Demarcus

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
You may be right. It's just that when they were talking about Cousins getting thrown out of practice, it seemed to me that Barkley shrugged that off as no big deal; it was the other stuff, whatever that is, had him concerned.
Going by memory, I have the feeling that Kenny Smith was trying to shrug it off and Barkley was the shrugging off Kenny Smith's shrug-off. ;)

Either way, I have to say that since the "low point" of getting thrown out of practice, I think Cousins has looked very solid. I wasn't sure what I thought five games into the season, but I like what I'm seeing right now.

Exactly. Consider the source here people. CHARLES BARKLEY is calling a player immature.
SMH.
So you're saying that Barkley doesn't have the right to call someone immature, because he was immature too? I really don't understand the logic here. Is Antoine Wright wrong if he tells Ellie not to get a DUI??

Barkley doesn't have the right to call someone immature, because he was immature too? I really don't understand the logic here
I've never understood the logic there, either. I run into this with people all the time though. It's actually somewaht of a pet peeve with me. It's like saying a former fat person doesn't have the right to call anyone fat. It's not as if them calling someone fat would be denying their own former fatness. They're simply making an obeservation.

I've never understood the logic there, either. I run into this with people all the time though. It's actually somewaht of a pet peeve with me. It's like saying a former fat person doesn't have the right to call anyone fat. It's not as if them calling someone fat would be denying their own former fatness. They're simply making an obeservation.
Exactly! Thanks.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the post. Nice to see an article that displays the other side of Cousins. And the article was fair. It didn't ignore his faults. I thought the reference to the practice he was kicked out of was somewhat revealing.

"According to sources close to the team, part of their practice argument touched on the banner and the topic of perception vs. reality when it came to Cousins' place in the NBA. Cousins took exception to the notion that he felt entitled because of such marketing nonsense, and responded in the kind of loud-and-proud way that gets one sent home early."

It was also interesting that Cousins was releived when the banner was taken down. I think he's going to be fine. It will take a while, but in a few years no one will remember this stuff.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Thanks for the post. Nice to see an article that displays the other side of Cousins. And the article was fair. It didn't ignore his faults. I thought the reference to the practice he was kicked out of was somewhat revealing.

"According to sources close to the team, part of their practice argument touched on the banner and the topic of perception vs. reality when it came to Cousins' place in the NBA. Cousins took exception to the notion that he felt entitled because of such marketing nonsense, and responded in the kind of loud-and-proud way that gets one sent home early."

It was also interesting that Cousins was releived when the banner was taken down. I think he's going to be fine. It will take a while, but in a few years no one will remember this stuff.
Going back to another thing in the article, how many people remember how truly abrasive Charles Barkley was as a player?

Going back to another thing in the article, how many people remember how truly abrasive Charles Barkley was as a player?
Great points. There are certain, few players who's behavior is so far over the line it affects their team. But for 90% of NBA history, most guys have been ok, a lot seems to get overblown now that we are in the midst of total media scrutiny.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I certainly do. That doesn't mean he doesn't have the right to comment. But I think his comments would have a little more validity if he referred to his own experiences, and the learning process he had to go through, instead of just taking the high road as though he were an angel as a young player.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Yeah that would have made all the difference. It wouldn't have seemed hypocritical then.
To be honest, I didn't think of his comments as being hypocritical, at least not intentionally, but him just having selective memory. Sir Charles loves to pontificate, and at times he gets caught in the passion of the moment. I doubt he really knows much about Cousins other than what he's heard. I have very clear memory's of Barkley when he came into the league, so to me its the pot calling the kettle black. But there are a lot of fans that have never even seen Barkley play, or know anything of his past, so he'd probably have more influence over them.

To be honest, I didn't think of his comments as being hypocritical, at least not intentionally, but him just having selective memory. Sir Charles loves to pontificate, and at times he gets caught in the passion of the moment. I doubt he really knows much about Cousins other than what he's heard. I have very clear memory's of Barkley when he came into the league, so to me its the pot calling the kettle black. But there are a lot of fans that have never even seen Barkley play, or know anything of his past, so he'd probably have more influence over them.
I think he was trying to protect Westfail more than anything. Put the blame somewhere else to help save his job.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'm starting to think Cousins will eventually be more valuable than Evans. Or maybe this is just...a really huge long slump.
No, I think you may be right. He clearly seems like he can be our go to guy consistently once he gets mature and adds more to his game. A big man is crucial for success in the W/L column, but especially in the playoffs, whenever we get there.

Very accomplished game from cuz last night. He really does have all the skills to be a franchise player. Just needs to work on that conditioning and consistency.

So you're saying that Barkley doesn't have the right to call someone immature, because he was immature too? I really don't understand the logic here. Is Antoine Wright wrong if he tells Ellie not to get a DUI??
He is entitled to his opinion but he's painting the kettle black that's all. It doesn't mean he's wrong about Cousins but he's being a bit hypocritical and therefore I take what barley says with a grain of salt. On the other hand, him being immature could qualify him as an expert in said field.

N

nbaFan

He's a loose cannon, a hothead, its inevitable that it will show up sometime. He's on his best behavior for obvious reasons. He's Zach Randolph reincarnated, just a little bigger. Same rep, same attitude issues, doesnt or hasnt always got along with teammates,coaches,the law. Zach looks nice on paper doesnt he?? 20/10 , but hes a loser, nobody wants him, cant lead a team. You wont see him gather all his teammates around to huddle to get going. Hes a Me first player, scores at will inside ,rebounds like beast. But cant make anyone else better, 0 leadership, not a winner. I know all you dudes are just dying for this guy to be a hero, the #5 pick, the hoopla ,the "potential" blah blah blah. Its not him folks, your setting yourselves up for a big disapointment. He'll throw a headband in the stands or jersey in disgust after being pulled before dec 31st

well I was close. Do I have any supporters now?? I'll check back on this thread in a month.

The Kings are putting too much power in the hands of Demarcus. He is a freaking rookie. You dont put a big'ol mirror of someone, much less a rookie, on the side of your home arena. That's stupid. All you're doing is giving him a bigger head.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The Kings are putting too much power in the hands of Demarcus. He is a freaking rookie. You dont put a big'ol mirror of someone, much less a rookie, on the side of your home arena. That's stupid. All you're doing is giving him a bigger head.
Do you actually have anything positive to say?