and with the #1 pick in the 2009 NBA draft the Kings select...

Trading both 1st rounders and a player who would be expiring like Brad or a solid scorer like beno would be nice if it could bring in young talent.

Last edited:
Nash isn't a great athlete, in fact he's average in NBA terms. But he uses his body well, he knows how to manouver his body in the right ways. Ricky is excellent at that too.

Here's a video. You've probably seen it before. I'd just like you to see that you can't be a bad athlete and dunk in professional games at the age of 17. He's got good size and length. They are both advantages also. Just skip to 2 mins in if you don't want to watch the rest. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2Pv5fHzP5Y

BTW, I didn't mean to imply you're biased against Euros or anything. I certainly don't want to make this into anything more than a discussion about a player.
Nash, the two-time MVP of NBA regular season not a great athlete?

If a player gets the MVP award in the NBA twice, and yet he is not a great athlete, how the hell did he do that?

Anyways, I've seen the Rubio video. He looks pretty good, but I am not quite that impressed. IMO, I don't think he will be a great NBA player in the future. Not to put down basketball in Europe, but most of his highlights are probably against those sissy, low basketball IQ, and slow type of white players who happened to be playing in Europe's best league. Of course, he would look good and impressive playing against them.

But we'll never know, it is too early to tell what he may become.

If a player gets the MVP award in the NBA twice, and yet he is not a great athlete, how the hell did he do that?

Anyways, I've seen the Rubio video. He looks pretty good, but I am not quite that impressed. IMO, I don't think he will be a great NBA player in the future. Not to put down basketball in Europe, but most of his highlights are probably against those sissy, low basketball IQ, and slow type of white players who happened to be playing in Europe's best league. Of course, he would look good and impressive playing against them.

Did you watch any of the Olympics?

As far as speed/quickness goes, I wouldn't call Nash great at all. As far as body control goes, he's great.

If i am correct, Bobby Brown's next year is a player option....he could walk.
Thats the issue isnt it, browns been playing well so far but theres still awile to go. Will be interesting to see if he picks up his option in the search for more money and stability. If were in a good position to take a solid pg in the draft then its not an issue but i do see him picking up the option in all honesty.

I was of this mindset until I watched the Olympics. Rubio played very well against some of the best players in the world on both sides of the court. And it's not as if he had one or two spectacular plays and then got abused the rest of the game, he held his own as a 17 year old. I was impressed. I have no idea how his game will translate; however, I think he has the IQ and skills to be something special. I am also very encouraged by how well the rest of the Spanish team has done inthe NBA. The Gasol brothers, Calderon, Fernandez, and even Navarro was pretty good for a role player.

I was of this mindset until I watched the Olympics. Rubio played very well against some of the best players in the world on both sides of the court. And it's not as if he had one or two spectacular plays and then got abused the rest of the game, he held his own as a 17 year old. I was impressed. I have no idea how his game will translate; however, I think he has the IQ and skills to be something special. I am also very encouraged by how well the rest of the Spanish team has done inthe NBA. The Gasol brothers, Calderon, Fernandez, and even Navarro was pretty good for a role player.
Watching him in the Olympics, I got the impression that he gambled a lot on defense. Trying to steal more then guard, and then trying to block from behind after the player drove past him. I didn't see a lot of quickness where he was able to stay in from of the quicker guards. If that is correct, which I'm basing on very limited observations, he'll need to be on a team with GREAT interior defense.

Watching him in the Olympics, I got the impression that he gambled a lot on defense. Trying to steal more then guard, and then trying to block from behind after the player drove past him. I didn't see a lot of quickness where he was able to stay in from of the quicker guards. If that is correct, which I'm basing on very limited observations, he'll need to be on a team with GREAT interior defense.
I somewhat agree. I am not saying he's a defensive stopper. However, before getting too concerned with him getting beaten on D in the Olympics, remember he was constantly guarding Chris Paul, Deron Williams, or one of our NBA All star wings. No one can guard these guys, much less a 17 year old. I can guarentee that Jrue Holiday, Demar Rozen, etc. would have gotten beaten off the dribble by these guys too. I remember being impressed by how fluid and relatively athletic Rubio looked though, he did not look slow and unathletic.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
It's still way early obviously, but I haven't seen anything from Demar DeRozan so far to warrant a lottery pick. USC has lost two of it's first three games and he looked terrible in both of the losses.

It's still way early obviously, but I haven't seen anything from Demar DeRozan so far to warrant a lottery pick. USC has lost two of it's first three games and he looked terrible in both of the losses.
Seems like most of the highly touted freshman have been pretty quiet so far.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Stephen Curry made a name for himself last year in the NCAA tourney. He was a high scoring SG. This year they moved him to point guard becuase of his court vision, ball control and passing ability. Now he is 5th in the Nation in assist with 7.8 a game and leads the nation in scoring with 34pt and 10th in the nation with 3.6 steals a game. Right now he is projected as a mid 1st rounder. He gets the small college tag as did Thompson but this guy more than proved himself against guys that were top 10 players last year.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I'm still wary of PG prospects who are scorers first and setup-men second, but if you're looking for a cold-blooded marksman it'd be hard to do much better than Curry. He was a beast in the tournament last year. nbadraft.net has moved him up to #9 on their mock already. It's nice to find players who project well at their natural positions obviously, but it's all too easy to forget that phenomenal basketball players will succeed wherever you put them. I'm intrigued, but still undecided about him.

Thabeets been playing pretty well and I know it's rare that you get someone that tall and skilled but we already have our starting frontcourt of the future and our main weakness is at PG IMO. I'm surprised you'd take him over a guy like Brandon Jennings.
Well, we definitely need a point guard, but we can always use talented, young, big men. They're the number one commodity in the NBA, and it never hurts to have options. Also consider that our future squad will likely have no Miller, Moore, or Williams, so we will need some big men for the front court. Furthermore, in this conference alone we will be dealing with Oden, Bynum, and Stoudemire for years to come, so having a guy that can match their size and athleticism would be a definite plus, even if he is a long term project (or a role player off the bench for that matter).

To sum it all up: Big men win championships.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't overlook Blake Griffin. Watched him yesterday and he's playing well again this year. I think he had 32 pts and 15 rebounds. He's an interesting player to watch. He's not pretty, and at times he almost looks slow, but at the end he's got his points and rebounds. Bigfeet, Umm, excuse me, Thabeet is playing better this year so far. Jury is still out.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I'd take Thabeet over Griffin. a 7'3 guy is going to translate alot better than 6'9. remeber all the rebounds beasley was getting in college. Ask him if the points and rebounds come as easy in the NBA. Thabeet is a complete defensive freak. We have Hawes and Thompson for the future. Now we need the guy coming off the bench for them that is a defensive monster. When guys like that come along you snap them up becuase they are few and far between.

I didn't see too many NCAA games last year but I remember a few with thabeet and remembered talks about him here. I honestly thought he was garbage. Was I blind? Or was I right and he's just improved tremondously?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I didn't see too many NCAA games last year but I remember a few with thabeet and remembered talks about him here. I honestly thought he was garbage. Was I blind? Or was I right and he's just improved tremondously?
Gets a little better every year. Could be on the Dalembert trajectory -- takes up the game late, never a tremendous feel, but a raw force who slowly gets beter year after year into his mid 20s. Not a star. But a force. Maybe. Already had a couple of monster games this year, and then his more normal ones he's a 10 and 10 wiht 4 blocks type guy.

Last edited:
so if we got the first pick, you'd take thabeet? Or are you saying you'll take him with a pick in the 6-10 range cause it looks like we might be heading in that direction? An I honestly don't know where he's projected to go.

Don't overlook Jrue Holiday guys, he's the perfect PG for us. Excellent defensive potential, can create off the dribble, handle the ball very well, a leader, and is a good decision maker.

Come'on, we all kind of have a feel for how Petrie drafts. While we won't know who he'll pick, it's almost a given he won't pick Thabeet. Just not gonna happen.

If I have to bet, our lottery pick will be a PG. With Beno possibly being shipped out sooner rather than later. Like it or not, Petrie likes to use the draft to fill a need. I'm just hoping it won't be Darren Collison. It just strikes me that Collison is the type of PG that Petrie likes and I hate.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Come'on, we all kind of have a feel for how Petrie drafts. While we won't know who he'll pick, it's almost a given he won't pick Thabeet. Just not gonna happen.

If I have to bet, our lottery pick will be a PG. With Beno possibly being shipped out sooner rather than later. Like it or not, Petrie likes to use the draft to fill a need. I'm just hoping it won't be Darren Collison. It just strikes me that Collison is the type of PG that Petrie likes and I hate.
I agree and disagree. We do have a feel for how Petrie drafts. He likes to draft players that have good basketball IQ, and have all the basic basketball skills, especially the ability to pass the ball. He has seldom drafted for need, unless he finds someone with all the other things I mentioned.

Thats why I don't think he'll draft Thabeet. Thabeet is a one dementional player. At least at the moment, and there's no guarantee he'll ever be more than that.

As far as comparing Griffin to Beasley, thats just nonsense. They don't look alike. They don't play alike. They're two completely different players.
Griffin is a low post player and a true PF. Beasley likes to play away from the basket, and in my opinion is a SF. Beasley likes to out quick people. Griffin out muscles people. Beasley got a lot of his rebounds by flying in at the last second and grabbing them. Griffin gets his by blocking out.

I agree and disagree. We do have a feel for how Petrie drafts. He likes to draft players that have good basketball IQ, and have all the basic basketball skills, especially the ability to pass the ball. He has seldom drafted for need, unless he finds someone with all the other things I mentioned.

Thats why I don't think he'll draft Thabeet. Thabeet is a one dementional player. At least at the moment, and there's no guarantee he'll ever be more than that.
I should qualify my statement, I meant to say when Petrie has a high draft pick, he tends to draft for need. Brian Grant, Jason Williams, Spencer Hawes, and Jason Thompson are needs pick. And that's probably goes with what you said: Petrie prefers high bball IQ, skill, and coachability; and he more likely than not find those qualities at the top of the draft at a position of need.

Petrie also likes to think in terms of the overall balance of a team, the Kings are weak defensively and they turn the ball over a lot. So most likely, Petrie is looking at a good defender who takes good care of the ball.