Tyreke Evans ROTY & 20/5/5 Watch

K

Kingsguy881

This is ridiculous. If after nearly 300 posts of what I thought was me contributing to an intelligent discussion, my motives are still in question and my opinions are marked with an asterisk, I really see no point in continuing to post on this board. Feel free to enjoy your consensus. Good thing you are nothing like those Kobe fans...
You don't seem to be picking up what I'm laying down. You are raising legitimate questions about Tyreke's game...if he wasn't a rookie. But he is, he is playing in his first season in the league, he hasn't even had a chance to sit back in the offseason and see what he did right and what he did wrong and what he needs to work on to improve. So you can make observations about his game, sure, and say this is what he needs to improve on, sure. But don't call him out about it, give the man a chance to show us improvement before you start calling him on not being a team player or playing a team game or what have you.

Tyreke will improve in all aspects. Anyone that does not believe that is being silly. Two years ago the kid was in highschool for crying out loud. I do think that Tyreke personality type is to take criticism and turn it into drive to improve his game.

1. Jumper
2. Decision making on court
3. Defense

Great thing about it is that these 3 skills are skills that are expected to improve from an NBA player in his Rookie season. And one of the things we hear about tyreke is his strong worth ethic. When you look at his body one can see that they are correct about his work ethic. You don't get to looking like that by playing video games and eating Double Double's all day.

You win championships with star wing players, not point gaurds.. ask chris paul...
Magic Johnson, Isiah Thomas, Tony Parker, Chauncey Billups. Some of their teams had good wing players. All of those point guards, if not the best player on their team, were the best backcourt player on their team. All of those players mentioned won championships. To say that only a great wing player can win a championship and not a great point guard is absurd. Tyrekes got the stuff.

Magic Johnson, Isiah Thomas, Tony Parker, Chauncey Billups. Some of their teams had good wing players. All of those point guards, if not the best player on their team, were the best backcourt player on their team. All of those players mentioned won championships. To say that only a great wing player can win a championship and not a great point guard is absurd. Tyrekes got the stuff.
All of them had extreme help and weren't the superstar on the team (except Magic.. he had that other beast though..).

What will Tyreke have to average to get 21-6-6 the rest of the way or is it too late for those ?
21-6-6 doesn't look as nice as 20-5-5. :p

Not even MJ or LBJ averaged at least 21-6-6 as rookies, only Big O has. Reke would have to put up ridiculous numbers to get his averages to 21-6-6 though, but I'm happy with 20-5-5.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
What will Tyreke have to average to get 21-6-6 the rest of the way or is it too late for those ?
Too late unless Reke does something nobody since Oscar has done -- assuming he played in every one of our last 15 games, he would need:

361pts (24.1pts)
146reb (9.7reb)
116ast (7.7ast)

If the jumper improvement were actually permanent he could actually conceivably do the first. And his assists the last couple of months have been at right about 7.0 a game, so he could even reach the assist totals needed. But if he is able to average nearly 10 rebs a game as a guard for these last 15 games as well, not only should he win rookie of the year, but they should make Stephen Curry get down on his hands and knees in I'm not worthy position and present the trophy to him.

K

Kingsguy881

too late unless reke does something nobody since oscar has done -- assuming he played in every one of our last 15 games, he would need:

361pts (24.1pts)
146reb (9.7reb)
116ast (7.7ast)

if the jumper improvement were actually permanent he could actually conceivably do the first. And his assists the last couple of months have been at right about 7.0 a game, so he could even reach the assist totals needed. But if he is able to average nearly 10 rebs a game as a guard for these last 15 games as well, not only should he win rookie of the year, but they should make stephen curry get down on his hands and knees in i'm not worthy position and present the trophy to him.
lmao!!!!!

Too late unless Reke does something nobody since Oscar has done -- assuming he played in every one of our last 15 games, he would need:

361pts (24.1pts)
146reb (9.7reb)
116ast (7.7ast)

If the jumper improvement were actually permanent he could actually conceivably do the first. And his assists the last couple of months have been at right about 7.0 a game, so he could even reach the assist totals needed. But if he is able to average nearly 10 rebs a game as a guard for these last 15 games as well, not only should he win rookie of the year, but they should make Stephen Curry get down on his hands and knees in I'm not worthy position and present the trophy to him.
Well, if we are going there, he might as well average a triple double the rest of the way :p.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note, ESPN has 'Reke back at #1 in their award's watch

LOL @ their caption

Maurice Brooks | ESPN.com said:
1. Tyreke Evans, Kings: Hey, Sacramento fans, you can stop sending me the nasty e-mails. I wasn't the one who wrote the rookie rankings last week. With the exception of MVP, this is the closest thing to a lock in the awards voting.

http://espn.go.com/nba/notebook/_/page/Awards-100316/nba-awards-watch

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bombard every media outlet in the country with angry emails demanding Reke be ROY.
Nope. Wrong way to do it. You can send multiple emails to every media outlet in the country, but anger isn't gonna get you squat. Instead, point out the obvious - that Reke is head and shoulders above every other player and that you know a sports writer the caliber of ____________ (fill in his/her name here) will be voting for him. It doesn't hurt to toss in a "Thanks for being such a great reporter. Your view into the NBA is always one of the first things I read." Or words to that effect.

You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. ;)

A rebound and an assist is what prevented Reke from having 3 troubles in a single week. Folks, if Reke pulled that off, the ROY talk would've 100% been wrapped up. I can't imagine any rookie maybe except Big O pulling that off.

+7 pts (+9) = +16 pts
+2 reb (+4) = +6 reb
+30 ast (+6) = +36 ast
+16 (+5) = +21 pts
+6 (+6) = +12 rebs
+36 (+4) = +40 ast

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
A rebound and an assist is what prevented Reke from having 3 troubles in a single week. Folks, if Reke pulled that off, the ROY talk would've 100% been wrapped up. I can't imagine any rookie maybe except Big O pulling that off.

+16 (+5) = +11 pts
+6 (+6) = +12 rebs
+36 (+4) = +40 ast
I think you mean 21 points;)

361pts (24.1pts)
146reb (9.7reb)
116ast (7.7ast)

Ok so far so good :D

My debate with my cousin

My cousin is a laker fan and is cleary saying the stephen curry is better than Tyreke Evans. I told him look stephen Curry is a great player and is having a great season as well. He also said after the laker game vs the warriors that everyone voted for curry for the best 2nd half... then he went on saying that stephen curry is gonna win rookie of they year especially if he would of hit that game winner against the lakers.

So we got in a little argument.. I asked him if hes seen tyreke play.. well of course he hasn't.. so i dont know where im going with this just thought I should share it... We also made a bet to see who gets ROY:D

Sorry I dont think this went into the right forum

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Do you guys think him chasing the 20-5-5 thing has made him a better passer and rebounder? Seems like it might be doing his game some good.

I think its possible -- he doesn't talk about it much, but I think he's been aware of a number of statistical markers this season, and I'm sure somebody in his camp was telling him he needed to pick up the rebounding to get that number. But pick up the rebounding is one thing -- average 10 rebs a game as a PG is quite another.

Last 4 games, Reke averages:

25pts 11reb 9ast
29pts 9reb 11ast
10pts 10reb 4ast
19pts 10reb 10ast
------------------
20.8pts 10.0reb 8.5ast

What exactly is this kid going to be when he grows up?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
My cousin is a laker fan and is cleary saying the stephen curry is better than Tyreke Evans. I told him look stephen Curry is a great player and is having a great season as well. He also said after the laker game vs the warriors that everyone voted for curry for the best 2nd half... then he went on saying that stephen curry is gonna win rookie of they year especially if he would of hit that game winner against the lakers.

So we got in a little argument.. I asked him if hes seen tyreke play.. well of course he hasn't.. so i dont know where im going with this just thought I should share it... We also made a bet to see who gets ROY:D

If he watched tonight's game, there should be no question who's number one.

Bricklayer

Feel free to tell your cousin that's he's an ignorant little female dog, like most Lakers fans, and consider the argument closed until its time for him to pay up. :p

I think its possible -- he doesn't talk about it much, but I think he's been aware of a number of statistical markers this season, and I'm sure somebody in his camp was telling him he needed to pick up the rebounding to get that number. But pick up the rebounding is one thing -- average 10 rebs a game as a PG is quite another.

Last 4 games, Reke averages:

25pts 11reb 9ast
29pts 9reb 11ast
10pts 10reb 4ast
19pts 10reb 10ast
------------------
20.8pts 10.0reb 8.5ast

What exactly is this kid going to be when he grows up?
Christ those are sick numbers, wasn't this guy supposed to hit the rookie wall at some point too?

He's just a player, I don't even know what type of player he's gonna be as for position but he's gonna be great. For a guy who was supposed to be a PG project, he's shown to be able to play the position pretty damn well I can't wait to see that jumper next season then it's gonna be game over for some of these teams:)

More of Kings fans disapproving :p of rookie rankings and NBA.com's newest:

Drew Packham said:
Boy, can my readers write e-mails.

And I mean that in a good, loving, thankful way.

No, really.

After dropping Tyreke Evans from the top spot last week in favor of Stephen Curry, the e-mails hit my inbox with a vengeance. And they just kept coming. I tried to respond to as many as I could, but if I didn't respond to your well-crafted e-mail (and yes, I was very impressed by most of your arguments), just know this: I have two young kids who need my attention. That, and my fingers were sore from trying to justify the move in my replies.

1. Tyreke Evans, Sacramento Kings

Last Week: 2 | Drafted: 4

Evans has a fan in one opponent -- Kobe Bryant. After escaping Sacramento with a 106-99 win Tuesday night, Kobe praised his fellow Philly native, who just missed his second career triple-double but still tallied his fourth straight double-double. "I think Tyreke is a grown man," Bryant said. "I might be a little bit biased because he is from Philadelphia. Philly guys have an all-around game and that's just how it is."

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/03/17/rookie.rankings/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

i think its possible -- he doesn't talk about it much, but i think he's been aware of a number of statistical markers this season, and i'm sure somebody in his camp was telling him he needed to pick up the rebounding to get that number. But pick up the rebounding is one thing -- average 10 rebs a game as a pg is quite another.

Last 4 games, reke averages:

25pts 11reb 9ast
29pts 9reb 11ast
10pts 10reb 4ast
19pts 10reb 10ast
------------------
20.8pts 10.0reb 8.5ast

what exactly is this kid going to be when he grows up?

awsome! :):d

Forget 20-5-5. If Tyrke can get 6-10-10 against the Bucks, he'll average 20-10-10 for the week. That's not just ROY numbers, that kind of statline will get you NBA player of the week honors.

Is is really that important if he gets some arbitrarily chosen rounder number in rebounds and assists? I mean, is stat-mongering really what we're hanging our hats on?