Griffin or Thompson

Griffin or Thompson

• Total voters

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Just wanted to start a discussion on if you had the choice, would you want Griffin or JT as your starting power forward. Obviously, we don't know where the Kings will pick in June. But if you had the choice would you keep Thompson and draft Griffin anyway, draft Griffin and trade Thompson(maybe for a young pg), or keep Thompson as our power forward of the future and pick someone else all together?

I see this as a one step at a time sort of thing. If the Kings get the #1 pick, then you listen to offers and see if you can get a good young player and/or cap relief in exchange for trading down. If you get the right deal: trade Griffin.

If, however, a deal like that doesn't work, then I think you draft Griffin, have him back up Thompson, and see how he performs. If Griffin looks like a star but Hawes/Thompson/Grififn aren't gelling as a 3 big man rotation, then you start listening to offers for Thompson. Otherwise Griffin could be included in the right deal.

Don't think it's really possible to plan too far ahead on this one.

Agree with nbrans. If you have #1 and Griffin is in a league of his own up there, you take him, and let everything sort out later. If someone like OKC or GS is willing to give up a Green or a Randolph, you make a move. If not, hold on to Blake and see how things shape up. While Shock and Hawes have both shown flashes, neither is a sure thing yet. Adding Griffin to the mix could make for an interesting three headed monster big man rotation. Or, if it doesn't work out, you deal one for a position of need.

Blake Griffin is 19 years old - although turning 20 in a few days. He's not likely to start right away for any NBA team he lands on - although not impossible. No doubt he's extremely talented and hopefully his game translates to the NBA as a perhaps undersized PF. If he becomes a member of the Kings he's behind JT until he proves otherwise. If the Kings brass believes Griffin is far and away the best player available and they have an opportunity to draft him they should and will likely do just that.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I don't think you can have them together, other than that...?

Would say if you get #1, you have to take Griffin, whether for yourself or for another team. I would be immediately tryign to trade down with him. If I could not, I would starttaking offers for Jason. But two young hustling/non-long-non-shotblocking mostly interior PFs with limited abiltiy to swing to center is one too many. Almost entirely duplicative.

J

jdbraver

Thompson is okay, but Griffin is a major stud. Barring injury,Griffin will be a future allstar. I don't think thompson has quite as high of a ceiling.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Thompson is okay, but Griffin is a major stud. Barring injury,Griffin will be a future allstar. I don't think thompson has quite as high of a ceiling.
I disagree. Griffin will be good, but I think JT has allstar calliber talent. I could see him getting 18/10 a night in 2-3 years.

Would say if you get #1, you have to take Griffin, whether for yourself or for another team. I would be immediately tryign to trade down with him. If I could not, I would starttaking offers for Jason. But two young hustling/non-long-non-shotblocking mostly interior PFs with limited abiltiy to swing to center is one too many. Almost entirely duplicative.
For what it's worth, Thorpe in one of his ESPN chats a little while back seemed to think Thompson could end up being a center in the long term.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
For what it's worth, Thorpe in one of his ESPN chats a little while back seemed to think Thompson could end up being a center in the long term.
Which is exactly what Reynolds has said. And continuing with the Reynolds theme, he's also saying that it's important in the non-center/pg positions to have guys with the skills to play two or more positions. So, with Hawes, Thompson and Greene, you have guys who can play more than one position. Can Griffin? NO NO NO. He can't play the three because he doesn't have the athletic ability to be a three, and he certainly can't play center because he's not big enough. If you think he's athletic enough to play the three, then watch him, then watch Greene (hopefully you have some tape). Greene is superior to Griffin in athletic ability. He does has the potential to play the three. Already, he can play the four pretty well. It's power forward or bust for Griffin. Which makes me think the Kings would not pick him #1 if they do get the #1 pick.

I voted Draft Griffen, trade Thompson for no other reason then I think we need to test the market with both players to see what kind of deals can be secured...

I'd trade either for a lesser draft pick + young 3/4/5 or 1

I voted trade Thompson.

Griffin can do everything JT can & will be a better rebounder/scorer which is basicly what you want at PF. I also agree somewhat with nbrans about wanting to see the 3 bigs playing together though not at the same time. Non of them should play SF.

But, if we get Griffin and Rubio is gone, then our chance of getting a pure pg just got smaller. So, I would consider trading JT for the best PG available.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I see this as a one step at a time sort of thing. If the Kings get the #1 pick, then you listen to offers and see if you can get a good young player and/or cap relief in exchange for trading down. If you get the right deal: trade Griffin.

If, however, a deal like that doesn't work, then I think you draft Griffin, have him back up Thompson, and see how he performs. If Griffin looks like a star but Hawes/Thompson/Grififn aren't gelling as a 3 big man rotation, then you start listening to offers for Thompson. Otherwise Griffin could be included in the right deal.

Don't think it's really possible to plan too far ahead on this one.
Agreed. Draft BPA and see how he plays in the NBA. There is no such thing as a "can't miss" in this year's draft - even Griffin could not pan out to be that great player everyone hopes for (note, I think he can play in the NBA, but let's see him actually do it before granting him "savior" status everyone seems to hang on him).

I voted trade Thompson.

Griffin can do everything JT can & will be a better rebounder/scorer which is basicly what you want at PF. I also agree somewhat with nbrans about wanting to see the 3 bigs playing together though not at the same time. Non of them should play SF.

But, if we get Griffin and Rubio is gone, then our chance of getting a pure pg just got smaller. So, I would consider trading JT for the best PG available.
I agree with the trade thompson IF griffin plays a while with us and shows he can become something better than JT. I disagree though that griffin will become a better scorer than JT. JT has way more of an inside-outside game, and more offenseive skill in general than griffin. I dont see griffin being much of a scorer at the next level. Most of his scoring now is based on him overpowering smaller weaker 20 yr olds. Not going to happen at the next level unless he develops a jumper and the ability to put the ball on the floor. JT has both of those skills at a decent level already in his rookie year.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I too can see Thompson playing C, and I've liked what I've seen from him there thusfar. His physical style of play might be better suited to split time at C.

We aren't getting the number 1 pick so why worry about what happens when Griffin gets here. ;)

gunks

Hall of Famer
I too can see Thompson playing C, and I've liked what I've seen from him there thusfar. His physical style of play might be better suited to split time at C.

We aren't getting the number 1 pick so why worry about what happens when Griffin gets here. ;)
Haha...My thoughts too.

I wish this was a 2-3 stud draft, instead of a 1 maaaaybe stud draft.

But say we do get pick #1...
I'd go with a Griffin/Hawes/JT frontline. I think Jason may be more suited as a 3rd big anyways, with his propensity to foul. I believe when Griffin gets here he's going to be more beastly on the boards then Jason, and lord knows we need some of that.

If we could do something like turn JT into Teague then I'd be for trading him, but other then that. Keep em both.

I think out of the three Hawes, Griffin, JT, Hawes should be the one traded. I think JT can play center for sure. He only has above average to good mobility for a PF but has great mobility for the center position. Has pretty good size for a C and has a pretty decsent elbow jump shot already. I say a combo of JT @ C and Griffin @ PF would be very nice. Trade Hawes for a young pg...

Sessions (sign as free agent), Beno, Maynor (draft w/Rockets pick)
Kmart, Cisco
Noc, Greene, (Aminu, maybe as part of a trade for Spenc)
Griffin, Diogu/Simmons, 2nd round pick maybe Patterson or Pendergragh
JT, free agent?

I would be happy with that for now!

I think out of the three Hawes, Griffin, JT, Hawes should be the one traded. I think JT can play center for sure. He only has above average to good mobility for a PF but has great mobility for the center position. Has pretty good size for a C and has a pretty decsent elbow jump shot already. I say a combo of JT @ C and Griffin @ PF would be very nice. Trade Hawes for a young pg...

Sessions (sign as free agent), Beno, Maynor (draft w/Rockets pick)
Kmart, Cisco
Noc, Greene, (Aminu, maybe as part of a trade for Spenc)
Griffin, Diogu/Simmons, 2nd round pick maybe Patterson or Pendergragh
JT, free agent?

I would be happy with that for now!
That would be HORRIBLE defensively. I also want to stay away from Aminu.

Warhawk

Staff member
I agree with the trade thompson IF griffin plays a while with us and shows he can become something better than JT. I disagree though that griffin will become a better scorer than JT. JT has way more of an inside-outside game, and more offenseive skill in general than griffin. I dont see griffin being much of a scorer at the next level. Most of his scoring now is based on him overpowering smaller weaker 20 yr olds. Not going to happen at the next level unless he develops a jumper and the ability to put the ball on the floor. JT has both of those skills at a decent level already in his rookie year.
So you think JT will be the better player and yet you would trade him? Am I missing something here????

Warhawk

Staff member
JT is not a center. He can play spot minutes there when going small, but should not spend serious time there. He isn't strong/big enough and will get pushed around by any real 5.

Which is exactly what Reynolds has said. And continuing with the Reynolds theme, he's also saying that it's important in the non-center/pg positions to have guys with the skills to play two or more positions. So, with Hawes, Thompson and Greene, you have guys who can play more than one position. Can Griffin? NO NO NO. He can't play the three because he doesn't have the athletic ability to be a three, and he certainly can't play center because he's not big enough. If you think he's athletic enough to play the three, then watch him, then watch Greene (hopefully you have some tape). Greene is superior to Griffin in athletic ability. He does has the potential to play the three. Already, he can play the four pretty well. It's power forward or bust for Griffin. Which makes me think the Kings would not pick him #1 if they do get the #1 pick.
This is ridiculous. Just because someone can play multiple positions doesn't mean they are better at those positions than someone else. If Griffin can only play PF that's fine, as long as he turns out to be a very good one. You start Hawes next to him, and have JT get all the backup minutes at both positions. Or if Griffin isn't ready yet, you start Shock & Hawes, and slide JT over to the 5 when Blake scomes in.

Even if you split the minutes evenly, each ends up with 36, which is a good amount. Donte can get spot minutes at the 4, depending on foul trouble and Griffin's readiness, etc, but he shouldn't be getting major minutes there. You don't not select the best player with your #1 pick because of Donte Greene... Come on, now. If Greene's ready, then someone like Nocioni or Garcia has to go.

I fail to see how 6'10 250 makes you 'incapable' of playing the 5 consistently in today's NBA. Jason might even be MORE effective as a 5 in the NBA with his ability to take the opponent off the dribble.

I fail to see how 6'10 250 makes you 'incapable' of playing the 5 consistently in today's NBA. Jason might even be MORE effective as a 5 in the NBA with his ability to take the opponent off the dribble.
over an 82 game season + (hopefully) playoffs? You can see by his physique that he would not be able to handle it. He needs to pack on about 20 pounds of muscle to be able to handle that sort of punishment. But his body is not naturally suited for this. He does not have any real low post moves. Spot minutes depending on matchup maybe. Long term starting C? No.

Warhawk

Staff member
I fail to see why people think that players should be moved out of their natural position all the time. He's a 4. He plays the 4. Spot minutes at the 3 or 5 on occasion when necessary, maybe OK. But not on a regular basis.

Just one thing that I was noticing, and Idk if it's been mentioned before but if you look at Griffin's stats, he turns the ball over ALOT.

He has 4 or more TOs in 15 games this year...6 games with at least 6 TOs and even a game with 7 :eek:

Now if this is a trend in college, it will be much more magnified in the NBA. And for those who have seen his game more - what is the reason for all of these TOs?

Always draft BPA...talent comes first IMO.

Unfortunately, with Griffin, I see us being stacked with two good - but not great - Power Forwards. Runs parallel, in my mind, to Seattle's old situation, with Wilcox and Collison...and we see where that got them.

However, it's worth the risk, in case Griffin turns out to be a star ie doesn't Beasley it up next season (and learns how to defend). Plus, we never know what will happen to Thompson. He could have a career-ending/debilitating injury, he could plateau, or even decline Channing Frye-style. You just never know. Better stock up, IMO.

Always draft BPA...talent comes first IMO.

Unfortunately, with Griffin, I see us being stacked with two good - but not great - Power Forwards. Runs parallel, in my mind, to Seattle's old situation, with Wilcox and Collison...and we see where that got them.

However, it's worth the risk, in case Griffin turns out to be a star ie doesn't Beasley it up next season (and learns how to defend). Plus, we never know what will happen to Thompson. He could have a career-ending/debilitating injury, he could plateau, or even decline Channing Frye-style. You just never know. Better stock up, IMO.
umm I don't think JT and Griffin are quite the same as Wilcox and Collison..:eek:

I fail to see why people think that players should be moved out of their natural position all the time. He's a 4. He plays the 4. Spot minutes at the 3 or 5 on occasion when necessary, maybe OK. But not on a regular basis.
I don't think center is OUT of position for him either. There are MANY players that play multiple positions. I don't see why you want to pigeon hole a player when Match-ups should indicate how a player is used.