2009-10 Kings draft position thread

Now that we're far enough into the season for there to be a bottom 1/8 of the NBA, and now that we're in it, it seemed like a suitable time to start this thread. I don't expect to be updating it very often myself, so feel free to chip in.

Current ranking for picks 1-9

1-4. Sacramento, LAC, NYK, NJN 0-3 .000
5-6. GSW, Indiana 0-2 .000
7-9. Detroit, Charlotte, Portland 1-2 .333

The top teams will be changing a lot in the next month, as the real contenders prove by their consistency how deserving they are. Some point in November is likely to be our lowest ebb in the draft rankings for the year, since it's definitely the easiest month of our schedule. After that, our worthiness in the John Wall sweepstakes may rarely be tested.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Now that we're far enough into the season for there to be a bottom 1/8 of the NBA, and now that we're in it, it seemed like a suitable time to start this thread. I don't expect to be updating it very often myself, so feel free to chip in.

Current ranking for picks 1-9

1-4. Sacramento, LAC, NYK, NJN 0-3 .000
5-6. GSW, Indiana 0-2 .000
7-9. Detroit, Charlotte, Portland 1-2 .333

The top teams will be changing a lot in the next month, as the real contenders prove by their consistency how deserving they are. Some point in November is likely to be our lowest ebb in the draft rankings for the year, since it's definitely the easiest month of our schedule. After that, our worthiness in the John Wall sweepstakes may rarely be tested.
My gut tells me that Portland will not be in the lottery. Nor will Detroit. Especially in the eastern divison. But I understand that your going on the current stats. A little early for me, but what the hell, why not...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We haven't even played at home yet. This is just ... well, one thread I know I won't have to worry about keeping up with.

;)

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Yeah, way too early for this thread. But assuming we find ourselves in The Land Of Many Ping Pong Balls, I'm not sure that Wall is the best possible pick for us. If it turns out that Tyreke is in fact most effective with the ball in his hands and can adequately assume the role of PG in our offense, Wall could be difficult to integrate into our backcourt.

And while I believe that an Evans/Martin/Pick-Your-Poison-Backup backcourt could be enough to get us back into contention in a few years if Evans turns out to be All-Star quality, I don't believe that a Hawes/Thompson frontcourt is going to be enough. I like those guys, and I really hope they reach their full potential, but I don't think their full potential will be enough and I think adding a possible All-Star talent there may be the wiser move.

This is all dependent on John Wall not being clearly the best player available when we pick, of course, but one guy that looks to have the stuff in the frontcourt is Derrick Favors. Pretty obvious one-and-done kid going to Georgia Tech, variously listed at 6'9" or 6'10", with a body-type/athleticism/strength that could turn out to be in the Chris Webber range (meaning he's not going to be Dwight Howard, but it doesn't look like he's going to get pushed around down there). Did just about everything in high school - big rebounder, big shot blocker, big scorer with a mid-range jump shot and reliable post game, and reports seem to peg him as a kid with a pretty solid head on his shoulders. If after one year of college he and Wall are toss-ups going into the draft, I'd prefer Favors.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Yeah, way too early for this thread. But assuming we find ourselves in The Land Of Many Ping Pong Balls, I'm not sure that Wall is the best possible pick for us. If it turns out that Tyreke is in fact most effective with the ball in his hands and can adequately assume the role of PG in our offense, Wall could be difficult to integrate into our backcourt.

And while I believe that an Evans/Martin/Pick-Your-Poison-Backup backcourt could be enough to get us back into contention in a few years if Evans turns out to be All-Star quality, I don't believe that a Hawes/Thompson frontcourt is going to be enough. I like those guys, and I really hope they reach their full potential, but I don't think their full potential will be enough and I think adding a possible All-Star talent there may be the wiser move.

This is all dependent on John Wall not being clearly the best player available when we pick, of course, but one guy that looks to have the stuff in the frontcourt is Derrick Favors. Pretty obvious one-and-done kid going to Georgia Tech, variously listed at 6'9" or 6'10", with a body-type/athleticism/strength that could turn out to be in the Chris Webber range (meaning he's not going to be Dwight Howard, but it doesn't look like he's going to get pushed around down there). Did just about everything in high school - big rebounder, big shot blocker, big scorer with a mid-range jump shot and reliable post game, and reports seem to peg him as a kid with a pretty solid head on his shoulders. If after one year of college he and Wall are toss-ups going into the draft, I'd prefer Favors.
He's certainly on my list of whom I'm going to watch this season. But until I actually see some of these guys play I'll withhold judgement. There's always someone that rises up the board as the season goes on. I do agree with your premise though. I would lean toward a big man, if one of them proves worthy of being picked that high. So along with Favors, who I wish had gone to school somewhere other than Georgia Tech, a school that in my opinion doesn't do a good job developing bigs, I would add Alabi out of Flordia St., Jordan out of Tulsa, Pittman out of Texas, Monroe out of Georgetown, and Aldrich out of Kansas.

If someone can light a fire under DeMarcus Cousins, he might be someone the ends up in the lottery. There's also Craig Brackens out of Iowa St. There are guys that don't get a lot of press that are worth watching like Michael Washington out of Arkansas or Larry Sanders out of VCU. Ahhh, so many players and so little time..

Evan Turner, I think he can be a great fit for us. Good athlete, smart player, good mid range game, good passer, and can really defend.

Yes, it is really early to start this thread, but it's good to have a reminder handy that, even when we're getting swept, there's something positive about it.

I agree with Favors as a possible alternative to Wall, even if Evans bombs as a PG. Both needs (PG, defensive big) can make or break a team, and there's no reason why one MUST take priority over the other. We'll have a better idea of how things sit as the college season progresses.

But Monroe scares the crap out of me. He shoots 3s, passes the ball well, shies away from contact, isn't terribly athletic, and rebounds badly. He is the ultimate Geoff pick, on a team that is dying of an excessively Geoff roster.

If we must get him, we should trade Hawes for that pick. Seriously.

If it's a toss between Favors and Wall and tyreke is doing a decent enough job. I would go with Favors.... PG's are much easier to find then big men.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Yes, it is really early to start this thread, but it's good to have a reminder handy that, even when we're getting swept, there's something positive about it.

I agree with Favors as a possible alternative to Wall, even if Evans bombs as a PG. Both needs (PG, defensive big) can make or break a team, and there's no reason why one MUST take priority over the other. We'll have a better idea of how things sit as the college season progresses.

But Monroe scares the crap out of me. He shoots 3s, passes the ball well, shies away from contact, isn't terribly athletic, and rebounds badly. He is the ultimate Geoff pick, on a team that is dying of an excessively Geoff roster.

If we must get him, we should trade Hawes for that pick. Seriously.
I share you concerns about Monroe, but I want to give him this year and see if his game improves. Personally I would lean toward someone that contasts with Hawes, like Alabi or perhaps Aldrich, just to throw a couple of names out there. I know Aldrich has been labeled as just another big white soft center by a lot of arm chair GM's, but he's a good athlete with decent skills and he's not afraid to bang in the paint.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Evan Turner, I think he can be a great fit for us. Good athlete, smart player, good mid range game, good passer, and can really defend.
While I like Turner, Petrie would probably be lynched by the fans if he drafts another 6'6" multiposition player. The Kings need size up front. I'm not saying that they have to get it through the draft, but if its there, why not?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

If Wall turns out to be what he's supposed to be it doesn't matter -- you take him. You never, ever turn down a superstar if he's there, and a Wall/Evans backcourt, if both players were what they were supposed to be, would be completely physically dominant. Would mean the end of Kevin's tenure, but that helps too -- valuable trade piece.

We'll have to see where Favors falls out -- bigs are tough to read in high school because they're just bigger than everybody else (and of course another question is that Favors isn't THAT big -- not like Oden where you say "NBA big" from age 12. 6'9" 215 is pretty borderline + will need to bulk up). But in any case if you are in a position to draft Wall you are talking about drafting #1 most likely, and you don't draft for position with #1, you draft for stardom. If Favors looks like a superstar too, then fine. You can choose him. But if he looks like anything else you take the stud PG and make it work. There is simply no way Reke is going to be such a pure PG that shifitng him to SG will be that inconceivable. Drafting Joe Smith when you could have had Gary Payton would be devastating.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
If Wall turns out to be what he's supposed to be it doesn't matter -- you take him. You never, ever turn down a superstar if he's there, and a Wall/Evans backcourt, if both players were what they were supposed to be, would be completely physically dominant. Would mean the end of Kevin's tenure, but that helps too -- valuable trade piece.

We'll have to see where Favors falls out -- bigs are tough to read in high school because they're just bigger than everybody else (and of course another question is that Favors isn't THAT big -- not like Oden where you say "NBA big" from age 12. 6'9" 215 is pretty borderline + will need to bulk up). But in any case if you are in a position to draft Wall you are talking about drafting #1 most likely, and you don't draft for position with #1, you draft for stardom. If Favors looks like a superstar too, then fine. You can choose him. But if he looks like anything else you take the stud PG and make it work. There is simply no way Reke is going to be such a pure PG that shifitng him to SG will be that inconceivable. Drafting Joe Smith when you could have had Gary Payton would be devastating.
We're actually in agreement here. I did say (in my third paragraph, so a bit belatedly) that if Wall is the clearly better player you take him. I'm just not yet convinced that is the case, and there's a year of high-profile college basketball games to make that decision.

As far as Favors' size goes, he's 6'9" 215 at DraftExpress but 6'9" 246 at NBADraft.net. I like DX better for draft projections, but in the YouTube stuff I've seen he looks bigger than 215 to me. Usual caveat of going against high school kids so it's hard to judge, but I thnk DX's measurements for Favors might be a year old.

If we somehow ended up with the #1 overall pick, just take Wall and look to trade Martin. At that point, depending on where it lands, the Jazz's NY pick might be the ticket (if the Jazz are willing to part with it). Grab Wall and one of Davis, Aldrich, or Favors, and you have yourself the back court and front court pretty much figured out (all of those guys play defense and block shots, stay far, far away from Motiejunas).

Kingster

Hall of Famer

You're making the incorrect inference that not being a pure point guard means he will make a good SG. He was mediocre at the SG in college. At the point he was fantastic. If you think that dynamic is going to change in the NBA, well, it's possible, but highly improbable in my book.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Way too early for this thread. Even if we get the most ping-pong balls, we have only a 25% chance at the #1 pick, and that didn't go too well last year.

While I like Turner, Petrie would probably be lynched by the fans if he drafts another 6'6" multiposition player. The Kings need size up front. I'm not saying that they have to get it through the draft, but if its there, why not?
Yeah, if we have a shot at a good big we should take it, but I think Turner is going to be a Brandon Roy like surprise and I think we should go after him even if it means through a trade.

This is the Kings we are talking about... we are not getting the No 1. pick so forget about it. Derrick Favors or Ed Davis is my pick hopefully we can land a top 3 this year.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
This is the Kings we are talking about... we are not getting the No 1. pick so forget about it. Derrick Favors or Ed Davis is my pick hopefully we can land a top 3 this year.
This is a big year for Davis. He's going from the backdrop to the highlight. Its his time to shine, so we'll see. He definitely talented, and he doesn't have to play second fiddle to Hansbourgh anymore. Should be fun..

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Good thing this is looking like a pretty deep draft.
That's good news. From what I've read and heard, it sounded like there were two players at the top (Walls & Favors), then maybe Alabi, and the rest a bunch of ho-hums. It would be nice if Petrie could get another pick somewhere in the teens.

To try to be on the optimistic side, I've thought that if we don't get one of the top two picks, then Alabi could be a nice consolation prize. He is a project, but he's a project with offensive and defensive potential, unlike Thabeet was last year. If Brick gets on his bandwagon, I might actually support him this year.:p

Kingster

Hall of Famer
This is a big year for Davis. He's going from the backdrop to the highlight. Its his time to shine, so we'll see. He definitely talented, and he doesn't have to play second fiddle to Hansbourgh anymore. Should be fun..
He's a good player. He's definitely NBA caliber; it's just a question of how high do you think his ceiling is.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
He's a good player. He's definitely NBA caliber; it's just a question of how high do you think his ceiling is.
True, and I don't have any idea yet. As I said, this is his year in the spotlight, so we'll see. But I do like what I've seen from him, though little it may be...:)