Steve Blake to the Lakers

K

Kingsguy881

I think people grossly overestimate Steve Blake. Decent backup but nothing special.

The 7akers are a perfect example of why this league needs a hard cap on team salaries. A team shoulnt be allowed to spend double the cap limit. Make it an even playing field money wise and see what teams are perennial contenders. I bet LA wouldnt be in the conversation.

The 7akers are a perfect example of why this league needs a hard cap on team salaries. A team shoulnt be allowed to spend double the cap limit. Make it an even playing field money wise and see what teams are perennial contenders. I bet LA wouldnt be in the conversation.
Of course they would be. They are one of the most popular places to live for players, have a great tradition as an organization and a good infrastructure. Places like la, ny, Miami would be fine.

Amir Johnson getting 34 mill is an example of why there's a problem. LA just made an MLE signing for like 16 mill over 4 yrs. That's not irresponsible. Just imagine if Buss was a billionaire.

He and Kupchak (and West) have made stoopid decisions in the past like everyone else. They gave Kwame a ridiculous contract even though they were desperately hard up for a 4 or 5 at the time. Beyond that, Mitch has just now learned not to give out MLE contracts that don't induce vomiting. Buss also doesn't max out non superstar smalls. He forced his GMs to find replacements for Eddie Jones and Ariza instead of caving to their demands for too much money. He's generally more responsible than many owners and the FO tries to minimize their stupid decisions ASAP if the opportunity arises. The worst blemishes on his resume this decade have been MLE snafus (things like Vlade Divac). And I think he will also pull the ripcord on Odom if at all possible.

Buss also penny pinched with Jackson in 2004. Phil said that he lowballed him w/ a number that he was sure to offend. Course, Dr. J later recognized that mistake while watching Rudy T.

Last edited:
I think people grossly overestimate Steve Blake. Decent backup but nothing special.
He'd be a pretty good starter for the Lakers considering what they've had at PG in recent years. He can bring them 3 pt shooting, decision making, someone who can lead the break, and can make an entry pass. Fisher can only do one of those things, and he's been declining in that area.

He's a niche player who provides three point shooting and pure passing ability, which fits the Lakers like a glove. His defense is quite capable as well. Would've been good as a backup for our team as well.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Yeah seriously.
Lakers just signed a career back up. Big deal.
That's all they really need though. They understand their system better than any team in the NBA. He's got all the same Fisher characteristics, can bring the ball up, deliver it to Kobe, get out of the way, spot shoot, and go get burned on defense the other way. All they need there is stability, and they went out and got it again.

Wonder if this might free Fisher up for a one year type mentor deal here. Or is the Lakers will still try to get him back with Farmar leaving, and finally have two saavy run the offense PGs.

One way to stop large markets from continually retooling the roster via the mid level exception is to limit it to teams who are under the luxury tax. That way, a team that is 20 million over the tax wouldn't be able to sign someone like Blake.

More often than not, the luxury tax limit is around $12 million above the cap so you have that big a window to sign MLE players.

That's all they really need though. They understand their system better than any team in the NBA. He's got all the same Fisher characteristics, can bring the ball up, deliver it to Kobe, get out of the way, spot shoot, and go get burned on defense the other way. All they need there is stability, and they went out and got it again.

Wonder if this might free Fisher up for a one year type mentor deal here. Or is the Lakers will still try to get him back with Farmar leaving, and finally have two saavy run the offense PGs.
Fisher doesn't run crap, and Blake is a much better player than him.

People who are saying he isn't a big upgrade are so wrong. I would say he is better then Fisher. They will now probably get Mike Miller now. So you have...

PG: Steve Blake/Farmar
SG: Kobe Bryant.Mike Miller
SF: Ron Artest/ Shannon Brown
PF: Bynum
C: Pau

Its something like that. Dont get mad if I made a little mistake. Its the Lakers who cares. Anyways the names on this roster are deadly.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
People who are saying he isn't a big upgrade are so wrong. I would say he is better then Fisher. They will now probably get Mike Miller now.
Don't see how. They've used up most of their MLE on Blake. They'd have to do a sign-and-trade with Washington to get Miller, which would mean they'd have to give up Odom, Artest, Vujacic, or Walton. Not even the wizards are dumb enough to do the last two - they'd rather let Miller walk. The Wiz might not even go for the first two given contracts, age, and craziness issues on Artest - much less do I think the Lakers would send those guys away to get Miller.

Don't see how. They've used up most of their MLE on Blake. They'd have to do a sign-and-trade with Washington to get Miller, which would mean they'd have to give up Odom, Artest, Vujacic, or Walton. Not even the wizards are dumb enough to do the last two - they'd rather let Miller walk. The Wiz might not even go for the first two given contracts, age, and craziness issues on Artest - much less do I think the Lakers would send those guys away to get Miller.
Kind of the way the Grizzlies weren't dumb enough to trade Pau for Kwame?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Kind of the way the Grizzlies weren't dumb enough to trade Pau for Kwame?
To be fair, they got the rights to Marc, and he's been quite good. He may very well have been the centerpiece of the deal.

But yeah, I stand by my prediction. The Wizards will not sign-and-trade Mike Miller to the Lakers for Vujacic or Walton.