Votes: 64 70.3%
  • Thompson

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Udrih

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not an example of exemplary defense, but any true hooper knows that once you stop the ball, if the person with the ball's defender is in the vicinity you switch off to find your man. Casspi was in position, but he didn't step out to take Ginobli. Ergo, open lane. Evans stopped the ball, Casspi was supposed to step out and take Ginobli and Evans was to find his assignment which at that point had been switched over to Parker.
fair enough. I still think he should have stayed in front of Manu driving. I don't see why you'd want to switch while manus on a fast break.

Oh, and watch it again. Making meta points about this play is stupid, but I think you won't be impressed with rekes defense here.

All that said, the new guy is having a hall of fame 1st year. I'm surprised more people aren't surprised. I'd be thrilled if he had these numbers and was impacting the game this way in his 3rd season.

Last edited:
Fast break, Tyreke getting back, out of position when Casspi WAS in position and already back. Who should take the ball? The person out of position who is just getting back or the person already back and in position? See, good defense is predicated on guys making the right decision. Tyreke made the right decision in letting the man who was in position to defend Manu take him, Casspi made the wrong decision to leave the basket unguarded. In baskebtall, on defense, you guard the hoop. In soccer, on defense, the goalie guards the net. In hockey, on defense, the goalie guards the net. Casspi was in position, like a goalie, to guard the hoop, and he went away from that.

A good coach will tell you to stay between the ball and the basket. Tyreke was getting back on their fast break and therefore was not between the ball and the basket, yet Casspi was. Which means it's his JOB to stop the man with the ball, not the person who is out of position. If you want to make it even more of an opportunity, Evans and Casspi could have doubled Manu in the corner to try and force a turnover. Casspi had the baseline covered, Tyreke had the sideline covered.
I just watched it again. Casspi got back and was right in front of the basket while Manu went back out to the 3 point line. Casspi stopped the ball not Evans who was trailing. Evans ran to Manu and was there. I don't know what he was thinking because he stopped next to Manu like he was expecting a pick and roll and not between the ball and the basket. Omri turned his head to find his man and then Manu just ran to the hoop. They both missed the play. Evans should have got infront of Manu not on his side and Omri should have have been watching the ball till Evans was in position.

K

Kingsguy881

I just watched it again. Casspi got back and was right in front of the basket while Manu went back out to the 3 point line. Casspi stopped the ball not Evans who was trailing. Evans ran to Manu and was there. I don't know what he was thinking because he stopped next to Manu like he was expecting a pick and roll and not between the ball and the basket. Omri turned his head to find his man and then Manu just ran to the hoop. They both missed the play. Evans should have got infront of Manu not on his side and Omri should have have been watching the ball till Evans was in position.
Maybe Evans was expecting Omri to come out and double in the corner. It would have forced Manu's hand and maybe resulted in a turnover. Who knows what Evans was thinking. The bottom line is that Casspi was the reason Manu was afraid to go to the basket and once Manu caught Casspi unaware and out of position he went right to the hoop. Manu faked them both out. Reke is at fault in this, no doubt. But Casspi was what was keeping Manu out of the paint and once he took his concentration off the ball Manu scored.

Whatever, I'm done proving this point. As NME said, it's been dissected to death. The bottom line in the point I wanted to prove is that Evans is a very good defender and he is not foul prone. We are lucky as hell to have him guarding the perimeter, not to mention what he does on the other end of the court.

This discussion however long it will be is worth it's entire length. Thank you guys. I learned a lot of different perspective of what should/could have actually transpired regarding that specific play.

Very informative and worth reading.

Its called communication. Both failed to do it. Both failed to stop Manu. SMH.
Not sure what SMH stands for (and urban dictionary is blocked) but I'm fairly certain I got the gist of it.

This isn't about assigning blame, when you're defending a 4 on 3 break and two of your opponents are Ginobily and Parker, and you're a bunch of barely legals, you're going to give up points.

But I do like disecting plays this way, and I tend to learn something whenever I engage in such a discussion.

Lol its not in there because it isn't any kind of street lingo. It means Shakes My Head. The comment I made wasn't aimed at you or anyone for that matter.

Look at it like this. It's two rookies trying to defend the break against Parker and Ginobili, two seasoned all-star vets with THREE RINGS under their names. This is Evans and Casspi's first year playing together! It seemed to me that the communication between Evans and Casspi wasn't there. If I remember in my basketball playing days you call out the man your going to defend on a fastbreak or we either jump into Zone D. But the whole team seemed lost on that fastbreak, so I blame all 5 players involved in that play.

Those are just my 2 cents involving the bad D displayed on this fastbreak.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I doubt that anyone on our team can guard Parker one on one. Thats not a knock on our team. Its just that Parker is a tough guard for anyone in the league. He has to be one of the quickest, if not the quickest player in the league. Besides being quick, he's also crafty. Something that comes with experience. Look what Nash did against us in the last quarter of that game. Nash certainly isn't the quickest guy in the league anymore. But he's as crafty as they come.

The good news was that at the end of the game, we had Evans, a rookie, Casspi, a rookie, Thompson, a second year player, Greene, a second year player and Hawes a third year, 21 year old player, giving the Spurs all they could handle. Experience won out. This time! But time is on our side.
I haven't seen anyone in the NBA able to guard Parker. When Parker and CP3 go at it they both can't guard each other. The only way you guard Parker is through team defense. You really need bigs who are long, but also quick who can make up ground fast from the weak side.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I haven't seen anyone in the NBA able to guard Parker. When Parker and CP3 go at it they both can't guard each other. The only way you guard Parker is through team defense. You really need bigs who are long, but also quick who can make up ground fast from the weak side.
I agree! By the way. This discussion on whose fault it was on one play is going a little overboard. All I know is that when a player goes unimpeaded to the basket, someone made a mistake. Personally, I don't care who, unless it becomes obvious that one particular player is the constant culprit. I don't think that can be said about either Evans or Casspi. One, or both of them made a mistake. It happens sometimes. I doubt were going to fire, bench, fine, or shoot either one of them. So can we move on.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If you think about it, any time an opponent is able to successfully get to the basket and score, someone on our team has made a "mistake". And, all things considered, we need some of those mistakes. I'd hate to see basketball games end up with scores of 1-0.

;)

Seems like Casspi and Evans gonna lead the kings in the future.. i love the fast game of Casspi at the N.B.A, he changed his game and hes great...
Evans is great either, i donnu y he reminds me L.J but we will see..

go Kings. :)

Seems like Casspi and Evans gonna lead the kings in the future.. i love the fast game of Casspi at the N.B.A, he changed his game and hes great...
Evans is great either, i donnu y he reminds me L.J but we will see..

go Kings. :)
I hope by reminds you mean in some other aspect that isn't actually their ability. Maybe mental toughness or competitiveness or something. But Omri > Lebron in maturity. Most of the league does. With the exception of Noah and a few others

Status
Not open for further replies.