Evans vs Salmons

Could some please explain to me how Tyreke Evans differs from John Salmons? As I see it they have very similar games. Maybe an Evans without the attitude would be a plus.

Not to mention the great court vision, and potential this kid has.

Salmons was drafted late in the first round as a SENIOR. Evans is a lottery pick as a FRESHMAN.

Could some please explain to me how Tyreke Evans differs from John Salmons? As I see it they have very similar games. Maybe an Evans without the attitude would be a plus.
I raised this question before and had some time to think about it. My conclusion is that Evans at age 19 is similar to Salmons at age 29. Now Salmons has reached his peak, Evans' game is still growing.

So imagine if Salmons is 19 instead of 29, coachable and not a headcase. Then imagine how good that he can be 4-5 years from now. We're talking about a 23 ppg 6 asst 6 rebounds 46%FG type of guard. We're talking about someone who can be as good as Penny Hardaway was in his prime.

I don't know if he will be a PG, but I know he's going to be better than Rubio/Flynn/Holiday/Curry when you look back at this draft.

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
Thats gonna be some D if he puts effort into it. And he's been quoted already as saying he wants to make all nba defensive team yearly.

My disappointment in not getting Rubio is greatly eclipsed by my excitement about Tyreke.

Whens summer league?!??!

As you see what exactly? This guy has been a star in the making since he was 8 years old. He is a bonafide killer off the dribble and with the wingspan he has not even Yao Ming himself can prevent Tryreke the Freak from getting to the rim. Trust me when I say that this guy will lead our team to Division Titles, Conference Titles and an NBA title. This guy destroyed his opponents all year and quite simply looked like a man playing against boys. Similar to that of a Blake Griffin and Kevin Durant when they were in college. For you to have the audacity to compare this kid at 19 to John Salmons is ludacris. He has been better than Salmons since he was 16. He is that good. Trust me...he will win the rookie of the year award. As far as his attitude goes....it is swagger. Swagger was made famous in Sactown by none other than C-Webb. The Glory Years are coming back my friend and they started today.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Actually I'm worried about Yao.

Tyreke doesnt seem to be a strong finisher. Maybe I gotta watch more clips of him, but he seemed to lay it in far more often then he dunked it.

I like his combination of skills, size, good athletism, and freaky crazy length though. I dont think rookie of the year is out of the question.

I think we are forgetting that Griffin is the most likely to be ROY. I'm fine with Evans, but don't get too carried away. I'm just glad the Kings will likely get some games on national TV this coming sesaon, because of Evans.

Why is there so much doubt on Evans before even summer league.

Remember all the bashing on JT initially?

Look, Evans worked out for the Kings twice. And Rubio worked out for the Kings and the Kings only. He also spent the most time with the Kings by far. Of the potential 3 teams that could've picked him and passed up, the Kings have the most knowledge of Rubio to make a good decision. If they choose to do so, there has to be a reason why they picked Evans over Rubio.

Evans is not a Salmons. Salmons shoots himself and thats it. Salmons is not as great a slasher or ball hander as Evans. There are a lot of differences. Give the kid a chance.

Tyreke doesnt seem to be a strong finisher. Maybe I gotta watch more clips of him, but he seemed to lay it in far more often then he dunked it.

I like his combination of skills, size, good athletism, and freaky crazy length though. I dont think rookie of the year is out of the question.

Trust me man...he will finish at the rim...and why dunk the ball when the lay in is a more fundamentally sound play? How many times have you seen guys go in for a highlight reel jam and either get it blocked or miss the jam all together. He has been on the national radar since he was 8...just like Lebron and Kobe...and like those players, they rise their level of play above the competition...This is what Tyreke has done his whole career to this point. This will be a great pick.

I thought it was a mix of Michael Dickerson/John Salmons. Taking the best from both of them. Still does not equal a PG, but it could give the Kings a nice SG in the future. Evans is a strong player who can get his own shot just like Salmons. Evans can also handle the ball with both hands, and defend the perimeter like Dickerson can. Evans isn't a good shooter like Dickerson, and Salmons though, but is more explosive than the both of them.

As for things like making others better and court vision he is below average (if you look at him as a PG) . He does turn the ball over when double teamed on a consistent basis..

If looking at him as a SG I would say that the above really doesn't matter much because he wouldn't be called on as the distributor. But then again where would he get his minutes from if we kept Martin?

I think we are forgetting that Griffin is the most likely to be ROY. I'm fine with Evans, but don't get too carried away. I'm just glad the Kings will likely get some games on national TV this coming sesaon, because of Evans.
They do get the token 1 game from ESPN/TNT/TBS right? Not sure which network will showcase the 1 Kings game. But Evans alone won't be getting us exposure. Winning will.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Trust me man...he will finish at the rim...and why dunk the ball when the lay in is a more fundamentally sound play? How many times have you seen guys go in for a highlight reel jam and either get it blocked or miss the jam all together. He has been on the national radar since he was 8...just like Lebron and Kobe...and like those players, they rise their level of play above the competition...This is what Tyreke has done his whole career to this point. This will be a great pick.
J-Smoove comes to mind. Haha.

I'm optimistic though, I think we got us a winner here as well. Plus Evans is endorsed by Obama! :p

I agree with everyone saying he isnt our PG of the future though. But I think Martin may be expendable next offseason. I can see Evans as a legit 18/5/5 guy. And considering his wingspan I think we can throw a block and a couple steals in per game for good measure.

They do get the token 1 game from ESPN/TNT/TBS right? Not sure which network will showcase the 1 Kings game. But Evans alone won't be getting us exposure. Winning will.
We had exactly zero games last year on national TV. Zero. However, they do seem to try and get in some of the higher draft picks.

Evans isn't a guy that will be throwing down facials on centers in every game. That's just not his game. He's not Gerald Wallace. He penetrates, gets by his man, and then lays it up.

Why is there so much doubt on Evans before even summer league.

Remember all the bashing on JT initially?

Look, Evans worked out for the Kings twice. And Rubio worked out for the Kings and the Kings only. He also spent the most time with the Kings by far. Of the potential 3 teams that could've picked him and passed up, the Kings have the most knowledge of Rubio to make a good decision. If they choose to do so, there has to be a reason why they picked Evans over Rubio.

Evans is not a Salmons. Salmons shoots himself and thats it. Salmons is not as great a slasher or ball hander as Evans. There are a lot of differences. Give the kid a chance.

Summer league is in like 2 weeks. This is Evans style of play. If he doesn't average 25+ ppg it will be a disappointment.

J

jdbraver

Evans is much stronger than Salmons. He won't drop his production when he is relegated to the bench. After the first month in the regular season people will be saying "Ricky who?"

Evans is much stronger than Salmons. He won't drop his production when he is relegated to the bench. After the first month in the regular season people will be saying "Ricky who?"
Maybe but in 5 years, people will be saying "Hey remember when we passed on a Top 5 PG for our 6th man?" ... :rolleyes:

gunks

Hall of Famer
Or Rubio could bust out.

Word is he isnt even coming over now.

Rubio had a lot of question marks. Granted his ceiling is higher than that of Evans, but so is his potential to not make it in the NBA. Shakey shot, not an athlete by any means.

Petrie scouted him like crazy, didnt like what he saw I guess. Or maybe Evans was just THAT good.

It could easily go either way.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Or Rubio could bust out.

Word is he isnt even coming over now.

Rubio had a lot of question marks. Granted his ceiling is higher than that of Evans, but so is his potential to not make it in the NBA. Shakey shot, not an athlete by any means.

Petrie scouted him like crazy, didnt like what he saw I guess. Or maybe Evans was just THAT good.

It could easily go either way.
I think that Evans is just that good. I will admit that I was torn between Rubio and Evans. I kept hoping that the basketball god's would make it easy on us and only one of them would be available. Lets face it. The Kings need a lot of things, but they probably need toughness more than anything. And Evans is tougher than Rubio. The Kings need assists, and Rubio certainly would have helped in that department. But they also need a guy that wants the ball when the game is on the line, and doesn't need anyone else to help him get his shot. I just don't see Rubio when I think of that. But I did see Evans.

As far as the Salmons comparison. Evans does something when he has the ball in his hands. He doesn't dribble the ball for 15 minutes of the shot clock before deciding. I think it was a good pick. I wouldn't have been unhappy with Rubio either.