Rubio more likely to not declare this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well were not entirely sure whats his decision yet... but if he really wants to be the top 2 pick nows his chance.. cause its a weak draft

On one hand I sort of think things would be a lot easier if Rubio didn't declare. We pick Griffin. No regrets in the future.

On one hand I sort of think things would be a lot easier if Rubio didn't declare. We pick Griffin. No regrets in the future.
We only have a 25% chance of getting Griffin. I'd much rather go into this draft thinking its somewhere around 50% that we have at landing either him or Rubio

Thats assuming we get the #1 pick which percentages say we won't.

I'd much rather have as much depth at the top of the draft as possible.

well looking at the date of the link april 3.. its not like the article was written and posted overnight.

there can be so much change in a few weeks or even a couple of days so im not planting my foot on the whole rubio wont declare thing.

i mean pictorials and interviews dont just happen overnight.. could have been done months before etc

and what i read from other sources is that his parents are already on board of him going to the NBA. this is his chance... if he enters he and griffin would be the only sure lock as ROY candidates

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
If Wall is out, and Rubio is out, it begins to make me a little nervous about them ping pong balls. With Rubio in I have a quartet of guys at the top of the draft who seem to have impact potential (Griffin, Rubio, Thabeet, Jennings), and since we cannot pick worse than 4th, I'm felling pretty secure that we can't get totally screwed (of course Geoff might like somebody else, Tyreke or Hill or somebody). Ir Rubio is out, then that 35% chance of getting the 4th pick becomes a little worrisome. Need to nab one of those top three to guarantee one of my faves then.

If Rubio/Wall are out, then Griffin is clearly GP selection at #1 although I still think he might take the "Spanish Maravich" with first pick if he's in. Assuming, he's out with Kings drafting 2-4 I think it's more likely GP trades out (or should trade out!) of the those slots for more picks/players. The 23 pick could land an Eric Maynor (yes!) which would make it a very successful draft day for the franchise IMO - especially if landing Griffin or making draft swap to get more picks.

This is as of 4/17/09 - Today -

He said to Spain's news agency EFE: "Next year, from a sporting standpoint, we need Ricky Rubio, and looking ahead to the following year, if he still had the enthusiasm to go to the NBA, we would look to find an agreement so that neither the player nor the club would come out hindered."

Villacampa said that if an NBA team were to draft Rubio, who has two more years on his contract at DKV, and the player was to go to North American for next season, Joventut "would be strict" regarding his multi-million dollar buy-out clause.

thats scary, but I think petrie could draft him at let him stay over there for a year. Kings have done it before, and draft Patrick Mills!

http://www.basketball247.co.uk/news/archives/00000367.shtml

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I know that the NBA club that drafts him can only throw $500,000.00 into the pot, but whats the rule on loans from the NBA or the club that owns his rights? And if for some reason we end up with the first pick in the draft, I would think the could make up some of money up through endorsements. Especially with the connections that the Maloff's have in the business world.

Man, imagine the uproar to draft Rubio and then not get him for a year or two. But actually in a rebuilding sense the Kings would be in a pretty strong position by having another top pick next season.

Good times.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Man, imagine the uproar to draft Rubio and then not get him for a year or two. But actually in a rebuilding sense the Kings would be in a pretty strong position by having another top pick next season.

Good times.
I think in general sports fans are a little more sophisticated about this now. With a lot more international players playing in the NBA, and the past history for us with Peja specifically, there's no reason for fans to really get upset that we have to wait a year to get an elite player. Of course, an uproar could be created depending on the spin the local media wants to put on this. "Expecting the Kings to get better next year? What if their first overall pick decides to stay in Spain? Maybe you should think twice about those season tickets. News at 11!"

This is as of 4/17/09 - Today -

He said to Spain's news agency EFE: "Next year, from a sporting standpoint, we need Ricky Rubio, and looking ahead to the following year, if he still had the enthusiasm to go to the NBA, we would look to find an agreement so that neither the player nor the club would come out hindered."

Villacampa said that if an NBA team were to draft Rubio, who has two more years on his contract at DKV, and the player was to go to North American for next season, Joventut "would be strict" regarding his multi-million dollar buy-out clause.

thats scary, but I think petrie could draft him at let him stay over there for a year. Kings have done it before, and draft Patrick Mills!

http://www.basketball247.co.uk/news/archives/00000367.shtml

Sounds like DKV is getting a little nervous about losing their guy and blabbering to anyone who will listen. I think he'll still be in this draft bacause:

1) You just don't NOT declare when you are a top 3 pick. Only guy to be this stupid recently was Jokiam Noah and that brilliant move will have cost about 10M in his rookie deal alone plus one less year he can be in the NBA (another few million)

2) Rubio himself has always seemed to indicate that he would come over if he was a top pick.

3) Yes, the buyout is a lot, but in addition to his 5M/year rookie salary if he is a top pick, what kind of endorsement deals is he looking at if he comes over now? Pick #2, highlight reel waiting to happen, right off the cover of a teen magazine...the guy is going to clear some pitiful $5M buyout with ease.

4) If he get injured or underperforms next year, his stock could drop like Noah's did, which would cost him millions in salary AND possibly endorsement deals. The stars are aligned for a big payday now.

5) Can't remember where I read it, but the question was raised somewhere if a buyout of that amount would even stand up in Spanish court if challenged. How can you pay a guy 100k/year for a couple of years and then charge him $5M to leave? The most they be able to get back is what they paid him. If the thread of legal action is raised, DKV could just settle for $2M and let him go (my speculation there).

Sounds like DKV is getting a little nervous about losing their guy and blabbering to anyone who will listen. I think he'll still be in this draft bacause:

1) You just don't NOT declare when you are a top 3 pick. Only guy to be this stupid recently was Jokiam Noah and that brilliant move will have cost about 10M in his rookie deal alone plus one less year he can be in the NBA (another few million)

2) Rubio himself has always seemed to indicate that he would come over if he was a top pick.

3) Yes, the buyout is a lot, but in addition to his 5M/year rookie salary if he is a top pick, what kind of endorsement deals is he looking at if he comes over now? Pick #2, highlight reel waiting to happen, right off the cover of a teen magazine...the guy is going to clear some pitiful $5M buyout with ease.

4) If he get injured or underperforms next year, his stock could drop like Noah's did, which would cost him millions in salary AND possibly endorsement deals. The stars are aligned for a big payday now.

5) Can't remember where I read it, but the question was raised somewhere if a buyout of that amount would even stand up in Spanish court if challenged. How can you pay a guy 100k/year for a couple of years and then charge him $5M to leave? The most they be able to get back is what they paid him. If the thread of legal action is raised, DKV could just settle for $2M and let him go (my speculation there).
Good analysis overall. A few corrections. DKV gave Rubio a 200% raise. He's now making 200K euros. But, the question of the legality of the size of his buy out is still valid. Also, DKV is in some financial trouble and there were rumors that they were trying to sell Rubio's contract to bail themselves out. Certainly, the $6M euros or $7.5M us buyout would solve all their financial problems. But if they refuse to negotiate, Rubio could simple enter the draft but play out his contract with DKV and DKV would lose out on the buyout money altogether. So DKV might be motivated to lower the buyout because less is better than nothing.

Rubio is 18, and teenagers feel that they are invincable. So, I doubt that he's worried about injury or whether or not his performance will deteriate. After all he was voted defensive player of the year.

And, Rubio is 18, he's got his bud's, his posse, he's already got a 6 figure salary plus endorsements, and he's a hero in his own country. There have been plenty of Euro stars that chose not to go to the NBA, and money isn't everyone's number one motivator.

Rubio has a long career ahead of him, and might have goals that he hasn't achieved in Europe. And, he's the only person that can sign the agreement to pay back all that money. I can very well see him deciding not to leave home, play out another yr of his contract to reduce the buyout, and enter the draft in 2010 as a top 3 player.

Good times.
remember Fran Vazquez, the #11 pick in the 05' draft by the Magic? I thought the kid was going to be better than Pau Gasol but he refused to void his European contract.

he was picked over Granger, Nate Robinson, Garcia, and David Lee

note: going back that draft was **** lol

NO and ATL passed on CP3 an D-will for Bogut and MWilL(who everyone thought were the 1 and 2 clear picks at the time)

I remember Punching the wall when Indi took Granger at 17 because he fell so much I actually though we could land him. I was then releived when Cisco fell to us.

Looking, guys I liked(In Order): D-Will , Granger,Vazquez,Green, McCants, Diogu,

Guys I thought were going to be busts: Webster, May, Villanueva, Bynum, Korolev, Simien, Hodge, Jack

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
NO passed on CP3??!!!
Or maybe they would have if they were picking first? Sounds like he meant to say Milwaukee.

I thought Andrew Bynum was going to be a bust too. I was actually happy the Lakers picked him up. Now, not so much.

This is all wrong ... Kinda

I picked up this recent SLAM issue with Rubio and Jennings and read the article. That quote was taken by Whitaker (SLAM writer) after the game between the two.

And that night was December 11, 2008. This isn't a recent quote. Of course i'm only assuming a lot can happen within 4 months of December 11 and months before the draft.

I think in general sports fans are a little more sophisticated about this now. With a lot more international players playing in the NBA, and the past history for us with Peja specifically, there's no reason for fans to really get upset that we have to wait a year to get an elite player. Of course, an uproar could be created depending on the spin the local media wants to put on this. "Expecting the Kings to get better next year? What if their first overall pick decides to stay in Spain? Maybe you should think twice about those season tickets. News at 11!"
Deja-Peja, I could see Geoff doing that and it really benefiting us 2 years from now. We would still have 2 new rookies to enjoy next season anyway. The only reason it might not happen is that I could see the Maloofs vetoing that move because it would hinder ticket sales. Considering how hard it has been for them to sell seats now, they may want a top 4 pick to play next season to help sell tickets.

I picked up this recent SLAM issue with Rubio and Jennings and read the article. That quote was taken by Whitaker (SLAM writer) after the game between the two.

And that night was December 11, 2008. This isn't a recent quote. Of course i'm only assuming a lot can happen within 4 months of December 11 and months before the draft.

Well that's good news I guess. Thanks for the info :)

thats what i was saying earlier you cant rely on an interview that was done during december and issued on april.. or something

opinions, and thoughts change

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
At this point, I'm going to go ahead and close this thread. It's apparently based on old news. The article in question doesn't really have current information and I think at least two or three threads have much more pertinent data.

Status
Not open for further replies.