ESPN says front office is lazy

The ESPN article gave this trade example. Do you think it is better than Landry, Dorsey, Hughes + cap space?

"Consider, for starters, what would have been the perfect home for Martin: Boston. The Kings could have sent Martin and little-used Andres Nocioni to the Celtics for Ray Allen and a first-round pick, and cleared $18 million in cap room (the Celtics, given their current time horizon, would have blurted out yes to this offer in a nanosecond).

They then could have used Allen and Kenny Thomas in a deal with the Knicks and walked away with the exact same trove of assets that the Rockets did. If so, Sacramento wouldn't have Landry, but look at what they'd have instead: Jordan Hill, New York's 2012 first-rounder, Boston's 2011 first-rounder, the right to swap picks with New York in 2011 (admittedly, an item of more value to Houston given the two clubs' likely records next season), and the same cap room they cleared with the Martin trade."

I'll take Landry instead. It's not like Boston's 1st rounder would've been that good, Hill hasn't shown he'll ever be as good of player as Landry, and the right to swap picks with NY in 2011 could be worthless to us if we both make the playoffs because they land 2 top tier free agents or we both suck again. So really what it comes down to was another NY pick in 2012, which you can't count on them being bad then because they'll have 2 seasons to land someone in FA. Sure it sounds like a treasure trove of assets until you break it down into something that'd actually help us and you realize it wouldn't help us that much. We need GOOD PLAYERS now, but guys that aren't too old. Landry fits that mold, and he can do a lot offensively because he can post up, drive, shoot, pass, get some offensive boards, etc. He's not a horrible defender either. ESPN is stupid IMO.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Gee whiz! I guess we missed out on Orlando's offer to give us Dwight Howard for Martin? Gosh darnit! :rolleyes:
That trade is nothing compared to the fifteen team trade that would have netted us a line-up of

Paul (Miraculously healthy now)
Wade
LeBron
Bosh
Dwight Howard

with a bench of Evans, Deron Williams, Amare, and Kevn Durant.

Fire Petrie!

I'll take Landry instead. It's not like Boston's 1st rounder would've been that good, Hill hasn't shown he'll ever be as good of player as Landry, and the right to swap picks with NY in 2011 could be worthless to us if we both make the playoffs because they land 2 top tier free agents or we both suck again. So really what it comes down to was another NY pick in 2012, which you can't count on them being bad then because they'll have 2 seasons to land someone in FA. Sure it sounds like a treasure trove of assets until you break it down into something that'd actually help us and you realize it wouldn't help us that much. We need GOOD PLAYERS now, but guys that aren't too old. Landry fits that mold, and he can do a lot offensively because he can post up, drive, shoot, pass, get some offensive boards, etc. He's not a horrible defender either. ESPN is stupid IMO.
Additionally you drop Nocioni's contract in 2012 (jeffries salary next year would have made it a wash). That's arguably the most valuable part of the deal. He's dead weight.

Last edited:
Getting rid of Noc's deal takes us from having a ton of capspace to having even more than a ton of capspace. It would be nice, but I don't think it's going to make so much difference in what we can do that I'm excited about a deal where that difference is most valuable part.

Why are you upset? We all heard the Celtics and Mavs offers and they were not nearly as good as Houston's. If another team really had a better offer, where is it? I promise to get as equally upset as you if I hear about one that was better.

Takes two parties to make a trade. Don't fault Petrie for not putting Martin on eBay and creating a fire sale when he is willing to keep him. Every GM in the league knew that Martin could be had for the right price because every fan here knew the same thing.
Yes.

More like what? Be specific
How about these?

1/11/10 - Acquires Hilton Armstrong from NO for a 2016 2nd-round pick + cash
6/25/09 - Trades the 31st pick in the 2009 draft for Sergio + 38th pick
2/19/09 - Trades Shelden Williams to MN for a 2014 2nd-round pick
2/18/09 - Trades John Salmons & Brad Miller for Ike Diogu, Andres Nocioni, Cedric Simmons, Drew Gooden
2/17/09 - Acquires Sam Cassell from Boston for a 2015 2nd-round pick
8/14/08 - Trades Ron Artest & Sean Singletary for Donte Green, Bobby Jackson, 2009 1st-round pick
2/16/08 - Trades Mike Bibby for Shelden Williams, Lorenzen Wright, Anthony Johnson, Tyronn Lue, 2008 2nd-round pick
2/24/05 - Trades Webber, one of the NBA's elite power forwards and a five-time All-Star + Matt Barnes + Michael Bradley to Philadelphia for Brian Skinner, Kenny Thomas and Corliss Williamson.

2/24/05 - Trades Webber, one of the NBA's elite power forwards and a five-time All-Star + Matt Barnes + Michael Bradley to Philadelphia for Brian Skinner, Kenny Thomas and Corliss Williamson.

This was the worst trade EVER!!!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Jordan Hill and 2 picks!

We did not get alot of value for martin, ESPN has given a reason as to why this possibly occurred. I think there is a chance that there is truth to there statement.
Because Jordan Hill sure is a GREAT player that would've really helped us now and as has been outlined in many prior posts, the Knicks picks may not have been worth much at all

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

This was the worst trade EVER!!!
And this relates to Kevin Martin how?

Jordan Hill and 2 picks!

We did not get alot of value for martin, ESPN has given a reason as to why this possibly occurred. I think there is a chance that there is truth to there statement.
Jordan Hill may be worth an even up trade for Hilton Armstrong. The two picks have some conditions. The 2011 pick is the right to swap and is #1 protected. The Knicks have a lot of money to spend on free agents and it isn't too wild to suspect that swapping that pick in 2011 may actually not be beneficial. So that could be a throw away. The 2012 pick is top 5 protected. So you may actually be aquiring Jordan Hill and middle to late first round pick if the Knicks sign some good free agents. And if the Knicks go into the tank in 2012 and get a 1-5 lottery pick, the Rockets don't get that pick that year.

Why are all of the teams (Lakers, Mavs, Suns, Jazz) that the Kings battled with in the 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 playoffs still in the upper echelon of the NBA? Is it because of bad luck? :rolleyes:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
How about these?

1/11/10 - Acquires Hilton Armstrong from NO for a 2016 2nd-round pick + cashThis is bad because what? Some Div3 guy doesn't get a shot at the NBA?
6/25/09 - Trades the 31st pick in the 2009 draft for Sergio + 38th pickHow is this bad?
2/19/09 - Trades Shelden Williams to MN for a 2014 2nd-round pick and Rashad McCants Sheldon William sure was a major loss for us
2/18/09 - Trades John Salmons & Brad Miller for Ike Diogu, Andres Nocioni, Cedric Simmons, Drew Gooden This was another rebuilding move. Who'd you expect us to get? LeBron? Kobe?
2/17/09 - Acquires Sam Cassell from Boston for a 2015 2nd-round pick Salary relief
8/14/08 - Trades Ron Artest & Sean Singletary for Donte Green, Bobby Jackson, 2009 1st-round pick Gee. We only got two young players with a helluva lot of potential and one of the most revered Kings of all time. In exchange we gave away a walking headache. What a terrible trade.
2/16/08 - Trades Mike Bibby for Shelden Williams, Lorenzen Wright, Anthony Johnson, Tyronn Lue, 2008 2nd-round pick Once again a rebuilding move. Would have liked a draft pick but oh well.

You Forgot quite a few trades but that goes against your agenda so oh well.
2/24/05 - Trades Webber, one of the NBA's elite power forwards and a five-time All-Star + Matt Barnes + Michael Bradley to Philadelphia for Brian Skinner, Kenny Thomas and Corliss Williamson. Talk about beating the proverbial dead horse. Webber was NOT an elite PF at the time of his trade. It's amazing how many people forget how much we all hated Webb in his final days as a King.
I meant as in what more could we have gotten for K-Mart.

Gee whiz! I guess we missed out on Orlando's offer to give us Dwight Howard for Martin? Gosh darnit! :rolleyes:

You should be rolling your eyes at that lame *** joke.

Clearly him telling the entire world over and over again that "Martin is not available" had nothing to do with only 3 teams being interested in him. :rolleyes:

the mavs and celtics wanted him we've already seen the other potential offers all of which were worthless. what do the mavs and celtics have to offer that we want?? you don't think Petrie knows talent around the league and who he wants? are you surprised he told the mavs and celtics he didn't wanna trade Martin? it's obvious nothig was going to happen there. David lee and thabeet were never legitimately available. as usual espn picking on the kings with nonsense. have they ever said anything positive about the kings? other than bill simmons.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Why are all of the teams (Lakers, Mavs, Suns, Jazz) that the Kings battled with in the 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 playoffs still in the upper echelon of the NBA? Is it because of bad luck? :rolleyes:
The Jazz went through a *GASP* rebuilding period. That's right, they too had to draft players and trade for guys to restock their franchise.

The Lakers have benefited from one of the most lopsided trades in NBA history (though Marc Gasol is doing his best to make the trade look reatively worthwhile for the Griz).

The Mavs were a really really young team when we were facing them. And they too will have to face an inevitable rebuilding when their old guys become eligible for Meals on Wheels.

The Suns are good but not quite what they used to be. Once again they are old (at least their All-Star is) so it is debateable how much longer they will be in the hunt, especially if Amar'e leaves in free agency.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
How about these?

2/18/09 - Trades John Salmons & Brad Miller for Ike Diogu, Andres Nocioni, Cedric Simmons, Drew Gooden
8/14/08 - Trades Ron Artest & Sean Singletary for Donte Green, Bobby Jackson, 2009 1st-round pick
2/16/08 - Trades Mike Bibby for Shelden Williams, Lorenzen Wright, Anthony Johnson, Tyronn Lue, 2008 2nd-round pick
If you're going to call trade bad, you definitely have to view the intent of the trade as well as the result. For instance, one might see "2/17/09 - Acquires Sam Cassell from Boston for a 2015 2nd-round pick", note that Cassell never even suited up for the Kings and conclude that it was a bad trade. However, the summary omits that the entire reason the trade was conducted was that Boston was looking for somebody to take on Cassell's contract to help them with their luxury tax payments, and they gave us money to do it. We actually made money by trading a second-round pick (that will almost certainly never be conveyed) and acquiring a player that we instantly cut. It's a tough crowd that thinks that's a bad trade.

Anyway, three trades on your list were trades that gave us a financial advantage with essentially no cost. And the trade in red...that was a good trade. That was a really good trade. Donte Greene and the pick that became Omri Casspi (and a year of old friend Bobby) for Artest and his antics a bad trade?

The other four you list have been argued to death on this site (particularly the "Webber" and the "Brockman") and there is unlikely to be a consensus anytime soon.

How about these?

He wasn't asking you to name more trades. He was asking you to name more assets we could have gotten out of 'hindsight' trades.

im going to reserve judgement on this trade until this july.

but if the Kings made it known they were trying to move Kmart it would only lower his value. same reason why teams freak out when a player publicly demands a trade, especially when the team is already trying to move that player.

I am glad someone in the National media finally said it, our front office is lazy. However their examples are pretty bad. Maybe because I am a Francisco homer but his deal does not seem too out of line, especially if he starts at SG. I also consider the Martin deal a success if it keeps the Kings in Sacramento.

With the atrocity that the Mikki Moore signing or our complete lack of anything out of the 2nd round for years. I love Brockman but his pick could also be a sign of laziness, since we already had Spencer.

I am surprised with Martin deal no one mentioned us trading him to Rick's team. Everyone jumped on McHale for trading Garnett to his old team, but no one mentioned Petrie and Rick's relationship. Not that I really think he could have gotten a better deal it's just interesting how Geoff gets a pass on this.

Because Jordan Hill sure is a GREAT player that would've really helped us now and as has been outlined in many prior posts, the Knicks picks may not have been worth much at all
Discounting the remainder of this season...you think Landry for one more season at 3m plus his bird rights is worth more than 3 years of Hill at 9M, two late #1's and an additional 6.7M in cap space for 2012. Really?

I still think the Landry deal is a solid one. That's not the point. But since the whispers alluded to in the article match up exactly with what I've thought myself; that the FO is not working hard enough to get the best deals out there...shoot, that's just not good.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Discounting the remainder of this season...you think Landry for one more season at 3m plus his bird rights is worth more than 3 years of Hill at 9M, two late #1's and an additional 6.7M in cap space for 2012. Really?

I still think the Landry deal is a solid one. That's not the point. But since the whispers alluded to in the article match up exactly with what I've thought myself; that the FO is not working hard enough to get the best deals out there...shoot, that's just not good.
We'd all like to think that we're smarter and better at managing a basketball team than GMs but we're not. Hindsight is 20/20

I am glad someone in the National media finally said it, our front office is lazy. However their examples are pretty bad. Maybe because I am a Francisco homer but his deal does not seem too out of line, especially if he starts at SG. I also consider the Martin deal a success if it keeps the Kings in Sacramento.

With the atrocity that the Mikki Moore signing or our complete lack of anything out of the 2nd round for years. I love Brockman but his pick could also be a sign of laziness, since we already had Spencer.

I am surprised with Martin deal no one mentioned us trading him to Rick's team. Everyone jumped on McHale for trading Garnett to his old team, but no one mentioned Petrie and Rick's relationship. Not that I really think he could have gotten a better deal it's just interesting how Geoff gets a pass on this.
I like Cisco, I'm glad he's on the team. But we should have offered him half that if we were extending him a year early and not budged. If he didn't like it we could have played the market in his restricted free agent year. Worst case scenario some team offers him the full mid-level, which is almost exactly what we offered, and we could have matched it. Instead the economy went down, teams tightened budgets and we missed an opportunity to get a good player at a bargain because we half-*** negotiated with him ten months before we had to.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
This quote however is interesting, if true. The rest...just speculation. The Kings had the assets to put together a great trade etc. etc. = the same sort of thing we do around here. It looked like it, but it takes two to tango and who knows. You just assume we tried.

But that quote above, that other execs say they didn't know the extent of Kevin's availability...that does speak to an error or weakness in our front office. An error if they did not get the word out, a weakness if geoff's eternal player-centric approach wouldn't allow him to broadcast it for fear of hurting Kevin's feelings or something. In any case it would cast some question upon whether we got the best offer, because it might mean there were teams out there who never even knew they could offer.
You bring up an interesting question. We all know that Petrie holds his cards close to the vest. But the bigger question then is how do you have discussions with other teams about a player, and not have it become known. I'm sure that a lot of the GM's are honorable men that would keep a secret. But we also know that there are leaks in most organizations. So I find it hard to believe that Petrie could have had significant discussions around the league about Martin without it becoming known. And since it didn't become known, then I'm inclined to believe that he didn't have those discussions. Which would mean that maybe, just maybe, we didn't get the best deal we could have gotten.

Let me just say this. I have defended Petrie on many occasions. But if I were to find out that he wanted to make sure that Martin went somewhere he would be happy ( Adelman ), at the expense of passing on better deals, then I'm done with him. I don't know that to be the case, and I'll probably never find out even if it were the case. I just hope thats not the case.