The Tyreke Evans Saga

Although this post is quite negative (and probably way too long), this is not a trade Tyreke thread.

Tyreke Evans presents quite the quandry.

POINT GUARD TYREKE: Last year Tyreke showed that he could break down the defense and score in traffic or pass to open perimeter shooters. He certainly looked like he had the skills to play point guard and his size was almost equally intriguing defensively. Yes, his shot mechanics were horrendous, but many figured this would improve with time--as it often does. Many figured that the Kings should acquire outside shooters to compliment Tyreke's game, so driving lanes would be open and they could take advantage of his "Lebron of PG's" style. Even then it was clear that Tyreke was more proficient at passing to three point shooters than dishing to bigs down low in traffic--that was just his game.

Unfortunately, the perfect storm came. Petrie did not acquire shooters. Tyreke regressed. There are some rationalizations re: the latter: mild plantar fascitis, defensive adjustments, and so on--and some of these explanations may account for some of the problem. It has been suggested by some that Tyreke was given the keys to the franchise way too early last year and I agree. Tyreke appears to be one of the primary culprits re: not running plays late in games, instead reverting to one-on-one heroics of yesteryear. He probably imagines himself carrying this team in 4th quarters. What he might not remember, and who could with all the 20-5-5 fanfare, is that the Kings had a horrible record last year with this strategy. Forgive my rambling, but the point of this tale is that Tyreke's growth as a PG has obviously been stunted and I think much of it results from how he was handled.

To make things worse, "the blueprint" is probably more influenced by his brothers who are showing him tape of his shooting stroke in high school. Seriously? That's the answer? If I'm a poor shooter, I'm not going to watch tapes of myself 3 years ago ... This approach is sabotaging the Kings' other bright idea: SHOOTING GUARD TYREKE. It's really important that shooting guards can shoot, and Tyreke obviously can't. He's not even close with his attempts of late. If anything, his shot mechanics look identicle to last season. There was talk of Tyreke comming off screens more and bringing the ball up court less, but this hasn't consistently occurred and is not making much of a difference when it does. And the Kings don't really have any other legit options at point guard to make this happen anyway: Beno is a nice back up combo guard for a playoff team and Pooh is a third string PG at best.

Long story short is this: IMHO Tyreke has been led astray by the Kings and his handlers. I think he's probably pretty embarrassed by his recent play, but it's difficult to empathize when he stubbornly forces plays in 4th quarters. He needs to be held accountable, but not shamed. His confidence already appears to be at an all time low right now. He needs to be held to the same standards as a Donte Greene, but this probably will not happen while Westphal is coach because he's already made his bed in this regard.

Lets look at last night. Tyreke shot about 20 percent from the field last night. He turned the ball over again and again in the 4th. The pattern has become so glaring. He's not listening. Players allude to it in the locker room but don't want to call him out--I mean, if Westphal wont do it then how safe do they feel being real? It's long overdue for Westphal to pull Tyreke for bonehead plays and make him accountable. The season is lost anyway. Put Pooh in if you have to: at this point it's less about W's and L's and more about learning to play the game the right way.

Looking toward the future, regardless of how frustrating Tyreke has been this season, he and Demarcus are clearly the core of the Kings' rebuild. Rebuilding isn't only about acquiring young talent, it's about teaching them how to play winning basketball. I'm confident that he will eventually "get it" with proper guidance, the question is when and will he ever get it? Wake up Petrie! Acquire a coach who will hold Evans accountable and get some reliable outside shooters.

a. Evans is a very talented basketball player.
b. The coach made him almost GOD, but he's not.
c. I don't know Evans character but I think there're few guys over there who r not so friendly, both on court and outside the court.
d. a player who shoots every game more than 20 times, hitting around 4-5 baskets, should lower his throws to at least half of it, giving his teamates opportunity to shoot also.
e. Evans has to understand that shooting is not everything. Many great player while in bad times had sharpened their skills in giving assists, improving defence and much more.
f. Nba groups have learnt Evans and now he finds that penetrating becomes more and more difficult.
g. There's no coach that will kick Evans *** when he harms the team. a spineless coach who becomes more and more pathetic can't give his star (evans) the "father image" or inspirational influence that he needs so much.
h. evans do need another coach that will know how to restrain him to the good of his team.
and last word, WP is a dump-coach.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Although this post is quite negative (and probably way too long), this is not a trade Tyreke thread.

Tyreke Evans presents quite the quandry.

POINT GUARD TYREKE: Last year Tyreke showed that he could break down the defense and score in traffic or pass to open perimeter shooters. He certainly looked like he had the skills to play point guard and his size was almost equally intriguing defensively. Yes, his shot mechanics were horrendous, but many figured this would improve with time--as it often does. Many figured that the Kings should acquire outside shooters to compliment Tyreke's game, so driving lanes would be open and they could take advantage of his "Lebron of PG's" style. Even then it was clear that Tyreke was more proficient at passing to three point shooters than dishing to bigs down low in traffic--that was just his game.

Unfortunately, the perfect storm came. Petrie did not acquire shooters. Tyreke regressed. There are some rationalizations re: the latter: mild plantar fascitis, defensive adjustments, and so on--and some of these explanations may account for some of the problem. It has been suggested by some that Tyreke was given the keys to the franchise way too early last year and I agree. Tyreke appears to be one of the primary culprits re: not running plays late in games, instead reverting to one-on-one heroics of yesteryear. He probably imagines himself carrying this team in 4th quarters. What he might not remember, and who could with all the 20-5-5 fanfare, is that the Kings had a horrible record last year with this strategy. Forgive my rambling, but the point of this tale is that Tyreke's growth as a PG has obviously been stunted and I think much of it results from how he was handled.

To make things worse, "the blueprint" is probably more influenced by his brothers who are showing him tape of his shooting stroke in high school. Seriously? That's the answer? If I'm a poor shooter, I'm not going to watch tapes of myself 3 years ago ... This approach is sabotaging the Kings' other bright idea: SHOOTING GUARD TYREKE. It's really important that shooting guards can shoot, and Tyreke obviously can't. He's not even close with his attempts of late. If anything, his shot mechanics look identicle to last season. There was talk of Tyreke comming off screens more and bringing the ball up court less, but this hasn't consistently occurred and is not making much of a difference when it does. And the Kings don't really have any other legit options at point guard to make this happen anyway: Beno is a nice back up combo guard for a playoff team and Pooh is a third string PG at best.

Long story short is this: IMHO Tyreke has been led astray by the Kings and his handlers. I think he's probably pretty embarrassed by his recent play, but it's difficult to empathize when he stubbornly forces plays in 4th quarters. He needs to be held accountable, but not shamed. His confidence already appears to be at an all time low right now. He needs to be held to the same standards as a Donte Greene, but this probably will not happen while Westphal is coach because he's already made his bed in this regard.

Lets look at last night. Tyreke shot about 20 percent from the field last night. He turned the ball over again and again in the 4th. The pattern has become so glaring. He's not listening. Players allude to it in the locker room but don't want to call him out--I mean, if Westphal wont do it then how safe do they feel being real? It's long overdue for Westphal to pull Tyreke for bonehead plays and make him accountable. The season is lost anyway. Put Pooh in if you have to: at this point it's less about W's and L's and more about learning to play the game the right way.

Looking toward the future, regardless of how frustrating Tyreke has been this season, he and Demarcus are clearly the core of the Kings' rebuild. Rebuilding isn't only about acquiring young talent, it's about teaching them how to play winning basketball. I'm confident that he will eventually "get it" with proper guidance, the question is when and will he ever get it? Wake up Petrie! Acquire a coach who will hold Evans accountable and get some reliable outside shooters.
If you saw the game last night, Tyreke was buying in to team ball, not Tyreke ball. This post may end up being ancient history. I sure hope so.

L

Lafayette

Has anyone seen a BALLHOG around here selling BRICKS, no, well maybe he turned over and went home, HA!

I hope this trend becomes ancient history too, but tell me how shooting 4/20 is team ball? He was 1/11 at one point ... How do you keep shooting if that's the case? And many of his 4th quarter turnovers were trying to make something out of nothing off pick and roles and one on one play, so are you sure you were watching?

And bottom line, as I tried to emphasize, I think Tyreke is a keeper. I just think he has been severly mishandled and needs serious redirection.

The Kings played well and almost won despite Evans play. Just think how well the rest of the team is doing. If Tyreke is to continue in the lineup he needs sever changes in roll assignment. Take the ball out of his hands and into a point guard's. Love his rebounding but that is about it. Change his role until he proves himself ready to take on the role he has now.

c

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I hope this trend becomes ancient history too, but tell me how shooting 4/20 is team ball? He was 1/11 at one point ... How do you keep shooting if that's the case? And many of his 4th quarter turnovers were trying to make something out of nothing off pick and roles and one on one play, so are you sure you were watching?

And bottom line, as I tried to emphasize, I think Tyreke is a keeper. I just think he has been severly mishandled and needs serious redirection.
\I'm pretty sure no one would have complained if five more of Reke's missed layups managed to find their way into the hole.

L

Lafayette

\I'm pretty sure no one would have complained if five more of Reke's missed layups managed to find their way into the hole.
Your right but thats not the case and the whole season has been 3for15 games and just playing like... well you know.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Tyreke most definently has been having WAY too many games where is absolutely horrible in efficiency and having shooting games like 4/20, 5/18, 7/25 etc etc etc. Listen, I don't mind if he takes a lot of shots, he might as well, because other than Cousins and Landry/Beno to some extent, those two should be taking 20 shots EACH a game for all I care, whether their efficient or not, it will show them what they can and can't do and what they need to work on or make slight adjustments to what seems has a chance of working. But, if Tyreke is hurting us with his horrible shooting he needs to go out there and do other things to help this team, defend, hustle & rebound the ball. Too bad he doesn't hustle too often and only defends when he wants to, sigh.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Tyreke most definently has been having WAY too many games where is absolutely horrible in efficiency and having shooting games like 4/20, 5/18, 7/25 etc etc etc. Listen, I don't mind if he takes a lot of shots, he might as well, because other than Cousins and Landry/Beno to some extent, those two should be taking 20 shots EACH a game for all I care, whether their efficient or not, it will show them what they can and can't do and what they need to work on or make slight adjustments to what seems has a chance of working. But, if Tyreke is hurting us with his horrible shooting he needs to go out there and do other things to help this team, defend, hustle & rebound the ball. Too bad he doesn't hustle too often and only defends when he wants to, sigh.
Kind of like a guy grabbign 10rebs, notching 3 stls, dishing out 7asts and holding one of the league's top scorers to 40% shooting?

Kind of like a guy grabbign 10rebs, notching 3 stls, dishing out 7asts and holding one of the league's top scorers to 40% shooting?
Yes, but I still say his role on offense shoulc be severely curtailed and the ball taken out of his hands. If that were done, I would fully expect him to work his way back but I would hope, in the process, he would start doing things better.

L

Lafayette

You CANT BE BROKEN, you are Tyrekes biggest fan, damn you!

Okay, lets go through this again, ASSISTS DON'T MEAN ANYTHING, it's an overblown stat. Let me inform you on something that the NBA doesn't want you to know about, YOU HAVE TO PASS THE BALL, yup, I know, schocked, it's cool, don't tell anyone. He does grab rebounds (steals rebounds, crap loose balls) and shoot 20%, hahahahahaha! THE HYPE IS OVER because we were all fooled.

Seriously, I love the guys game but he needs to be told his role, he's a slashing SG that needs to stop chucking up shots and get to the line like Iverson did for the 76ers back in the day. SCORE, be a threat and stop trying to do too much, BOOOOO!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
You CANT BE BROKEN, you are Tyrekes biggest fan, damn you!

Okay, lets go through this again, ASSISTS DON'T MEAN ANYTHING, it's an overblown stat. Let me inform you on something that the NBA doesn't want you to know about, YOU HAVE TO PASS THE BALL, yup, I know, schocked, it's cool, don't tell anyone. He does grab rebounds (steals rebounds, crap loose balls) and shoot 20%, hahahahahaha! THE HYPE IS OVER because we were all fooled.

Seriously, I love the guys game but he needs to be told his role, he's a slashing SG that needs to stop chucking up shots and get to the line like Iverson did for the 76ers back in the day. SCORE, be a threat and stop trying to do too much, BOOOOO!
I'm pretty sure people would be more apt to give your argument credit if you stopped randomly INSERTING CAPITALIZED words IN your POSTS.

And I'm pretty sure to get to the line, you at least have to look like you'll shoot the ball every once in a while.

So in conclusion, deep breaths, don't give yourself an ulcer.

L

Lafayette

I'm pretty sure people would be more apt to give your argument credit if you stopped randomly INSERTING CAPITALIZED words IN your POSTS.

And I'm pretty sure to get to the line, you at least have to look like you'll shoot the ball every once in a while.

So in conclusion, deep breaths, don't give yourself an ulcer.
NO, YOU STOP THAT NOW... HAHAHAHA!

Seriously, Tyreke sucks!

If he would just hit his layups he would look that much better. He should just put it higher off the glass and make it obvious that he intends for Landry or Dalembert to dunk it. Then he'll average 10 assists a game.

Well as long as another player follows him in the lane to clean up his lay up misses........:) How many times did that happen in the GSW game??? 5.....6?

Note to Reke: We love you Tyreke but give up the 5 for 20 nights. Pass the ball and let a team mate play. Once the team game is established the driving lanes should open up for you.

KB

Kingster

Hall of Famer

It's team ball because the shots were taken within the offense, mostly drives at the basket. If he has an open drive the basket, he's got to continue to go to the hole, regardless of whether he's missed five layups in a row. On the other hand, if he's out there at the 3 pt line dribbling away and shooting with a hand in his face, and not passing the ball, then that's not team ball. If he's not throwing the ball upcourt, but instead lolligagging in the backcourt dribbling, that's not team ball. He actually played team ball against GS. He shot horribly. He had some terrible 4th quarter turnovers, but he did play team ball. I just hope the team ball trend continues.

Regarding his off-season shooting regiment, that's been my ongoing rant since the season began. It's absolutely absurd. The guy has got to get an excellent shooting coach this off-season. You're not in jr. high anymore, Tyreke.

For those of you above who are defending Tyreke and talking about his positive contributions to the team, do you have any suggestions about improving his offense behavior. In my book I don't think any regular/frequent shooter should be shooting for such a poor percentage - all shots, be taking poor shots, be shooting jumpers when he is not making them, who is slow at bringing the ball up, who is very slow and hesitant to pass, who most often uses the pass as a last resort, who goes for the basket and passes off, half the time to teammate for a nice shot and half the time either out of bounds or to the opposition. If I have exagerated anything I'm don't mean to other than to make it clear what I'm talking about. What should the coach do about that?

Everyone say it with me.... "Evans is NOT a PG, and will never be a PG."

Quit trying to make him something he's not.. He's a ball handling SG, and he can be dang good at that if we had a PG that would play into his strengths.

Yes, I miscounted by 1 FG. Maybe we should take it up at recess after nap time is over?

Do you realize how ridiculously petty you sound?
Over the course of a season the difference between 40 and 44% defensively is a pretty big thing.. He didn't do a good job on defense. He did a good job rebounding and I can't count every steal, but didn't he get burned twice trying for a steal that wasn't there? Anyway, his defense is subpar this year, his offense is VERY subpar this year, and his PG skills are non existant.

The "personal issue" that Coach said he just found out about is going to remain in house apparently. Coach said the personal problem is affecting him but that Reke is a "warrior." He said Reke revealed it to him after the game and now says "issues in his life" are affecting his play.

The "personal issue" that Coach said he just found out about is going to remain in house apparently. Coach said the personal problem is affecting him but that Reke is a "warrior." He said Reke revealed it to him after the game and now says "issues in his life" are affecting his play.
Dunno, his mom and grandma were courtside tonight.

Tyreke Evans, 2for13 agaisnt the BUCKS, hahahahahaha... JUMP SHOOTING MASTER!
Lafeyette, you're a complete ***. We get it, Tyreke is struggling, but does every single post from you have to be about how much you hate him? Seriously man, lay off it. I know how annoying "20/5/5" might be to hear, but he did that last year over an entire season. That wasn't a fluke. Something is really affecting Tyreke (Westphal said its a personal matter that he isn't even willing to reveal). The guy is having something truly bothering him on a personal level and its affecting his game. Give up the grudge.