2009-10 Kings draft position thread

How bout we draft cousins and go after Joe Johnson as a free agent.
Starting 5 Bench
PG Evans Beno
SG Johnson Cisco
SF Caspi Donte
PF Landry Thompson and Brockman
C Cousins Hawes and Brockman

This team could make the playoffs real quick.
Sign me up. To be honest, id like our biggest moves to be made for defensive purposes. Im really not that fond of the idea of another star perimeter player on this team. If you add Cousins/Favors to our roster I think wed have more than enough scoring ability. Defense is where its at.

Last edited:
How bout we draft cousins and go after Joe Johnson as a free agent.
Starting 5 Bench
PG Evans Beno
SG Johnson Cisco
SF Caspi Donte
PF Landry Thompson and Brockman
C Cousins Hawes and Brockman

This team could make the playoffs real quick.
This team would also exit the playoffs real quick. Joe Johnson is not a good fit with Tyreke

Sign me up. To be honest, id like our biggest moves to be made for defensive purposes. Im really not that fond of the idea of another star perimeter player on this team. If you add Cousins/Favors to our roster I think wed have more than enough scoring ability. Defense is where its at.
I'm with you. We have no problems with scoring. We have had defensive issues for a LONG time now and I hope we can really address them next season. We really need to beef up the front court so that we can compete on both ends of the ball. If Hawes and Thompson had half the toughness of Brockman we'd be alright. :(

Wow. How unlikely was that!
Code:
[FONT=Courier New]8. LA Clippers    29-53    .354    W 1   
6. Philadelphia   27-55    .329    L 2
6. Detroit        27-55    .329    W 1
4. Golden State   26-56    .317    W 1   
4. Washington     26-56    .317    W 1
3. Sacramento     25-57    .305    L 3
2. Minnesota      15-67    .183    L 7
1. New Jersey     12-70    .146    L 3[/FONT]
TDOS can now officially begin.

Code:
Maybe for you. The playoffs havent even started yet. Theres alot more parody between the elite teams this year if you ask me. It should be exciting. One thing is for sure, ill be cheering as hard as possible for whoever plays the 7akers.

Code:

Check out the logjam at 4-7, I'm sorry but I have to say it guys, I LOVE THIS GAME!!! Is it just me, or do I have a lucky iPod? Two wosses in one night, could be the two best wosses in King's history. Let the John Wall sweepstakes begin (then trade down if we get him!)

L

LWP777

For those who didn't get to watch the GS game - it was really funny.

Devean George fouled out, and Nellie wanted him to stay in, telling the refs that he didn't have any other guys who could play cos they were injured. But since they were in uniform (you need to dress a certain number of players) the refs said that they had to at least see the floor. So he put Chris Hunter in (who was visibly limping), then Hunter fouled. He put Turiaf in, immediately fouled. He put Anthony Morrow in, immediately fouled. Then he got to put George back in.

He then proceeded to clear his entire bench, sending them to the locker room so as to avoid any further problems. The bench was literally empty

It was really quite LOL
LOL, sounds like Nellie really wanted to win that game. :eek:

Wow, I take one night off, and all hell breaks loose! I can't think of any recent time other than draft night when we've had the server overloaded with no Kings game on.

I'd also add... YES!!! For once our season ends right!

wtf, cousins at PF? turner at SF?

dude, you throw them out of position where we don't have an advantage-

cousins isn't that mobile so putting him at PF is a disservice of his talent.

if you want to get crazy, why not put evans at center and brockman at PG
oops I was meant to have cousins @ C and thompson @ PF ... my bad ...

Hmm I'm kinda curious what the history is with teams finishing with the third worst record and retaining a top 4 pick...considering you have nearly a 70% chance of having a top 4 falling out of that top 4 shouldn't happen too often.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
You know what, I vote that we send Webber out again. He got us the 4th pick in the draft which turned out to be the best player. If the draft were redone today I believe Evans would go #1.
Hmmm! Webber's number with the Kings was 4. We send him and we end up with the 4th pick. Me thinks we should send someone whose number was either 1 or 2. Just another way to look at it...

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Do you think Cousins is a better prospect than Greg Ogden (pre-injury)? Not saying if he is or isn't, but think it is a reasonable comparison to make because very similar type players. Ogden way more explosive, and his rookie year pre-injury he struggled to find his way. Couldn't score, always in foul trouble.
Two entirely different types of players. Oden is the better athlete and defensive player. Cousins is a much better offensive player. Both are, or were in Oden's case, great rebounders. Oden was one of the most athletic big men to come around in a long time. And I'm talking 7 foot, 280 pound big. Not 7 foot, 220 pound big. So the only thing similar is the fact that both are either 7 foot tall, or close to it, and both weigh around 280 pounds.

Here's a 16yr history; Listed in order of how teams finished, and where they moved up from in the lottery...

Sacramento
Washington
#1 - LA Clippers (Blake Griffin)
#3 - Oklahoma (James Harden)
Minnesota
#2 - Memphis (Hasheem Thabeet)
Golden State
New York
Toronto
Milwaukee
New Jersey
Charlotte
Indiana
Phoenix

#2 - Miami (Michael Beasley)
Seattle
#3 - Minnesota(O.J. Mayo)
Memphis
New York
L.A. Clippers
Milwaukee
Charlotte
#1 - Chicago (Derrick Rose)
New Jersey
Indiana
Sacramento
Portland
Golden State

Memphis
Boston
Milwaukee
#3 - Atlanta (Al Horford)
#2 - Seattle (Kevin Durant)
Minnesota
#1 - Portland (Greg Oden)
Charlotte
New York
Sacramento
Indiana
Philadelphia
New Orleans
Los Angeles

Portland
#2 - New York (LaMarcus Aldridge *pick traded to Chicago)
#3 - Charlotte (Adam Morrison)
Atlanta
#1 - Toronto (Andrea Bargnani)
Minnesota
Boston
Houston
Golden State
Seattle
Orlando
NO/Okla. City
Philadelphia
Utah

#2 - Atlanta (Marvin Williams)
New Orleans
Charlotte
Utah
#3 - Portland (Deron Williams *pick traded to Utah)
#1 - Milwaukee (Andrew Bogut)
Toronto
New York
Golden State
L.A. Lakers
Orlando
L.A. Clippers
Cleveland
Minnesota

#1 - Orlando (Dwight Howard)
#3 - Chicago (Ben Gordon)
Washington
#2 - L.A. Clippers (Emeka Okafor *pick traded to Charlotte)
Atlanta
Phoenix
Toronto
Philadelphia
Cleveland
Golden State
Seattle
Portland
Utah

#1 - Cleveland (LeBron James)
#3 - Denver (Carmelo Anthony)
Toronto
Miami
L.A. Clippers
#2 - Memphis (Darko Milicic *pick traded to Detroit)
Chicago
Atlanta
New York
Washington
Golden State
Seattle
Houston

#3 - Golden State (Mile Dunleavy)
#2 - Chicago (Jay Williams)
Memphis
Denver
#1 - Houston (Yao Ming)
Cleveland
New York
Atlanta
Phoenix
Miami
Washington
L.A. Clippers
Milwaukee

Chicago
Golden State
#1 - Washington (Kwame Brown)
Vancouver
#3 - Atlanta (Pau Gasol)
New Jersey
Cleveland
#2 - L.A. Clippers (Tyson Chandler)
Detroit
Boston
Denver
Seattle
Houston

#3 - L.A. Clippers (Darius Miles)
Chicago
Orlando via G.S.
#2 - Vancouver (Stromile Swift)
Atlanta
Washington
#1 - New Jersey (Kenyon Martin)
Cleveland
Houston
Orlando via Denver
Boston
Dallas
Orlando

#2 - Vancouver (Steve Francis)
L.A. Clippers
#1 - Chicago (Elton Brand)
Toronto via Denver
Minnesota via N.J.
Washington
Boston
Phoenix via Dallas
Golden State
Cleveland
Toronto
Seattle
#3 - Charlotte (Baron Davis)

#3 - Denver (Raef LaFrentz)
Toronto
#1 - L.A. Clippers (Michael Olowokandi)
Golden State (Vince Carter *traded to Toronto for Antwan Jamison)
#2 - Vancouver (Mike Bibby)
Dallas
Sacramento
Philadelphia
Milwaukee
Boston
Detroit
Orlando
Washington
Note: Per their expansion agreements, Vancouver and Toronto cannot select first in the 1998 NBA Draft. In the event one of those teams wins the 1998 NBA Draft Lottery, that team will be entitled to the second selection in the 1998 NBA Draft.

Vancouver
#3 - Boston (Chauncey Billups
#1 - San Antonio (Tim Duncan)
Denver
#2 - Philadelphia (Keith Van Horn)
Boston
New Jersey
Golden State
Toronto
Milwaukee
Sacramento
Indiana
Cleveland
Note: Per their expansion agreements, Vancouver and Toronto cannot select first in the 1997 or 1998 NBA Drafts. In the event one of those teams qualifies for and wins the 1997 NBA Draft Lottery, that team will be entitled to the second selection in the 1997 NBA Draft.

#3 - Vancouver (Shareef Abdur-Rahim)
#1 - Philadelphia (Allen Iverson)
#2 - Toronto (Marcus Camby)
Milwaukee
Minnesota
Dallas
L.A. Clippers
New Jersey
Dallas
Denver
Golden State
Cleveland
Charlotte

#2 - L.A. Clippers (Antonio McDyess *pick traded to Denver)
Washington
Minnesota
#3 - Philadelphia (Jerry Stackhouse)
#1 - Golden State (Joe Smith)
Detroit
New Jersey
Miami
Milwaukee
Dallas
Sacramento

#2 - Dallas (Jason Kidd)
#3 - Detroit (Grant Hill)
Minnesota
#1 - Milwaukee (Glenn Robinson)
Washington
Philadelphia
L.A. Clippers
Sacramento
Boston
L.A. Lakers
Charlotte

bajaden

Hall of Famer
mac that sounds like one of the most bizarre things that can ever happen in an NBA game. Wish I could have watched those final minutes :D

I have never seen anything like it in all my years of watching NBA basketball. The league requires you suit up 8 players. But in the Warriors case three of the players they suited up had previous injuries, with Hunter being the only one that was though to be able to contribute. They had a D-league player playing center. I think the dude ended up with something like 18 points and 14 rebounds. When George fouled out, the Warriors were up by 4 pts with around 3 minutes left in the game. Hunter who had reinjured the Knee was forced back into the game over the protestations of Nellie. He was pitiful to watch running the court. Believe it or not, he actually blocked a shot.

Nellie then pulled him and sent him to the locker room. He tried to put George back into the game because the rules say that if everyone has fouled out and no one is left, then a fouled out player can play, with the caveat of everytime he fouls someone, its also a technical foul. The ref's then said that either Turiaf or Morrow would have to play since they were suited up for the game. So Nellie had each one enter the game and immediately foul someone. He then pulled them from the game and sent them to the locker room as injured players. finally the ref's allowed George back into the game. In the process of all this the Warriors lead went from being up 4 to down 3. Which Curry quickly fixed by hitting a three pointer. I was amazed that the Warriors were able to go on and win the game.

L

LWP777

I have never seen anything like it in all my years of watching NBA basketball. The league requires you suit up 8 players. But in the Warriors case three of the players they suited up had previous injuries, with Hunter being the only one that was though to be able to contribute. They had a D-league player playing center. I think the dude ended up with something like 18 points and 14 rebounds. When George fouled out, the Warriors were up by 4 pts with around 3 minutes left in the game. Hunter who had reinjured the Knee was forced back into the game over the protestations of Nellie. He was pitiful to watch running the court. Believe it or not, he actually blocked a shot.

Nellie then pulled him and sent him to the locker room. He tried to put George back into the game because the rules say that if everyone has fouled out and no one is left, then a fouled out player can play, with the caveat of everytime he fouls someone, its also a technical foul. The ref's then said that either Turiaf or Morrow would have to play since they were suited up for the game. So Nellie had each one enter the game and immediately foul someone. He then pulled them from the game and sent them to the locker room as injured players. finally the ref's allowed George back into the game. In the process of all this the Warriors lead went from being up 4 to down 3. Which Curry quickly fixed by hitting a three pointer. I was amazed that the Warriors were able to go on and win the game.
If I was a Warriors fan I would be really pissed off right now! Thanks Nellie!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Sooner or later we're gonna need some veteran presences on this team in order to contend.
I'm not sure if thats true..

Oklahoma Thunder:

Kevin Durant: age 21
Jeff Green: age 23
Russell Westbrook: age 21
Nenad Krstic: age 26
Thabo Sefolsha: age 25
Mustafa Shakur: age 25
Kyle Weaver: age 24
D.J. White: age 23
Byron Mullens: age 21
Eric Maynor: age 22

This is the core of their team, which is similar in age to the Kings, although more talented overall at the moment. They only have three so called vets on their team in Kevin Ollie at age 37, Etan Thomas, age 32 and Nick Collison at age 29. None of which are major peices of the team except maybe for Collison.

The Kings have three similar players in Garcia at age 28, Nocioni at age 30 and Udoka at age 32. I do think that Udoka will return to the Kings next year if possible. I know Westphal likes his versatility.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Maybe for you. The playoffs havent even started yet. Theres alot more parody between the elite teams this year if you ask me. It should be exciting. One thing is for sure, ill be cheering as hard as possible for whoever plays the 7akers.
I believe that will be Kevin Durant and the Thunder. It wouldn't shock me to see the Thunder give the Lakers a hard time, and even possibly win the series. It all depends on how healthy Kobe is and whether they get Bynum back.

I see your point bajaden but i prefer a team that has a goo mix of veterans and youngsters like we had when Webb and vlade meshed with the youngsters we had back then. It's not that I'm opposed to following the thunders and blazers foot steps it's just that I prefer some veterans but not a lot of them ;)

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I believe that will be Kevin Durant and the Thunder. It wouldn't shock me to see the Thunder give the Lakers a hard time, and even possibly win the series. It all depends on how healthy Kobe is and whether they get Bynum back.
Wouldn't shock me either if OKC wins. It really goes against history because experience is so important, but the matchups really could be bad for the Lakers, especially if Bynum is out or has few minutes. Westbrook is going to be a nightmare for any guard they put on him. Durant is a nightmare for everybody. Odom might match up well with Green though. That's a question mark. As far as Kobe is concerned, from what I've seen and heard, it's not injuries, it's age that's creeping in. And if it is age, and stamina is an issue, OKC is definitely not the team to play. They will wear you out.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Wouldn't shock me either if OKC wins. It really goes against history because experience is so important, but the matchups really could be bad for the Lakers, especially if Bynum is out or has few minutes. Westbrook is going to be a nightmare for any guard they put on him. Durant is a nightmare for everybody. Odom might match up well with Green though. That's a question mark. As far as Kobe is concerned, from what I've seen and heard, it's not injuries, it's age that's creeping in. And if it is age, and stamina is an issue, OKC is definitely not the team to play. They will wear you out.
Kobe has played 1021 games in the NBA. The average NBA player is out of the game before he reaches 900 games, or shortly after going over 900 games. It has nothing to do with age. Look at Garnett. He's played in 1124 games. Garnett is only 33 years old and Kobe 31. But you can see the wear and tear on them. I'm not saying that they're done, especially Kobe. They both take good care of themselves, and wouldn't have made it this far if they hadn't. But both are on the downside of their careers. Look for more injuries in the future for both of them.

I remember watching Willie Mays go from being good player to an embarassment in one offseason. It can happen very quickly. Or one major injury can end everything. Just ask Webb.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Kobe has played 1021 games in the NBA. The average NBA player is out of the game before he reaches 900 games, or shortly after going over 900 games. It has nothing to do with age. Look at Garnett. He's played in 1124 games. Garnett is only 33 years old and Kobe 31. But you can see the wear and tear on them. I'm not saying that they're done, especially Kobe. They both take good care of themselves, and wouldn't have made it this far if they hadn't. But both are on the downside of their careers. Look for more injuries in the future for both of them.

I remember watching Willie Mays go from being good player to an embarassment in one offseason. It can happen very quickly. Or one major injury can end everything. Just ask Webb.
I mean "effective" age, not "chronological" age. We don't have a disagreement.

Evans is on Carmichael Dave's show right now..he said if he could have anyone ...

"Give me Cousins"

Let's grant him his wish ;)
Interesting...I wouldnt complain one bit if we got Cousins...even though I'm in Favor of drafting Derrick. We'll have to see. Anyone seen this kid from Serbia, Miroslav Raduljica? Watched him a bit and he's got skills...good in the post...very good passer, especially in the lanes, decent outside shot, good size(7'0/235). I'd definitely look at him with our 2nd round pick if he's still available.

He also said he wouldn't complain if he got Turner or Favors, but interesting enough, never said anything about Wall. But yeah, he was loving the thought of having Cousins on the team. He and Dave were drooling about Cousins being in the middle, impacting the game with his big body and rebounding.

That list above was intriguing, hard to make a good assessment (because my name is not Bricklayer, Cap. Fact, are hammystyl) due to the fact that the draft system changed a little bit in the past 16 years. Even still, it gives me a little bit of comfort to see #3 getting top four or (much) better all but three times, I think that's a positive on the horizon maybe, I donno what do you guys think?