Lotto day countdown!

On the east coast (I'm not on the east coast but whatever:)):

Can't wait for Tuesday! I'm going to be excited no matter what pick we get. It's going to get really fun knowing who has which pick and talking about who we are most likely going to get with our pick.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
We have a 75% chance of not getting the first pick. So, if we get it, it will defy the odds.
Seriously? OK.

We have a 78.5% chance of not getting the second pick, so if we get the second pick, we will also have defied the odds.

We have an 82.3% chance of not getting the third pick, so if we get the third pick, we will also have defied the odds.

We have a 64.2% chance of not getting the fourth pick, so if we get the fourth pick, we will also have defied the odds.

It would appear to the layman that no matter what happens, we will defy the odds. However, as a master of probability, I will point out that there is not an odds-on favorite (better than 50%) for any of the first 6 picks in the draft. Since this is the case, we have to default to the assumption that the team with the best odds will win each draft position. And that's where things start looking up for us. Not only do we have the highest probability of getting the first pick, we also have the highest probability of getting the second pick, and the highest probability of getting the third pick, AND the highest probability of getting the fourth pick. Thus, we do not even have to defy the odds to get FOUR CONSECUTIVE PICKS at the top of the draft! Odds are the fifth pick will belong to the Thunder, and the 6th-14th picks will not change hands. This of course means that the Wizards, Clippers, and Timberwolves will more than likely not get any lottery picks at all. Imagine having to break that news to a fan of those teams.

Yep, we are sitting pretty...

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Seriously? OK.

We have a 78.5% chance of not getting the second pick, so if we get the second pick, we will also have defied the odds.

We have an 82.3% chance of not getting the third pick, so if we get the third pick, we will also have defied the odds.

We have a 64.2% chance of not getting the fourth pick, so if we get the fourth pick, we will also have defied the odds.

It would appear to the layman that no matter what happens, we will defy the odds. However, as a master of probability, I will point out that there is not an odds-on favorite (better than 50%) for any of the first 6 picks in the draft. Since this is the case, we have to default to the assumption that the team with the best odds will win each draft position. And that's where things start looking up for us. Not only do we have the highest probability of getting the first pick, we also have the highest probability of getting the second pick, and the highest probability of getting the third pick, AND the highest probability of getting the fourth pick. Thus, we do not even have to defy the odds to get FOUR CONSECUTIVE PICKS at the top of the draft! Odds are the fifth pick will belong to the Thunder, and the 6th-14th picks will not change hands. This of course means that the Wizards, Clippers, and Timberwolves will more than likely not get any lottery picks at all. Imagine having to break that news to a fan of those teams.

Thanks for going there - I didn't want to have to. ;)

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Seriously? OK.

My statement holds. You can play around with "highest probability", but the fact of the matter is that we have a 75% chance of not getting the first pick, and even you, the "master of probability" cannot change that...

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
My statement holds. You can play around with "highest probability", but the fact of the matter is that we have a 75% chance of not getting the first pick, and even you, the "master of probability" cannot change that...
You seem to have missed the points (though I was being quite sarcastic when I made it, so I can understand that). There really are two points.

1) There is no such thing as an accepted definition for "defying the odds". It's vernacular, not statistics. You appear to have adopted a fairly loose criterion, that is, that if something is less than 50% likely, that its occurrence qualifies as "defying the odds". I don't find 25% so particularly unlikely, but it's totally subjective.

2) In the scenario here (a lottery) exactly one outcome, no matter how unlikely, must occur. Look at it this way: flip a fair coin 100 times, and write down the results. Then ask yourself how likely that outcome was. Since we've assumed that the coin is fair, I don't even need to know what the outcome is to tell you what the likelihood of that particular outcome is: 1 in 2 raised to the 100 power, or in ratio terms (where 0 means impossible and 1 means must happen) 0.00000000000000000000000000000079. I hope I got the right number of zeros there, but you get the point -- that sequence of heads/tails was INCREDIBLY unlikely. But we shouldn't be shocked about it at all -- I mean SOME outcome had to occur. So that fact that out of a very long list of very unlikely outcomes (from an individual point of view) this particular sequence "defied the odds" shouldn't really mean much to us.

Anyway, by your definition, if we have to defy the odds to get the #1 overall, so does every other team in the lottery, and even more so. This would suggest that any outcome of the lottery defies the odds. But barring catastrophe, tomorrow they'll be pulling four balls out of that hopper and damn the odds, they will be defied somehow.

Okay, so does anyone know the answer to the question I posed on the previous page? I sure as hell don't know how Travis Mays got to wear Tiny Archibald's retired jersey #1? Just curious.

Okay, so does anyone know the answer to the question I posed on the previous page? I sure as hell don't know how Travis Mays got to wear Tiny Archibald's retired jersey #1? Just curious.
Archibald played until '84. Mays got drafted in '90. My guess is that it took at least 6 years for the Kings to retire Tiny's number. Karl Malone, Tim Hardaway, lots of likely candidates still have unretired jerseys. Heck, the Clips still haven't retired Bob McAdoo's jersey, even though he's been out of the NBA for 20-some years and been in the HOF for 9. So I'm thinking that we were slow to get around to it.

If anybody has personal recollection of when #1 was retired (I don't), hopefully they'll speak up.

I just keep getting that image in my head of that pathetic celtics fan in the 2007 draft lottery. If we're gonna go down, we don't want to go down like that guy and get totally shocked at the last second if it's avoidable.
I get where you are coming from, but no amount of preparation and/or prior knowledge is going to keep me from making a scene if we fall to #4.

I will probably throw my fries at friends who aren't Kings fans (cuz they will undoubtedly be taking trash), curse David Stern, and proceed to chug multiple beers.

I just keep getting that image in my head of that pathetic celtics fan in the 2007 draft lottery. If we're gonna go down, we don't want to go down like that guy and get totally shocked at the last second if it's avoidable.
what did that celtic fan do? and how pathetic elaborate please :p

You seem to have missed the points (though I was being quite sarcastic when I made it, so I can understand that). There really are two points.

1) There is no such thing as an accepted definition for "defying the odds". It's vernacular, not statistics. You appear to have adopted a fairly loose criterion, that is, that if something is less than 50% likely, that its occurrence qualifies as "defying the odds". I don't find 25% so particularly unlikely, but it's totally subjective.

2) In the scenario here (a lottery) exactly one outcome, no matter how unlikely, must occur. Look at it this way: flip a fair coin 100 times, and write down the results. Then ask yourself how likely that outcome was. Since we've assumed that the coin is fair, I don't even need to know what the outcome is to tell you what the likelihood of that particular outcome is: 1 in 2 raised to the 100 power, or in ratio terms (where 0 means impossible and 1 means must happen) 0.00000000000000000000000000000079. I hope I got the right number of zeros there, but you get the point -- that sequence of heads/tails was INCREDIBLY unlikely. But we shouldn't be shocked about it at all -- I mean SOME outcome had to occur. So that fact that out of a very long list of very unlikely outcomes (from an individual point of view) this particular sequence "defied the odds" shouldn't really mean much to us.

Anyway, by your definition, if we have to defy the odds to get the #1 overall, so does every other team in the lottery, and even more so. This would suggest that any outcome of the lottery defies the odds. But barring catastrophe, tomorrow they'll be pulling four balls out of that hopper and damn the odds, they will be defied somehow.
Yes! I understood all of that. My teachers were right, taking all of those years of math finally did apply in the real world....