Evans versus Rubio

Who is going to be better?

• Total voters
Im thinking we could get away with playing evans at SF a lil bit aswell. With his length and size hes very similar to bonzi wellz who is actually 15 pounds ligher then Evans and the same height, and played SF pretty effectivly for us at times. This all dependes too how good evans is on defense, can he guard SFs?

I am not sure who will be better. I guess I would go with Evans. I think it is mostly refreshing that the Kings went with the bigger, tougher guy. I would definitely go with Tyreke in the street fight between the two.

I guess that puts a dent into the theory that GP always goes with the "softies." In fact, none of our picks are "softies."
I guess that's one of the major reasons why I like this pick. To be honest, they are both sharping up to be pretty good NBA players. Rubio being more of a project (more raw) but might have a bigger upside, versus Evans is more ready to perform but might not be the best fit in terms of position. They are 18 and 19 years old, respectively. You can make a case for either one in terms of potential.

And we don't have a legitimate star on the roster so that means none of the starters is untouchable, which justified the Evans pick for me.

In a perfect world, let's say both turn out to be superstar. Would you rather have a Chris Paul or a Dwayne Wade?

The more I read about even after the draft Rubio's acting like a 12 year old and his demeanor at the draft show me we made the right choice. I doubt any of our vets would have taken him seriously enough to be our leader.

Are you seriously suggesting that who we picked at 4 should have been based on who fits better with a backup PG? I think Evans could have more value off the ball than Ricky, but that's really not saying much since both are pretty useless off the ball, but this is just a ridiculous premise. You don't make a top selection based on who fits with a backup PG better, especially when neither one of them fit that well with him in the first place.
No, not exactly. What I'm suggesting is, considering that Westphall is on the bench, maybe the idea is that Sergio will be the main PG and they've picked up Evans thinking in developing him as SG, not PG.

If you say they don't fit together, I'll have to believe you because I haven't seen Evans so much. But what I have been reading this days is that is not a "pure" PG, so picking him up to fullfil Kings' deficiencies in the PG position doesn't make much sense.

I have no doubt that if Sergio has ended up there is because of Westphall. He's a hard lover of run'n'gun, and Sergio's crazy creativity is good enough to make him the main PG in a run'n'gun system.

Anyway, let's see what happens.

How can anyone actually answer that question? Rubio and Evans are two completely different players, with different strengths and weaknesses, athletic ability, size, speed, etc. They will inpact their respective teams in completely different ways.

Surround Rubio with shooters and bigs that can run the pick and roll, and he will rack up tons of assists while making everyone around him better.

Evans playmaking ability remains to be seen on the nba level, but he could end up being a taller Deron Williams who can get his shot off when needed, muscle smaller guards, and be a real threat to score at the end of games.

To me its like comparing Nash to Billups. Completely different players but both are extremely effective in the right setting.
Extremely intelligent post. Well said.

Rubio would have instantly put asses in the seats and got the media's attention on Sacramento again. Those morons passed on a great opportunity to immediately bring excitement and revenue back to Sac and they didn't. They went with a safe choice to save there own asses. Just moved our team in the direction of leaving Sacramento even further. FIRE GEOFF PETRIE.

Rubio would have instantly put asses in the seats and got the media's attention on Sacramento again. Those morons passed on a great opportunity to immediately bring excitement and revenue back to Sac and they didn't. They went with a safe choice to save there own asses. Just moved our team in the direction of leaving Sacramento even further. FIRE GEOFF PETRIE.
Dude seriously shut up. One pick that you don't like and you are saying fire GP? They didn't go with a safe choice to save their asses, their asses would have been saved taking Rubio because that's who most people wanted and most people wouldn't be angry. But picking the player he thinks will turn out best in the NBA is what he did and he didn't listen to any hype, just based his pick on what he saw on the court.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Don't you think your being a little dramatic? I wanted Rubio just as much as anyone on this board, and wanted to break my t.v. when we passed on him, but Tyreke Evans will be a very good nba player. He is not a bad pick at all. I still really like the idea of having Rubio running this team, and am not against the possibility of trying to pry him from Minn, but Evans could very well end up being the 2nd best player in this draft behind griffin.

Dude seriously shut up. One pick that you don't like and you are saying fire GP? They didn't go with a safe choice to save their asses, their asses would have been saved taking Rubio because that's who most people wanted and most people wouldn't be angry. But picking the player he thinks will turn out best in the NBA is what he did and he didn't listen to any hype, just based his pick on what he saw on the court.
Petrie has lost my support now too. The Rubio thing was only a small part. It's more from the 2nd round picks the past 2 years and the trades in recent years.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Impossible to say at this point, obviously, and what is the criteria? If Evans is a 20/5/5 guy and Rubio a 12/3/8 guy, who wins? Does team record play into this?

Strictly short term (1 year or less), I think Evans has the body and physicality to be a "better" NBA player.

The more I think about the move, the less I like it and the less it makes sense. So, I've been trying not to think about it. =|

Look at the team that the FO has assembled: Top player is your shooting guard, who isn't a reliable ball handler but moves well off the ball and can shoot. For these reasons, he'll never be 'the superstar.' Your last two draft picks were big men. They have shown the ability to run the floor, but the team hasn't gotten them much touches. Around these pieces you have a point guard that has been a letdown and a plethora of swingmen type players. Your swings offer some versatility and defense. Garcia is good on the wing for a 3point shot and plays with intensity. Nocioni is similar and a little tougher. Donte you are waiting to develop, but has some nice athletic ability.

Who fits better? A natural distributing point that sees the whole floor and finds guys and plays at a rate quicker than anyone else ont he floor OR a guy who dribble drives and looks to score?

Rubio just fits a whole lot more. And your most likely best scenario with Evans leaves your two best players playing the same position and you having to make a trade down the road.

Shut up?.. Who the **** are you talking to bro?
I’m not just some Rubio fanboy. I’m a king’s fan that is sick and tired of this team making poor decisions every single ****ing year. This team desperately needed one position, a point guard. So what? They soured on Rubio because of some BS individual work out? How do you think Jason Kidd would have looked in an individual work out if nobody had seen him play in college? I’m not saying Rubio is on Kidd’s level but they’re game is pretty damn similar. Who cares if he can’t shoot, the kid flat out makes his team mates better. We’ve got guys who can shoot the ball already.
Tell me this, smart guy… with Petrie going with the “BPA” and drafting another damn shooting guard, how do you suppose we get our point guard? Please don’t say trade because we all know how we have been getting royally **** for years by every other GM due to the fact that everyone has caught on to Petrie’s BS… so what then? Sign somebody? really? How’s that worked out for us over the past 5 years?

Shut up?.. Who the **** are you talking to bro?
I’m not just some Rubio fanboy. I’m a king’s fan that is sick and tired of this team making poor decisions every single ****ing year. This team desperately needed one position, a point guard. So what? They soured on Rubio because of some BS individual work out? How do you think Jason Kidd would have looked in an individual work out if nobody had seen him play in college? I’m not saying Rubio is on Kidd’s level but they’re game is pretty damn similar. Who cares if he can’t shoot, the kid flat out makes his team mates better. We’ve got guys who can shoot the ball already.
Tell me this, smart guy… with Petrie going with the “BPA” and drafting another damn shooting guard, how do you suppose we get our point guard? Please don’t say trade because we all know how we have been getting royally **** for years by every other GM due to the fact that everyone has caught on to Petrie’s BS… so what then? Sign somebody? really? How’s that worked out for us over the past 5 years?
Oh man, I probably shouldn't even respond to your post, but I will anyways. Yeah, GP decided to pass Rubio just because of his individual workout.:rolleyes: They have been scouting Rubio for an extremely long time and I doubt they put too much emphasis on his individual workout.

Rubio's game isn't too similar to Kidd's besides the passing. They have completely different body types, allowing Kidd to do many things Rubio cannot.

Who says Tyreke is only going to be a shooting guard? You? Well I guess he's only a shooting guard then! :rolleyes: Even if Evans doesn't work out at point guard, did you happen to know that there is a draft every year along with those possibilities of trades?
I
'm not defending all of Petrie's moves, but the "FIRE GP HE DIDNT DRAFT RUBIO" really has to stop.

Last edited:
Rubio's game isn't too similar to Kidd's besides the passing. They have completely different body types, allowing Kidd to do many things Rubio cannot.
Speaking of tall PG's as we were this week, I can't think of a really successful one whose game didn't include the ability to exploit defenders inside. I don't really see Rubio doing that.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
The more I think about the move, the less I like it and the less it makes sense. So, I've been trying not to think about it. =|

Look at the team that the FO has assembled: Top player is your shooting guard, who isn't a reliable ball handler but moves well off the ball and can shoot. For these reasons, he'll never be 'the superstar.' Your last two draft picks were big men. They have shown the ability to run the floor, but the team hasn't gotten them much touches. Around these pieces you have a point guard that has been a letdown and a plethora of swingmen type players. Your swings offer some versatility and defense. Garcia is good on the wing for a 3point shot and plays with intensity. Nocioni is similar and a little tougher. Donte you are waiting to develop, but has some nice athletic ability.

Who fits better? A natural distributing point that sees the whole floor and finds guys and plays at a rate quicker than anyone else ont he floor OR a guy who dribble drives and looks to score?

Rubio just fits a whole lot more. And your most likely best scenario with Evans leaves your two best players playing the same position and you having to make a trade down the road.
If this were the team we're trying to contend with, sure then it's a bad fit. But this team has just started to re-build. They just finished a 17 win "everybody goes" type of season. This might be the last top 5 pick we have for the next 10 years. We had to pick the best player available regardless of who else is on the team. We needed a PG bad but you already said why Kevin will never be a superstar. If we're going to get a superstar at all, it probably had to be with this pick. Evans is the only guy available who had potential to be that type of superstar. Maybe he isn't a PG in the long run, but if he is the type of talent that the front office thinks he is than he becomes the player you now fit everyone else around.

If this were the team we're trying to contend with, sure then it's a bad fit. But this team has just started to re-build. They just finished a 17 win "everybody goes" type of season. This might be the last top 5 pick we have for the next 10 years. We had to pick the best player available regardless of who else is on the team.
No, let's concentrate on balancing out what we currently have, so we can lock in at 25 wins for years to come! :p

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Ok so your saying leave Petrie to sign a FA or trading for a point guard..

God help us all.
Actually, I think the idea in the front office is that Tyreke Evans is going to be playing significant minutes at the point this year.

Somehow, I don't think that will comfort you. But I, for one, am looking forward to watching the development of a young, extremely talented, potentially game-changing player. We haven't had one of those in a long while. If he can't play point, we'll figure it out and deal with it when necessary. If he can play point, look out!

Actually, I think the idea in the front office is that Tyreke Evans is going to be playing significant minutes at the point this year.

Somehow, I don't think that will comfort you. But I, for one, am looking forward to watching the development of a young, extremely talented, potentially game-changing player. We haven't had one of those in a long while. If he can't play point, we'll figure it out and deal with it when necessary. If he can play point, look out!
This is exactly how I feel about Evans... his ceiling is extremely high and it's really exciting to have a player on the roster with a ton of potential.

If this were the team we're trying to contend with, sure then it's a bad fit. But this team has just started to re-build. They just finished a 17 win "everybody goes" type of season. This might be the last top 5 pick we have for the next 10 years. We had to pick the best player available regardless of who else is on the team. We needed a PG bad but you already said why Kevin will never be a superstar. If we're going to get a superstar at all, it probably had to be with this pick. Evans is the only guy available who had potential to be that type of superstar. Maybe he isn't a PG in the long run, but if he is the type of talent that the front office thinks he is than he becomes the player you now fit everyone else around.
So, in essence, your argument is we haven't even rebuilt yet. That is a ****ing sad thought. I'm not sure I disagree with it, but its a pretty damning accusation of management.

And Rubio can be a star just as easily as Evans can.