Greg Monroe - Power Forward from Georgetown

What do you all think of Greg Monroe? He has the right size at 6'10" 240lbs. He is compared to Chris Webber in many ways with his ability to pass the ball and his overall handle of the game.

He seems to be a real 6'10" as oppose to a Beasely type thats really 6'7.75.". Monroe is a southpaw so that should help a bit. I've seem footage of his play and seems very skilled as opposed to Blake Griffin who relies more on athleticism.

PS: I understand we already have JT. But when you have a high draft pick, a lot of times you pick the best talent first regardless. Its not like Cavs would've said no to Lebron if they already had a starter quality SF.

What I like about him: Good size, length, very good IQ, high post facilitator, quick hands on D, good shooting, nice footwork, good speed/quickness (he's smooth), very good hands, good double jump ability, and good potential to develop a nice post game.

What concerns me about him: Lack of explosion towards the basket, not very assertive as a scorer (to be fair the georgetown offense doesn't gear towards that), hasn't shown enough aggression going after rebounds (there's no reason why he shouldn't be a very good rebounder, he's got good double jump ability, good hands, and a long reach), hasn't shown to have much impact on the defensive end, too unselfish at times, and inconsistent.

Georgetown's offense doesn't focus on one player and he doesn't get the ball as much as he should. He's often away from the basket on offense which leads to him being out of position for offensive rebounds. He needs be more aggressive in all parts of his game.

Physically and offensively he's a lot like Webber, although not as explosive. I like DX's bcs of Pau Gasol more, I think that's more accurate.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I like him, but not for the Kings. I just don't want a non-rebounding big. He's going to be very effective if he can play next to a player that's more of a rebounder/defender than a scorer. I really think he should stay in school at least another year.

I like him, but not for the Kings. I just don't want a non-rebounding big. He's going to be very effective if he can play next to a player that's more of a rebounder/defender than a scorer. I really think he should stay in school at least another year.
He doesn't really need another year in school, he's just as ready if not moreso than most of the freshmen who have come out recently. G'town isn't really the best system for him to improve on his weaknesses.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
As much as Blake Griffin is dominating college basketball right now, I look at Greg Monroe and I see a better NBA power forward. Griffin is dominating because he's stronger than just about anyone he's playing against (see DaJuan Blair for another example) but he hasn't shown a lot of skill with the ball other than powering towards the basket.

Monroe is the exact opposite. He can handle and pass, he's terrific at poking balls out and coming up with steals on defense, he's got a very good looking hook shot. Unlike a lot of other "skilled" bigs in college basketball, he's got the right body type to put on weight and bang in low. When Monroe does take the ball inside, he scores pretty consistently. I don't see a lefty Spencer Hawes at all. Greg Monroe already looks way stronger than Hawes and Hawes has had a year and a half to work with a professional strength and conditioning coach.

Statistically, Monroe is averaging more blocks than Griffin and a ton more steals. Than you look at the assists, turnovers, and free throw percentage (which is important for big guys because they average more attempts) and the gap between their actual performance isn't as big as it first appears. Griffin is by far the more dominant scorer and rebounder, but in every other way Monroe has got him beat and he's a year younger and has a better body to play PF in the NBA. Compare Griffin's rookie season to Monroe's and I think Monroe comes out ahead. The rebounding is obviously an issue, but I wouldn't be surprised if Monroe turns out to be a better, more well-rounded NBA player than Griffin does.

I agree with what many have said over the months and dont want monroe because he is very similar to the soft outside bigs we've had over the years. But at the same time, I feel he is a total Petrie player, and if he has some lights out workouts for us, I could definitely see us drafting him. I woulnt mind it, because he is so skilled, but dang, I wish he had more fire.

I dont want him, at all. Not even a little bit.
Me too. I recognize how skilled he is and he'll probably turn into a good player for the right team. I just don't think that's this team. Unless we're trading Hawes and Thompson, he brings none of the skills we need and lots we don't.

Toughness, rebounding and defense with the third big, please.

Me too. I recognize how skilled he is and he'll probably turn into a good player for the right team. I just don't think that's this team. Unless we're trading Hawes and Thompson, he brings none of the skills we need and lots we don't.

Toughness, rebounding and defense with the third big, please.
ESPECIALLY if Thabeet is on the board, and you have to think that they will be in the same boat in relation to where we will be picking.

What do you all think of Greg Monroe? He has the right size at 6'10" 240lbs. He is compared to Chris Webber in many ways with his ability to pass the ball and his overall handle of the game.
If memory serves Josh McRoberts was compared to Chris Webber. 6'10", could pass and very skilled and look were he is. I have a sinking feeling Greg Monroe is going to me more Josh McRoberts than Webber. The fact that he is averaging less than 7 boards in 30 minutes.

If memory serves Josh McRoberts was compared to Chris Webber. 6'10", could pass and very skilled and look were he is. I have a sinking feeling Greg Monroe is going to me more Josh McRoberts than Webber. The fact that he is averaging less than 7 boards in 30 minutes.
The thing with college stats is that its very deceiving. A lot of good players didn't have the most impressive stats in college... such as #1 pick D Rose.

But again, I'm not saying Monroe is a great player or he will be better than JT. Just a discussion. But looking at Blake Griffin, its almost like either he becomes a superstar or a bust. Griffin is going to be undersized in terms of height for a power forward. How many undersized power forwards have become stars in the NBA? Thats why I'm exploring other players in the draft.

can we turn this into a "top PF's aside from Blake Griffin b/c everyone knows his strengths and weaknesses already" thread? How do people think Monroe stacks up against Hill, Brackins?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Skilled but soft.

Has those special skills that make you take notice -- when you are a big guy and you have those skills you can play in the NBA. But its always alarming when you see a big who has no apparent stomach for the wars inside.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I think he could contribute, but I don't see him being more than a career backup. JT will be a career starter and a potential 20/10 guy. I don't see close to that much potential in Monroe.