More hope...... maybe I shouldn't (Rubio rumor)

I keep seeing this idea brought up, and just don't get it. Not only are you creating a hole at PF, it would be for a player that might be a star PG in the NBA. With Thompson we have a solid PF who could turn into a very good PF for years to come. You don't trade that for a player who may or may not be a star PG.
Yeah, that's my issue too. We know JT is still developing and has proven he can play in this league. Rubio hasn't. That's not to say he couldn't be a very good player, just that we know we will have a very solid frontcourt for years to come and trading one roster hole for another is a risk. If it works, GP is a genious. If not, then he's a moron and the Kings suffer in the future.

Yeah, that's my issue too. We know JT is still developing and has proven he can play in this league. Rubio hasn't. That's not to say he couldn't be a very good player, just that we know we will have a very solid frontcourt for years to come and trading one roster hole for another is a risk. If it works, GP is a genious. If not, then he's a moron and the Kings suffer in the future.
Yeah. Now that Griffin is out of the question, so is trading Thompson. Lets get used to Thompson and Hawes as our front court because I believe we will be seeing them for many years to come.

New developments out of the Wizards camp via SI.

yes

According to Thomsen, the Wizards are looking to TRADE the 5th pick, but not for Rubio. Their owner feels that their team can compete in the east with a healthy Arenas and a developing Young and McGee.

The Wiz are looking to get under the luxury tax, so they will look to trade Mike James along with the 5th for some relief.

Good news on two fronts; Kings should be free to draft Rubio assuming OKC a) doesn't take him and b) doesn't swap picks with somebody who would really want him. Thabeet to the Grizz nearly looks like a done deal at this point, and this is coming from the Grizzlies camp.

The Kings should be in a position to take Rubio, and could potentially attempt to secure the 5th pick as well. Maybe a guy like Kenny Thomas and cash considerations (do we still have that trade exception available?) for Stevenson and the 5th could possibly get the deal done. I don't know that there is anybody the Kings would really like at the five spot, but it does translate to more buying power as a team. They could turn that 5 pick into 2 later first round picks (5 and 31 for 16 and 26, which belong to the Bulls), and fill some positions with guys like Jeff Teague, Jrue Holliday, Ty Lawson, James Johnson, Earl Clark, Austin Daye, Tyler Hansbrough. (why not?)

Realistically, none of this is going to happen. But it is plenty of fun to speculate.

My ideal scenario:
Kings take Rubio at 4.
Kings trade K9 and about 1.5 mil in cash for 5 pick and DeShawn Stevenson
Kings THEN move the number 5 and number 31 to Chicago for number 16 and 26.
-or-
Rubio @ 4, get the 5th pick
and trade the 5th to Minnesota for the 18 and the 28th.

possible? Didn't really check the numbers, but if Petrie is aggressive enough, it could happen. I know it is a weak draft in terms of NBA-ready talent, but that is not to say that there isn't a whole lot of potential with some of these picks.

Why for Washington? It might not put them under the cap right away, but you are talking about shaving about 2.5 mil off of what they have right now. K9 is an expiring, so thay would be under the cap next season. If they wanted to do Songaila for K9, they would end up saving about 3.5 million, but Darius is actually valuable to that team.

Why for Chicago?
I think they only do this if OKC doesn't take Hill at the 3. They get a chance to move up and take a post scorer, which they have craved... for a while now. They are also shopping Tyrus Thomas, feeling that Noah is a better player but they are redundant.

Why for Minnesota?
They want both Jennings and Evans, and if they played their cards right, they could potentially get both. They also like Harden here if OKC takes Hill. Minnesota is one of the teams that would definitely like two lottery picks in this draft. They have their eye on a lot of prospects, like Jennings, Evans, and DeRozan.

It would also be nice if the Kings would try to buy some second round picks, possibly from the Wizards, Pistons, Bobcats, or Suns and get guys like AJ Price, Jodie Meeks, Danny Green, Victor Claver, Dionte Christmas.

Anyway, just a few musings.

Unless something else develops as far as a trade offer containing a major star i would say yes.

then that leaves memphis and OKC. i hope petrie is high on rubio.. with petries last contract with the kings i expect him to be uber aggressive now..

an early 2nd round pick that we waste + 23rd with donte and kt is good enough to swing a trade with memphis probably.. cause were not going to be really big players in the 2010 free agency...

Last edited:
New developments out of the Wizards camp via SI.

yes

According to Thomsen, the Wizards are looking to TRADE the 5th pick, but not for Rubio. Their owner feels that their team can compete in the east with a healthy Arenas and a developing Young and McGee.

The Wiz are looking to get under the luxury tax, so they will look to trade Mike James along with the 5th for some relief.

Good news on two fronts; Kings should be free to draft Rubio assuming OKC a) doesn't take him and b) doesn't swap picks with somebody who would really want him. Thabeet to the Grizz nearly looks like a done deal at this point, and this is coming from the Grizzlies camp.

The Kings should be in a position to take Rubio, and could potentially attempt to secure the 5th pick as well. Maybe a guy like Kenny Thomas and cash considerations (do we still have that trade exception available?) for Stevenson and the 5th could possibly get the deal done. I don't know that there is anybody the Kings would really like at the five spot, but it does translate to more buying power as a team. They could turn that 5 pick into 2 later first round picks (5 and 31 for 16 and 26, which belong to the Bulls), and fill some positions with guys like Jeff Teague, Jrue Holliday, Ty Lawson, James Johnson, Earl Clark, Austin Daye, Tyler Hansbrough. (why not?)

Realistically, none of this is going to happen. But it is plenty of fun to speculate.

My ideal scenario:
Kings take Rubio at 4.
Kings trade K9 and about 1.5 mil in cash for 5 pick and DeShawn Stevenson
Kings THEN move the number 5 and number 31 to Chicago for number 16 and 26.
-or-
Rubio @ 4, get the 5th pick
and trade the 5th to Minnesota for the 18 and the 28th.

possible? Didn't really check the numbers, but if Petrie is aggressive enough, it could happen. I know it is a weak draft in terms of NBA-ready talent, but that is not to say that there isn't a whole lot of potential with some of these picks.

Why for Washington? It might not put them under the cap right away, but you are talking about shaving about 2.5 mil off of what they have right now. K9 is an expiring, so thay would be under the cap next season. If they wanted to do Songaila for K9, they would end up saving about 3.5 million, but Darius is actually valuable to that team.

Why for Chicago?
I think they only do this if OKC doesn't take Hill at the 3. They get a chance to move up and take a post scorer, which they have craved... for a while now. They are also shopping Tyrus Thomas, feeling that Noah is a better player but they are redundant.

Why for Minnesota?
They want both Jennings and Evans, and if they played their cards right, they could potentially get both. They also like Harden here if OKC takes Hill. Minnesota is one of the teams that would definitely like two lottery picks in this draft. They have their eye on a lot of prospects, like Jennings, Evans, and DeRozan.

It would also be nice if the Kings would try to buy some second round picks, possibly from the Wizards, Pistons, Bobcats, or Suns and get guys like AJ Price, Jodie Meeks, Danny Green, Victor Claver, Dionte Christmas.

Anyway, just a few musings.
That's good news. I was hearing other rumors the Wizards and OKC were in trade talks for exchanging the 5 and McGee for the 3. Also I don't think we need to buy some second round guys. Petrie doesn't do well with second rounders and the Maloofs are trying to keep as much money as possible.

That's good news. I was hearing other rumors the Wizards and OKC were in trade talks for exchanging the 5 and McGee for the 3. Also I don't think we need to buy some second round guys. Petrie doesn't do well with second rounders and the Maloofs are trying to keep as much money as possible.
he doesnt give them much value... he uses them as bodies in summer league then drop em off.. what kind of frustrated me last year was we could have traded both picks for a late first rounder..

then that leaves memphis and OKC. i hope petrie is high on rubio.. with petries last contract with the kings i expect him to be uber aggressive now..

an early 2nd round pick that we waste + 23rd with donte and kt is good enough to swing a trade with memphis probably.. cause were not going to be really big players in the 2010 free agency...
Why are people so fasinated with Petrie's contract?

He has an open ended offer to extend it any time he wants. The Maloofs have said the job is his a long as he wants it. Petrie will do everything the same way he always has.

I really like the idea of buying up picks from Memphis or the Wizards. The way I look at it is like this is we have a real opportunity to own this draft and we can essentially treat it like our free agency. To be honest there's not that many good free agent's this year in 09 and rookies make less money than a FA would why not dominate the draft? Also people keep talking about this being a weak draft. No one knows that yet known of these players have played a second in the NBA and they easily could turn out to be stars or excellent players don't write off the draft just yet. If we buy up picks make trades etc. How does Rubio a Terrance Williams, Wayne Ellington, and others sound? I like the prospects in this draft and if we do get multiple picks with players like I mentioned before not them specifically, but I do like them we will be pretty deep next year. We only have 8 players on contract so more picks and trades are needed. Rid ourselves of Nocioni hopefully Beno and Thomas or Garcia and we are talking now

Why are people so fasinated with Petrie's contract?

He has an open ended offer to extend it any time he wants. The Maloofs have said the job is his a long as he wants it. Petrie will do everything the same way he always has.
Exactly. GP's not going anywhere. It's silly to say he's on his last contract. If he doesn't accept an extension, which Maloofs have said he can have anytime, it'll be because he's ready to go.

Why do people keep saying he doesn't do well with 2nd rounders? He's traded quite a few away, as I recollect and until last year, our second rounders were in the last half of the second round. Not worth much and you're not likely to find much there.

Exactly. GP's not going anywhere. It's silly to say he's on his last contract. If he doesn't accept an extension, which Maloofs have said he can have anytime, it'll be because he's ready to go.

Why do people keep saying he doesn't do well with 2nd rounders? He's traded quite a few away, as I recollect and until last year, our second rounders were in the last half of the second round. Not worth much and you're not likely to find much there.
just worried with the contract not being extended.. hes a good GM and i know he will resign again since he actually isnt quite finished with the rebuild..

P

PoundForPound

Kings may still get Rubio

Rubio's agent wants him in either Sacramento or L.A. The Clippers have already stated that they're drafting Blake Griffin, though.

http://www.realgm.com/src_feature/1519/20090522/rubio_bobcats_and_cavs_magic/

by Brandon Hoffman

There's been some talk recently about Ricky Rubio using his $8.3 million contract buyout to avoid being drafted by the Memphis Grizzlies or Oklahoma City Thunder. Super agent Aaron Goodwin isn't buying it. "A general manager and an owner are not going to succumb to an agent saying, 'If you select my player he's not going to come here,' " Goodwin said. "If a GM does, he won't be a GM much longer."

That may be true, but this sort of thing isn't exactly unprecedented, as Rubio's agent, Don Fegan, has tried to manipulate his client's draft position before. In 2007, Fegan let the Milwaukee Bucks know in no uncertain terms that Yi Jianlian preferred to play elsewhere. The Bucks selected Yi anyways, but Fegan successfully negotiated a trade to the Nets after just one season in Milwaukee.

A source close to Rubio's camp told Draft Express that Fegan wants Rubio "in L.A., and if he can't have him there, he wants him in Sacramento." Both Memphis and Oklahoma City are small market cities so there's reason to believe Fegan would prefer to have Rubio in L.A. or Sacramento for marketing purposes. But there's also some history involved with the Grizzlies. Fellow countrymen Juan Carlos Navarro signed a five-year contract with the Grizzlies before the 2007-08 season, and was so put off by the experience that he went back to Spain after just one season. Navarro played well too. He averaged averaging 10.9 points, 2.6 rebounds, 2.2 assists and made the NBA All-Rookie second team. Money was certainly a factor, as FC Barcelona offered him a contract that Memphis was unwilling to match, but Fegan definitely has some cards to play. Rubio is a wildcard for any team that isn't on Fegan's list because he could very well choose to put his NBA career on hold and wait another year before entering the draft.

i wouldn't expect OKC to draft rubio judging on how good Westbrook played last season. I just think its funny how they would rather have him in Sac, helpful, but funny.

i wouldn't expect OKC to draft rubio judging on how good Westbrook played last season. I just think its funny how they would rather have him in Sac, helpful, but funny.
Drafting a player and keeping that player are two separate things. GM's ultimately want to get the best value out of their pick.

I doubt OKC would keep Rubio though. IMO Rubio and Westbrook together would not work out well for them. Westbrook pretty much only wants to play PG and that is where he is most effective. So even if they draft him, I could still see us getting him in a trade.

I doubt OKC would keep Rubio though. IMO Rubio and Westbrook together would not work out well for them. Westbrook pretty much only wants to play PG and that is where he is most effective. So even if they draft him, I could still see us getting him in a trade.
Agreed, too many players who need the ball in their hands and too few shooters in the starting lineup. I could see Presti doing it as it could work long term, but I would have a hard time imagining the Thunder being any better next year with two guards who can't shoot.

Now, I could see them trying to work out a trade with us to move down a pick, get Harden and pick up an extra pick (#23 or #31).

Yeah, they wouldn't likely pick Rubio to keep him, but they can trade down with us and get something extra. So, OKC would be better trade partners than Memphis because we can whoever OKC would truly like to have. However if Memphis takes Rubio (which IMO is still the likely scenario) it will be much harder for us to work a deal because Thabeet seems to be their favorite alternative to Rubio and OKC likely snatches him up before our pick. I doubt they trade Rubio for Jordan Hill and some late picks, they may rather want the 4th as well as one our young bigs or future first round picks.

Yeah, they wouldn't likely pick Rubio to keep him, but they can trade down with us and get something extra. So, OKC would be better trade partners than Memphis because we can whoever OKC would truly like to have. However if Memphis takes Rubio (which IMO is still the likely scenario) it will be much harder for us to work a deal because Thabeet seems to be their favorite alternative to Rubio and OKC likely snatches him up before our pick. I doubt they trade Rubio for Jordan Hill and some late picks, they may rather want the 4th as well as one our young bigs or future first round picks.

I think they would.. They would have their choice of Hill or Harden (and I think either player would help cement their lineup and core). They do need size, and a defensive/toughness presence that Hill could bring, and even Harden. I think realizing this anything they gain on top of our #4 is a plus for them... We mainly have to hope one of those players wows them in workouts and makes them not want to gamble dropping lower then #4 to pick one of them up...

They might not end up dealing with us though, whoever takes Rubio and is looking to trade him they're looking to get back the value of a no.2 pick talent. Rubio is going to be wanted around the league.

who says

Geoff's enamored with Rubio? I like him, but he does have some shortcomings on paper at least. Shooting probs I don't care about, but his quickness (laterality) and thin build could give him some probs with guys like Baron Davis, Billups...etc. Does he have enough game to make up for it or make them pay on the other end? Hope so, but we don't know what Geoff is thinking. He may love Jennings or Holiday as their athleticism is something the Kings obviously need. I saw GP last tues the day he came home from Spain, and for whatever it was worth he seemed in good spirits........Petries got a job in Sac as long as he wants it. Unless the meddling owners drive him out or he's ready to retire. I think he turned down the extension last year as a message to the Maloofs to let him do his business...or else. He clearly likes it here, or at least in smaller market/cities given his tenure in Portland also. He could easily have had job in the larger markets if he wished. We just gotta trust GP will draft the player most suited to what he's trying to do..........

To trade him and get better value for their pick. Also, it's possible that the Clippers are willing to trade down to get Rubio.
Well, I doubt it very seriously that OKC would trade Westbrook, he's the real deal there...and unless the Clippers plan on finding a home for Baron Davis, they already have a PG, and are in need of a young big man, with the 3 they have being as banged up as they are: Camby, Kaveman, and Randolph...that's a GREAT frontline if they're all healthy, but Camby isnt getting any younger, and Kaveman is slowing down and getting hurt more frequently. I doubt either one bites on Ricky.