the team.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Yea, I don't know what the problem is but if he can be with the team and be in games, then it shouldn't have any affect on his performance in the court. Westphal says "Tyreke has personal problems" and all of the sudden everyone is like "oh, that explains it" without even knowing what this supposed problem is. To me, it sounds more like "my grandma ate my homework on the way to my dog's funeral" type of excuse. I'm not buying it. Tyreke is in a slump and he needs to work on developing his game, something he should've done in the offseason. And Westphal needs to coach him through his slump, something he hasn't done since Tyreke first wore a Kings jersey (unless you count "go out there and do whatever you want" as coaching).
You know, I don't want to question Tyreke's work ethic but I might have to. I mean look at Derrick Rose his second year, he went from having no jumper in his rookie season just like Tyreke, to having a pretty reliable jumper in ONLY his second year! I mean something has to give, right? I would assume Rose just wanted to put in more time and really really work on his weakness, which was and still is his jumper. Now look at him, I am pretty sure he's not even close to adding to his game. I don't want to compare the two, cause they aren't anything alike really, but I do sometimes question if Tyreke really thinks that playing like he is without a jumper will get him by.

We have no idea what the issue is and it could be something extremely distressing to him personally.

so i won't be casting any aspersions on him in that respect.

but i think he does need to be more vocal in that sense and the coach needs to be far more mindful of his mental state from now on. Playing like he did last night is not good for either him or the team.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's lying. I'm just saying whatever it is, if it doesn't prevent him from physically being with the team and playing in games, then that's not the thing causing him to miss shots, not pass to his teammates, and turn the ball over all the time. Carmelo had trade rumoros all around since the beginning of the season, and his sister was dying, and that didn't affect his performance in the least bit. Even Westphal said that he played some of his best basketball when he had problems.

If it was any other player shooting 2-13 and being a turnover machine - Beno, Cisco, Donte, Omri, whoever - do you think Westphal would be out there making excuses for them? Hell no, he would bench their *** and call up a scrub from the D-League to put in the starting lineup.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
When I think of Tyreke and his issues, I'm just reminded of the fact that he's a young guy. He may not be as young as Cousins in his emotional maturity, but he's not nearly a fully formed individual yet. His mumbling in front of the microphone is a perfect example. He appears to be a pretty introverted guy to me. Taking months to tell his coach about something so distressing to him that it is affecting his play speaks to the fact that he doesn't trust very easily. Having his brother be his shooting coach also tells me that he isn't very comfortable getting out of inner circle. Hopefully, he matures from this experience, whatever it is.

Why wait until the All-Star break to give him some rest? The whole NBA world knows he's not right at THIS moment, so why not grant him a leave now? The Kings couldn't possibly play worse than they are with Tyreke as he is right now. Let him take a couple of weeks off to rest his body and his mind. I'm not saying we cast him off the team for a while -- he obviously needs support right now and could still travel with the team -- but the pressure of carrying a crappy ballclub on top of everything else is probably (or most definitely) an unnecessary burden for a young player.

If he swears that he views the court as a sanctuary and that he wants to play, then absolutely, let him figure it out on the court. But we saw it yesterday -- he really doesn't seem in the mood for basketball right now, especially in this environment. It's seemed for quite a while now that there are external forces at work (i.e., management, ownership, coaching, his inner circle) that are pressuring him to play through everything.

Let the kid heal up.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Why wait until the All-Star break to give him some rest? The whole NBA world knows he's not right at THIS moment, so why not grant him a leave now? The Kings couldn't possibly play worse than they are with Tyreke as he is right now. Let him take a couple of weeks off to rest his body and his mind. I'm not saying we cast him off the team for a while -- he obviously needs support right now and could still travel with the team -- but the pressure of carrying a crappy ballclub on top of everything else is probably (or most definitely) an unnecessary burden for a young player.

If he swears that he views the court as a sanctuary and that he wants to play, then absolutely, let him figure it out on the court. But we saw it yesterday -- he really doesn't seem in the mood for basketball right now, especially in this environment. It's seemed for quite a while now that there are external forces at work (i.e., management, ownership, coaching, his inner circle) that are pressuring him to play through everything.

Let the kid heal up.
Everything I've heard is that management and coaching is deferring to Tyreke. If he wants to play, ok. If he doesn't want to play, ok.

Everything I've heard is that management and coaching is deferring to Tyreke. If he wants to play, ok. If he doesn't want to play, ok.
Alright, so let's assume that's true and we'll look at this in the best light: he's given the choice from management to play or not, and he feels obligated as the anointed franchise savior to battle through everything and keep playing. A young guy like him with his maturity might just be doing this out of selflessness, or whatever the motivating factor may be.

In the end, shouldn't it still be up to the management to make this judgement call? They have to be watching the games too. And now that the personal issues have somewhat come to light, why not step in and rest him for his own good (whether against his will or not)? That's all I'm saying. It becomes a moral obligation on the part of the team that might just benefit everyone in the long run.

I never believed in the whole "his foot is injured" stuff as reason for his poor play, but now its some "personal issue" ? I dont buy it. Sounds like a bunch of talk for the media and fans to mull over while the organization tries to solve the real problem: tyreke's lack of BBIQ. Only my opinion, but thats what i think of it.