Kevin martin traded to rockets

Status
Not open for further replies.
We didn't want Jeffries gross contract (rightly so, with Noce and Beno on board).
I should have been more clear..I was talking about the Rockets deal. We give up a good player in Kevin and we don't even get a pick.

It's a shame no one wanted either Noc or Beno.

Here's a list of what will come off the books, either now, by trade or at the end of the season.

K. Thomas: $8,801,198.00
Armstrong: $2,801,198.00
Sergio: $1,892,035.00
Hughes: $13,655,268.00
May: $825,497.00
Udoka: $902,693.00

That adds up to a grand total of $28,851,691.00. Thats not chump change. So we ended up trading Martin for Landry, who is a very good player and Dorsey who possibly has potential and a ton of cap space. Houston ended up gaining a first round pick in 2012. Big deal! If New York is sucessful in what they want to do, that pick could be down around 24 or 25. Plus they had to take Jefferies salary. I'd rather have the cap space this offseason than a pick in 2012 for some unknown player picking from an unkown spot.

This is a very good trade for the Kings. Not to mention that the roster is more balanced now. Yeah, I know Hughes is a SG, but his stay in Sac will be a short one.
We just have different expirings than before, The only increase in cap space is the difference in Kevin's 10 mil and the 3.8 mil for the two PF we get.

The problem is we didnt get to use any expirings to trade into any new talent, picks, or young players with potential

So we trade a 23 pt starter for 16 pt bench player - less talent overall

We dont get any new picks

We dont trade any mid level contracts (Beno, Noc, Garcia)

Rockets get two draft picks, and Jordan Hill we get talent bleed

So all we got is cap space, time to go shopping geoff

Did not improve talent level with trade, no new picks, no expirings traded for anything - sorry sounds like we got hosed by Houston and NY, and Tmacs agent

piksi

Hall of Famer
So we trade a 23 pt starter for 16 pt bench player - less talent overallTmacs agent
doesn't work that way and you know it

We dont get any new picks
that is true

We dont trade any mid level contracts (Beno, Noc, Garcia)
to be fair - 2 out of 3 guys we gave those contracts

Rockets get two draft picks, and Jordan Hill we get talent bleed
rockets didn't get much either

you mean Maloofs

The difference is that we have several guys who can fill that role of perimeter scoring, but we did not have an inside scorer that can consistently draw doubles and finish.
Exactly. Scorers like Martin are a dime a dozen. I know some martin fans and soccer moms think he has a cute little smile but that has nothing to do with what we need on the court.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
But that capspace is the big key -- I have mentioned before that in any Kevin for expirings type deal you aren't trading him for the expiring guy, you are trading him for whoever you can sign with his cap money this summer. And in this case we got Landry too. So the trade basically is:

Kevin Martin

for

Carl Landry
big $$ player to be named later

The identity of the big $$ player to be named later will determine whether this one is a winner or not, but with Landry already there you can see how it certainly could be.

Exactly. Scorers like Martin are a dime a dozen. I know some martin fans and soccer moms think he has a cute little smile but that has nothing to do with what we need on the court.
This was one of the things I found so annoying. Not everyone who likes Martin as a player is a Soccer Mom. I'm no Soccer Mom.

Hopefully, we can move on now that he's gone and respect each other's opinions without the need to label people with things like "Soccer Mom" to put down an opinion you just don't happen to agree with.

I'm sad to see Martin go because I felt he was an all-star quality player. I'm also now starting to be concerned that Tyreke Evans is turning into Allen Iverson where nobody can play with him.

Hopefully, I'm very wrong about that.

This was one of the things I found so annoying. Not everyone who likes Martin as a player is a Soccer Mom. I'm no Soccer Mom.

Hopefully, we can move on now that he's gone and respect each other's opinions without the need to label people with things like "Soccer Mom" to put down an opinion you just don't happen to agree with.

I'm sad to see Martin go because I felt he was an all-star quality player. I'm also now starting to be concerned that Tyreke Evans is turning into Allen Iverson where nobody can play with him.

Hopefully, I'm very wrong about that.
Well lets see here, Greene and Casspi sure can play with him. They both have had some outstanding games together. Just because Martin couldn't play with Tyreke doesn't mean that no one else can.

Tyreke and Greene have shown glimpses of being an excellent pairing because their styles complement one another. Now if we manage to get a PF or C that can fit in with these 2, then we will be set.

Martin was just a bad fit with Tyreke and should fit perfectly in Houston with Yao. Its not a matter of no one being able to play with Reke, its about the right fit. Two high scoring guards in the same backcourt, where both need the ball to be effective has NEVER been a good fit and never will be.

Well lets see here, Greene and Casspi sure can play with him. They both have had some outstanding games together. Just because Martin couldn't play with Tyreke doesn't mean that no one else can.

Tyreke and Greene have shown glimpses of being an excellent pairing because their styles complement one another. Now if we manage to get a PF or C that can fit in with these 2, then we will be set.

Martin was just a bad fit with Tyreke and should fit perfectly in Houston with Yao. Its not a matter of no one being able to play with Reke, its about the right fit. Two high scoring guards in the same backcourt, where both need the ball to be effective has NEVER been a good fit and never will be.
I hope you're right. They always said the same thing about AI. And their playing styles are very similar, they need the ball in their hands. They pass second or only when they can't get their own shot. The style works to showcase an incredible talent (like AI had) but it doesn't really work for a team.

And seriously, I hope I'm proven wrong because I like Tyreke and would love to see him bring us a championship, finally.

But that capspace is the big key -- I have mentioned before that in any Kevin for expirings type deal you aren't trading him for the expiring guy, you are trading him for whoever you can sign with his cap money this summer. And in this case we got Landry too. So the trade basically is:

Kevin Martin for Carl Landry
big $$ player to be named later

The identity of the big $$ player to be named later will determine whether this one is a winner or not, but with Landry already there you can see how it certainly could be.
Your right, its too early to tell, If we do get a big $$ player and the 7 mil cap space made the difference, then yes its a winner

I guess Im just frustrated we could not turn some of our expirings into young players or picks. We have been talking so long about how our expirings are great bargaining chips to trade with and we really didnt use them at all by the deadline. When we were getting McGrady was really hoping for a big talent or serious picks since I thought Mc Gradys expiring had great value. I thought the plan was to use expirings to aquire talent before the deadline, not build up more cap space to be a player in free agency. But now we just drop people and $$ at end of the season and buy new players? Will hope for the best.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Note: I've closed the thread for the simple reason it seems to be turning into a catch-all discussion that is really tough to follow. We've got new threads for our new players, thank you's for the departing guys, etc. so I think we can close this thread much like we close the chapter of Kevin Martin as a Sacramento King.

Status
Not open for further replies.