Spurs @ Kings Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, not too much of a ball expert, but on the last play, it seems like Brad's lazy a** set a wussy screen for Quincy, which didn't slow down his defender.

Anyone see that?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
By the way, not too much of a ball expert, but on the last play, it seems like Brad's lazy a** set a wussy screen for Quincy, which didn't slow down his defender.

Anyone see that?

Did not notice and he may have, but Brad Miller is anything but a lazy screener as a rule. One of the better things he does.

Even if hawes had a bad scoring night Defensively he would have made a difference... he should start now and get brad in on the late stages of the game where in he is fresh

SLAB

Hall of Famer

Anyone see that?
Didn't notice...
But maybe that led to Douby having to jack it up 3 or 4 feet beyond the 3pt line?

Speculation is fun!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Anyone see that?
Let's see. I've now looked at it 4 times and don't agree. Quincy took the ball way outside the arc and immediately let it fly. There were still 1.3 seconds left on the clock when the ball left Douby's hands. That's NOT on Miller, no way, no how.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That's true, he sets great screens. I'm just dissapointed to see him playing without much emotion, effort, and enthusiasm. Dude doesn't seem to care
Okay, I'm really confused. I don't know what game you're watching, but Miller isn't playing without emotion, effort or enthusiasm. He's hustling for boards to the point where he and Hawes both are going for the rebounds. He's getting up the court faster at times than some of our guards.

Legitimate criticism is one thing, but I honestly don't think it's fair to make blanket condemnations of Brad based on what I've been seeing from him.

I just watched the play over again a couple of times, and Brad did all he could to set the screen. He got right in the defender's path, and the defender ran around him. Douby had way more than enough time to step up to the 3 point line and hit the shot. If you watch the replay, the defender never even got in Douby's face. Douby is going up for the shot as the defender is jumping at him from the side, never even got a hand in his face. This one's on Douby.

I just watched the play over again a couple of times, and Brad did all he could to set the screen. He got right in the defender's path, and the defender ran around him. Douby had way more than enough time to step up to the 3 point line and hit the shot. If you watch the replay, the defender never even got in Douby's face. Douby is going up for the shot as the defender is jumping at him from the side, never even got a hand in his face. This one's on Douby.
Definitely on Douby. He had plenty of time to take a dribble or two closer up and set for a good shot.

Did anyone notice? With the game clock at around 1:08 remaining in the game the Spurs began walking the ball up court after a clock stoppage. At least 5-6 seconds elapsed by my count as they got it within a couple feet of mid-court before THE OFFICIAL CLOCK RESUMED - inexplicably! I thought Grant or Jerry would say something, but I guess they missed it. I thought the Kings bench (or even Spurs bench) or certainly the officials would have caught it. I sort of let it go in my mind, but with a loss at end having only 1.8 seconds left for a Kings shot to tie or win - it was a FACTOR:(

i wouldnt blame the coach on this one it was an ok play to place it on the hands of a shooter.... basically we dont have shooters outside Martin and garcia... salmons isnt a known 3pt threat... hawes was having a bad night and it would be a surprise if he took that shot... it would have been a good decision however if they got Donte Greene to shoot it... at 6"10 thats kinda hard to block :p

Quincy did have enough time to take a step or two closer to the line, but I’m hoping he can learn from his mistake. I’m really happy that Reggie kept him in the game and it’s even better that he’s on the court in critical parts of the game and that will hopefully elevate his game. The one thing that scares me is that Reggie might replace Quincy if he’s in a similar situation (next time), but I hope not. I just want him to keep improving.

I have TWO problems. One...why did they design a play to force Jason inside against Duncan when Salmons was red hot? Two...why did Salmons dump the ball to Miller for a jumper from the elbow?

Oh wait. I have THREE problems.

Three...as mentioned above, why in the name of the great god Naismith did they draw up the play for Douby when either Salmons or Udrih could have taken the inbound pass from Miller and been in a better position to at least tie the game?

Oh wait. I have FOUR problems. Why was Spencer out of the game?????

...sigh...
Just got back from the game, and this was exactly what I was about to post...you beat me to it. So, I'm with you on this one.

Quincy did have enough time to take a step or two closer to the line, but I’m hoping he can learn from his mistake. I’m really happy that Reggie kept him in the game and it’s even better that he’s on the court in critical parts of the game and that will hopefully elevate his game. The one thing that scares me is that Reggie might replace Quincy if he’s in a similar situation (next time), but I hope not. I just want him to keep improving.
Au contraire, even though Quincy's doing what he does best (scoring/making shots), I think that he shouldn't be the guy in that situation at all. He's obviously a volume player who struggles to make noise at limited spurts, but we already know what he is--a scorer who can use his length to get the occasional steal/block. He played a lot tonight, but he didn't show anything new--with more minutes he hits more threes, but that's about it; George Hill for the Spurs just sucked tonight. I think, with Garcia coming back soon, I think his minutes will take the biggest hit because on a night when we only had 16 assists and couldn't even assist at least half of our shots, we need a playmaker out there. I trust Bobby Brown to be a better playmaker out there than Douby, and he should be the one getting the minutes, even though both Bobbies aren't even traditional playmakers--that's more of a knock on Douby's lack of playmaking skills. 0 assists yet again.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I had a great time (again) at the game. They are making it fun and exciting and still not able to pull it out (as a rebuilding). Those of you who look at lottery picks should be happy. They entertained the crowd and still got closer to a better pick.

I, for one, have no complaints. I enjoyed the basketball. And, I even got to say, "damn you, Finley," a couple of times.:eek:

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I had a great time (again) at the game. They are making it fun and exciting and still not able to pull it out (as a rebuilding). Those of you who look at lottery picks should be happy. They entertained the crowd and still got closer to a better pick.

I, for one, have no complaints. I enjoyed the basketball. And, I even got to say, "damn you, Finley," a couple of times.:eek:
I pretty much feel the same way. Too bad JT left a couple of those shots rolling off the rim.....

I pretty much feel the same way. Too bad JT left a couple of those shots rolling off the rim.....
Yeah JT needs to have a softer touch around the rim, he is far too anxious at times. I love his energy but he needs to gain more control and patience. Im sure he will though, maybe even by the all star break if they really have time to work with him.

I am a fan of fundamentals and I believe that the PG position should be accountable for shot creation (or lack of) on any team.

In the three close losses against Detroit, Phoenix and San Antonion; Beno averaged 3.6 assists while turning the ball three times per contest - I don't care how many points or rebounds he got, we need a true passing PG.

But assist numbers are sometimes inaccurate because sometimes it's not the PG's fault but the receiver's. Or sometimes they get fouled etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.