K Mart

just want to get everybodys opion on him. I noticed in the last 2 games he has made some bone headed plays which have hurt the team. i'm a big k mart fan but after seeing d wade put his team on his shoulders and win i dont think k mart can ever do this. I think i was drinking the k mart superstar kool aid but now im wondering if he will ever be a star.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
He already is a star. He's not a superstar. Never was. And its got nothing to do with these last couple of games which more raise questions about his clutchness than anything else.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Wow. Just wow...

You're comparing Kevin, who has been back for 5 games, to the MVP forerunner Wade and thinking Martin comes up short?

gee...Ya think???

:rolleyes:

im not comparing them i'm not that stupid i was just hoping kmart could be a clutch guy but i'm coming to the relizatation he won't be.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
im not comparing them i'm not that stupid i was just hoping kmart could be a clutch guy but i'm coming to the relizatation he won't be.
Funny how people's opinions change so quickly. I remember a game against the Spurs where, all of a sudden, people who never had ANYTHING good to say about Kevin were all of a sudden anointing him as the next superstar. And a game in Seattle at the end of a tough, tough road trip when he hit the winning shot at the buzzer, turned to his teammates and said, "Let's go home."

People tend to expect way too much, IMHO, and then get way too disappointed when a player doesn't meet their expectations on a nightly basis.

I'm interested in seeing how Martin will perform when we actually have a cohesive team. right now, I'm just glad to see him back on the court.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
i'm not going against him i like him but now i see the kings need to find that go to guy in the draft or luckly in free agency.
Actually, you might not have to look that far. Spencer Hawes has the hunger; and it sure looked tonight like he has ice water in his veins. He could be the player you're thinking of... especially with the right cast around him.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Actually, you might not have to look that far. Spencer Hawes has the hunger; and it sure looked tonight like he has ice water in his veins. He could be the player you're thinking of... especially with the right cast around him.
I'll second that!!!!!!!! He has brains, poise and talent, and he's only 20 years old. And right now, I don't see anyone else on this team having all three. Still waiting on Martin, but man oh man is he making it hard to believe he can be the guy, given the last couple of games.

I told y'all like 5 times already. Kevin Martin is not a franchise player, super star, nor a star who can help the team to a win game at the end. I mean, for like 3years, almost 90% of the game Kevin played, he was only good during first half or third quarter. It was like less than 10% of the time, he was good during fourth quarter. I'm hope i don't say it ever again. KEVIN MARTIN IS NOT A FRANCHISE PLAYER. Don't expect him to lead the team at the end. That's just how it is. That's just how good he is.

I mean, for like 3years, almost 90% of the game Kevin played, he was only good during first half or third quarter. It was like less than 10% of the time, he was good during fourth quarter.
To make a statement like this, you have to provide stats. Please show them to me as grounds for this comment.

If you can't - then you really have no case.

piksi

Hall of Famer
he has a case and if I remember correctly Brick has addressed this issue several time.

Now the person above is exaggerating but he does have a point

To make a statement like this, you have to provide stats. Please show them to me as grounds for this comment.

If you can't - then you really have no case.
About a year ago, I had player efficiency during fourth quarter and Kevin Martin wasn't really good. I don't have it right now with me. If I find it I will post it right away. But if you watch the game, can't you just feel that Martin isn't doing good during fourth quarter?

About a year ago, I had player efficiency during fourth quarter and Kevin Martin wasn't really good. I don't have it right now with me. If I find it I will post it right away. But if you watch the game, can't you just feel that Martin isn't doing good during fourth quarter?
+1, the past few games he has done amazing in the 1-3 quarters, but as soon as the 4th quarter comes around, I think he kinda folds under pressure...he has been very very anti-clutch, lately.

I want to see Kevin become Reggie Miller and I admit I let myself get disappointed when he shoots bricks in the 4th like he's out of gas.

I hope he gets some good coaching to develop this part of the game, if it can be developed. The guys like Wade (and I dare say Bibby had this quality too although he's not the Wade league) can coolly knock down clutch jumpers in the 4th and overtime as if they aren't tired. Kevin can't consistently do this yet.

I told y'all like 5 times already. Kevin Martin is not a franchise player, super star, nor a star who can help the team to a win game at the end. I mean, for like 3years, almost 90% of the game Kevin played, he was only good during first half or third quarter. It was like less than 10% of the time, he was good during fourth quarter. I'm hope i don't say it ever again. KEVIN MARTIN IS NOT A FRANCHISE PLAYER. Don't expect him to lead the team at the end. That's just how it is. That's just how good he is.
Here:

Kevin Martin's 4th quarter stats from last year

Kevin actually only averaged 4 points less a game than Lebron at 5.2

And in the 2nd quarter averaged the 3rd best scoring.

I found the stats on 82games.com. But it doesn't show martin because he didn't play that much. I don't know but Martin isn't up there like other superstar players.

And again, I am not saying Martin sucks and he is nothing, but he just isn't the guy we can build around. He can be good second or third option, but that's it. He is not a player who can help the team to win at the end of the game like Wade just did.

1st .474% 6.6 pts

2nd .508% 5.7 pts

3rd .434% 6.9 pts

4th .400% 5.2 pts

what does this tell you about Martin?? huh?
I don't know what it tells me about Martin but it sure tells me that other normal teams have the brains to step up their defense as the game goes along, especially in the 4th. As for the 2nd the starters are out and the bench plays more. So to me this doesn't tell me that Martin isn't clutch or anything, it just means he's human...

Kevin still needs a lot of work on his ball-handling. 5 years in the league and he's still sloppy casual and too predictable with it imo. I mean he just uses his incredible quickness to get past defenders and then pulls up for a quick jumper (which is good against slower guys) or goes to the rim where he still lacks size to finish comfortably. But he is way too predictable and plain with his dribble imo and quick defenders cause him a lot of troubles because of that.