Demarcus

sorry, ive seen enough of this guy, he's got Benoit Benjamin written all over him. Yes he will have some good games here and there that will get your hopes up but he'll be this perennial underachiever who never lives up to expectations, battling weight issues and conflicts with coaches,teammates etc. He just has this aura of me, me ,me and not team team team. He'll self destruct and cause chemistry issues until his rookie scale contract is up, then demand a max contract for a mid-level performance and then ***** about respect when we offer him less. Iv seen this type before. He's not a winner, he's immature. When he reaches the point of scoring 20 pts and 10 rebounds in a game he'll rest on his laurels instead of trying to become even better, he'll follow it up with a 6 pt 3 reb game 4 fouls and then complain in the press about playing time. Ive seen his kind before. I hope they trade him while he still has value. I mean can you honestly see this guy and his personality leading this team to the promised land, I dont. He's a run of the mill big man with "potential" cuz he is 20. He's bad for this team, watch.
Wait, I just noticed the "run of the mill big man" part. Are you kidding me? Have you seen his passing skills? Nothing run of the mill about them. I saw someone the other day say that Cousins has the best court vision of anyone on the team and I agree with that. It seems like you've convicted him before he's even committed the crime. People think I focus on the negative but you make me look like Tony Robbins, lol.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think the key for any player is always mixing it up. The priority for a big man should always be scoring inside, but if the shot is there it's fine to occasionally mix in a couple of outside shots. What I don't like is him turning the ball over trying to get inside, in which case I'd rather he just shoot from the outside. I hate to say this, but I honestly feel that Cousins cost us the game against the Hornets. Like you said though, it's a good learning experience for Cousins, and knowing how fast he picks things up I dare say we'll slowly start seeing him cut down on the TOs.
While he did have 4 turnovers, so did Dalembert and Head. Tyreke, Greene and Landry all had 3 turnovers. So I think it was a combined effort. Not fair to single him out as the blame for the loss. He certainly didn't have his best game by far. There was probably no one more frustrated than him.

Going in, I doubt very few thought we would come away with a win. As it turned out, it was a very competitive game against a team thats playing well right now. 22 turnovers against the Timberwolves would totally unacceptable. But against the Hornets, its more understandable. Still hard to watch though.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
sorry, ive seen enough of this guy, he's got Benoit Benjamin written all over him. Yes he will have some good games here and there that will get your hopes up but he'll be this perennial underachiever who never lives up to expectations, battling weight issues and conflicts with coaches,teammates etc. He just has this aura of me, me ,me and not team team team. He'll self destruct and cause chemistry issues until his rookie scale contract is up, then demand a max contract for a mid-level performance and then ***** about respect when we offer him less. Iv seen this type before. He's not a winner, he's immature. When he reaches the point of scoring 20 pts and 10 rebounds in a game he'll rest on his laurels instead of trying to become even better, he'll follow it up with a 6 pt 3 reb game 4 fouls and then complain in the press about playing time. Ive seen his kind before. I hope they trade him while he still has value. I mean can you honestly see this guy and his personality leading this team to the promised land, I dont. He's a run of the mill big man with "potential" cuz he is 20. He's bad for this team, watch.
Troll! You just went on my ignore list. Goodbye..

Not necessarily trolling. There are quite a few people out there who have an extremely negative opinion of Cousins. Good thing too because that's what allowed The Kings to draft him!
In this case its obvious trolling. Pretty sure its not a Kings fan either. Probably a fan of one of the teams that's trying to get Cousins by creating media "incidents" and trying to get the Kings to trade him.

While he did have 4 turnovers, so did Dalembert and Head. Tyreke, Greene and Landry all had 3 turnovers. So I think it was a combined effort. Not fair to single him out as the blame for the loss.
(not directed at you, baja)

But it's perfectly fine to blame Landry for the loss.

Guess this thread didn't get the memo.
:p

Troll! You just went on my ignore list. Goodbye..
Agreed... brand new poster and every post (11) with a negative connotation... Mostly found in Kings leaving Sac threads (with a self satisfying sorry I'm telling you so). Don't put him on ignore though, wild trolls need to be countered.... and run out.

(not directed at you, baja)

But it's perfectly fine to blame Landry for the loss.

Guess this thread didn't get the memo.
:p
Did Landry like ... mow your lawn or something over the summer? Beno is getting called out just as much as Landry is for his defence. Carl Landry is undersized and easily overpowered, that is a fact. He is not able to guard much bigger guys nor rebound over them, and as a result can hurt the team quite a bit when his offence isn't there either. Nobody's blaming Landry for all the losses, in every win or loss it's always a result of a combined team effort. You can say who sucked most, and on some nights it's fair to say that it was Landry, on some nights it's fair to say it was Tyreke, and on all nights it's fair to say Lebron James.

geez. Go take your Landry war to Brick via PM or something.

You are totally right. We should trade him for Darko while we still can. Only through Milicic shall we be led to the promise land.

One thing that does stick out like a sore thumb is that he's 6'11" 270 lbs...and shoots 39% from the field. Granted, it's very early in the season, but wow. As I've stated in another thread, he's such a great finisher but currently takes what are very low-percentage mid-range J's, and that's screwing up his offensive efficiency badly. Also massively turnover prone with overdoing the ballhandling, even if it's nice to see it in display at times. And foul prone. He's showing tons of warts, and while the mid-range shot could be most correctable given what he did in college the rest might not be as much (he was also foul prone at college). But I like the arrangement with him--play him off the bench until he shows drastic improvement, have Dalembert cover up as starter for the time being. For all his offensive warts right now, he's still producing like an OK roleplayer in impact, so while he's not helping us, he's not killing us either.

He really ranked highly with me in the draft, particularly with his offense, so I can't help but think that eventually he'll become a good offensive player over time--not to mention that high usage, high turnover big men who can create their own shots (as he is) tend to progress much further on offense than your prototypical shotblockers and stiffs. Based on his college numbers I'm still calling for him to be a very good scorer and rebounder eventually, but I'll be skeptical of the defense between the lack of blocks/fouls. To me, he'll be a player who can do that scoring/rebounding thing well, but will also have warts (such as those I mentioned) that will also frustrate fans at times. He might just need time and nurturing, but I could understand why some are really skeptical about him--with his weight history, motivation/immaturity issues, and now the immature overall game he's showing, there could be flameout potential--not because of the talent, but because of motivation. I tend to be on the former side--I really think he's a great offensive talent with the physical tools to aid him there, and think he can get there eventually. Might not be this season, but hopefully incremental improvements over the next couple of seasons.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
One thing that does stick out like a sore thumb is that he's 6'11" 270 lbs...and shoots 39% from the field. Granted, it's very early in the season, but wow. As I've stated in another thread, he's such a great finisher but currently takes what are very low-percentage mid-range J's, and that's screwing up his offensive efficiency badly. Also massively turnover prone with overdoing the ballhandling, even if it's nice to see it in display at times. And foul prone. He's showing tons of warts, and while the mid-range shot could be most correctable given what he did in college the rest might not be as much (he was also foul prone at college). But I like the arrangement with him--play him off the bench until he shows drastic improvement, have Dalembert cover up as starter for the time being. For all his offensive warts right now, he's still producing like an OK roleplayer in impact, so while he's not helping us, he's not killing us either.

He really ranked highly with me in the draft, particularly with his offense, so I can't help but think that eventually he'll become a good offensive player over time--not to mention that high usage, high turnover big men who can create their own shots (as he is) tend to progress much further on offense than your prototypical shotblockers and stiffs. Based on his college numbers I'm still calling for him to be a very good scorer and rebounder eventually, but I'll be skeptical of the defense between the lack of blocks/fouls. To me, he'll be a player who can do that scoring/rebounding thing well, but will also have warts (such as those I mentioned) that will also frustrate fans at times. He might just need time and nurturing, but I could understand why some are really skeptical about him--with his weight history, motivation/immaturity issues, and now the immature overall game he's showing, there could be flameout potential--not because of the talent, but because of motivation. I tend to be on the former side--I really think he's a great offensive talent with the physical tools to aid him there, and think he can get there eventually. Might not be this season, but hopefully incremental improvements over the next couple of seasons.
You're watching a different Demarcus than I am.

How so? I still think he'll be a good offensive player with good rebounding ability and the added bonus of ballhandling, and that's probably the real upshot to his game, and it's not a bad one either. But it's hard to ignore the inefficiency at the same time that he's displayed on offense so far. He's very overzealous so far--very talented, but hasn't harnessed it into one complete product yet, more like flashes. So while we can talk about improvements and whatnot there might be a relatively steep learning curve. That's all I'm saying--acknowledging his full-out potential, while recognizing his current flaws. We'll see what transpires, and hopefully we can refer back to this thread in two years and see how Cousins has developed.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
How so? I still think he'll be a good offensive player with good rebounding ability and the added bonus of ballhandling, and that's probably the real upshot to his game, and it's not a bad one either. But it's hard to ignore the inefficiency at the same time that he's displayed on offense so far. He's very overzealous so far--very talented, but hasn't harnessed it into one complete product yet, more like flashes. So while we can talk about improvements and whatnot there might be a relatively steep learning curve. That's all I'm saying--acknowledging his full-out potential, while recognizing his current flaws. We'll see what transpires, and hopefully we can refer back to this thread in two years and see how Cousins has developed.
His verticality worries me, but otherwise its not that uncommon for kids who are real young when they enter the league to struggle with efficiency as rookies, in particular when they great offensive skillsets and are aggressive on that end. LeBron and Kobe shot .417 as rookies. Dirk shot .405. Takes a while to sort out the good shots form the bad sometimes. Not even really what we should be watching for. Watch the skills, be amazed, and then wait for the game to mature.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Not concerned about Cousins. At least not yet. His performance has been up, down and all around. It's to be expected this year. By and large, I like the way Westphal is using him. If we had a Chris Paul on this team I think you'd see a lot more of him getting the ball in the post, but this team just isn't that advanced at getting him the ball, yet.

The last thing I'm concerned about is Cousins' offense. He has good feet, good touch with the ball, good dribbling ability, and good passing ability. It's the defense that is going to his greatest challenge. He's got to be serious about his off-season conditioning program. Supposedly, he hired a conditioning coach this last summer. Cousins should fire him. He obviously didn't do the trick. I said it a zillion times before the season began: the #1 thing I wanted to see from Cousins was him in great shape. Didn't happen. So next summer is critical for him. After the rookie year, there's no excuses anymore about conditioning. It's put up or shut up.

Not concerned about Cousins. At least not yet. His performance has been up, down and all around. It's to be expected this year. By and large, I like the way Westphal is using him. If we had a Chris Paul on this team I think you'd see a lot more of him getting the ball in the post, but this team just isn't that advanced at getting him the ball, yet.

The last thing I'm concerned about is Cousins' offense. He has good feet, good touch with the ball, good dribbling ability, and good passing ability. It's the defense that is going to his greatest challenge. He's got to be serious about his off-season conditioning program. Supposedly, he hired a conditioning coach this last summer. Cousins should fire him. He obviously didn't do the trick. I said it a zillion times before the season began: the #1 thing I wanted to see from Cousins was him in great shape. Didn't happen. So next summer is critical for him. After the rookie year, there's no excuses anymore about conditioning. It's put up or shut up.
It took Al Jefferson 4 years to be a 20-10 guy. His first two years were rather unspectacular statisticly. Cousins is showing A LOT of skill and A LOT of flaws. Give him 4 years and I think you've got yourself a 20-10 that maybe adds another 4 assists. He's actually a lot like the groundbound C-Webb, but with quicker feet.

Defensively, I think he'll always be somewhat of a liability, but his creativity on offense this early has me thinking you can run the offense through him. That's HUGE, especially if Tyreke doesn't end up a "legit" PG.

In the near term, I'd like him to face up and drive about 50% less, take the open jumper, and try and get him the ball closer to the basket. His face up game is intriguing, but he's using it at the expense of a back to the basket game, which he will need to develop.

All he needs to do is work and not get fat. Everything else will sort itself out within the next 5 years.

K

Kingsguy881

He was pissed off. Westphal just chewed his butt for dribbling out for the handoff that was a turnover. Westphal yelled just dont dribble.
To Cousins credit, he was being held all the way out to Head by West. I was at the game and had the same view the ref did and I'm pretty sure the ref heard me yelling about it cuz he looked in my direction but it was pretty blatant, the hold was. Excuse me for a minute, I have a troll to roll....

K

Kingsguy881

You should change your screen name to dubious. I noticed how you used Bennoit Benjamin as your comparison. See a lot of him down there in LA where you live? Run of the mill big man with soft hands, great moves around the basket, soft touch on his jumper, and the ability to hit free throws as a big, with great court vision and the ability to command a double team. Riiiiiiiiight. So which reincarnated banned poster are you?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It took Al Jefferson 4 years to be a 20-10 guy. His first two years were rather unspectacular statisticly. Cousins is showing A LOT of skill and A LOT of flaws. Give him 4 years and I think you've got yourself a 20-10 that maybe adds another 4 assists. He's actually a lot like the groundbound C-Webb, but with quicker feet.

Defensively, I think he'll always be somewhat of a liability, but his creativity on offense this early has me thinking you can run the offense through him. That's HUGE, especially if Tyreke doesn't end up a "legit" PG.

In the near term, I'd like him to face up and drive about 50% less, take the open jumper, and try and get him the ball closer to the basket. His face up game is intriguing, but he's using it at the expense of a back to the basket game, which he will need to develop.

All he needs to do is work and not get fat. Everything else will sort itself out within the next 5 years.
I totally agree. If he gets himself into excellent shape, he'll be fine. Just don't hang out with Greene in the off-season.;) He does have the talent to be a 20-10 guy. If he puts his nose to the grindstone, I think he could get there sooner than four years. More like two to three years, just as a guess.

At this point, the only limit that I'm willing to put on his defense is that he's never going to be Dwight Howard.:eek: I'd like to see what kind of quickness and agility he would have if he were in phenomenal shape - Kobe Bryant type shape, or for 9rs fans, Jerry Rice type shape. With his lateral quickness and strength, I think he could be more than adequate. But again, it comes down to how much he really wants it.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Obviously he's in better shape right now than he was at the beginning of training camp. He appears to be less winded after extended minutes and is getting his butt back on defense better. I think, and hope that next year will be different. I really believe that if he can get himself into great shape and get his weight to 265/260, he can be a dominate player in the NBA. He has very quick feet for a player his size, and they will only get quicker at a lighter weight. The lighter weight certainly won't hurt his hops either.

As for this year and his hiring a trainer. I just don't think young players coming out of college really understand how good a shape you have to be in to play in the NBA. Cousins probably worked twice as hard as he did going into college and thought, wow, I'm really in great shape. That lasted until he got on the floor. Its all a learning experience. I think the kid wants to be great, and seems willing to work to that end. I think its foolish to pass judgement based on the few games he's played so far. He just played his worse game of the year. He also preceded it with his best game of the year. I think the fact that the Hornets are one of the best defensive teams in the NBA might have something to do with his worse game.

His verticality worries me, but otherwise its not that uncommon for kids who are real young when they enter the league to struggle with efficiency as rookies, in particular when they great offensive skillsets and are aggressive on that end. LeBron and Kobe shot .417 as rookies. Dirk shot .405. Takes a while to sort out the good shots form the bad sometimes. Not even really what we should be watching for. Watch the skills, be amazed, and then wait for the game to mature.
They're perimeter players.

All Cousins really needs to learn to do is be comfortable with that jumper. Anyone who watched the pre-draft workout videos with the Kings knows that he can drill those all day long. I think coach has beat it into his head to "get into the post" and so he goes to the dribble as the first option. He's pretty much automatic around the free throw line. If he trusts that jumper ala CWebb he will be a 20/10 guy in no time flat.
A pre-draft workout is not a game.

Last edited:
I like what I see from him, he makes progress each game when he sets his mind into it.. he'll get the hang of things after the all-star break and will flurish(spelling?) then.. he will be more comfterable in show-casing his full offensive post moves, which he doesn't right now, and blend in better into the teams offence.

He's playing just fine, and I didn't expect more out of him... up till now i'm satisfied with him during the season, the boy wants to be a star and he WILL be one too.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Obviously he's in better shape right now than he was at the beginning of training camp. He appears to be less winded after extended minutes and is getting his butt back on defense better. I think, and hope that next year will be different. I really believe that if he can get himself into great shape and get his weight to 265/260, he can be a dominate player in the NBA. He has very quick feet for a player his size, and they will only get quicker at a lighter weight. The lighter weight certainly won't hurt his hops either.

As for this year and his hiring a trainer. I just don't think young players coming out of college really understand how good a shape you have to be in to play in the NBA. Cousins probably worked twice as hard as he did going into college and thought, wow, I'm really in great shape. That lasted until he got on the floor. Its all a learning experience. I think the kid wants to be great, and seems willing to work to that end. I think its foolish to pass judgement based on the few games he's played so far. He just played his worse game of the year. He also preceded it with his best game of the year. I think the fact that the Hornets are one of the best defensive teams in the NBA might have something to do with his worse game.
If Cousins were on a good team with a lot of outside threats, he probably wouldn't press things, he'd be the recipient of a lot of assisted baskets, and he would be letting the game come to him. For example, if he were on the Celtics right now, he'd be the talk of the league. His shooting percentage would be up, he'd have space to work with, and he'd be with a winning team. Also, Garnett would get on his A$$ if he ever screwed up, like coming into camp out of shape.:D But the reality now is that Cousins is on a team that is offensively deprived. And he's pressing in order to get some baskets. In a somewhat similar way, Tyreke is going through some of the same issues. It's all going to work out as long as Westphal and his coaches can impart a serious work ethic to these guys. Greene is a case in point. It's really not nearly as much about the rotation and minutes and Xs and Os as it is about work ethic. The rest will take care of itself.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
If Cousins were on a good team with a lot of outside threats, he probably wouldn't press things, he'd be the recipient of a lot of assisted baskets, and he would be letting the game come to him. For example, if he were on the Celtics right now, he'd be the talk of the league. His shooting percentage would be up, he'd have space to work with, and he'd be with a winning team. Also, Garnett would get on his A$$ if he ever screwed up, like coming into camp out of shape.:D But the reality now is that Cousins is on a team that is offensively deprived. And he's pressing in order to get some baskets. In a somewhat similar way, Tyreke is going through some of the same issues. It's all going to work out as long as Westphal and his coaches can impart a serious work ethic to these guys. Greene is a case in point. It's really not nearly as much about the rotation and minutes and Xs and Os as it is about work ethic. The rest will take care of itself.
\

Something wrong here! Were starting to agree on too many things. :D There's no doubt that the post is very congested at times, making it near impossibe for a post player to get anything done. We don't spread the floor enough, and even when we do, like last night, the other team dares us to shoot from out there.

Right now most teams are setting up their defense to keep Tyreke out of the post. Unfortunately that defense also makes it difficult for Cousins in the post. Teams are daring Tyreke to shoot from the outside, and until he starts hitting those shots, nothing is going to change.

I'd like to mention something else here. Tyreke and Beno both seem to have tunnel vision when running the pick and roll. Both seem to think that the entire point of the pick and roll is to create a shot for just them. On four occasions in the last game, and these were the only one's that I noticed. Three times Cousins came out and set a high pick. Twice for Evans and once for Beno. On all three occasions he rolled to the basket and on two of those occasions he was wide open with no one within 5 feet of him under the basket and on the other occasion if he had been passed to while heading to the basket he could have certainly beat the defense. On all three occasions he wasn't even looked at, much less passed to. On a night where points are hard to come by one would think you'd take advantage of these situations. The other time Greene set a pick for Beno and rolled to the basket. He also would have had an easy basket if Beno had just passed him the ball.

The whole point of the pick and roll is for one of the two players to get an easy shot. Its a two man play. Its called teamwork. Its not just about the PG getting an open shot. I've said it before and I'll say it again. This team sucks at running the pick and roll, which I might add is the bread and butter play of the NBA. If you can't run that play you might as well forget about playing a halfcourt game.

Good point Baja. Id like to see us running some real pick n rolls for once. Im not sure if Tyreke knows how at the moment. Beno is somewhat adept at it as ive seen him run it with JT in the past season. I think hes just deciding to go for the pop up jumper because defenses rarely stick to him in a pick n roll. But id like to see more of this as it gives us more options to work with.

N

nbaFan

sorry I upset so many D Cousins fans. Im not saying he cant be good in terms of putting up numbers either now or eventually. He just doesnt come across a star you build a team around. He has that demeanor thats going to eventually cause problems for coaches with his body language. Weight and so forth. Hes definetly worthy of his #5 pick no question. But i see him like Derrick Coleman. Always had the stats, but wasnt a winner if that makes sense. On paper we all may love him, but the intangibles of doing whats best for the team to succeed, being a leader, not complaining, not worrying about PT, weight all lead me to believe hes more like Benoight Benjamin. Just my opinion. I mean come on, when you look at his mannerisms on the court does he really inspire you to believe he can lead the Kings? I dont. Trade the underachiever. Hes been spoiled all his youth,he has sense of entitlement. Hes got attitude issues. the difference in him is you can see his lifelong coddling hes been given, many players have been , no question. Most just dont wear it on their sleeves like Demarcous. Wasnt he just quoted his only goal is to prove he should have been drafted higher than Favors, how about proving you belong among elite.