Evans versus Rubio

Who is going to be better?

• Total voters
I just wanted to start this thread because this is the topic of most dissension among Kings fans today. Who do you think is going to be better?

I put my vote for Evans. I think when we play Minnesota this year, Evans is going MANHANDLE Rubio, just like he did with the other top draft prospects. I just don't see Rubio being able to guard Evans, whereas Evans looks like he can shut Rubio down.

Of course, nobody will know until they start playing. So just put in your vote and we'll come back to this thread midseason.

Evans hands down. I wouldn't mind picking Rubio because he fills a need but Evans will be the better player. He may not end up being a PG but he has star potential while I think Rubio's ceiling is somewhere between Mark Jackson and Andre Miller - good player but not a star.

So this is a who is going to be better for the first three months of their NBA career thread?

Well do you want to come back to this thread in 5 years or something?? :)
well 3 months vs better overall is an important detail in sports in general. many people thought mike vick was a better pick than tomlinson at first and the chargers made a mistake trading their pick. but a few years down the line...

Rubio will be better imo. Maybe not better stat wise (except for assists) but the team Rubio is playing for will be better suited to make a playoff run than the Kings.

Rubio might eventually be better, but there are definitely many uncertainties surrounding him. Too many to persuade Memphis, OKC or Petrie, apparently. Evans seems like a better pick for this Kings team if he can be a starting PG and add some toughness. It'll be interesting to see what happens with Rubio though, does he go back to Spain because he ended up in Minnesota?

I think both players will be good and help their teams to win games .... however, I see Evans as a solid contributor and to-get-a-job-done player and Rubio is a daddy-i-wanna-be-like-ricky player. Rubio fascinates people, they wanna watch him play and do his magic, he changes basketball arenas into basketball theaters.

Again, as I have said today, I am not angry and actually Ok with Evans. It was a solid pick.

I think Evans is/will be the better player between the two. With THAT said, I think Rubio was the better fit for our franchise and probably bring a little extra pizazz and entertainment value back to Sacramento.

With that said, I always had Rubio as option 1a and Evans as 1b. I don't think WE could have gone wrong with either.

IMO they've done it perfect. I think the point they had in mind isn't Evans vs. Rubio, the point is Evans + Sergio vs. Rubio.

Evans is not a true PG, Sergio is. So that means that they can play at the same time, with Evans as 2. I don't think they'll be together all time in court, but having both guards instead of having only Ricky will fill much more better the PG position there.

IMO they've done it perfect. I think the point they had in mind isn't Evans vs. Rubio, the point is Evans + Sergio vs. Rubio.
they should've picked rubio, but still do the deal to get sergio. and then in true kings fashion, we would've picked up pau gasol in free agency when he's on the downside of his career. rudy fernandez will see how much fun his countrymen are having on the same team, and sign with the team during his free agency, as does a cold, tired-of-canda jose calderon. juan carlos navarro is lured back from spain. the team changes its name to the sacramento spainards, and arco starts serving paella at the concession stands. and it would've been glorious, people, because paella is glorious.

sigh. but now we'll never know...

Evans is not a true PG, Sergio is. So that means that they can play at the same time, with Evans as 2. I don't think they'll be together all time in court, but having both guards instead of having only Ricky will fill much more better the PG position there.
Sergio is likely a career backup, he's not a factor in who they picked at 4.

Maybe I wrong (I haven't seen Evans as most of you have) but I think he can play much more comfortable as 2 than Ricky does. Sergio is an awful defender, but he can fill the lack of ball movement in Sacramento wonderfully. So even considering that Rubio will become a better player than Evans having Evans and Sergio will add much more flexibility than having Sergio and Ricky.

Easily Tyreke for me. I could never get that excited about Rubio... Jason Williams v 2.0 imo. With Tyreke you're getting a guy who has the potential to fall somewhere between a Rodney Stuckey and a Dwayne Wade. A physical presence who can play offense and defense and grab some boards too. Who knows how it'll turn out but personally I was thrilled when Evans' name was called rather than Rubio's.

That's a comparison I didn't think of. How does Tyreke compare with Stuckey?
That's basically the comparison I gave Evans, albiet Evans looks to have more skill slashing, better wingspan. Stuckey seems to be a better pure athlete than Evans though. Both are of the large combo guard ilk, and use their sheer size to get into the lane.

I'm afraid that Evans will end up as Stuckey.

Maybe I wrong (I haven't seen Evans as most of you have) but I think he can play much more comfortable as 2 than Ricky does. Sergio is an awful defender, but he can fill the lack of ball movement in Sacramento wonderfully. So even considering that Rubio will become a better player than Evans having Evans and Sergio will add much more flexibility than having Sergio and Ricky.
Are you seriously suggesting that who we picked at 4 should have been based on who fits better with a backup PG? I think Evans could have more value off the ball than Ricky, but that's really not saying much since both are pretty useless off the ball, but this is just a ridiculous premise. You don't make a top selection based on who fits with a backup PG better, especially when neither one of them fit that well with him in the first place.

Easily Tyreke for me. I could never get that excited about Rubio... Jason Williams v 2.0 imo. With Tyreke you're getting a guy who has the potential to fall somewhere between a Rodney Stuckey and a Dwayne Wade. A physical presence who can play offense and defense and grab some boards too. Who knows how it'll turn out but personally I was thrilled when Evans' name was called rather than Rubio's.
You've either never seen Rubio play or you've never seen Jason Williams play. I'm guessing it's the former.

Last edited:
I am not sure who will be better. I guess I would go with Evans. I think it is mostly refreshing that the Kings went with the bigger, tougher guy. I would definitely go with Tyreke in the street fight between the two.

I guess that puts a dent into the theory that GP always goes with the "softies." In fact, none of our picks are "softies."

My knee-jerk reaction says Rubio or else I wouldn't have wanted Petrie's head yesterday, but I also think he could be the best player in this draft. That said I haven't seen him play, and I'm purely going on his reputation, and yes hype (but you can also call the hype advance scouting and draft projection). Clearly he wowed no one in the workouts and probably isn't as athletic as Tyreke, but I think the competition he's faced is way superior, and the fact that he's been playing pro since a young age speaks to his maturity and is a clear hint that he's a bit of a phenom.

The Grizzlies have been burned in the past with drafting a player who didn't want to be there (Steve Francis), and OKC has that Westwood chap who is pretty good. And yes getting out of his contract could be sticky, but we had no reason for passing on him, regardless of how soft he and Kevin would be playing together. Kevin can be moved, unless we still are trying to build around him.

Better... at what?

I think that Evans will put up a better batch of rookie numbers. He may always be the better scorer.

I think that, in 2-3 years, Rubio will be better at helping his team win.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
How can anyone actually answer that question? Rubio and Evans are two completely different players, with different strengths and weaknesses, athletic ability, size, speed, etc. They will inpact their respective teams in completely different ways.

Surround Rubio with shooters and bigs that can run the pick and roll, and he will rack up tons of assists while making everyone around him better.

Evans playmaking ability remains to be seen on the nba level, but he could end up being a taller Deron Williams who can get his shot off when needed, muscle smaller guards, and be a real threat to score at the end of games.

To me its like comparing Nash to Billups. Completely different players but both are extremely effective in the right setting.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Better... at what?

I think that Evans will put up a better batch of rookie numbers. He may always be the better scorer.

I think that, in 2-3 years, Rubio will be better at helping his team win.
That may be. If the draft was easy, nobody would make mistakes. All you can do is try to evaluate the talent and pick who you think is best.

If Evans can turn out like Stuckey I'm completely happy with the pick. I think Evans has a legitamite shot at ROY this year.
Doubtful if Clips can move one of their big men. Griffin has the superior draft stock, recognition, and he is just as, if not moreso, NBA ready than Evans. Also, Griffin will have all the opportunities to rebound and score. The numbers that Evans will be allowed to put up won't wow as much as a double double. I don't foresee Evans putting up 20 points next to or behind Martin, nor a good amount of assists, so his stats will not push him above Griffin.

But there goes KF annointing another award/ridiculous stat projection to one of their own.