Evans versus Rubio

Who is going to be better?

• Total voters
We drafted a flashy point guard named Jason Williams a few years back.

He put butts in the seats.

Problem is, his wildness with the ball eventually led to his dismissal for a more steady point guard named Mike Bibby, who led us to the Western Conference Finals.

And J-Will didn't win a championship until he toned down his game.

Point is, I don't want flash, I want wins. And in my opinion, Evans gives us the best opportunity for that sooner than Rubio would. Evans is still learning the position but flourished when Calipari moved him to the point. He appears to be a more in-control player than Rubio, which is A-OK with me. If Evans and the Kings start winning, the fans will come back. Winning is the bottom line, not behind the back and lookaway passes.

Pete Maravich was flashy. Never won a championship.
Rafer Alston was flashy as a street baller and at Fresno State, but toned down his game and helped get the Rockets to the playoffs and the Magic to the NBA Finals.

It's the Williams-Bibby scenario reincarnated.

I'm thrilled with the selection.

How can anyone actually answer that question? Rubio and Evans are two completely different players, with different strengths and weaknesses, athletic ability, size, speed, etc. They will inpact their respective teams in completely different ways.

Surround Rubio with shooters and bigs that can run the pick and roll, and he will rack up tons of assists while making everyone around him better.

Evans playmaking ability remains to be seen on the nba level, but he could end up being a taller Deron Williams who can get his shot off when needed, muscle smaller guards, and be a real threat to score at the end of games.

To me its like comparing Nash to Billups. Completely different players but both are extremely effective in the right setting.
Deron Williams?! Are you kidding me!

Look I like Evans, and I think he was a pretty good pick but c'mon, Deron is a true PG. He knows how to run the team, how to get others involved and make them better. He has proven that in college and he is proving it in the NBA. Evans is yet to prove that he can run the team like Deron can. He hasn't proven that in college and he needs to prove it in the NBA. In terms of physical appearence, both are big bodies (Evans taller) and I guess thats where the similarities end.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Look I like Evans, and I think he was a pretty good pick but c'mon, Deron is a true PG. He knows how to run the team, how to get others involved and make them better. He has proven that in college and he is proving it in the NBA. Evans is yet to prove that he can run the team like Deron can. He hasn't proven that in college and he needs to prove it in the NBA. In terms of physical appearence, both are big bodies (Evans taller) and I guess thats where the similarities end.
Evans played point in college and led his team to a 26-1 record. So I don't think you can say he didn't prove anything in college...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If he had, he would have been gone before we had a chance to get him. I think he'll prove a lot of you wrong. He's a kid with tons of potential. You can't always have both potential and experience...especially if you don't have the first pick in the draft.

I can see this argument going on forever, however, so I'll just recognize that you have a differing opinion and wait to see how he does as a King.

We drafted a flashy point guard named Jason Williams a few years back.

He put butts in the seats.

Problem is, his wildness with the ball eventually led to his dismissal for a more steady point guard named Mike Bibby, who led us to the Western Conference Finals.

And J-Will didn't win a championship until he toned down his game.

Point is, I don't want flash, I want wins. And in my opinion, Evans gives us the best opportunity for that sooner than Rubio would. Evans is still learning the position but flourished when Calipari moved him to the point. He appears to be a more in-control player than Rubio, which is A-OK with me. If Evans and the Kings start winning, the fans will come back. Winning is the bottom line, not behind the back and lookaway passes.

Pete Maravich was flashy. Never won a championship.
Rafer Alston was flashy as a street baller and at Fresno State, but toned down his game and helped get the Rockets to the playoffs and the Magic to the NBA Finals.

It's the Williams-Bibby scenario reincarnated.

I'm thrilled with the selection.
You're creating the same strawman argument like so many others are about Rubio. He's not like Jason Williams. Why do you think he's all flash? What makes you think that? He plays a much more disciplined game than him, he's a far better decision maker, and he actually knows how to facilitate an offense. Williams played towards highlights, Rubio plays toward the right play.

Last edited:
If people are going to keep up with this Rubio is just flash and hype nonsense then I'm going to start calling our new guard Tyreake "That guy who beasted on assistant coaches in a practice facility" Evans.

Last edited:
Actually, I think the idea in the front office is that Tyreke Evans is going to be playing significant minutes at the point this year.

Somehow, I don't think that will comfort you. But I, for one, am looking forward to watching the development of a young, extremely talented, potentially game-changing player. We haven't had one of those in a long while. If he can't play point, we'll figure it out and deal with it when necessary. If he can play point, look out!
It's not that I don't think Evans could turn out to be solid player or possibly even a star, I have nothing against the kid, it's that I have abolutely ZERO faith in Geoff Petrie getting anything for Kevin Martin. The guy hasn't pulled off a good trade for this team in over 5 years and if you think things will be different this year you are completely delusional.

Shut up?.. Who the **** are you talking to bro?
I’m not just some Rubio fanboy. I’m a king’s fan that is sick and tired of this team making poor decisions every single ****ing year. This team desperately needed one position, a point guard. So what? They soured on Rubio because of some BS individual work out? How do you think Jason Kidd would have looked in an individual work out if nobody had seen him play in college? I’m not saying Rubio is on Kidd’s level but they’re game is pretty damn similar. Who cares if he can’t shoot, the kid flat out makes his team mates better. We’ve got guys who can shoot the ball already.
Tell me this, smart guy… with Petrie going with the “BPA” and drafting another damn shooting guard, how do you suppose we get our point guard? Please don’t say trade because we all know how we have been getting royally **** for years by every other GM due to the fact that everyone has caught on to Petrie’s BS… so what then? Sign somebody? really? How’s that worked out for us over the past 5 years?
there are some holes in your argument, rubio could've did some 3 on 3 workouts to display his skills. instead it was a controlled workout handled by his ppl.

whats wrong with selecting the BPA? evans is a multi position player that has shown he can play the PG.

>how do you suppose we get a point guard?? who is sergio rodriguez? a 6'2 small forward? you should wait til these guys get on the court a few games b4 all the bashing.

dude this rebuild aint going to happen magically overnight. i was high on rubio and was hoping we'd pick him at 4 but trust petrie's decision on evans.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If people are going to keep up with this Rubio is just flash and hype nonsense then I'm going to start calling our new guard Tyreake "That guy who beasted on assistant coaches in a practice facility" Evans.
You might want to just use "TGWBOACIAPF" for short.

;)

there are some holes in your argument, rubio could've did some 3 on 3 workouts to display his skills. instead it was a controlled workout handled by his ppl.

whats wrong with selecting the BPA? evans is a multi position player that has shown he can play the PG.

>how do you suppose we get a point guard?? who is sergio rodriguez? a 6'2 small forward? you should wait til these guys get on the court a few games b4 all the bashing.

dude this rebuild aint going to happen magically overnight. i was high on rubio and was hoping we'd pick him at 4 but trust petrie's decision on evans.
Well it's up for debate who was BPA at 4. Will be for a couple years. Looking forward to all those Rubio vs. Evans threads like we had with Bibby/Williams back in the day. That's if Rubio plays in the NBA.

Entity

Hall of Famer

oh you think its based on THAT workout. Awwww how sweet he is uninformed. no its based on film pshych evaluations and the fact that he "beasted" on every other top pg in the draft.

I was caught up in the Rubio hype and didn't know a thing about Evans. I still wish we picked him tho and now it seems that there is an Evans hype! He's sooooo beastly?? ya... he is. But I mean, Ricky Rubio just rolls of the tongue- a clear indicator that he is the better pick. Bottom line is, no one knows who the best pick was. At least the Kings are a much better team. Can we make an Evans vs. Beno thread? :p

He has't proven his ability to be a true PG that makes others better which is what Williams did prove in college.
Explain to me the difference between a 'true' PG and a PG?

I don't think Tony Parker is any more or less effective than say a Jose Calderon. They're just DIFFERENT. Evans complements this team VERY well. He's probably the ONLY guy that can draw a double team, to create an opening in the offense. He's also much more of a threat to penetrate and score or kick. Rubio would be great too, but there's more than one way to make your teammates better. Collapsing the defense and creating open shots for teammates is a great way.

How can anyone actually answer that question? Rubio and Evans are two completely different players, with different strengths and weaknesses, athletic ability, size, speed, etc. They will inpact their respective teams in completely different ways.

Surround Rubio with shooters and bigs that can run the pick and roll, and he will rack up tons of assists while making everyone around him better.

Evans playmaking ability remains to be seen on the nba level, but he could end up being a taller Deron Williams who can get his shot off when needed, muscle smaller guards, and be a real threat to score at the end of games.

To me its like comparing Nash to Billups. Completely different players but both are extremely effective in the right setting.
Rainmaker, that is a good post. You're right that they are two completely different players with different skillsets. But that still doesn't preclude us from comparing them as NBA players. Since you brought up Nash... Nash and Jason Williams have different games/skills, but I can still safely say that Nash is the better PG. Mike Bibby/Jason Wiliams: Bibby is better. Tony Parker is an excellent penetrator but not as great a shooter, whereas Derek Fisher is a very good shooter. Most people would say that Parker is a better player in general than Fisher. You get the idea.

It remains to be seen who will be better. Of course, you have to evaluate the whole picture and not just stats. The question might become debatable, like as you said Nash vs Billups...or it could just become a landslide for one player. I think it will be a landslide, but that's just my opinion

He has't proven his ability to be a true PG that makes others better which is what Williams did prove in college.
His team became better after HE became the starting PG. He couldn't do that without making his teammates better in some way. If he was just a ball hog (as some have insinuated) at point, his team would have become worse (not better).

Seems to me that Tyreke did a pretty good job running his team as a PG and put up better numbers across the board while putting up similar assist numbers to Deron Williams in the freshman season.

Tyreke Evans freshman stats:

Season GP MPG PPG FG% 3FG% FT% APG RPG BPG SPG

2008-2009 37 28.9 17.1 45.5 27.4 71.1 3.9 5.4 0.8 2.1

Deron Williams freshman stats in college:

2002-2003 32 27.1 6.3 42.6 35.4 53.3 4.5 3.0 0.2 1.4

Last edited:
to all those who are favoring rubio he didn't get drafted get over it. Evens is a better fit for the kings do you want somebody who is flashy but will get beat on defense or do you want a guy who can defend and actually stop the other teams pg. One of are biggest downfalls last year was other teams point guards killed us if we got rubio this trend would continue but evens can actually put an end to this. also evens can play right away and start to help rubio would get maybe 5-6 min a game and if he does become good it will be in 3 years,

Last edited:

Entity

Hall of Famer
Seems to me that Tyreke did a pretty good job running his team as a PG and put up better numbers across the board while putting up similar assist numbers to Deron Williams in the freshman season.

Tyreke Evans freshman stats:

2008-2009 37 28.9 17.1 45.5 27.4 71.1 3.9 5.4 0.8 2.1

Deron Williams freshman stats in college:

2002-2003 32 27.1 6.3 42.6 35.4 53.3 4.5 3.0 0.2 1.4

uhm i can't wait to see what kind of comeback that is going to recieve. good find.

The solution to this is simple... let's trade for Rubio.

Ship Kevin Martin to the TWolves and get Rubio in return... similar to what the Sonics did when they sent Ray Allen to the Celtics and ended up with Kevin Durant and Jeff Green in the same draft.

So, in essence, your argument is we haven't even rebuilt yet. That is a ****ing sad thought. I'm not sure I disagree with it, but its a pretty damning accusation of management.

And Rubio can be a star just as easily as Evans can.
He's not saying that we haven't started rebuilding, but that part of rebuilding is getting a star and shaping talent around him. We have some good, young pieces, but no we won't be done rebuilding until we are an elite team again.

And yes, they both have star potential, so it's up to our GM to decide which player is more likely to be a star and he choose Evans. Given his track record in the draft, he deserves the benefit of the doubt here.

And if they do both become superstars, which star do you think is more likely to lead us to a championship. The light scoring, amazing passing average defensive player. Or the high scoring, average passing, amazing defensive player. Look at NBA finals teams for the past 20 years and the answer is very straight forward.

He's not saying that we haven't started rebuilding, but that part of rebuilding is getting a star and shaping talent around him. We have some good, young pieces, but no we won't be done rebuilding until we are an elite team again.

And yes, they both have star potential, so it's up to our GM to decide which player is more likely to be a star and he choose Evans. Given his track record in the draft, he deserves the benefit of the doubt here.

And if they do both become superstars, which star do you think is more likely to lead us to a championship. The light scoring, amazing passing average defensive player. Or the high scoring, average passing, amazing defensive player. Look at NBA finals teams for the past 20 years and the answer is very straight forward.
I'm afraid it's not that black and white.

You've either never seen Rubio play or you've never seen Jason Williams play. I'm guessing it's the former.
I find it comical that any time anyone makes a comparison of Rubio that isn't of an all time great NBA player or makes a comment that is unfavorable about his game its because they obviously never seen him play. But if you say his game resembles Maravich mixed with Nash with a touch of Magic but with a better understanding of the pick and roll than John Stockton you are obviously a Rubio expert.

Last edited:
I find it comical that any time anyone makes a comparison of Rubio that isn't of an all time great NBA player or makes a comment that is unfavorable about his game its because they obviously never seen him play. But if you say his game resembles Maravich mixed with Nash with a touch of Magic but with a better understanding of the pick and roll than John Stockton you are obviously a Rubio expert.
Hey what do you know? Another strawman argument. I would (and have) give someone just as much crap for comparing him to Maravich. Now, if someone would have said Shaun Livingston (a more accurate "low end" comparison), then I would have suspected they might have seen Rubio play or at least have read up on him. It's not so much that it's unfavorable, but that it's completely wrong because they play nothing alike.

Last edited:
Rubio would have instantly put asses in the seats and got the media's attention on Sacramento again. Those morons passed on a great opportunity to immediately bring excitement and revenue back to Sac and they didn't. They went with a safe choice to save there own asses. Just moved our team in the direction of leaving Sacramento even further. FIRE GEOFF PETRIE.
Isn't it the owners who have the most to risk by not bringing in the guy who they knew would have instantly put asses in the seats and got the media's attention on Sacramento again? I mean I'm pretty sure the Maloof's did not get into this bizz to lose money. They went with the unpopular pick, the guy they knew they would take a public beating for. Because in the end they knew above all winning puts asses in the seats above a guy who everyone seems to be IMO overly enamored with.

Hey what do you know? Another strawman argument. I would (and have) give someone just as much crap for comparing him to Maravich. Now, if someone would have said Shaun Livingston (a more accurate "low end" comparison), then I would have suspected they might have seen Rubio play or at least have read up on him. It's not so much that it's unfavorable, but that it's completely wrong because they play nothing alike.
I didn't know my comment was considered an argument at all just an overall observation of the return on this board and around Sac when he is compared to someone less then NBA elite. On a side note I do believe some of his spectacular passes in the open court do resemble JWILL. JWILL was compared to Maravich for those same passes. Rubio is compared to Maravich for his flashy passes. So why was it completely outlandish to compare the two? Neither can score like Maravich so I think thats where the comparison begin and end. Truth be told nobody on this board or in Sacramento + Surrounding areas has seen him play, spent as much time with as the Kings FO. They obviously saw something they did not like.

I didn't know my comment was considered an argument at all just an overall observation of the return on this board and around Sac when he is compared to someone less then NBA elite. On a side note I do believe some of his spectacular passes in the open court do resemble JWILL. JWILL was compared to Maravich for those same passes. Rubio is compared to Maravich for his flashy passes. So why was it completely outlandish to compare the two? Neither can score like Maravich so I think thats where the comparison begin and end. Truth be told nobody on this board or in Sacramento + Surrounding areas has seen him play, spent as much time with as the Kings FO. They obviously saw something they did not like.
A lot of players can make flashy passes, it's not a good basis for a serious comparison. What they do consistently on court is what matters, and if you've seen Rubio you'd know he does not play like Williams. Sure Rubio has a similar flair to Maravich, but that's where it ends.