Ricky Rubio confirmed he will declare for draft

I've already mentioned Rubio's marketing power is too big for Sterling to pass up. But also looking at their roster, the Clips doesn't really have a positional need. Their starting lineup is set (and looks good on paper too).

So whoever they pick is likely going to be a backup unless they move someone. And PG is actually their weak spot. With BD under performing and often injured, I can see LAC picking Rubio. Overall, I think they're just picking BPA, and if they land the #2, most likely the BPA is Rubio.
Randolph has 2 contract years left hasn't worked out well for them and Camby is expiring this year. This would be a good year for them to take a big like Jordan Hill to pair up with Kaman as the future. I doubt they take Thabeet over Hill because they already have DeAndre Jordan.

But yeah, they'll take Rubio or Griffin if they have 1 or 2. It's going to be hard to get rid of Baron though if they take Rubio.

Last edited:
Well at least that's cleared up. So that's about 7 million USD that they're going to have to come up with. So everyone please stop acting like Rubio simply declaring for the draft means he's officially in it, we won't know that for sure until a little over a week before the draft.

At least with the Clippers, if they wanted to they could stash him away in Europe. Have him keep playing there while Davis' contract runs its course or until he becomes tradeable. Then bring Rubio on board from there. It'd be stupid to draft so high for a player that won't even play, but I think that could be a possibility for them. This let's his Euro team stay happy by keeping him on board, while letting him continue receiving PT as a viable option then coming off the bench, and also allows you to keep his rights.

Well at least that's cleared up. So that's about 7 million USD that they're going to have to come up with. So everyone please stop acting like Rubio simply declaring for the draft means he's officially in it, we won't know that for sure until a little over a week before the draft.
No one said that there isn't a chance he could withdraw, but there really is no downside to him declaring when he is pretty much guaranteed to go in the top 2.

His team saying they won't reduce the buyout right now is pure posturing though. If he stays in there will be more negotiations between them and his agent to try to work out a compromise. Also don't forget that he is going to get a nice promotional deal from Nike and other sponsors to help offset whatever money he may lose in the buyout.

No one said that there isn't a chance he could withdraw, but there really is no downside to him declaring when he is pretty much guaranteed to go in the top 2.
Any college player who hasn't hired an agent could withdraw from the draft, too. Might happen, if they think they'll go higher for more money next year.

Rubio might prefer to be in this year and be the top PG taken, than take a chance on being after Wall next year.

His team saying they won't reduce the buyout right now is pure posturing though. If he stays in there will be more negotiations between them and his agent to try to work out a compromise. Also don't forget that he is going to get a nice promotional deal from Nike and other sponsors to help offset whatever money he may lose in the buyout.
Well they haven't said it, but some are acting like this means he's officially in when it doesn't really mean anything since we knew that Rubio wanted to at least test the waters. So him declaring is really nothing to celebrate. The only thing that's really comforting to me is Rubio and his agent really want to get him to come over this year, so at least there's that.

The problem being that his team really has no incentive to re-negotiate his buyout. What exactly is Rubio's bargaining power? He's under contract for two more years. He'd have more bargaining power next year sure, but this year is gonna be tough.

I would think he already has a shoe deal. Other sponsors would be a possibility I guess. Not saying they can't get it done, just that it's going to be iffy.

The problem being that his team really has no incentive to re-negotiate his buyout. What exactly is Rubio's bargaining power? He's under contract for two more years. He'd have more bargaining power next year sure, but this year is gonna be tough.
From Juventut's point of view, the alternative is losing Rubio for nothing. It's better to make a deal this year, when Rubio is projected high and is entitled to more money. Thus, Rubio's bargaining power is, "I'll walk in two years and you get nothing or take $x millions and let me walk now."

I won't be surprised if the negotiation plays out after the draft when both sides know for sure how much money Rubio is entitled to. Another possbility is Rubio declares then stays for one or two years in Spain.

But the closer to Rubio's final year, Juventut's bargaining power lessen. If Juventut wants to make a deal this year is the best time to do it.

From Juventut's point of view, the alternative is losing Rubio for nothing. It's better to make a deal this year, when Rubio is projected high and is entitled to more money. Thus, Rubio's bargaining power is, "I'll walk in two years and you get nothing or take $x millions and let me walk now."

I won't be surprised if the negotiation plays out after the draft when both sides know for sure how much money Rubio is entitled to. Another possbility is Rubio declares then stays for one or two years in Spain.

But the closer to Rubio's final year, Juventut's bargaining power lessen. If Juventut wants to make a deal this year is the best time to do it.
Well they get him for a year and get a somewhat lesser buyout next year or they can sell him off to a bigger market team this offseason if they really wanted something for him. That's the problem, they don't need his buyout to avoid losing him for nothing.

Well they get him for a year and get a somewhat lesser buyout next year or they can sell him off to a bigger market team this offseason if they really wanted something for him. That's the problem, they don't need his buyout to avoid losing him for nothing.
It's one thing to grant Rubio's wish and let him come to the NBA. But it'd be a sure fire way to turn off their fans if Juventut sells their favorite son to another team in Europe. It'll take a huge sum of transfer money for Juventut to justify such a move. But here's the catch, in this economy, what team will pay a lot of cash for essentially a two-year rental of a guy who wants to be elsewhere?

They can wait until next season to negotiate a buyout. But like you and I have said, they get less money. And depending on the depth of draft and where Rubio is picked next year vs this one, Juventut may get a lot less money. A #2 pick gets over $4M/yr while a #8 gets around $2.5M/yr. That's a big difference. You won't sell for $4M if the guy only has $2.5M in his pocket. At some point, the buyout price will be high enough that it makes sense for Rubio to just stay for the length of his contract. If you're Juventut and you don't want Rubio to walk away for free, you want to stay under that tipping point. Thus, if the team wants to recoup, this is the year to do it because this is the year that Rubio will be picked high. Wait til next yr and there's a risk that he'll drop a little bit. Of course, Juventut may figure they can make up the difference at the gate and keep him.