• Continued crummy guard play

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Spike being allowed to do a game write-up

Votes: 6 16.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Entity

Hall of Famer
I am not reading your post above this one because i haven't watched it yet. How long before they put the replay up on espn3 I thought it was only like 30 min or so. its been about an hour now and still not up for replay.

I think that is what some people are a bit confused on. DMC isn't picking the plays, Mario Elie calls those. If he's supposed to go out and set the pick high, that is why he is there. Other times the play is to feed him on the block. If you don't like the mix of plays, call out Mario on that.

I think the main issue with Cousins right now is that he isn't conditioned to play this many games in a week. So his energy level is down. Good thing too so now he knows that he needs to work even harder to get into shape for training camp. Otherwise camp is going to kick his butt.
Which is another great reason to have Brockman around. Priceless, in fact. The guy will push everyone else to be in Lance Armstrong shape for the season.

He was popping instead of rolling. Even when he wasn't setting a pick, he sometimes stood at the three point line. That needs to stop ASAP. A guy with his ability down low simply cannot waste their value standing around hoisting jumpers. May sound a tad harsh, but I only say it because I know just how good this guy can be. He's supremely talented.
At times you could here Elie shouting "Roll hard DC, roll hard!" So you know they are working with him on it. This is exactly what summer league is for.

Cousins is too slow around the basket

I said this before and I'm going to say it again. Cousins is too slow around the basket. He's getting worked. SS put a clinic on him. That's going to happen every night in the real NBA if he doesn't shape up and get leaner to improve quickness. He looks helpless on the defense. Guys just run around him like he's a statue. With all this size, the Kings still look physically challenged. They better hit the weight room hard. The only guy out there that I like from physicality standpoint is Chism.

I said this before and I'm going to say it again. Cousins is too slow around the basket. He's getting worked. SS put a clinic on him. That's going to happen every night in the real NBA if he doesn't shape up and get leaner to improve quickness. He looks helpless on the defense. Guys just run around him like he's a statue. With all this size, the Kings still look physically challenged. They better hit the weight room hard. The only guy out there that I like from physicality standpoint is Chism.
In defense of Demarcus, this is in the setting of playing 5 games in 6 nights...they played 3 games in a row, then had a day off, then 3 more games back to back. This is the second game of the second triple header. And Demarcus played major minutes in all the games. The worse during a regular season are back to back games. Here the Kings are playing back-to-back-to-back games, then starting ANOTHER triple header after 1 day of rest. You're not going to see that during the regular season. I hope DMC's competitive fire kicks in and he remembers getting his butt kicked by Samuels. It'll be good motivation for him to get in better condition and the coaches should keep reminding how he got worked by Samuels.

I agree that Cousins is suffering from tired legs. They affect the shot and defense very quickly. This is all good because it will humble him and motivate him like you said. Furthermore, my idea for leaning him down is to play him alot of minutes and is the topic of a thread I put up earlier. I like what they're doing to him working him hard. He's got the length and soft hands of Chris webber. Now we just need to get him chiselled and add some explosiveness. He's still 19 years old.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I agree that Cousins is suffering from tired legs. They affect the shot and defense very quickly. This is all good because it will humble him and motivate him like you said. Furthermore, my idea for leaning him down is to play him alot of minutes and is the topic of a thread I put up earlier. I like what they're doing to him working him hard. He's got the length and soft hands of Chris webber. Now we just need to get him chiselled and add some explosiveness. He's still 19 years old.
You should probably stop trying to compare Webb and DMC. They're completely different players. Remember that Webb was a guard who rocketed into a PF's body thanks to a growth spurt, not to mention an athletic freak. DMC has always been big, more in the Shaq build than the Webb build. In my opinion, it's kind of like comparing beer and vodka, they both do similar things (kinda) but they are nowhere near the same.

If you go back to watch Cousins in High School, he has more explosiveness and guard skills dribbling in traffic, crossing guys over and running the break. His main problem is conditioning. He's just added way too much fat in college and before the draft. 16% is ridiculous. I would say that if we can work him down to 260 lbs of lean muscle, he can be very explosive. I'm looking forward to see how he progresses with his conditioning before the season starts.

Whiteside has a good looking jumper. He just needs some confidence. If he just catch, rise and shoot, he can be a good scorer. He tries to fake or dribble too much. Who in the world is going to block him if he just rises and shoot.

You should probably stop trying to compare Webb and DMC. They're completely different players. Remember that Webb was a guard who rocketed into a PF's body thanks to a growth spurt, not to mention an athletic freak. DMC has always been big, more in the Shaq build than the Webb build. In my opinion, it's kind of like comparing beer and vodka, they both do similar things (kinda) but they are nowhere near the same.
You probably don't have to stop the guy from comparing Cousins and Webber because they do have some similarities. We all know Webber is Webber and Cousins is Cousins and therefore they are different players. But still they have similarities that you just can't help but compare one from another.

The kid had shown he's got high IQ and definitely has the passing skills to become one of the best passing bigs in the NBA. Maybe he is still far from being another Webber because he is overweight and therefore a lot slower. If Cousins can trim down his fats some more and be quicker, he could very well be another version of Chris Webber.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
You probably don't have to stop the guy from comparing Cousins and Webber because they do have some similarities. We all know Webber is Webber and Cousins is Cousins and therefore they are different players. But still they have similarities that you just can't help but compare one from another.

The kid had shown he's got high IQ and definitely has the passing skills to become one of the best passing bigs in the NBA. Maybe he is still far from being another Webber because he is overweight and therefore a lot slower. If Cousins can trim down his fats some more and be quicker, he could very well be another version of Chris Webber.
Of course, we won't really know for sure until the regular season. I must admit the similarities but at the same time, you never know what new tidbits may unearth themselves during the real season.

Of course, we won't really know for sure until the regular season. I must admit the similarities but at the same time, you never know what new tidbits may unearth themselves during the real season.
Common, let's let it hang loose. You won't be graded for this.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Common, let's let it hang loose. You won't be graded for this.
How am I being uptight about it? I'm merely saying that we should wait and see. I'm as stoked about DMC as the next guy but now that I'm coming off of the Boogie hangover, I'm taking a wait and see approach as for the past two games, Cousins has looked like Webb post knee explosion

Someone up there said he had the shaq style build.

he does.

and when did we ever see shack roll out and look for a mid range jumper? Never!

I'd much rather Demarcus focuses on what he's best at banging down low and making plays.

the amount of times he looked for a jumper last night was ridiculous IMO

I'm glad he's much better free throw shooter than Shaq, I think he missed only once in SL. Wonder what's his college free throw percentage.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think that is what some people are a bit confused on. DMC isn't picking the plays, Mario Elie calls those. If he's supposed to go out and set the pick high, that is why he is there. Other times the play is to feed him on the block. If you don't like the mix of plays, call out Mario on that.

I think the main issue with Cousins right now is that he isn't conditioned to play this many games in a week. So his energy level is down. Good thing too so now he knows that he needs to work even harder to get into shape for training camp. Otherwise camp is going to kick his butt.
I think the entire Kings organization deserves a big fat F for their performance in summer league. Ellie, his assistants, Westphal, and Petrie. They all should take responsibility for Cousins and his wussy settling for outside shots, and many fade-aways no less. That's beyond ridiculous. Way to go guys, you're really starting the young guy out on the wrong foot....

Someone up there said he had the shaq style build.

he does.

and when did we ever see shack roll out and look for a mid range jumper? Never!

I'd much rather Demarcus focuses on what he's best at banging down low and making plays.

the amount of times he looked for a jumper last night was ridiculous IMO
Shaq had 5% body fat, Cousins is not there.

I think the entire Kings organization deserves a big fat F for their performance in summer league. Ellie, his assistants, Westphal, and Petrie. They all should take responsibility for Cousins and his wussy settling for outside shots, and many fade-aways no less. That's beyond ridiculous. Way to go guys, you're really starting the young guy out on the wrong foot....
Wow dude, you deserve a big fat F for premature remarks. If you hadn't noticed, the Kings are 4-1 playing 5 games in 6 nights. You act like things are supposed to happen overnight. That wussy outside shot you speak of got us a game winner in one night, and that horrid coaching staff led our tired team back from a double digit deficit to win the game.

I love how people on this board are quick to make remarks after just 1 game or after our team has gone through unnormal circumstances. You'll never see our guys play this many games at a time so you probably wont see DMC play as poorly as he did many times either. Tyreke didn't start off the season like a ROY, but he eventually got the award. So calm the **** down.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Wow dude, you deserve a big fat F for premature remarks. If you hadn't noticed, the Kings are 4-1 playing 5 games in 6 nights. You act like things are supposed to happen overnight. That wussy outside shot you speak of got us a game winner in one night, and that horrid coaching staff led our tired team back from a double digit deficit to win the game.

I love how people on this board are quick to make remarks after just 1 game or after our team has gone through unnormal circumstances. You'll never see our guys play this many games at a time so you probably wont see DMC play as poorly as he did many times either. Tyreke didn't start off the season like a ROY, but he eventually got the award. So calm the **** down.
And I'll give you a big fat F for being an apologist of coaching stupidity. Who cares about the summer league record? Is that important to you? I don't care if we don't win a game in summer league. But yes, I am asking that *one* thing should happen immediately. It has absolutely nothing to do with Cousins playing poorly. I don't care if Cousins made 20% of his shots. I could care less. It has nothing to do with playing a ton of games and him being out of shape. Nothing. I don't care if looks like a 20 year old horse on his last legs and he can barely get up and down the court. I only care about one teency weency little thing - no freaking outside jump shots, much less freaking fade-away jump shots. (Heck, even from Hawes we saw less fadeways in a year than from Cousins in summer league). Day One. Not over weeks. Not over months. Not over heaven forbid, years. Day 1. That intellectual feat shouldn't be too difficult to comprehend for this coaching staff. This is not an insight that requires the brilliance of John Wooden to perceive.

And I'll give you a big fat F for being an apologist of coaching stupidity. Who cares about the summer league record? Is that important to you? I don't care if we don't win a game in summer league. But yes, I am asking that *one* thing should happen immediately. It has absolutely nothing to do with Cousins playing poorly. I don't care if Cousins made 20% of his shots. I could care less. It has nothing to do with playing a ton of games and him being out of shape. Nothing. I don't care if looks like a 20 year old horse on his last legs and he can barely get up and down the court. I only care about one teency weency little thing - no freaking outside jump shots, much less freaking fade-away jump shots. (Heck, even from Hawes we saw less fadeways in a year than from Cousins in summer league). Day One. Not over weeks. Not over months. Not over heaven forbid, years. Day 1. That intellectual feat shouldn't be too difficult to comprehend for this coaching staff. This is not an insight that requires the brilliance of John Wooden to perceive.

haha you can thank 3 years of Spencer Hawes for that response. :)