Hoopsworld says Monroe to the Kings

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
It was DX's twitter. I'm not saying it's fact, I'm just saying all these horrible reports we're hearing is getting a little tiresome, true or not.
Keep in mind that last year, when the fanbase was mostly in the tank for Rubio, there were tons of small hints, one after the other, that we weren't going to pick Rubio. These included things like Evans coming back for a second workout and Petrie saying he was only going to take a player that was going to help us immediately.

This year, with the fanbase mostly in the tank for Cousins, there are once again tons of small hints that we aren't going with Cousins, including a Monroe second workout and a bunch of small reports suggesting our interest in Monroe rather than Cousins.

History appears to be repeating itself. Buckle up, prepare yourself accordingly, and trust that this year's results will be as good as last year's, despite how you may have felt about the draft at the time.

(And an additional note: with Detroit's apparent deep interest in Cousins, if he falls to us and we pick him, don't pop the champagne too soon, especially if Detroit takes Monroe. There's a pretty good chance we'll swap the picks...and since there's not much "candy" on Detroit's roster to sweeten the deal, it would not be inconceivable that we ask Detroit to "buy" an available first-rounder for us. Miami's #18 is one that has been rumored to be potentially for sale. If such an event goes down, an official announcement wouldn't happen until after the "bought" pick, though unofficial reports might come through beforehand. If we take Cousins, it might be a long night before we're confident we're keeping him.)

Keep in mind that last year, when the fanbase was mostly in the tank for Rubio, there were tons of small hints, one after the other, that we weren't going to pick Rubio. These included things like Evans coming back for a second workout and Petrie saying he was only going to take a player that was going to help us immediately.

This year, with the fanbase mostly in the tank for Cousins, there are once again tons of small hints that we aren't going with Cousins, including a Monroe second workout and a bunch of small reports suggesting our interest in Monroe rather than Cousins.

History appears to be repeating itself. Buckle up, prepare yourself accordingly, and trust that this year's results will be as good as last year's, despite how you may have felt about the draft at the time.

(And an additional note: with Detroit's apparent deep interest in Cousins, if he falls to us and we pick him, don't pop the champagne too soon, especially if Detroit takes Monroe. There's a pretty good chance we'll swap the picks...and since there's not much "candy" on Detroit's roster to sweeten the deal, it would not be inconceivable that we ask Detroit to "buy" an available first-rounder for us. Miami's #18 is one that has been rumored to be potentially for sale. If such an event goes down, an official announcement wouldn't happen until after the "bought" pick, though unofficial reports might come through beforehand. If we take Cousins, it might be a long night before we're confident we're keeping him.)
Solid post here. I remember all the claims that interest in Evans was just a "smokescreen" for really taking Rubio last year as well. It turned out we weren't really that tricky and the signs were clear leading up to our pick.

I'm just hoping that the day they had Cousins and Monroe in it became clear that Cousins was light years ahead of Monroe in talent and that we'd take Cousins if he was there with no debate. Then the effort changed to our contingency plan if Cousins is not there at #5 and that required getting a closer look at Monroe. That's what I'm telling myself today anyway...:D

"Draft express needs to get there facts straight ....ME nor ANYBODY close to me made those comments .." - straight from Cousins twitter...

i think this is huge for the kings....

id post a link but he protects his tweets. so it wouldnt help any to those who dont follow him.

Agreed. I'm leaving the rioting to Lakers fans this year.

Also, +999999 to Vlade4GM on wishing we'd just kept the #3 and gotten Favors.

I realize that almost everyone wanted Rubio last year and we ended up going with someone else. In this case, i dont think history must repeat itself. I would put my own money on it that if Cousins is available when the Kings pick then hes sacramento bound.

Now draftexpress is saying:

Cousins' camp is denying my report. Says that "he's a fan of Philly, NJ, Sac and Detroit. That's the fact. Nothing more. nothing less."

He doesn't want to go to Golden state!

Golden State taking a hard stance, "We told Cousins that there's no way he's slipping past six. We'll take him if he's there." I asked "what about Golden State?" Response was they're "not going there." I guess we now know for sure that the Warriors are not welcome.

http://twitter.com/DraftExpress

Last edited:
Today's Espn Insider mock draft said Monroe got worked over by St Mary's Samhan over the weekend!

6. Warriors: Greg Monroe
Note: Interestingly, after the positive workout, Monroe had a shaky one in Golden State on Sunday. You don't want to be outplayed by Omar Samhan when you're trying to talk a team into drafting you at No. 6. This may change.

DX's twitter:

I asked "what about Golden State?" Response was they're "not going there." I guess we now know for sure that the Warriors are not welcome.

Golden State taking a hard stance, "We told Cousins that there's no way he's slipping past six. We'll take him if he's there."
NBA source says both Detroit & Houston are making a major push to trade w/Minnesota to get Cousins with the 4th pick. "His stock is rising."

Okay, we have to tell teams that if Minnesota takes Cousins, we're taking Johnson. Minny doesn't trade down Cousins if they can't get Johnson.

For the love of all that is sacred, WORKOUT JOHNSON! Atleast call David Kahn or text him and say that if Cousins is gone then we're taking Johnson.

i think the only way minny considers trading down its going to be us or GS. because if cousins is gone and we take monroe , there is no chance johnson slips past GS. minny would be psychotic to not come away with either cousins or johnson in this draft.

Good post. I'd mildly disagree with the first point and say the subtle signs point to it being a photo finish for Monroe and Cousins more than anything. The big difference being that Cousins came here and knocked a workout out of the park.

The second part is a real possibility as well. Though there's perhaps more candy than you're giving them credit for. They could take Cisco's contract, we could like Austin Daye, Jerebko and/or Maxiell as well.

Last edited:
I think all of this garbage stems from the fact that the Kings were widely regarded as a soft team for the better part of the most recent decade. 5 years ago the Kings may well have taken Monroe. Today the kings will certainly pick Cousins if hes still available.
I follow NBA a lot in addition to Kings, and this is definitely a stickler. To everyone outside of Kingsland, we still run the Princeton. It's what we are "known" for. But besides a few backdoor cuts from Hawes/Miller to Beno/Kmart, we haven't been anywhere close to Princeton for a long time.

Perceptions are hard to change, especially with us being small market and out of the national eye. Last time we were relevant was w/the Princeton, and it will continue until we are relevant again.

You can't compare last years situation with rubio and what the fans wanted and who Petrie picked and who got worked out, etc. Because regardless if Petrie was on high on rubio or not (I believe he wasn't that high on him) rubio had a buy out in his contract. We don't have anything like that to worry about this year. I think if cousins is there that Petrie will pick him no doubt.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Good post. I'd mildly disagree with the first point and say the subtle signs point to it being a photo finish for Monroe and Cousins more than anything. The big difference being that Cousins came here and knocked a workout out of the park.
I'll grant the photo finish this year. Last year there really wasn't much evidence in Rubio's favor at all. This year both Monroe and Cousins have evidence in their favor.

The second part is a real possibility as well. Though there's perhaps more candy than you're giving them credit for. They could take Cisco's contract, we could like Austin Daye, Jerebko and/or Maxiell as well.
It's not that there aren't possibilities there, but some aren't very enticing (Maxiell, Daye) and Jerebko may be untouchable after how well he played for them last year. I'm also not sure we're really shopping Cisco as piece to unload. That's why I was looking for a third party to get us something (like a draft pick) that I think we would definitely consider an asset. Obviously you never know.

I think the problem the bulk of the fans have with Monroe is that his performance in college just wasn't up to par for an NBA quality big man. 9.6 boards and 1.5 blocks in 34 minutes per game is less than what Cousins did in 1/3 of the time. Run far away from a "big man" who in college averages 1.5 blocks per game in 35 minutes. Those numbers extrapolate out awfully to the NBA. If a big man doesn't have the athleticism to dominate in college, why would he have the athleticism to make an impact in the NBA?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
If it's true that Cousins doesn't want to come here, then we have to worry about him staying in Sac. This is getting so ridiculous.
Lets see, one rumor says he wants to be in Detroit and the other rumor says he's good to go for several teams including the Kings. Why do people always choose the bad rumor when they have a choice.

Frankly, I don't really care what his preference is. If we draft him he'll play here. If the team becomes good and we win, he'll want to stay here. But right now that would be 4 years away. So I'm not going to worry about it now. Webb didn't want to come here either.