Tyreke Evans ROTY & 20/5/5 Watch

I wasn't sure where to put this, but here is a link from nba.com about a discussion of rookie of the year race. Vince Thomas (never heard of him before now) not only thinks Curry will be ROY but will end up in the future being the best from this class and one of the best of his era. Sometimes I wonder if they have ever watched Tyreke play. I try as best as I can to not be biased, and I just don't see how people could consider Curry better than Tyreke.. now and in the future.

Here's the link:
http://www.nba.com/video/channels/originals/2010/03/16/20100316_rookie_chatter.nba/index.html
I really don't see how anybody can predict Curry to be a better player in the future. I like Curry a lot, and I think he could end up being a legit top 20 in the league kind of guy. The dude is an absolute assassin with that shot of his, and he sees the floor well and makes excellent passes. That being said, however, Tyreke has the potential to be a full tier higher than him. Right now, Tyreke is putting equal/better stats with big holes in his game, is younger, and plays MUCH better defense than Curry (people forget that defense is half the game). Tyreke is already better right now, and has much more room to improve. You could make the argument that Tyreke is having the best rookie season since Tim Duncan (though both Paul's and James' rookie years were roughly comparable to the year that Evans is having).

Curry has the opportunity to be the Reggie Miller of point guards. Tyreke has the opportunity to be the Lebron James of point guards.

Edit: This doesn't mean that Curry won't end up better than Evans, it's certainly possible, but it seems less likely.

Last edited:
K

Kingsguy881

Steph Curry played the Lakers and Fisher guarded him.....Evans played the Lakers and Artest guarded him....there is a big difference between these two point guards. Curry is good. Evans is a stud.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yep! Good news! I was just trying to make myself feel better...just in case, ya know? :D
Yep.

My comment isn't based on anything I've heard, BTW. But since it was a mild concussion and only a bruised jaw, I cannot imagine Reke sitting on the sidelines in a suit. It's just not how he wants to pass the time. I fully expect him to be back for the Memphis game but if not, I have no doubt at all he'll be on the road trip in fine form.

+16 (+5) = +21 pts
+6 (+6) = +12 rebs
+36 (+4) = +40 ast
+21 (-5) = +16 pts
+12 (-1) = +11 reb
+40 (-1) = +39 ast

Since we're following the whole 20-5-5 goal, here are how many games the 20-5-5 crew played in their first years:

Oscar Robertson - 71 games out of 79
Michael Jordan - 82 games out of 82
LeBron James - 79 games out of 82

Reke has played 64 games out of 69. He's missed 5 games and is reported to miss at least a week. That could be anywhere from two games to seven, depending on whether or not he goes on the upcoming road trip.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm not sure where you're getting your information about him going to miss at least a week. It is NOT substantiated by the press release sent out by the Kings a short while ago:

TYREKE EVANS INJURY UPDATE

SACRAMENTO, CA ---- Sacramento Kings’ guard Tyreke Evans had an X-ray and CAT Scan taken this morning, of which the results came back negative for a fractured jaw. He will not travel with the team this afternoon to Los Angeles for tomorrow’s game against Clippers. Evans also suffered a slight concussion in last night’s 114-108 double overtime loss to Milwaukee at ARCO Arena. He will be re-evaluated Monday.

Evans, currently in his rookie NBA season, is averaging a team-leading 20.3 points (.461 FGs, .252 3FGs, .746 FTs), 5.6 assists, 5.2 rebounds and 1.45 steals per game through 64 outings of which he has started in all 64.

+21 (-5) = +16 pts
+12 (-1) = +11 reb
+40 (-1) = +39 ast

Since we're following the whole 20-5-5 goal, here are how many games the 20-5-5 crew played in their first years:

Oscar Robertson - 71 games out of 79
Michael Jordan - 82 games out of 82
LeBron James - 79 games out of 82

Reke has played 64 games out of 69. He's missed 5 games and is reported to miss at least a week. That could be anywhere from two games to seven, depending on whether or not he goes on the upcoming road trip.
Do they count missed games against the average, or do they just count the games he plays in?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Do they count missed games against the average, or do they just count the games he plays in?
No, I believe that is the whole reason we adopted the +/- system for tracking his progress since it takes games played out of the math.

I don't think he needs to sit out a full week assuming a doctor clears him to play. The NBA is not the NFL.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The only concern I could have would be if Tyreke doesn't reach the 72 game limit -- still 72 right? 70? 68? Er...anyway, there is some minimum games played limit there where for an official stat, like who leads the league in rebounding in a season etc., you have to have played some minimum # of games OR put up some minimum total numbers. Basically its to keep guys for winning those things when they only play partial seasons. Now 20-5-5 as a rookie is an unoffical stat anyway, and I've never one heard anybody attach a minimum games played prerequisite to it, but knowing how the detractors will just grab hold of ANYTHING, it would be nice for him to get over that limit of games.

Of course the other thing is that he has to come back full strength -- a few of those stats are still theoretically vulnerable if he wasn't fully himself. Westphal has impressed me thoguh as a Coach with aareness of these things, and don't think he'll use him in ways that would threaten anything. No warm up stints off the bench etc.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information about him going to miss at least a week. It is NOT substantiated by the press release sent out by the Kings a short while ago:
I saw this and hadn't checked the latest reports.

The only concern I could have would be if Tyreke doesn't reach the 72 game limit -- still 72 right? 70? 68? Er...anyway, there is some minimum games played limit there where for an official stat, like who leads the league in rebounding in a season etc., you have to have played some minimum # of games OR put up some minimum total numbers. Basically its to keep guys for winning those things when they only play partial seasons. Now 20-5-5 as a rookie is an unoffical stat anyway, and I've never one heard anybody attach a minimum games played prerequisite to it, but knowing how the detractors will just grab hold of ANYTHING, it would be nice for him to get over that limit of games.

Of course the other thing is that he has to come back full strength -- a few of those stats are still theoretically vulnerable if he wasn't fully himself. Westphal has impressed me thoguh as a Coach with aareness of these things, and don't think he'll use him in ways that would threaten anything. No warm up stints off the bench etc.
Google led me here where the info shows that to quality to be in the NBA league leaders in stats, you need:

Rebounds: 70 games or 800 rebounds
Assists: 70 games or 400 assists

I'm sure someone in Reke's camp is aware of this rule and he'll get to at least 70 games.

Chasing History: Evans needs 127pts, 22rebs and 0asts in Kings final 7gms to reach 20-5-5 averages for his rookie season.
He doesn't need to play all the remaining games to average 20-5-5; as long as he plays at required minimum for stats to count (70) so no one discredits the 20-5-5.

I'm sure the Kings organization is well aware of what he needs to get 20-5-5 and is encouraging PW to make sure Reke it done since they're promoting it with the ticket packages and tshirts and whatnot.

Chasing History: Evans needs 127pts, 22rebs and 0asts in Kings final 7gms to reach 20-5-5 averages for his rookie season.

Anyone thnk he might fall short??? I am a little worried, I really want a 30+ game form our boy tomorrow. I think that will give him a lot of breathing room, I don know though, I hate to be a party pooped but I have a bad feeling, reassure me!

Anyone thnk he might fall short??? I am a little worried, I really want a 30+ game form our boy tomorrow. I think that will give him a lot of breathing room, I don know though, I hate to be a party pooped but I have a bad feeling, reassure me!
The only thing I am worried about is the 127 points. He needs to average 18 pts a game. Hopefully he goes for like 25-30 tonight to set himself up, for the final 6 game run. CMON REKE!!!!!!

He doesn't need to play all the remaining games to average 20-5-5; as long as he plays at required minimum for stats to count (70) so no one discredits the 20-5-5.

I'm sure the Kings organization is well aware of what he needs to get 20-5-5 and is encouraging PW to make sure Reke it done since they're promoting it with the ticket packages and tshirts and whatnot.
Yeah, but Paul can't "make sure" Tyreke gets those numbers. Tyreke is the one playing, not Paul.

Also, as a coach I wouldn't be talking about this with Tyreke at all. I don't think you want to say, "Hey Tyreke you need this avg a night to get it....now go have a great game!". You want Tyreke to just go out there and do what he has done all season. Play a game not thinking about anything else other than the game. The rest will come naturally.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think everyone is aware what's at stake here and if one of the numbers actually dips he will pick it up somehow, but odds pretty good for every 15pt night there will be a 25pt night. He's put up the numbers without needing 45+ mins a night so I doubt coach needs to do anything special.

The ranking's from the web:

ESPN: #1 :)

http://espn.go.com/nba/notebook/_/page/Awards-100330/nba-awards-watch

NBA.com : # 2 :(

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/03/31/rookie.rankings/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Also on the NBA.com page are the top 10 plays from their top 3 rook's Tyreke, Curry and Jennings. I tried to take off my king's hat and look at the play's objectively, so for whatever its worth Tyreke's top 10 plays blew the other's out of the water. I have some other comments but don't want to be accused of tearing down the competition just to build up Tyreke. I'll just let his body of work speak for itsself ;)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Dear Reke,

If you need the points, your team will make sure you get them in game 82.

Sincerly,

George Gervin and David Robinson

Indeed -- if Reke needs to score 25 on the final day of the season against the Lakers I'm thinking he gets 50 shots if that's what he needs to get them. ;)

It's only fair that on a weekly ranking, Tyreke would slip. I mean, he did miss the entire week.
Right. If thats the reasoning then why is he even on the list at all? Did he have the 2nd best week out of all rookies without even playing? I dont buy this weekly ranking crap. If Evans gets robbed or has to share the award im going to be furious. Im sure David Stern would like to arrange something like that.