Al Jefferson to the Jazz

I like this deal alot for the Jazz it pretty much saves them and keeps them in the top 8 of the West. He will give them pretty much Boozers numbers as well, but will most likely get lit up on defense.

Given that they dumped Jefferson, it makes their decision to pass on Cousins all the more questionable and lucky for us.

If he was going to do this why did he pass on Cousins? Certainly not complaining but that really makes no sense to me.
I guess he really liked David Lee. Cant have Cousins, Jefferson, Lee, and Love as your bigs. Take Jefferson out and Lee, Love and Cousins wouldnt work either.

The funny thing is, Lee and Love is just as bad. Two guys who do the same thing and cant defend anyone.

I don't like this for the Jazz. You already have a pretty decent PF in Millsap, why give up your trade exception to get another PF? I think Millsap is a great PF, although undersized. In any case, the Jazz have essentially traded Boozer and 2 first round picks for Jefferson. I think Jefferson's better than Boozer (best low post game in the league I think), but not that much better

I guess he really liked David Lee. Cant have Cousins, Jefferson, Lee, and Love as your bigs. Take Jefferson out and Lee, Love and Cousins wouldnt work either.

The funny thing is, Lee and Love is just as bad. Two guys who do the same thing and cant defend anyone.
Lee got traded to Golden State for Randolph, Azubuike, and Turiaf

I don't like this for the Jazz. You already have a pretty decent PF in Millsap, why give up your trade exception to get another PF? I think Millsap is a great PF, although undersized. In any case, the Jazz have essentially traded Boozer and 2 first round picks for Jefferson. I think Jefferson's better than Boozer (best low post game in the league I think), but not that much better
Isn't Boozer getting paid more? Maybe think of it as trading two (likely late) firsts for the chance to get similar production for less $$. And while Jefferson isn't a perfect fit (more of a PF than C as we have seen) I understand Utah's motivations. Want to keep their spot among the West's top teams and make sure Deron is happy. Memo Okur is out for a while, too, to start the season, and with Jefferson on board you can stay competitive while you're down a big man. Finally, they're banking on AK47's shotblocking to help make up for Jefferson's defensive deficiencies. We'll see how that works.

Isn't Boozer getting paid more? Maybe think of it as trading two (likely late) firsts for the chance to get similar production for less $$. And while Jefferson isn't a perfect fit (more of a PF than C as we have seen) I understand Utah's motivations. Want to keep their spot among the West's top teams and make sure Deron is happy. Memo Okur is out for a while, too, to start the season, and with Jefferson on board you can stay competitive while you're down a big man. Finally, they're banking on AK47's shotblocking to help make up for Jefferson's defensive deficiencies. We'll see how that works.
Actually yeah, I hadn't thought of that initially. That's probably the biggest concern to the Jazz right now, seeing as 2 other star players just jumped ship to Miami. I'm liking this trade more by the second it seems. Again, not to discredit Jefferson, I love his game.

Read an article last night stating that the Wolves felt they could do this trade because they also just brought in Michael Beasley. :eek:

I'll try and find it..

The Jazz are now screwed for rebuilding once Deron bolts.
How's that? Deron has a player option in two years. At which point, they'd have significant cap space from Okur's contract coming off the books -- and Williams, if he opts out -- as well as over $20 million in expirings in Millsap and Jefferson.

And in any case, why should they be planning for that? They were a top 5 team in the West, and while they lost their second-best player, they went out found a similar, but younger and cheaper, replacement I can undertand they are focusing on the present. Win consistently, and Deron doesn't bolt.

Just because LeBron left Cleveland for Miami doesn't mean every small market team should start assuming their stars are going to leave.

This is a great trade for Utah. Jefferson is as good as Boozer but for less money. And all that they gave up was 2 first round draft picks?! Those draft picks are going to be mid-late first round picks. So two mid-late first round picks for Jefferson... what the hell is Minnesota doing!

Those draft picks are going to be mid-late first round picks. So two mid-late first round picks for Jefferson... what the hell is Minnesota doing!
Jefferson isn't perfect, but what team has a 25 year old 20/10 guy in hand and dumps him to roll the dice on a couple middling draft picks? This should be a rhetorical question, except there's actually an answer: KAAAAAHN!

The Wolves may spend years chasing after having that type of player again. The logic I saw in one post was that they gave away Jefferson for a TPE, so another team may give them a star back for that TPE. The major flaw in this strategy is that Kahn is the only GM in the league that can't make a trade with Kahn, which is kind of unfair. :p

Jefferson isn't perfect, but what team has a 25 year old 20/10 guy in hand and dumps him to roll the dice on a couple middling draft picks? This should be a rhetorical question, except there's actually an answer: KAAAAAHN!

The Wolves may spend years chasing after having that type of player again. The logic I saw in one post was that they gave away Jefferson for a TPE, so another team may give them a star back for that TPE. The major flaw in this strategy is that Kahn is the only GM in the league that can't make a trade with Kahn, which is kind of unfair. :p
yeah it's pretty sad. but can't complain too much about Kahn since we benefited from him too. We got Cousins because of him.

This is a great trade for Utah. Jefferson is as good as Boozer but for less money. And all that they gave up was 2 first round draft picks?! Those draft picks are going to be mid-late first round picks. So two mid-late first round picks for Jefferson... what the hell is Minnesota doing!
likewise i dont mind this for utah at all, play al at the 5 and millsap at the 4. Dont underestimate the ability of Sloan to make this work.

Other teams should call up Kahn. I'm sure other teams can put together a better package than two mid-late first round picks! This is like the Gasol trade, where it's so lopsided that you keep wondering if any other team will swoop in and offer something better.

Other teams should call up Kahn. I'm sure other teams can put together a better package than two mid-late first round picks! This is like the Gasol trade, where it's so lopsided that you keep wondering if any other team will swoop in and offer something better.
Well, on a side note Kahn has managed to put together a team where the highest paid player is Michael Beasley....earning a whopping $5 million

I think to answer the question earlier of why get Jefferson when you have Milsap to take Boozers place.

Milsap while being good is only 6'9ish and I think he's still better suited to come off the bench, or since he has nice range on his jumper and is more a energy guy than anything you could start him next to Al Jeff.

At the end of the day this a big positive for the Jazz as a fan of DWill I hope these guys can stay healthy.

Poor Twolves fans. I mean, I'm not the biggest Jefferson fan, but really, Jefferson for cap space and picks? That's just bad GMing. I think all of Kahn's public ramblings about wanting to trade Jefferson seriously talked down his value. A NBA GM isn't exactly a cloak and dagger kind of position, but is something akin to playing poker.

Kinda sad really. All the players they got for Garnett are now off the roster, other than draft picks. So basically Garnett + pick (Babbitt) for Martell Webster + picks