2009-10 Kings draft position thread

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
dont look at the win column ...you look at the loss column
Well, actually insofar as that's a reasonable strategy, it's the appropriate strategy for getting the best record, rather than the worst.

The whole reason for looking at one column rather than another is that teams haven't always played the same number of games. The reason you look at the loss column for playoff teams is that playoff-contention teams are good, and the expectation is that they will win. If I'm a playoff team and I want to know how safe my lead is, I look at the loss column, which tells me how many times I can screw up (lose) and still maintain my lead. When trying to get the worst record, the whole situation is reversed, and the win column is the one to watch.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well, actually insofar as that's a reasonable strategy, it's the appropriate strategy for getting the best record, rather than the worst.

The whole reason for looking at one column rather than another is that teams haven't always played the same number of games. The reason you look at the loss column for playoff teams is that playoff-contention teams are good, and the expectation is that they will win. If I'm a playoff team and I want to know how safe my lead is, I look at the loss column, which tells me how many times I can screw up (lose) and still maintain my lead. When trying to get the worst record, the whole situation is reversed, and the win column is the one to watch.
Correcto mundo!!! If you go by the losses were tied with Washington and Golden State for the third spot. At the end of the year, the team with the most losses, wins. Kind of an oxymoron.

Unfortunately, we have more wins than they do. Once you have a win, you can't turn it back into a loss.

Last edited:
Ideally, I PRAY TO GOD that we get the 2nd Overall pick and take Evan Turner!
Honestly think that a back court of:

Tyreke Evans
Evan Turner
Donte Greene

Has the potential (and I'm VERY confident) to be the HARDEST backcourt to play against both on offense and on defense.

Casspi, Udrih and Garcia is also a very strong bench to have, but most likely one will be traded to upgrade the front court.

The front court will still be weak:

Thompson / Landry
Hawes

But I still drool at the possibility of that back court :p

If that does happen, I would dangle a package of:

Thompson + Landry + (one of Garcia, Udrih or Casspi) to see what is out there for our frontcourt.

EVAN TURNER PLEASE!!!!!
I think Evan Turner would be an IDEAL pick for us with Tyreke. Those two would complement each other very well. However, Cousins or Favors(if we have a choice I go Cousins, methinks) would be EXCELLENT consolation prizes as well.

Getting a top 3 pick this year would be astronomical for our rebuilding process.

Capt. Factorial clarifies things...as usual.

Seriously, are you a professor or something similar? I always appreciate you explaining things I have no patience to articulate. :)

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Capt. Factorial clarifies things...as usual.

Seriously, are you a professor or something similar? I always appreciate you explaining things I have no patience to articulate. :)
Non-professor scientist, recklessly toeing the line between didactic and pedantic. :D

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Ideally, I PRAY TO GOD that we get the 2nd Overall pick and take Evan Turner!
Honestly think that a back court of:

Tyreke Evans
Evan Turner
Donte Greene

Has the potential (and I'm VERY confident) to be the HARDEST backcourt to play against both on offense and on defense.

Casspi, Udrih and Garcia is also a very strong bench to have, but most likely one will be traded to upgrade the front court.

The front court will still be weak:

Thompson / Landry
Hawes

But I still drool at the possibility of that back court :p

If that does happen, I would dangle a package of:

Thompson + Landry + (one of Garcia, Udrih or Casspi) to see what is out there for our frontcourt.

EVAN TURNER PLEASE!!!!!
I'll second that. He's the one I want the most.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

Good point.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Go Warriors! Haha.

Realistically, I'm hoping we go Aldrich. His D and rebounding is much needed. Guy is a center who actually plays like a center. Although I'd be fine swinging for the fences with one of Udoh or Whiteside.

If we are somehow blessed with a top 3 pick, I want Cousins.

Seems like Washington have 3rd place sealed.
With their remaining schedule Warriors can easily go 3-3. With the way Pistons play maximum what they get is a win in Minny which means
1. Nets
2. Wolves
3. Bullets
4. Pistons
5-6. Warriors and Kings

Yes, GSW wost, but they still have 2 more wosses to catch up with us, or it won't matter. And all the other remotely competing teams that played today (IND, DET, WAS, NYK) got lins. Nights like that, where the competition woses 20%, won't really do.

1. NJN 10-65 .133
2. MIN 15-60 .200
3-4. WAS/GSW 22-53 .293
5. DET 23-52 .307
6. SAC 24-52 .316
7-8. PHI/NYK 26-49 .347
9. LAC 27-48 .360
10. IND 28-48 .368

6 games left in the season... it's been a nice ride this year with the young guys.

detroit has philly and minnesota left in the season. if they win either, we'll be tied with them for the 5th spot.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Go Warriors! Haha.

Realistically, I'm hoping we go Aldrich. His D and rebounding is much needed. Guy is a center who actually plays like a center. Although I'd be fine swinging for the fences with one of Udoh or Whiteside.

If we are somehow blessed with a top 3 pick, I want Cousins.
Swing for the fences, baby! Can't be playing it safe with Aldrich if you have a top 7 pick. That's star territory, not complementary pieces.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I am praying we get a top 4 pick. Maybe even top 5. Lose from here on out, do what we have to do to give us the best chance at a top 5. IMO, a top 5 just about guarantee's a star player. As soon as you drop to picking between 6-10, you still get a very good player, but maybe not a star.

I really, really want either Turner, Cousins, or Favors. I don't see anyway Turner drops past the 2nd pick. But picking at 4 or 5 just about guarantees we get a pick of either Cousins or Favors. I could see either Aminu or Wesley Johnson being picked ahead of either Cousins or Favors. Maybe not, but I see either Cousins or Favors being available with the 5th pick, and both gone by the 6th. Both will be stars IMO, and both would be the best at their positions the day they step on the court for us.

I am praying we get a top 4 pick. Maybe even top 5. Lose from here on out, do what we have to do to give us the best chance at a top 5. IMO, a top 5 just about guarantee's a star player. As soon as you drop to picking between 6-10, you still get a very good player, but maybe not a star.

I really, really want either Turner, Cousins, or Favors. I don't see anyway Turner drops past the 2nd pick. But picking at 4 or 5 just about guarantees we get a pick of either Cousins or Favors. I could see either Aminu or Wesley Johnson being picked ahead of either Cousins or Favors. Maybe not, but I see either Cousins or Favors being available with the 5th pick, and both gone by the 6th. Both will be stars IMO, and both would be the best at their positions the day they step on the court for us.
I believe we will be limited to 1-2-3 through ping pong balls or MAYBE if Detroit gets stupid good, 5th+. 4th isn't a possibility. Well, unless we traded for it.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

The dark horse in the draft is the Warriors. I don't know how much influence Nellie still has there, but if he still has control, then god knows what he'll do. I don't see Cousins as a Nellie type of player. Maybe Favors. But if the Warriors end up 4th and Cousins is still on the board, I could see Nellie passing on him for someone like Aminu, Motiejunas, or Johnson. Cousins just doesn't fit into Nellie's run and gun offense.

There are always GM's that make wrong decisions, or at best, surprising decisions.

I can't imagine GS giving that much power to Nelson. I mean really, why isn't their obsession with him over with by now? They have no real future with him as a coach.

I can't imagine GS giving that much power to Nelson. I mean really, why isn't their obsession with him over with by now? They have no real future with him as a coach.
Possibly because there's no one in their front office that has even the slightest clue about basketball. Once they're bought up, Nelson should be the first to go.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I certainly agree with you. But right now that whole orgainzation is in chaos. The owner is trying to sell, and I'm not sure who is running things right now. Nellie may be the smartest basketball man they have right now. And thats a scarey thought..

A couple of interesting games tonight.

WAS vs NJN: GO WIZARDS!

LAC vs NYK: The Knicks are trailing us more closely than the Clippers are, but having either of them wose will make me happy.

Less interesting: GSW will get whipped at Toronto. Indiana has Houston visiting, and Minny's going to lose at OKC, but they're not competitors anymore.

3-4. GSW/WAS 22-53 .293
5. DET 23-53 .303
6. SAC 24-53 .312
7. PHI 26-50 .342
8. NYK 26-49 .347
9. LAC 27-49 .355

Odds of a top-3 draft pick for remotely possible endings:
4th: 37.8%
5th: 29.2%
6th: 21.5%
7th: 15.0%
8th: 10.0%

(If we were tied with one or more teams, these odds wouldn't apply, but I'll do that math once Detroit, Washington and Golden State all tie with us. :-D)

Last edited: