Countdown to Feb 19th

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Since somebody brought up Bonzi, it might be a good time to remind everybody that the Kings offered him a 5 year 38.5 million dollar contract after that playoff run. Most focus on the fact that Bonzi was a moron for not taking it. However, it was equally dumb to offer that kind of money to an old shooting guard with weight and attitude issues. Bonzi has been retired for a year. He even quit China. Right now, we would be in the middle of year four … shudders.

Good thing it’s time to trade, because the book on Petrie is – great at picking and trading … not so much at deciding what to pay people.

Say what you want about the proposed weight clauses in the contract – the Bonzi offer was on par with any of Petrie’s bad contracts.

As they say, hindsight is 100%. I don't think that there's anyone on this fourm that didn't want Petrie to resign Bonzi. Actually he took heat for not getting a deal done. Bonzi was only 29 years old at the time, so it wasn't like he was signing someone that was 35 years old. The only reservations I had at the time were that Bonzi had a history of being a head case at times and had been somewhat injury prone.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
?).
Kingsguy881 said:
I'm pretty tired of hearing people say that we need to make a trade and yet they can't even name somebody to get in a trade (and don't say Dalembert or Okafor, those type of inconsistent caliber players can be found through the draft)
Whoa, slow down a little bit. Yeah, I'm going to name Dalembert and Okafor. And yes, since they were drafted, they can be found in the draft. Somewhat of a redundit statement. But they both do have unique talents that aren't found in the draft everyday. In this world of sandlot basketball where there aren't enough balls to go around, I think Okafor is someone worth aquiring. His first year in the NBA he averaged 15 points and just slightly under 11 rebounds and 2 blocks a game. And he has consistantly repeated that almost every year. So I just don't see how you can call him inconsistant. He's also an unselfish player, which is hard to find these days. And while I'll admit that he's no Bosh or Stoudemire, he would be a welcome addition to our team with our need for defense.

I will give you that Dalembert has been inconsistant throughout his career. But despite that he's still put up pretty consistant defensive numbers that are hard to find. Start naming all the great defensive centers in the league right now that put up better defensive numbers than Dalembert. He would be the risky choice of the two, but the one with the shortest contract. I don't know that Okafor is really up for grabs, but Dalembert is rumored to be on the market. So the question is the price. If the price is right then I would do a deal for him. If not, then move on or do nothing.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
As they say, hindsight is 100%. I don't think that there's anyone on this fourm that didn't want Petrie to resign Bonzi. Actually he took heat for not getting a deal done. Bonzi was only 29 years old at the time, so it wasn't like he was signing someone that was 35 years old. The only reservations I had at the time were that Bonzi had a history of being a head case at times and had been somewhat injury prone.
Oh no -- back at that time there were all kinds of people around here who did not want Bonzi resigned. Quite the debate really. (Note I was not one of them.) There was kind of an unholy alliance of Martin partisans, people who had never really forgiven Bonzi for being Bonzi beofre he showed up, "contract year push" advocates, people still in love with the old Princeton style and unable to enjoy anything else, rebuilding advocates etc.. Many many constituencies, each with their own reasons, and each with their own interpretation of how it played out -- the events surrounding that decision have been so consistently mstaken and distorted I think somewhere along the way the truth got taken out into a field somewhere and shot.

As per Sam Amicks twitter:

Kings are looking at a Sergio Rodriguez deal with Memphis, most likely for a trade exception.

Would save them his expiring salary the rest of the year and Sergio would certainly be happier. New York and New Jersey have also inquired.

wow....

Last edited:

Kings are looking at a Sergio Rodriguez deal with Memphis, most likely for a trade exception.

Would save them his expiring salary the rest of the year and Sergio would certainly be happier. New York and New Jersey have also inquired.

wow....
sergio to NY for jordan hill please.

wow....
Lord knows what Geoff is doing right now...oh to be a fly right now.

K

Kingsguy881

?).

Whoa, slow down a little bit. Yeah, I'm going to name Dalembert and Okafor. And yes, since they were drafted, they can be found in the draft. Somewhat of a redundit statement. But they both do have unique talents that aren't found in the draft everyday. In this world of sandlot basketball where there aren't enough balls to go around, I think Okafor is someone worth aquiring. His first year in the NBA he averaged 15 points and just slightly under 11 rebounds and 2 blocks a game. And he has consistantly repeated that almost every year. So I just don't see how you can call him inconsistant. He's also an unselfish player, which is hard to find these days. And while I'll admit that he's no Bosh or Stoudemire, he would be a welcome addition to our team with our need for defense.

I will give you that Dalembert has been inconsistant throughout his career. But despite that he's still put up pretty consistant defensive numbers that are hard to find. Start naming all the great defensive centers in the league right now that put up better defensive numbers than Dalembert. He would be the risky choice of the two, but the one with the shortest contract. I don't know that Okafor is really up for grabs, but Dalembert is rumored to be on the market. So the question is the price. If the price is right then I would do a deal for him. If not, then move on or do nothing.
My bad, I get a little carried away sometimes. It's just frustrating to hear the same trash being spewed from mulitple directions. How many people are registered at kf.com? Cuz thats how many gm's we have, and they are all right and GP is all wrong.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I think everyone forgot that Bonzi played like Dejuan Blair in the Rookie All-Star Game for much of the season he was with us.

My bad, I get a little carried away sometimes. It's just frustrating to hear the same trash being spewed from mulitple directions. How many people are registered at kf.com? Cuz thats how many gm's we have, and they are all right and GP is all wrong.
There is a lot of truth in that statement. You can never please everyone all the time, right? I'm amazed at how little patience some fans on here have. It takes time to rebuild, and the roster we have now will not be the roster we head into our next training camp with. Some here don't want to wait that long, eventhough in reality this rebuilding proccess is years from being complete.

In general, I hate the way some on here think Geoff can't do anything right, and they are already calling for his head when there obviously will be moves made either by the deadline, the draft, or this coming offseason. I'm very interested to see what Geoff will do with this roster over the next 6 months.

There is a lot of truth in that statement. You can never please everyone all the time, right? I'm amazed at how little patience some fans on here have. It takes time to rebuild, and the roster we have now will not be the roster we head into our next training camp with. Some here don't want to wait that long, eventhough in reality this rebuilding proccess is years from being complete.

In general, I hate the way some on here think Geoff can't do anything right, and they are already calling for his head when there obviously will be moves made either by the deadline, the draft, or this coming offseason. I'm very interested to see what Geoff will do with this roster over the next 6 months.
How little patience some fans have!!! Based on your suggested timeline, this could be a 8-10 year rebuild (to even sniff the playoffs let alone be contenders). That's a lack of patience? Wow.

K

Kingsguy881

I'm 30 years old with 2 very young kids. I have been a Kings fan since I was 5. I have patience. I know what it looks like for my team to have 7+ seasons of sub-30 win seasons. From the looks of this current rebuild, we aren't going to get to 7+ seasons of sub-30 wins. We probably won't even make it to half of 7. But the lack of patience is astounding. I have at least 40 more years of my life to cheer for the Kings of Sacramento (provided we can keep the team of course). Before I die I know my team will win a championship. I'm patient.

How little patience some fans have!!! Based on your suggested timeline, this could be a 8-10 year rebuild (to even sniff the playoffs let alone be contenders). That's a lack of patience? Wow.
An 8-10 year rebuild to sniff the playoffs? That's being more than patient; that's accepting that the team has no idea how to rebuild.

I'm nervous because there is NOTHING about the Kings making any significant moves before the deadline. I haven't heard a peep more than small little blurbs about small deals to be made. It's maddening. There is clearly a logjam that is only going to get bigger and frustrate players and yet GP seems to be sitting on his hands around the deadline... Again...

K

Kingsguy881

Well, yeah, lack of patience. How long did the Kings go from when they first got to Sac until they were in the playoffs again? And how long did they go until they were contenders? THERE is your lack of patience.

You're thinking of the Golden State Warriors with the 8-10 year rebuild that keeps getting scrapped and re-started. Remember, the real rebuilding here in Sacramento started in the middle of last year, which, in my mind says that we're 1 year into genuine rebuilding at this point. I can wait 2-3 more years to have a legitimate contender rather than go 1 year and be a perennial 8th seed.

Well, yeah, lack of patience. How long did the Kings go from when they first got to Sac until they were in the playoffs again? And how long did they go until they were contenders? THERE is your lack of patience.
So we're measuring Geoff's recent success as GM based on the absolute basketball debacle that existed here in the 80s? Wow, I wish my job was evaluated based on a person that did it horribly 20 years before.

You're thinking of the Golden State Warriors with the 8-10 year rebuild that keeps getting scrapped and re-started. Remember, the real rebuilding here in Sacramento started in the middle of last year, which, in my mind says that we're 1 year into genuine rebuilding at this point. I can wait 2-3 more years to have a legitimate contender rather than go 1 year and be a perennial 8th seed.
So we're excusing Geoff from Gm responsibility for the 3-4 years prior when he refused to admit the window was closed and thought he could force mid-level signings through the glass to open it?

And I agree that the end game should be contending which takes more time (potentially) than the quick fix. I just don't see a lot of signs that suggest either path is being as aggressively pushed as possible.

K

Kingsguy881

So we're measuring Geoff's recent success as GM based on the absolute basketball debacle that existed here in the 80s? Wow, I wish my job was evaluated based on a person that did it horribly 20 years before.
Yup, because that is what I am a fan of.

K

Kingsguy881

So we're excusing Geoff from Gm responsibility for the 3-4 years prior when he refused to admit the window was closed and thought he could force mid-level signings through the glass to open it?

And I agree that the end game should be contending which takes more time (potentially) than the quick fix. I just don't see a lot of signs that suggest either path is being as aggressively pushed as possible.
Look at the Kings record. It was 2 years removed from a 50 win season, still in the 30 win range. That is playoffs in the East. So yeah, GP probly thought he could plug a couple holes while waiting for a big trade/FA signing to put us back on top. The problem was the parading carousel of imbecile coaches who came thorugh here.,,,

I have made no comment on Geoff's success or failure as a GM in this thread, and its not what I want to talk about now. Those 3-4 years as the team slipped down from contender to fringe playoff team were their own animal.

The point I'm making is that the legitimate rebuild didn't really start until Artest, Bibby, Salmons, and Miller were all traded away for cap space, prospects and a pick. Most of that happened last year, so we've been 'rebuilding' for one year. Real rebuilding takes more than one year, so I'm content to wait and see how our new talent develops out and how next years draft pick fits in. I'm going to be happy watching Tyreke grow into a superstar, Donte turn into a stopper, and to see development on the frontline. If in a couple of years its obviously not working, then I'm all for the agressive "trade anyone" mentality that some are throwing around today. I certainly don't share that mentality now.

I have made no comment on Geoff's success or failure as a GM in this thread, and its not what I want to talk about now. Those 3-4 years as the team slipped down from contender to fringe playoff team were their own animal.

The point I'm making is that the legitimate rebuild didn't really start until Artest, Bibby, Salmons, and Miller were all traded away for cap space, prospects and a pick. Most of that happened last year, so we've been 'rebuilding' for one year. Real rebuilding takes more than one year, so I'm content to wait and see how our new talent develops out and how next years draft pick fits in. I'm going to be happy watching Tyreke grow into a superstar, Donte turn into a stopper, and to see development on the frontline. If in a couple of years its obviously not working, then I'm all for the agressive "trade anyone" mentality that some are throwing around today. I certainly don't share that mentality now.
I get your point. I just think pretending that Geoff waiting too long to start the rebuild, selling low on guys that should have/could have fetched more and then continuing to sign mid-level guys while resigning our own guys to bigger deals than warranted is a strange "pass". Basically, if he hadn't done those things, we probably wouldn't be in this place.

Only focusing on the one year that he drafted well AND made A trade for young talent (Casspi and Greene) is not enough to convince me he's doing a good job.