How do you feel about picking Evans?

How do you feel about us picking Tyreke Evans?

• Total voters
Put me down as flat out disappointed. 6'4" Rubio is such a unique, sensational pure PG talent he had to be pick at #4. Evans is a 6'5" combo guard who might be a solid NBA player but unlikely ever reach big time stardom (and definitely not superstar) in the league. I suspected he was Petrie's choice when the Sergio Rodriguez deal was announced. Beno and Sergio are PG's and will be playing lots of minutes running the team next season. I doubt 19-year-old Evans plays very much his first year (at least early) - and maybe more SG than PG. The upcoming pick #23 could be telling - forget #38 unless one in a million miracle happens.

I can see Evans being a rookie of the year and the Kings being stuck in the middle of the lottery for years. I can see Rubio struggling as a rookie but then making his team legit later down the road.
And honestly I agree 100 % with this statement. I think people are so focused on "ooh, we can win 10 more games this year and in 2 years make the playoffs.." and "Rubio is not a sure thing..."

Well, guess what? Evans is going to be a very good player. He will help our team.

But when Rubio develops, he will put his team over the top. He will be a difference-maker.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The difference between me and them is that I know a lot more about what I'm talking about than they do..
I mean no offense whatsoever, but that statement is absurd. You have no idea of the backgrounds of a lot of the people on this board.

Have a good night.

Put me down as flat out disappointed. 6'4" Rubio is such a unique, sensational pure PG talent he had to be pick at #4. Evans is a 6'5" combo guard who might be a solid NBA player but unlikely ever reach big time stardom (and definitely not superstar) in the league.
The fact of the matter is that Tyreke Evans types are in the draft EVERY year, Rubios only come once in a blue moon. We had him fall into our lap and we handed him to Minnesota. It's a sad fact.

And honestly I agree 100 % with this statement. I think people are so focused on "ooh, we can win 10 more games this year and in 2 years make the playoffs.." and "Rubio is not a sure thing..."

Well, guess what? Evans is going to be a very good player. He will help our team.

But when Rubio develops, he will put his team over the top. He will be a difference-maker.
Well if Rubio develops into a star.

The fact of the matter is that Tyreke Evans types are in the draft EVERY year, Rubios only come once in a blue moon. We had him fall into our lap and we handed him to Minnesota. It's a sad fact.
Absolutely - and that's why I can't believe it happened. Hopefully, Eric Maynor or something decent is around at #23 so I dont do double shots rest of the night:confused:

I mean no offense whatsoever, but that statement is absurd. You have no idea of the backgrounds of a lot of the people on this board.

Have a good night.
Uhh

We're comparing post and thought process qualities, not life stories.

You have a good night, too.

Really happy about this... Evans is imo the 2nd best player in this draft. I was hoping Stern would call his name but figuring he'd call Rubio's... happy I was wrong. Evans is a beast, somewhere between a Rodney Stuckey and Dwayne Wade I hope.

A

AriesMar27

sigh.... evans may become the new shelden williams of this draft. everyone will be talking about how we passed up on rubio when we needed a pg.

I was really dissapointed to hear Tyreke Evans' name instead of Rubio's at #4. When he fell to us I thought it was destiny.

I really hope Evans can prove himself worthy of the 4 pick

gunks

Hall of Famer
Pretty happy.

Rubio fit our needs better, but Evans argueably has the highest potential out of any prospect in this draft.

Plus months ago when he was switched to PG at memphis and started beasting I suggested picking him up in our unfortunately named "..and with the #1 pick" draft thread (although I think at the time I suggested doing so with the 23rd pick haha)...So....CALLED IT!!! :p

As long as he's not the next Salmons I'm going to be thrilled with this pick. Dude has a 6'11 wingspan too...I sense he isnt going to be quite the seive on D that Martin is.

I'm pretty disappointed, not because I think Evans is going to be a bad ballplayer, but because our roster has been a mess for a few years now, and we just passed on a chance to start fixing it. The only positions we totally didn't need to fill, which are also easiest to fill on the FA market (SG and SF) are the ones we drafted.

I like the pickup of Rodriguez, but that's the only thing today that I haven't found disturbing.

Back to the "all shooter" rut, I guess.

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
I also think Evans was the safe pick.

Rubio would have been our swing for the fences. Which a lot of us want, but Petrie is in a contract year, and even more telling is that the Kings franchise is at an alltime low. We cant afford a bust at pick #4, and Rubio has more of a chance to bust then Evans.

Petrie scouted Rubio overseas. I'm kinda dissappointed we didnt get Rubio, but if Petrie didnt like what he saw then I guess he didnt like what he saw. I'm going to remain optimistic and excited about Evans, rather then bummed we didnt get RR.

I admit I was secretly rooting for Rubio and felt very lucky when he became available at #4. I liked the international fanbase, razzle dazzle tempo, and television coverage he would bring to the team.

Then I came across Darko today in a feature on the biggest busts of the NBA draft, and I couldn't help thinking of the young dazzling superstar he was when he entered... I was also less than impressed when Rubio came all the way to Sacramento and couldn't play because he was tired and didn't feel well. Do you think that would have stopped...oh Idunno...Dwane Wayde??

I have confidence in this choice because Petrie and Westphal worked out both, knowing their team and the demands of the job better than any of us on our best days. Petrie could have made the popular choice but he made what he believed was the best choice. That's usually when he's at his best.

Do you remember how this board reacted when Spencer Hawes was picked not so long ago? Not so differently... Have a little faith people.

Mizzou King

We play a bad one on one style of basketball, I was hoping for a player who would make his teammates better as his primary attribute.

Why does everyone keep on saying we need a point guard, we should've drafted a pg etc.
Probably because the last 2 PGs we took in the first round were Bobby Hurley and JWill, but we've taken about a dozen shooters during that time, and a lot of us are pretty sick of it.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
What about Ricky Rubio would give this team an identity?
I think we were going to rename the team to the Sacramento Rubios. We would paint a big Spanish flag in two corners of the court and play Spain's national anthem at the start of each game. Also there were plans for a Tapas bar in the main concourse but those have since been nixed in favor of a falafel joint.

L

Lafayette

I think that people wanted Rubio because he was another Euro for Sacramento. I like the kid but Tyreke is what we were missing, a second scorer. He'll be a beast, he's what we needed.

Tyreke
Kevin
Nocioni
Thompson
Hawes

Yes, thats a team that I'm excited for.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I think that people wanted Rubio because he was another Euro for Sacramento. I like the kid but Tyreke is what we were missing, a second scorer. He'll be a beast, he's what we needed.

Tyreke
Kevin
Nocioni
Thompson
Hawes

And maybe in a season or 2:

Tyreke
Kevin
Greene
JT
Hawes

That there is a BIG lineup.

Tyreke
Kevin
Nocioni
Thompson
Hawes

Yea, that sure looks like a 21-25 game winning season.

I liked Petrie's comment that Evans was consistent from the first interview to last, that he wanted to play in Sacramento. I know some will say he was just saying that, but he had to know he was going pretty high in the draft. So I don't think he needed to say that. to any team.

I honestly had more reservations about drafting Rubio than any of the other of the top PG's except Jennings.

I personally hoped that he would be drafted by the time Kings selected their pick. I was in Arco when Harden was picked at #3 and the Rubio chants began. I knew if Rubios name was not called it would be viewed as a tragedy. I thankfully was one of the few who was pleasantly surprised when I heard Evans name called instead.

Personally I can't wait to read Voisons article bashing Petrie like she used to beat up on CWEBB. Fortunate for those of us who always found her articles about Peja's muscular biceps driving through the lane disturbing. Lord only knows what she would have conjured up for the new fresh piece of European meat.

Over the past few months I tried and tried to understand what all the hype was about. I loved his passing in the open floor but I always felt there to be too many glaring weaknesses in his game. I think Evans will be the better player in the long run. Even if he doesn't have the fan appeal that Rubio would have.

I need a reason to buy a King's Jersey. He better be a ROY candidate. 5 time all-star and finals MVP.

I expect nothing less.

First impression was "where is he going to get minutes.."

Second impression was "oh god I hope they don't try to play him at PG full time"