Kings NBA Draft Workouts

Not sure if this belongs here but according to the 76ers website, they will be taking Turner, this means the top 2 are set.

NBAFanHouse
: 76ers will draft Turner, says 76ers website: http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/06/18/sixers-will-draft-evan-turner-according-to-sixers-website/

Draft Order

1. Wall
2. Turner
3. ????
4. ????
5. ????

IMO, it's looking better and better with each passing day. As long as no one jumps us by trading up we should land one of Cousins, Favors, or Johnson. Hopefully one of the bigs and the Wolves do draft Johnson.

Can't wait for the draft. Gotta admit I'm getting pretty excited over what may transpire within a week.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well, I think the workout on Monday is going to decide that. But it's not as far-fetched as it might first appear. Cousins is big enough to play center but he also has range on his outside shot and decent perimeter skills so it's not hard to see him getting minutes at PF either. Aren't we talking about potentially pairing him with Dalembert in the front court next year? Why couldn't New Jersey do the same thing with him and Lopez? So far Cousins and Favors have worked out together here and in Philly and it sounds like Cousins was more impressive in both workouts. If he dominates Favors in New Jersey as well, no amount of wishful thinking is going to prevent New Jersey from picking the better player.
Some here might be pairing him with Dalembert, but I'm not. They're both centers and I don't see them starting together. I guess its possible, but make no mistake, Cousins strength is his low post game. While its true he's also effective away from the basket, he's a difference maker under the basket. On the other hand, Dalembert is effective only under the basket.

We would have to see how it all shakes out in training camp, but I can see Dalembert starting at the center position and Cousins coming off the bench. At least at the beginning. At some point during the season that could be reversed. Its also possible that Cousins plays so well that he wins the starting job. I don't want to count our chickens before their hatched. I just hope its a problem we have. I'd sure like to see Cousins suiting up for the Kings in summer league.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
We just traded with the 76ers, which makes me wonder if we didn't have a mutual agreement added to the trade. Such as we'll include Hawes in the deal as long as you don't take Cousins at 2. Not that they wern't going to take Turner anyway. But one way to leverage a deal is to offer a little something special in the trade. Such as throw in Hawes and we promise not to draft Cousins.. Probably not, but its worth a thought.
Seems REALLY unlikely. I'm not sure any GM would want to put in a "gentleman's agreement" into a trade like that.

As it stands, Hawes (or the equivalent) was required to make the deal work under the cap anyway. I suppose one could argue that if we waited until after July 1 to make the trade final, we could absorb the salary without giving up Hawes, but I would be inclined to guess that Hawes was a necessary piece for the Sixers - no Hawes, no deal.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Seems REALLY unlikely. I'm not sure any GM would want to put in a "gentleman's agreement" into a trade like that.

As it stands, Hawes (or the equivalent) was required to make the deal work under the cap anyway. I suppose one could argue that if we waited until after July 1 to make the trade final, we could absorb the salary without giving up Hawes, but I would be inclined to guess that Hawes was a necessary piece for the Sixers - no Hawes, no deal.
Yeah, I did say probably not. One can always hope for a little ray of hope though. :)

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Well the question is, rising to where? I don't see the Nets taking him at 3 when they already have Lopez, and there biggest need is a PF. They have Jianlian and Humphries, and I think Humphries is a freeagent. Jianlian has been a bust so far and in my opinion he's not really a PF anyway but a tall SF. I guess its possible that they could go for a twin towers thing, but Cousins is mostly a post player and Lopez is a post player. It could get crowded in there. Favors is the perfect fit for them.

I doubt Washington will draft anyone but Wall and Minny seems intent on Johnson. We just traded with the 76ers, which makes me wonder if we didn't have a mutual agreement added to the trade. Such as we'll include Hawes in the deal as long as you don't take Cousins at 2. Not that they wern't going to take Turner anyway. But one way to leverage a deal is to offer a little something special in the trade. Such as throw in Hawes and we promise not to draft Cousins.. Probably not, but its worth a thought.
The deal that I would have liked to see is switch #1 picks with Philly with the rest of the Hawes trade being the same. Then you're talking...

This was what I was worried about. The possibility of Sixers taking Cousins at #2 or trading down with Nets/Wolves to take Cousins and give either of them Turner. That will mean Johnson is left to us and GP will most likely pass and take Monroe. I don't like Monroe at center long term.
I agree. You make sense my friend.

Losing Dalembert and replacing him with a softie center Hawes makes me think the 76ers now need another sure-fire and physical center. I am sure they know what Hawes is made up of - good only as a back-up center. They might be needing someone like Cousins now.

Also, why would Philadelphia draft Turner if they still have the very good shooting guard Iguodala and point guard Holiday? Maybe to trade him for someone else after all?

Well, I think the workout on Monday is going to decide that. But it's not as far-fetched as it might first appear. Cousins is big enough to play center but he also has range on his outside shot and decent perimeter skills so it's not hard to see him getting minutes at PF either. Aren't we talking about potentially pairing him with Dalembert in the front court next year? Why couldn't New Jersey do the same thing with him and Lopez? So far Cousins and Favors have worked out together here and in Philly and it sounds like Cousins was more impressive in both workouts. If he dominates Favors in New Jersey as well, no amount of wishful thinking is going to prevent New Jersey from picking the better player.
Very true.

Very much like how the Lakers used Gasol as their PF and C, New Jersey can do the same with Lopez and a developing Cousins. The only difference will be Gasol had played PF early on his career. But Cousins at 19 years of age? I think it is still possible to still develop him at PF.

Losing Dalembert and replacing him with a softie center Hawes makes me think the 76ers now need another sure-fire and physical center. I am sure they know what Hawes is made up of - good only as a back-up center. They might be needing someone like Cousins now.

Also, why would Philadelphia draft Turner if they still have the very good shooting guard Iguodala and point guard Holiday? Maybe to trade him for someone else after all?
Theyd pick Turner because Igoudala is interchangeable between shooting guard and small forward. They also pick Turner because most people think Turner is a sure fire franchise player, much like Wall. After all the bad press Cousins has gotten theres no chance of him leap frogging Evan Turner. Also, trading Dalembert made more room for the up and coming Marreese Speights.

Last edited:
Not sure if this belongs here but according to the 76ers website, they will be taking Turner, this means the top 2 are set.

NBAFanHouse : 76ers will draft Turner, says 76ers website: http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/06/18/sixers-will-draft-evan-turner-according-to-sixers-website/

Draft Order

1. Wall
2. Turner
3. ????
4. ????
5. ????

IMO, it's looking better and better with each passing day. As long as no one jumps us by trading up we should land one of Cousins, Favors, or Johnson. Hopefully one of the bigs and the Wolves do draft Johnson.

Can't wait for the draft. Gotta admit I'm getting pretty excited over what may transpire within a week.

The only news that will excite me to the max is the news saying Johnson and Monroe or anyone not named Cousins and Favors assured to be in the top 4.

That is all that matters now for. That is the ultimate news that will mean Cousins ( or Favors ) will be available for the Kings.

well neither iggy or jrue are legit scoring playmaking options they could really use turner to give them a main scoring option and also they could use a star. they even created an Evan turner website I'm pretty sure they will be taking turner.

Theyd pick Turner because Igoudala is interchangeable between shooting guard and small forward. They also pick Turner because most people think Turner is a sure fire franchise player, much like Wall. After all the bad press Cousins has gotten theres no chance of him leap frogging Evan Turner. Also, trading Dalembert made more room for the up and coming Marreese Speights.
Thank you so much for the explanation. I guess Philadelphia is not too worried with a dwarf frontline starters of Speights ( 6' 10" ), Brand ( 6' 9" ), and smallish SF in Iguodala ( 6' 6" ).:eek:

Collins wants Hawes to open up the paint for Brand. Hawes will be in the high post passing to cutters or Brand in the paint.

I'm thinking the 76er's pick Turner and trade one of their wings for a Big. Igoudala could be involved in a trade or a sign and trade for one of the Free Agent Bigs.

The Nets will be nuts to pass on Favors.

That leaves the T-Pups in the drivers seat. What Kahn does decides who the Kings get to pick:eek:

Here is to hoping Cousins is still on the board at #5.

KB

bajaden

Hall of Famer

I'm not saying that the 76ers drafting Cousins isn't a possibility, but from everything I read its seems unlikely. Collins knows he's stuck with Brand, who can still contribute in the right system. And thats a halfcourt system where the ball moves and can get to him in the post. Hawes is the perfect fit. He's a guy that can play at the high post and pass the ball. Turner is also a perfect fit as a guy that can handle, pass and also get into the lane and distribute or finish.

Brand was lost last year where they tried to play transition basketball. As for Iggy, he can also play SF. There's also rumors that he's on the block. Doesn't mean they're out there looking for a trade, but they made it known that their willing to look at all offers.

Interesting that Dominique Johnson, who is expected to go undrafted, got brought back a second time. I guess we can probably expect to see him in the Summer League.

I'm surprised that none of the crack Sacbee reporters have asked Petrie why they haven't worked out Johnson. If he is the BPA at #5, then you have to take him! There have been reports that his workouts have been impressive.

"Johnson has been rather impressive in his workouts, both on the court and off the court. The Nets and Sixers both came away impressed. There's no chance Johnson gets past Minnesota at No. 4."