With Dalembert is a Cousins pairing on the way???

Now that we made a move for a legitimate shot blocker who do we take with the 5 pick? With the possibility of either cousins, monroe or Johnson being available who would be the best fit?

In my opinion I feel like that at times when we need to go big a Cousins/Dalembert lineup would be pretty tough. As much as I hate to say this the lakers and their length seems to give many teams problems. Even though Cousins doesnt have great leaping ability his 7-5 wingspan will surely alter many interior shots. Pair these two up and you got the inside on lock!!

But I just wanted to get your guys opinions on who we take in the draft now and how the future coming of Dalembert might alter our draft position.

Thanks guys and GO KINGS!

Bpa

I would still take the best player available. You are right. Cousins and Dalenbert would be awesome. With Dalenbert, Cousins, Brockman, Landry and Thompson we would now have one of the strongest frontcourt combinations in the league. We could go small or big whenever we needed.
If Cousins is gone now we can go Wesley Johnson. If not shooting guards are always attainable. Would we look good enough for Joe Johnson to consider coming to the Kings? Or we can draft a SG with our second round pick. Things are looking great for the Kings. I can't wait for the draft. Go Kings!!!!!

I would still take the best player available. You are right. Cousins and Dalenbert would be awesome. With Dalenbert, Cousins, Brockman, Landry and Thompson we would now have one of the strongest frontcourt combinations in the league. We could go small or big whenever we needed.
If Cousins is gone now we can go Wesley Johnson. If not shooting guards are always attainable. Would we look good enough for Joe Johnson to consider coming to the Kings? Or we can draft a SG with our second round pick. Things are looking great for the Kings. I can't wait for the draft. Go Kings!!!!!
Yeah I completely agree with you! If we get Cousins im just stoked at the mismatch possibilities! The length that our interior defense would present would be a problem for any team. I also thought about the possibility of us signing a free agent and we could make a run this year because we have cap space but I think it would be more realistic in 2011. With the option to trade Dalembert if he doesnt pan out at the deadline or letting him come off the books either way we will be getting a valuable asset in return. For now we are just gonna have to play the waiting game and see how it all pans out.

Joe Johnson would be an absolutely horrible fit next to Tyreke. He's ball dominant, and over-rated IMO.

I'd be happy with drafting Jordan Crawford at #33 and trying him out at the 2. Word is his stock is on the rise though, so that's looking unlikely

Johnson - No chance.

not sure what to make of this.

Sammy D brings almost 10 rebounds from 25 minutes play and he's good down low with a PG who looks to pass.

I love it. Dalembert could probably be resigned for what Nocioni was getting. We just addressed a MAJOR need with this deal, atleast for a year. If we do end up selecting Cousins im going to be in heaven. Having Cousins/Dalembert means we'd have a shotblocker on the floor at all times.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Joe Johnson would be an absolutely horrible fit next to Tyreke. He's ball dominant, and over-rated IMO.

I'd be happy with drafting Jordan Crawford at #33 and trying him out at the 2. Word is his stock is on the rise though, so that's looking unlikely
You don't like Joe Johnson because he's ball dominate, but you want Crawford, another ball dominate guard.. Don't quite get that one..

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I don't think it's a stretch too resign Dalembert next season if we don't trade him at the deadline. His agent in on record, more than once, saying Sac would be the perfect destination for him. Either way, we just got better, and have more options.

I don't think it's a stretch too resign Dalembert next season if we don't trade him at the deadline. His agent in on record, more than once, saying Sac would be the perfect destination for him. Either way, we just got better, and have more options.
We'll see how things play out, but Dalembert is not center of the future material. Maybe as a backup, but he may end up being too expensive for that role.

We'll see how things play out, but Dalembert is not center of the future material. Maybe as a backup, but he may end up being too expensive for that role.
If we make him happy and he's willing to take a financial hit compared to what he is making now... I'd be happy to bring him on as a sixth man. he averages 10 rpg and 2 bpg in 25 mpg.... beast.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't want him to be our center of the future. But as the first big off the bench, on a mid-level type contract, I would be all for it.

You don't like Joe Johnson because he's ball dominate, but you want Crawford, another ball dominate guard.. Don't quite get that one..
Jordan crowford you can move if it doesn't work out, 14m a year Jonson will be impossible, well maybe possible in a Webber type of trade...

I wouldn't want him to be our center of the future. But as the first big off the bench, on a mid-level type contract, I would be all for it.
If he's just a backup center, then how many minutes is he bound to play? The reason Lamar Odom gets so many minutes being a sixth man as strictly a PF is because Gasol has the versatility to play both PF and C. Will we have a center that can double as a PF when Dalembert is in? We'll have to see.

If Kings are merely renting S.D. for a year at $13mil so be it. The fact that he's playing for a new NBA contract right here, right now, looks like added bonus. Probably better we got him for the 2010-11 season instead of last year when GP was trying to pry him away from Philly. Getting rid of Nocioni's multi-year contract, plus fact he wanted out of Sac is more added Kings bonus. Soft Spencer is not likely to start putting up double-doubles in Chris Kaman clone fashion, even as we all hoped he "might." Blocking shots is not in his vocabulary just like toughness is another big void. Considering Hawes fragile knees he was "developing" into little more than your standard bench fodder. Now, if we'd only gotten that draft lottery pick # FOUR - instead of now dreading what # FIVE may bring.

I think it'd be pointless to gamble on Johnson fitting with Tyreke for > $12M per year, when I think it's pretty clear that he wouldn't. Could I be wrong? Absolutely. But Johnson has gotten a taste of being "the man" of his team, and I don't think he'd like taking a step back in his career for a 20 year old.

Crawford on the other hand, if we were to nab him with #33, wouldn't even be a guaranteed contract. We can bring him in for < $1M per year and see what he can do. And Crawford doesn't yet know his role in the league, so I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem being the second option in the backcourt behind Tyreke.

And I'd like to add that I just like Crawford's game, as he's one of a few players I actually got to watch a couple of games of throughout the year. I'm not even gonna pretend to know as much about NCAA as you do. I just wanna see us take a flyer on a SG with #33 if we go big with #5

If he's just a backup center, then how many minutes is he bound to play? The reason Lamar Odom gets so many minutes being a sixth man as strictly a PF is because Gasol has the versatility to play both PF and C. Will we have a center that can double as a PF when Dalembert is in? We'll have to see.
Jason Thompson. And i just saw that someone else already posted that. Assuming we draft Cousins we'd have to split 2 front court spots between Cousins/Dalembert/Landry/Thompson. I assume Cousins would get the largest share of those minutes and that Dalembert would only come into the Game when Cousins comes off the floor. So who do we start at power forward? Do we evenly split the minutes between Landry and Thompson? Who would start between Landry and Thompson? I think i would want to see Cousins and Thompson start and have Landry be the first front court substitution. I would try to have Landry on the floor while Dalembert is in the game. That combo seems to be the most complimentary to me.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Dalembert's been a very productive shotblocker/rebounder for years in limited 25-30 min outings. That's a very common player on elite teams. If we draft a franchise center will he maybe cost too much to be a backup? Sure. But who cares. Under any other scenario he has the same use that Kendrick Perkins, Tyson Chandler, Birdman, Bynum, Varejao, Dampier etc. etc. have. Control the damn paint. Last time we had a legit guy at that it was Keon Clark in 2002-03. That's 7 years ago.

I think you can read this trade, as it relates to the draft, however you want to. It means we're getting Cousins, or that we no longer need him as much and are getting Johnson, or are getting Monroe... whatever it is you want to see in it, it's there.

I'm not drawing any conclusions one way or the other.

Assuming we draft Cousins we'd have to split 2 front court spots between Cousins/Dalembert/Landry/Thompson.

I think i would want to see Cousins and Thompson start and have Landry be the first front court substitution. I would try to have Landry on the floor while Dalembert is in the game. That combo seems to be the most complimentary to me.
This was my thinking as well and it's pretty damn exciting to consider that this may indeed happen. That group is very solid.

I still think we take Cousins if available.. Dalembert is a foul machine like Thompson so there will be PLENTY of minutes going to Landry and Cousins.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Shouldn't make a difference one way or the other. That said, if Cousins is available, and they don't draft him, you can bet they'll say that they already have Dalembert so don't make a big deal about it.

Dalembert's been a very productive shotblocker/rebounder for years in limited 25-30 min outings. That's a very common player on elite teams. If we draft a franchise center will he maybe cost too much to be a backup? Sure. But who cares. Under any other scenario he has the same use that Kendrick Perkins, Tyson Chandler, Birdman, Bynum, Varejao, Dampier etc. etc. have. Control the damn paint. Last time we had a legit guy at that it was Keon Clark in 2002-03. That's 7 years ago.
I've watched Dalembert play and he doesn't impact the game the way his stats suggest. He's one of the most undisciplined defenders in the league.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shouldn't make a difference one way or the other. That said, if Cousins is available, and they don't draft him, you can bet they'll say that they already have Dalembert so don't make a big deal about it.
Petrie isn't Kahn - he doesn't explain WHY he passed over certain players for the one he drafted. The most he'll ever give in that vein is to praise the player he's being asked about and then tell you that he picked the guy he did because of this skill and that skill and so on.

I do think your posts show a desire to criticize the Kings regardless of what they do. The vast majority of your comments on the draft have focused on Cousins' "red flags" and why the Kings shouldn't take them. So if they pass, why do you care what the justification is?

The fact of the matter is that this move doesn't change the draft board in any way, shape or form. The Kings had a serviceable starting center before in Hawes and have one again in Dalembert - albeit with different strengths and flaws. Neither have the low post scoring or potential of Cousins and both are scheduled to be free agents after the season.

If Cousins is there and Petrie passes I will be bummed intially but I won't be calling for Geoff's head. I'll wait and see if Cousins really does produce in the NBA like I think he will before I get upset. I think the red flags are overblown but maybe they aren't. Maybe Cousins will completely fizzle out in the NBA. We'll see.

It's why as much as I love the NBA draft, you really can't evaluate it at all for at least a year and can't evaluate it fully for at least three.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Petrie isn't Kahn - he doesn't explain WHY he passed over certain players for the one he drafted. The most he'll ever give in that vein is to praise the player he's being asked about and then tell you that he picked the guy he did because of this skill and that skill and so on.

I do think your posts show a desire to criticize the Kings regardless of what they do. The vast majority of your comments on the draft have focused on Cousins' "red flags" and why the Kings shouldn't take them. So if they pass, why do you care what the justification is?

The fact of the matter is that this move doesn't change the draft board in any way, shape or form. The Kings had a serviceable starting center before in Hawes and have one again in Dalembert - albeit with different strengths and flaws. Neither have the low post scoring or potential of Cousins and both are scheduled to be free agents after the season.

If Cousins is there and Petrie passes I will be bummed intially but I won't be calling for Geoff's head. I'll wait and see if Cousins really does produce in the NBA like I think he will before I get upset. I think the red flags are overblown but maybe they aren't. Maybe Cousins will completely fizzle out in the NBA. We'll see.

It's why as much as I love the NBA draft, you really can't evaluate it at all for at least a year and can't evaluate it fully for at least three.
I'm really not sure what the thrust of your post is. My post said that this trade wouldn't make a difference in the pick. You say it won't make a difference in the pick. You want Cousins. I don't. You don't think people on this board will be calling for Petrie's head if Petrie passes on Cousins? Seriously?

Is Cousin's attitude what turns you most off Kingster? Ever since I heard you talk about him for the first time a while back I am getting this vibe from you that it's kind of the old adage "you cannot have everyone like you". It's pike no matter what this kid does you don't think he could be the center of the future for this franchise, or even a top 5 center in the league. I am sure there will be many who are upset if we pass on him, but i guess we who want him so very much just see a lot of potential in him. Would you rather have Monroe??? Do you think he would make this team THAT much better then DMC?