How do you feel about picking Evans?

How do you feel about us picking Tyreke Evans?

• Total voters
rainmaker - With the ever-soft Martin already established on the team, having Evans at the point is actually the MUCH BETTER fit.
EXACTLY! I'm tired of Beno and Martin missing games because of "mysterious" injures...how many people complained about Beno and his weak bones?

Now, those same people, look how many games Rubio missed last year...

Evans took over a sub-par Memphis team (who lost their team when Rose was drafted), and took from a forgotten team to one of the best college basketball teams in the country! He's tough, and he was a men among boys in all the workouts that he took part in.

Stats aren't close to Rose.. At least not the assist/to. When Rose played it was more structured as well. Evans was just given the ball and told to play pretty much and it was a lot of iso. Until he plays a "real" PG position we wont know how good he can be.

Rose averaged 4.7 ast a game. Evans average 3.9 ast a game. Yet Rose is a pure PG?

There is no doubt in my mind that Evans can get 5 to 7 assists a game in the NBA once he gets some time to develop. There are many all star PGs that are very effective and gets only 5 or 6 ast a game. Give him a chance.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I was actually thinking of Martin's defensive presence when I said "ever soft" as I'm still a fan of Kev's but not blind to his shortcomings. I think Evans will actually help Martin's game with his tough presence on the court. Since Noc also plays tough there won't be as much pressure on Martin IMHO.

Rose averaged 4.7 ast a game. Evans average 3.9 ast a game. Yet Rose is a pure PG?

There is no doubt in my mind that Evans can get 5 to 7 assists a game in the NBA once he gets some time to develop. There are many all star PGs that are very effective and gets only 5 or 6 ast a game. Give him a chance.
This is bigger than the stats. Rose has terrific court vision and really focused on making his teammates better. Evans really didn't and one of the knocks against him was that he can be a little selfish in dominating the ball. Doesn't mean he isn't a good player but hardly what the Kings needed. Especially when what they did need was right there for the taking.

This is bigger than the stats. Rose has terrific court vision and really focused on making his teammates better. Evans really didn't and one of the knocks against him was that he can be a little selfish in dominating the ball. Doesn't mean he isn't a good player but hardly what the Kings needed. Especially when what they did need was right there for the taking.

Keep in mind the Memphis team with Rose there had a lot better players overall also. Its much easier to trust your teammates and pass when you have a championship team.

The Tigers started a long win streak when they gave Tyreke the chance to run the team. With lesser teammates, the star has to do more.

If you think the Kings doesn't need someone that can breakdown the opponent's defense and be able to play physical on the perimeter, get to the basket, draw double teams and dish, then I'm not sure which Kings team you are watching.

Keep in mind the Memphis team with Rose there had a lot better players overall also. Its much easier to trust your teammates and pass when you have a championship team.

The Tigers started a long win streak when they gave Tyreke the chance to run the team. With lesser teammates, the star has to do more.

If you think the Kings doesn't need someone that can breakdown the opponent's defense and be able to play physical on the perimeter, get to the basket, draw double teams and dish, then I'm not sure which Kings team you are watching.
The whole Memphis started to win once they switched Evans to the point is so misused. They started to win once they started playing in the crappy Conf-USA. I won't argue that Rose had a better team but that doesn't have anything to do with the PG skills Evans hasn't demonstrated.

Your second paragraph describes John Salmons and Ron Artest perfectly. And I did watch that team. While consistently shouting at my tv for someone to pass the ball, get the team moving and do something besides one-on-five drives and fade-aways.

Does Evans possess the skills you mentioned? You bet and a whole lot more potential besides. If Rubio had already been selected, I think Evans would have been the best of the players left. But our greatest offensive need was there for the taking and we passed. Dumb.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I still firmly believe there are good reasons why the Kings passed on Rubio. TPTB are painfully aware of how much they need someone to reinvigorate the fan base. If they passed on Rubio, knowing how excited a lot of Kings fans were about possibly getting him, it truly had to be because there things they didn't like, things they wanted to see and didn't, things they didn't want to see but did, etc. If they felt he would be the best for the team, they would have picked him in a New York minute.

L

Lafayette

wtf

A point guard is exactly what the Kings need. It was listed as their #1 need all season and Rubio the #1 option for them all season.

And if you want to get better fast then you go the Boston route. You don't bother with draft picks.

And wtf is hypnitis
It's a disease when the HYPE consumes you so much that you just go around and spread the word that the HYPE is real. Rubio was making you all sick in believing the hype.

I'm not knocking RUBIO I'm just so so so so so so happy that Evans was picked.

The whole Memphis started to win once they switched Evans to the point is so misused. They started to win once they started playing in the crappy Conf-USA. I won't argue that Rose had a better team but that doesn't have anything to do with the PG skills Evans hasn't demonstrated.

Your second paragraph describes John Salmons and Ron Artest perfectly. And I did watch that team. While consistently shouting at my tv for someone to pass the ball, get the team moving and do something besides one-on-five drives and fade-aways.

Does Evans possess the skills you mentioned? You bet and a whole lot more potential besides. If Rubio had already been selected, I think Evans would have been the best of the players left. But our greatest offensive need was there for the taking and we passed. Dumb.

You mean the third. And Artest cannot drive and break down the defense. At best he will try to overpower the guy on his classic slow drives to the basket. Often he can't pass his own man and retreats back to the top of the key with the clock down to 5 secs and jacks up a fade away jumper with a guy right in his face. Salmons, while better than Artest at driving the ball in is one dimensional. Has only one move of trying to beat his guy with his first step.

Evans is a much better ball handler already than both of those guys. He can actually beat his defender at will with an array of moves. And about being ball dominate, is Lebron and Wade ball dominate? While they are not pure PGs, they both get more assists than many starting PGs in the league. Have some faith that Evans will pass more than you think.

Whether Rubio plays for the Wolves, another team in the NBA or goes back to the Spain, he will also always be ball dominate. PGs and play creators are usually ball dominate.

Everyone has their own opinion so it is what it is. We'll just wait and see. I liked Rubio also. Either Evans or Rubio would've made me happy. In any case, Evans is our pick and our reality right now. I wouldn't spend too much time missing someone that not on our team though.

Last edited:
I think they passed on Rubio because they thought he would take a year or two to develop and that Evans will show production earlier. That is a bad game plan in my opinion.

I also think they passed on Rubio because the management doesn't really understand the point guard position and actually think Evans is the better PG. Petrie had Porter in Portland and Bibby here. He did draft JWill, but JWill at the time had a reputation for being a good shooter in college. To mentor JWill they brought in Byron Scott, who was a shooting guard. I think that in their mind the guard positions aren't all that different. Coachie once commented on how Bibby was more a point guard than Williams was after that trade. For all the praise for Coachie, his offensive system doesn't utilize point guard skills and the man obviously doesn't grasp the position.

You look at Bojax, Douby, etc. They don't quite grasp the true point. And that is not really all that uncommon, even within the league.

I still firmly believe there are good reasons why the Kings passed on Rubio. TPTB are painfully aware of how much they need someone to reinvigorate the fan base. If they passed on Rubio, knowing how excited a lot of Kings fans were about possibly getting him, it truly had to be because there things they didn't like, things they wanted to see and didn't, things they didn't want to see but did, etc. If they felt he would be the best for the team, they would have picked him in a New York minute.
Yes, I agree.

I mentioned earlier already that the Kings is the only team that both worked out Evans extensively while also having a chance to meet with Rubio extensively and even get a workout. Of the 3 teams that passed on Rubio after the Clips, the Kings have the most info and knowledge to make an educated decision on Rubio. GP and the staff are not stupid. Maybe they talked to Rubio a lot and decided his personality wouldn't translate to him being a leader in the NBA. Different cultures makes a big difference sometimes.

Maybe its something they saw in the workout. Whatever it is, GP picked Evans even with Rubio available. This shows you that they really wanted Evans and did not SETTLE on Evans cause Rubio was already taken.

It's a disease when the HYPE consumes you so much that you just go around and spread the word that the HYPE is real. Rubio was making you all sick in believing the hype.

So let me get this straight...Wanting to draft a player that happens to be the "popular" pick means that you only want them because of hype? Straw man much?

You may not be knocking Rubio per se, but you are trying to patronize people by lumping them into this stereotypical perception of the "Rubio supporter" (the "youtube pick" stereotype that's becoming more trendy to say than anything you're accusing others of) who only likes Rubio because of highlights and popularity.

Last edited:

And Evans is making people see PG PG PG PG PG PG. It's a disease. :D

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think they passed on Rubio because they thought he would take a year or two to develop and that Evans will show production earlier. That is a bad game plan in my opinion.

I also think they passed on Rubio because the management doesn't really understand the point guard position and actually think Evans is the better PG. Petrie had Porter in Portland and Bibby here. He did draft JWill, but JWill at the time had a reputation for being a good shooter in college. To mentor JWill they brought in Byron Scott, who was a shooting guard. I think that in their mind the guard positions aren't all that different. Coachie once commented on how Bibby was more a point guard than Williams was after that trade. For all the praise for Coachie, his offensive system doesn't utilize point guard skills and the man obviously doesn't grasp the position.

You look at Bojax, Douby, etc. They don't quite grasp the true point. And that is not really all that uncommon, even within the league.
No, I think they truly believe Evans will be the better fit for the team Petrie is building and we don't know what the final picture will look like. For all we know, they may be thinking of seeing how Evans works out and then seeking a trade for Martin if Evans fills the bill, with an eye to acquiring an established point guard down the line.

I think they're pretty clear on the point guard position. I think the confusion comes when we - the fans - begin to believe that we have all the information they had, when it's pretty obvious we didn't and won't.

when harden was picked 3rd i was excited and fired up

when we picked tyreke i went to the other room baffled and popped the ps3 and started playing

then i learned to accept the pick and just trust geoff..

when harden was picked 3rd i was excited and fired up

when we picked tyreke i went to the other room baffled and popped the ps3 and started playing

then i learned to accept the pick and just trust geoff..
I (along with my family at our yearly party) all collectively yelled out "AWWWWWWWWWWWWW"! I left the room and got on my laptop to voice my disapproval, my brothers slammed the door and left, and my dad (who is a huge Memphis Tiger fan) said "The Kings just got themselves a new ball hog".

Then I spent the next half hour to hour checking for trades and listening to my dad say how he is not renewing his season tickets and F*** the kings and so on and so forth. When I knew a trade was not happening I just left for home and swallowed that huge lump in my throat and prepared myself for all the insults I would receive on this site for voicing my disapproval.

I (along with my family at our yearly party) all collectively yelled out "AWWWWWWWWWWWWW"! I left the room and got on my laptop to voice my disapproval, my brothers slammed the door and left, and my dad (who is a huge Memphis Tiger fan) said "The Kings just got themselves a new ball hog".

Then I spent the next half hour to hour checking for trades and listening to my dad say how he is not renewing his season tickets and F*** the kings and so on and so forth. When I knew a trade was not happening I just left for home and swallowed that huge lump in my throat and prepared myself for all the insults I would receive on this site for voicing my disapproval.
I atleast like our new found toughness.

Anyhow, I am out for the night.. Time to sleep this heartache off after a nice bowl of ice cream. I have gotten so used to being disappointed which this franchise. Sooooo much disappointment. It's funny.. Today I was hoping the Kings would move out of Sacramento so I could go back to being a Laker fan and not having to worry about these type of things. lol. :D

Even for those that are loving the Evans pick, why do the Kings not take a PG with one of the other picks they had? Why did they not take advantage of all the PGs available?

And why did Minnesota take so many PGs?

It makes very little to no sense.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Even for those that are loving the Evans pick, why do the Kings not take a PG with one of the other picks they had? Why did they not take advantage of all the PGs available?

The massive run on PGs from the late teens into the early 20s may have changed any plans we had at #23 -- it was ridiculous there at one point wiht 5 PGs in a row being taken just before we were up. Went form thinking maybe Holiday would fall. Or maybe Lawson. Or maybe Teague. to just nobody falling. Tegaue, Lawson, Holiday, even Maybor and Collison, all gone between 17 and 21, so it did not leave us with any obvious PGs worth that pick.

At #38 though...Mills would have worked there although I am far from convinced he's going to make it.

Khan said hes going to make a big splash...

i guess he is going make a big splash

when minnesota fans throw him in the river tied to a rock

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I really cannot competently judge at all, as I watch ZERO college basketball, but...

When the best part of my NBA Draft day is acquiring Sergio Rodriguez for our second round pick over the #4 overall...
I cannot say I'm happy at all...

Ive been reading around about Evans,

Is he even a somewhat legit PG? Does he have the court vision or Basketball IQ to do it in the NBA? Can he pass the ball? Create for others?

Can he shoot?

What is his driving ability going to look like against the Big Boys?

Some sites have Evans compared to Larry Hughes, who (game-wise) I think is just awful...
((My quick take on Hughes, FYI: A black hole that can't shoot (But still tries), doesn't like passing, drives to the rim sometimes, gets steals, and was once tried as a PG before being moved to SG because he couldn't hack it))
If we just drafted someone in the mold of that...Color me beyond pissed.

One thing about the John Salmons/Artest comparisons that I feel strongly about is that Evans calls himself a point guard, and was drafted to (supposedly) play PG. To me that already means that he's committed to making his team mates better, to get others open through his penetration and stuff like that.

I'm not saying that he will definitely end up doing as we would like him to, but it's at least a start as compared to say Salmons who basically closes his eyes once he starts dribbling towards the hoop.

Would've been happy with Rubio but I'm ecstatic we drafted Evans. I think he could potentially be a Wade type of player. Tough defensively and unguardable 1 on 1.

He clearly has the ball handling skills to play the PG and will make our backcourt a very tough matchup for opposing teams. I couldn't be more excited about this pick and think his upside is definitely higher than Rubio's. Yeah maybe Rubio is the more traditional style PG but I'll take the better player anyday.

The Kings have never really had a dominant 1 on 1 player who could beat their man at will and get shots for themselves or team mates. I'm hopeful Evans can be that type of guy.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Did Rubio even come close to averaging a double double in Europe?????
never had a chance

I don't remember a player ever averaging 10 assists in Europe because You don't get one when setting up a jump shot. With most teams playing zone - there aren't opportunities to get 10 assists. In other words no NBA player would average 10 assists in Europe either.

Rubio at his age is way, way better than Tony Parker was when Spurs took him.

Last edited: