How do you feel about picking Evans?

How do you feel about us picking Tyreke Evans?

• Total voters
I'm pissed.

First let start with off the court. Rubio is a media darling. World wide fan base. Evans brother and legal guardian is Reggie Evens. Who is a head case in himself. Tyreke has was a driver in a car where his cousin shot and killed someone. He was cleared, but this family is already a big red flag. What happens when he get his contract money?

Now on to basketball. Neither are good shooters and don't have good form. Both are the same height with Evans having a 4 inch loner wingspan (thats 2 inches on each hand). While people keep saying Rubio doesn't play defense, he was the defensive player of the year in his league. Was Evans defensive anything in college ball?

Ok, now that Evans is ours I have high expectations. First, I think everyone would agree Mario Chalmers had a better year than Beno. Chalmers was a 2nd round pick. The first PG taken in this draft should be the starter at the begining of the year. It's not like Beno has a head start on knowing an offense that hasn't been implemented yet. In fact, Evans should have a head start playing summer league. Speaking of summer league, Evans should average 25 pts a game. This is his style of game.

I'm disappointed about Rubio, I think the Kings made a huge mistake in passing him up. Evans has a real high upside, but he's also a huge a risk himself, and that's why I don't understand passing on Rubio. I think he has a much better shot at fulfilling his potential than Evans does. So it's not so much Evans that I'm disappointed with, but rather that they passed up a great opportunity to get a guy that can be a star PG that fills so many of our needs. It'll take me awhile to get over this, I think they made a mistake, and took an unnecessary risk with Evans because Rubio has star upside too. Evans has good upside, but he doesn't have the great athleticism you expect from a guy with supposed star upside. He was a good consolation prize to Rubio, but Rubio is much better IMO. Casspi was nice, but Brockman sucked.

i'm so-so on this pick. i really hope evans turns out to be like derrick rose, that would be fantastic. the thing with rubio was, i think he really could've energized the fan base and get people into the seats again (i.e. increase revenues, which is a MUST in this economy). oh well, now i hope he busts. :p

I'm disappointed about Rubio, I think the Kings made a huge mistake in passing him up. Evans has a real high upside, but he's also a huge a risk himself, and that's why I don't understand passing on Rubio. I think he has a much better shot at fulfilling his potential than Evans does. So it's not so much Evans that I'm disappointed with, but rather that they passed up a great opportunity to get a guy that can be a star PG that fills so many of our needs. It'll take me awhile to get over this, I think they made a mistake, and took an unnecessary risk with Evans because Rubio has star upside too. Evans has good upside, but he doesn't have the great athleticism you expect from a guy with supposed star upside. He was a good consolation prize to Rubio, but Rubio is much better IMO. Casspi was nice, but Brockman sucked.

I feel the exact same way, add to the fact that I don't think Evans can play PG in the NBA

piksi

Hall of Famer
I like that GP was put in the situation to make a difficult choice. He made a wrong one here. Rubio has everything to be a really, really good PG. I was excited about possibility to finally have a PG who can average a double double. It would have been great for JT and Kevin and Spencer because they would get easier shots. I don't know what kind of offense we will play but I predict - fugly.

First couple seasons Evans might be more effective but down the road Rubio can be something special. I hope - I am wrong but I doubt it.

At first,

I was upset that we did not get Rubio,

but now after watching some video of him and listening to Petrie,

I cant wait to see him at opening night at Arco.

I like that GP was put in the situation to make a difficult choice. He made a wrong one here. Rubio has everything to be a really, really good PG. I was excited about possibility to finally have a PG who can average a double double. It would have been great for JT and Kevin and Spencer because they would get easier shots. I don't know what kind of offense we will play but I predict - fugly.

First couple seasons Evans might be more effective but down the road Rubio can be something special. I hope - I am wrong but I doubt it.
I dont understand how this could be though. BPA was not certain. If you factor in need, style, and BPA, the clear choice is Rubio. This kidd has once in a decade vision.

I sat watching the entire draft waiting for some possible trade of Evans and Rubio + something good. I felt so disgusted. I feel disgusted by the Kings. Something tastes horrible in my mouth and I cant spit it out.

I'm glad I made this a public poll because I honestly think some of you who are disappointed now will be very happy to admit you were wrong down the road. :)
I really hope I am wrong.

I have watched highlights of Evens and I am pretty excited about drafting him now. I just really wanted Rubio on our team.

For all the dissappointing fans:

Geoff Petrie has clearly shown that he is a great scout for NBA potential draft picks. He has always got the best talent at our number every time except the Douby pick. People thought KMart would suck...didnt. Same for Thompson...same for peja... Tyreke WILL and IS a better player than Rubio. Rubio might bring more of a crowd but what has he done? His numbers arent that great, he is just a bunch of youtibe highlights. Anybody can just get the best of a player with some highlights put together.

I would rather have :

Strength, toughness, wing span, getting to rim ability, bit of leadership over passing, IQ,

Rubio has no strength, shooting ability, not an athlete

Tyreke can get it done

Entity

Hall of Famer
I am very happy with Evans he is the POINT GUARD I wanted. unlike others, had we gotten Rubio or Flynn I would have been fine with that and not went on a 6 hour bashing of the guys I will be watching for the next 3 years at least.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

yes, Petrie was put in a difficult situation. the Sacramento Bee had done everything but change the name of the sports section to the "Rubio Report" to drum up excitement in the kid from Spain. Voisin was so effusive in her praise I'm sure Peja was jealous. The media grabbed on to the concept of Rubio with both hands and wouldn't let go.

BUT Petrie isn't in this to make the Sacramento Bee happy. I'm sure it must have been tempting to take the easy way out - to draft the player for whom, by all reports, fan support was running high.

But Petrie DIDN'T take the easy way out, at least as far as making the popular pick was concerned. He looked at Evans and he liked what he saw. And after hearing about all of Evans' workouts I can understand why. I'm not going to knock Rubio in order to sell Evans but I am going to say that I think Evans will be able to play at a much higher level in his rookie year than Rubio. Rubio's eventual upside MIGHT be better, but there's no way to know.

As far as Rubio averaging a double-double, what stats are you thinking about because he certanly isn't much of a shooter. He's not brawny enough to consistently take boards away and I'm thinking he's not gonna be blocking many shots. That leaves assists and steals and I don't think he can get double digit steals on a regular basis.

I was on the Rubio bandwagon and would not have been disappointed if we had chosen him but I think there are a number of valid reasons why we didn't.

What happens down the road doesn't matter if your car goes over a cliff before it can get further down the road. I believe that Petrie took the player he thought could help his young team NOW. We're not headed back to the playoffs in a real hurry so I think he did the right thing.

Bottom line is you can see the kind of player Evans will most likely be - and there is every indication he can play an adequate point guard. With Rubio there were simply too many questions. If there weren't, he would have been gone right after Griffin.

Did Rubio even come close to averaging a double double in Europe?????

I dont understand how this could be though. BPA was not certain. If you factor in need, style, and BPA, the clear choice is Rubio. This kidd has once in a decade vision.

I sat watching the entire draft waiting for some possible trade of Evans and Rubio + something good. I felt so disgusted. I feel disgusted by the Kings. Something tastes horrible in my mouth and I cant spit it out.
Agree. I was sitting there waiting for Rubio to get traded to, but never happened. I still don't see both Rubio and Flynn playing in Minn, and Rubio's dad said they would go back to europe for 1-2 yrs before signing with Minn. I like Evans, but with Kevin already established on this team, Rubio is a better fit.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
And to add my $.02... the Kings still desperately need a star. Not necessarily a PG... but a star. I think Evans has the best chance out of anyone in this draft to be a star. We had a chance to draft Rubio and passed... I'd have to think Petrie knows what he's doing. After the initial shock wears off, I think most of us will be happy about this pick in the long run.

Abstotutely. My view as well.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
rainmaker - With the ever-soft Martin already established on the team, having Evans at the point is actually the MUCH BETTER fit.

I think Tyreke will be fantastic. I just worry about how much of a PG he will be in the NBA. If he ends up being a good enough SG does that mean we trade Kevin at the end of this next season? Who would be this great PG available at the end of this next season?

For all the dissappointing fans:

Geoff Petrie has clearly shown that he is a great scout for NBA potential draft picks. He has always got the best talent at our number every time except the Douby pick. People thought KMart would suck...didnt. Same for Thompson...same for peja... Tyreke WILL and IS a better player than Rubio. Rubio might bring more of a crowd but what has he done? His numbers arent that great, he is just a bunch of youtibe highlights. Anybody can just get the best of a player with some highlights put together.

I would rather have :

Strength, toughness, wing span, getting to rim ability, bit of leadership over passing, IQ,

Rubio has no strength, shooting ability, not an athlete

Tyreke can get it done
Dude, if you like Evans more than Rubio, fine, but there's no need to unjustifiably bash Rubio. You've obviously never seen him play.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I think Tyreke will be fantastic. I just worry about how much of a PG he will be in the NBA. If he ends up being a good enough SG does that mean we trade Kevin at the end of this next season? Who would be this great PG available at the end of this next season?
Let's just trade Kevin for the #1 and take John Wall. :D

The best way I can describe the situation is this: Petrie drafted a good player, but made a bad pick.

Also, we have drafted swingmen/combo guards for four out of the past six years. Beyond that, we have acquired two other swingmen through trades. I won't include McCants, as I consider him a salary dump.

As far as Rubio averaging a double-double, what stats are you thinking about because he certanly isn't much of a shooter. He's not brawny enough to consistently take boards away and I'm thinking he's not gonna be blocking many shots. That leaves assists and steals and I don't think he can get double digit steals on a regular basis.
Evan's isnt any better of a shooter. How is he supposed to score?

Not sure because I haven't seen him run an NBA team. I'm disappointed Rubio wont be here and get some excitement back. But enough smart people thought he was the best available player at #4. So I'll be open minded and see if he's all that. I cant wait for the Vegas Summer League games!

No one has seen him play buddy. Only in the olympics has people seen him but he did not impress anybody. People have only seen him in youtube highlights.
People have watched the World Championships and Olympics and international play. How is that any less an example than one freshman season and a tourney?

People have watched the World Championships and Olympics and international play. How is that any less an example than one freshman season and a tourney?
Yeah that is true that peopel have watched him in the olympics and can you tell me what his numbers were? They were not that great.

Tyreke was hte leader of his team as a freshman and proved he can learn quickly. He can handle the ball just as well as Rubio but probably cant pass as well. I would rather take atheletism, size, ability to get to rim, and wing span over passing and IQ ability.

No one has seen him play buddy. Only in the olympics has people seen him but he did not impress anybody. People have only seen him in youtube highlights.
Well, it's not like I've seen a plethora of his games, but I've watched at least 10 games of his. So I think you're making extremely unfair and very patronizing assumptions about those who wanted Rubio. That's beside the point though, you're making definitive statements about Rubio's game when you've admittedly haven't seen him play much. Make a real argument that is fair towards Rubio's game and his supporters or just stick to saying what you like about Evans.

Tyreake isn't as athletic as you may think he is. He's not Dwade athletic or Kobe athletic. Rubio also has size for PG. He plays defense as well. Evans is probably a better finisher, but Rubio can get to the FT line as well.

Evans has more muscle and general body size.

Well, it's not like I've seen a plethora of his games, but I've watched at least 10 games of his. So I think you're making extremely unfair and very patronizing assumptions about those who wanted Rubio. That's beside the point though, you're making definitive statements about Rubio's game when you've admittedly haven't seen him play much. Make a real argument that is fair towards Rubio's game and his supporters or just stick to saying what you like about Evans.
Which games did you watch of his and how did Rubio play? Rubio has not shown anythign spectacular offensively except a bunch of highlights of flashy passing ability.

Evans has NBA type body and length to add to his tough rim finishing skills.