Vets seeking to sign with Heat

It looks like they will have a decent bench after all.

"Arison said the team's phones have been ringing off the hook with veterans seeking to sign on, even though it would mean taking the veteran's minimum of roughly $1 million for 2010-11"

"In addition to Heat President Pat Riley and team owner Micky Arison meeting Saturday with Los Angeles Lakers championship point guard Derek Fisher at the Mandarin Oriental hotel in Miami, there also is the possibility of bringing back 3-point shooting forward James Jones, who took a buyout from the team last month"

"The Heat will have approximately $4 million in remaining salary-cap space after it completes an anticipated singing of Washington Wizards free-agent swingman Mike Miller"

"Several other veterans also are seeking to sign on with Riley's revamped creation, including former Florida International University standout Raja Bell and Cavaliers free-agent center Zydrunas Ilgauskas"

"In the end, with minimal salary-cap space left after the Wade, James and Bosh signings, the Heat could have one of its deepest rosters in years, with Heat free-agent Udonis Haslem considering a minimal deal to return"

Sun Sentinel

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
Wow, if they can get Raja Bell, Big Z, Haslem, Miller, and Jones, those aren't scrubs filling out the roster. I wonder if this will start a trend and result in an all-star team of super's in the West, joining forces at lower salaries, to battle the Miami supers.

Ah yes ... when vets who have fought hard all their life and haven't won see an easy way out ... Besides, all they have to do is you know show up for practice and maybe hit a shot once every 20 games or so.

This is what happens when you get "super teams"... it takes competitiveness out of the game. What difference does a salary cap make as compared to soccer where you can just buy players, when now guys like Jamal Crawford, SAR, Raja Bell would all sign for a bag of chips just to win a ring the easy way...

Washington Post reports that there is mutual interest from both the Heat and Iverson in adding AI as a reserve off the bench for the league minimum...

Washington Post reports that there is mutual interest from both the Heat and Iverson in adding AI as a reserve off the bench for the league minimum...
That would be a good idea if they want to poison the locker roomj. AI can't handle playing 2nd filddle let alone 4th or 5th.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I called this thursday night along with juwand howard. Shaq will join them as well ooor he may not like the idea himself and join the lakers one last time.

I called this thursday night along with juwand howard. Shaq will join them as well ooor he may not like the idea himself and join the lakers one last time.
What happened to him being interested in Atlanta? Has that deal fallen through, or are they still trying to work it out?

I was watching NBA tv and I heard Jerry Stackhouse all but begging for one of those 'million dollar' spots. Also tuning into the Heat SL game they are talking about most of them guys having legit shots at making that team it'll be a interesting first season for sure for them I wanna see who ends up there.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
According to the crawl on NBA TV, Haslem just sent a text msg to the Miami Sun-Sentinel that read, "Turned down full mid level from Dallas and Denver. See U next season."

Haslem re-signs and Mike Miller changed his webpage to Heat colors so he is likely to go there as well. They snag James Jones and a couple others and holy crap this team will be insane. They still need a true center though.

So now I hear Big Z's in the mix (more insult to injury for Cleveland)? Still need another guard (J-Will?) and maybe another center (I wouldn't want Bosh, Haslem or Juwanna Howard playing much at center for me) but I have to say things are panning out nicely for them over in South Beach.

Latest Edition - Eddie House.

Lebron-Wade-Bosh, and aroud them Mike Miller, James Jones and Eddie Housejust waiting to get the ball from the double teams for an open 3? DAMN.

Gotta give it Pat the rat when it's due, that roster is awesome.... 2 GM of the year if possible, one for the big trio, the other for that crazy suppoting cast.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Jumping on a top team's bandwagon to get a ring is nothing new, but again its the degree here that is unprecedented. There is such an expectation of endless rings and ceaseless partying to this whole thing that its tilted the entire balance of free agency. If this works for them the way they hope it is going to be so incredibly destructive. There is a very real threat of permanently 2nd classing a huge swath of the NBA that will have no realistic path to ever winning a title. This has got to fail somehow.

Jumping on a top team's bandwagon to get a ring is nothing new, but again its the degree here that is unprecedented. There is such an expectation of endless rings and ceaseless partying to this whole thing that its tilted the entire balance of free agency. If this works for them the way they hope it is going to be so incredibly destructive. There is a very real threat of permanently 2nd classing a huge swath of the NBA that will have no realistic path to ever winning a title. This has got to fail somehow.
we gotta hire donavy to call games again ;)

Exactly. if it keeps up there will be like 4 or 5 teams that even matter. nba is ****ed

1- When in the last decade have more than 4 or 5 teams been true contenders? Half the time this decade there hasn't even been a single contender in the entire eastern conference. NBA has always been top-heavy, contender wise.

2- Prior to this shake-up, there were no teams in the NBA who could legitimately challenge the Lakers. Having the Heat and Lakers battling for a title is better than waiting to see who Lakers beat for title no. 3.

WTF, the Celtics took the Lakers to game 7, were up double digits in the second half, and would have won had Ray Allen and Ron Artest not decided to go freaky friday on us.

That said, remember when the Nets were the powerhouse of the east? If anything, the league has been WAY more competitive the since Shaq and Kobe broke up.

1- When in the last decade have more than 4 or 5 teams been true contenders? Half the time this decade there hasn't even been a single contender in the entire eastern conference. NBA has always been top-heavy, contender wise.

2- Prior to this shake-up, there were no teams in the NBA who could legitimately challenge the Lakers. Having the Heat and Lakers battling for a title is better than waiting to see who Lakers beat for title no. 3.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Nah... just drop the superstar treatment, call games properly (including travels, illegal dribbles, offensive fouls) and the cHeat will never win...
Wow. The Heat haven't even played a game and they're already cheaters that are getting the benefit of the doubt on every call from the officials...:rolleyes:

If they end up in the finals then I will be hoping that any west team will take them down.. Yes, even the Lakers!
I'm with you Gary.

It just takes the fun in terms of competitiveness and limits out of basketball ... And like many have said, the problem is that this will not be a one-off thing if nothing is done, and will instead precede several similar teams being formed in the future. The NBA might as well change it's name to the MiamiLosAngeles-BA, featuring the Heat and the Lakers, and just so it isn't always between those two teams they'll feature the Clippers as well.