Joe Maloof on the Rise Guys

Did anyone listen to Joe Maloof on the Rise Guys show this morning?

I was impressed by how candid he was regarding Theus and the team. Just an overview of what he would like to see from Theus/team:

1) He wants improvement defensively and a "system." It was ironic that he mentioned how Adelman had a system and was able to adapt to injuries.
2) He wants the young guys to be played an not "buried" on the bench.
3) He wants to see an improvement on the T/O ratio...

There was more but I was glad he was on the show and seemd as enthusiastic as ever..

He stressed defend the 3 point line a lot

it was ironic how he referred to Rick's system of slotting in another player

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Joanie Mitchell had a song back in the day with a line that's particularly fitting with the regard to the Maloofs and Rick Adelman:

"You don't know what you've got til it's gone."

Just like people in Sacramento didn't realize how special the Alhambra Theatre was until it had been taken down by the wrecking ball, the Maloofs simply didn't understand how very good Adelman was because he did the impossible on a regular basis and made it look easy...

I'm glad to hear Joe Maloof giving him some credit.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Did anyone listen to Joe Maloof on the Rise Guys show this morning?

I was impressed by how candid he was regarding Theus and the team. Just an overview of what he would like to see from Theus/team:

1) He wants improvement defensively and a "system." It was ironic that he mentioned how Adelman had a system and was able to adapt to injuries.
Did he elaborate at all about what he meant by a "system"?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Did he elaborate at all about what he meant by a "system"?
Couldn't hear the interview down here in Baja, but I assume he meant that he wanted to see the resemblence of one. Instead of what I described in another thread as helter skelter. I have seen improvement.

Couldn't hear the interview down here in Baja, but I assume he meant that he wanted to see the resemblence of one. Instead of what I described in another thread as helter skelter. I have seen improvement.
The interview.

http://www.sports1140.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=3098803

Where I usually listen to them.

http://music.aol.com/radioguide/bb

sportsradio 1140 (Sac)

Rise guys are 6-9 am I think. I don't start listening till I get to work at 7am.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
This would fall squarely in the "I told you so" category for me. A good sign if he is finally getting it, but never fails to amaze me that you would dish out hundreds of millions of dollars for a team and then go through on the job training about the sport/league.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Here we go with the Rick Adelman talk. Is Adelman really the right coach for a team in transition? I am sure Rick makes a significant amount more than what you'd realistically want to pay a coach on a team not winning much anyway.

Believe it or not I am sure that is a part of why Rick wasn't kept around. The Maloofs were cutting costs, that what you do on a rebuilding team.

Here we go with the Rick Adelman talk. Is Adelman really the right coach for a team in transition? I am sure Rick makes a significant amount more than what you'd realistically want to pay a coach on a team not winning much anyway.

Believe it or not I am sure that is a part of why Rick wasn't kept around. The Maloofs were cutting costs, that what you do on a rebuilding team.
I think there's a difference between cutting costs and cutting one's own throat..... :cool:

even if you were to make a compelling argument that a team wouldn't want Rick around during a rebuilding...wouldn't it be nice to have him in your back pocket for when that team became good?

Joanie Mitchell had a song back in the day with a line that's particularly fitting with the regard to the Maloofs and Rick Adelman:

Just like people in Sacramento didn't realize how special the Alhambra Theatre was until it had been taken down by the wrecking ball, the Maloofs simply didn't understand how very good Adelman was because he did the impossible on a regular basis and made it look easy...

I'm glad to hear Joe Maloof giving him some credit.
A few years too late mind you!

Doing it now is really pointless. I am sure Rick wouldn't give a rat's tossbag of what Joe has to say about him. Rick's record as a coach speaks for itself and he doesn't need Joe Maloof to pump up his tyres.

This is a few years too late. You can't knife someone and then say all the good things about him.

How many of you guys ragged on Adelman when he was here? There are Kings fans who complain about every coach that we have ever had.
I didn't.... Feel free to search all of my post on Adelman. He is the best thing we had going for us at the time we let him go. Stupid decision back then, even more dumb in hindsight!

Entity

Hall of Famer
aside from all that. and the the fact that you can't change what happend. I think Theus is doing a nice job. We are showing improvment on both ends of the court. Improvment is what you want to see. Hard to ask for it nightly but a weekly based improvment is not to much to ask and I believe we have shown that.

1. It’s great to hear Joe again. He sounds great and it seems that he’s really excited for this team and the young group we have. It seems (or shows) that he’s happy with replacing the “old” vet thing with the young youth movement.

2. It’s nice that Joe is thinking the same thing as me as far as the offensive (and defensive) system. We really need to find a certain style on offense that we can stick with. I have no clue what we’re doing.

3. Turnovers aren’t something that the coach can control. The players need to get control of the ball. But I’m probably wrong.

4. I think in order for Donte Greene to get some minutes, John Salmons needs to be traded and even Mikki. Because if either one is on the team, Donte will probably not see quality floor time this year.

5. As far as our other young guy…It’s sad, and I had high hopes for him but it seems that Quincy is in Coach’s dog house. Donte will probably see more floor time than Quincy does.

6. Finally, some recognition towards Rick. A statement that didn’t sound fake/rehearsed. He seemed to finally understand what Rick did. Yeah, that will probably never bring Rick back here but I’m glad that they probably understand how special of a coach Rick was....My favorite coach.

7. I just hope that Joe doesn’t think that by using the rookies and watching them grow that we have a legitimate spot to make the playoffs. Because, that way, no matter how Reggie does (unless we make the post season), Joe might think that Reggie could do better; then we might be starting the whole coach search again.

I think the Maloofs are being completely unfair in their assessment of Coach Theus. Joe Maloof was totally contradictory in his statements about Adelman (they fired him), and playing the young guys (he is playing them). He can only coach the hand he is dealt.

As far as developing a system, this team is developing one. On the offensive side of the ball, this team is leaps and bounds above anything that was on the floor the last two years. IT TAKES TIME!!!! And the Kings are 4-5 without a full complemented squad. Joe Maloof says he does not want the young players buried on the bench, but at the same time expects the playoffs.

Now I like Hawes, Thompson, Brown and even Greene, but playing those guys are not going to get you into the post season, THAT IS UNFAIR!!!!:mad: Either this franchise is in development or they are playing to win right now. You can not have it both ways, and then hold the coach accountable if neither happens.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
even if you were to make a compelling argument that a team wouldn't want Rick around during a rebuilding...wouldn't it be nice to have him in your back pocket for when that team became good?

I think Joe had a lot to say about a lot of things, and only mentioned Rick briefly when referring to a system. And yet, all you guys can find to talk about is Adelman. To me the most significant thing he said was to imply that Reggie is on a short leash.

Adelman is gone! Get over it! Its in the past and he's doing just fine for himself. There's nothing to be gained from this continuous arguing over it.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I think the Maloofs are being completely unfair in their assessment of Coach Theus. Joe Maloof was totally contradictory in his statements about Adelman (they fired him), and playing the young guys (he is playing them). He can only coach the hand he is dealt.

As far as developing a system, this team is developing one. On the offensive side of the ball, this team is leaps and bounds above anything that was on the floor the last two years. IT TAKES TIME!!!! And the Kings are 4-5 without a full complemented squad. Joe Maloof says he does not want the young players buried on the bench, but at the same time expects the playoffs.

Now I like Hawes, Thompson, Brown and even Greene, but playing those guys are not going to get you into the post season, THAT IS UNFAIR!!!!:mad: Either this franchise is in development or they are playing to win right now. You can not have it both ways, and then hold the coach accountable if neither happens.
In this particular case we are winning because of Hawes and Thompson. Imagine our rebound numbers without those 2. I think this is a case of having cake and eating it to.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
How many of you guys ragged on Adelman when he was here? There are Kings fans who complain about every coach that we have ever had.

While I never never ragged on Adelman...I loved him as a fantastic coach who I wanted to keep......I will admit to ragging on his immediate successor (BIG TIME). :p

What is Joe talking about besides greene no youngster is buried on the bench. And to add to that to compare adelman and theus makes no sense because they had teams as different as day and night. Want to rebuild with youth? well this is what you must be willing to deal with.

It would be much more fair to direct those comments to GP!

What is Joe talking about besides greene no youngster is buried on the bench. And to add to that to compare adelman and theus makes no sense because they had teams as different as day and night. Want to rebuild with youth? well this is what you must be willing to deal with.

It would be much more fair to direct those comments to GP!
I agree. The kids are as much a part of the rotation as ever - perhaps minus the most "Greene" one. I heard the entire interview and Joe Maloof seemed kind of grouchy to me in his 50+ old age. Maybe he's still in some hobbling pain after his two recent knee replacement surgeries. With all the empty Arco seats slicing into revenue and probably growing recessionary pressure all over MSE he certainly isn't jumping for joy.:rolleyes: His strange ragging on Theus seemed over the top after he dumped Adelman for Musselman. Of course, Joe can do and say anything he wants but the Kings can get to .500 tonight for the first time in two years (Dec. 06) and that will be something to build on as this season unfolds.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

That would be pretty much the point -- ala Sloan in Utah. You rebuild, and then one day you have the coach to get you to the mountain. Now instead you can add "coach" to the long list of question marks we will have going forward.

As for Reggie, people just weren't paying attention after last season (or are Reggie apologists) if they did not think he was going to be on a short leash this year. He tried to my way or the highway an NBA team, which you do NOT do when you are a rookie nobody, and then worse yet he tried to my way or the highway his bosses. It was ego unbecoming an employee, and if he wants to hang past this year he has a lot of ground to make up. Frankly I think he is doing fine playing the kids -- the veteran probelm is more on Geoff at this point. But the defense is embarrassing, and either evidence that Rick was 100% correct when he said its the personnel stupid (you will note his teams in Houston are now top of the league), or evidence that coaching it requires more than tough talk and smiling at the cameras. And the system....whatever happened to that triangle thing anyway?

Some predicted Reggie would be out after this season. He looks like a coach with potential though. If the Kings let him go I can't imagine finding a veteran coach who would want to come under scrutiny in a team that's rebuilding with not much. Maybe the Maloofs will find another Musselman to remind themselves.

I don’t think Joe was saying that we have to use Rick’s system. I think he was just saying that we need to find a system. Cause there’s been a lot of times that I’ve been very confused as to what we’re running.

I guess Reggie had a nice little response to Joe’s comments about finding an offensive plan. Apparently we’ve given up on the triangle or is this part of the triangle?

Reggie’s quote from the bee.

Source: http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/017060.html

“We have a very good system. We have an absolute system. We are a C-action, high-post, double-high post team that has quite a bit of ball and body movement. Anybody who watches us play knows that we're not a team that stands. We move. We cut and we move, and that is the way that we talked about playing.”

I really hope we don’t fire him (unless he alienates all his players or he just stops developing the team and the young guys). I understand that the Maloof’s want to win but they need to relax a bit. Just wait till the year is over and then analyze the guy. He can’t turn this team around in a week or two. I also think that Reggie should be careful of what he says. I know he wants to defend himself but he really needs to be careful.

Eh, easier said than done. In time the waters become murky and all the positivity gets sucked out of the room. Even the legendary Jerry Sloan just about got canned while the Jazz we're rebuilding. Depends on how quick the rebuilding is. Theirs was considerably quicker than ours has been.

I don’t think Joe was saying that we have to use Rick’s system. I think he was just saying that we need to find a system. Cause there’s been a lot of times that I’ve been very confused as to what we’re running.

I guess Reggie had a nice little response to Joe’s comments about finding an offensive plan. Apparently we’ve given up on the triangle or is this part of the triangle?

Reggie’s quote from the bee.

Source: http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/017060.html

“We have a very good system. We have an absolute system. We are a C-action, high-post, double-high post team that has quite a bit of ball and body movement. Anybody who watches us play knows that we're not a team that stands. We move. We cut and we move, and that is the way that we talked about playing.”

I really hope we don’t fire him (unless he alienates all his players or he just stops developing the team and the young guys). I understand that the Maloof’s want to win but they need to relax a bit. Just wait till the year is over and then analyze the guy. He can’t turn this team around in a week or two. I also think that Reggie should be careful of what he says. I know he wants to defend himself but he really needs to be careful.
Well with the players Geoff has assembled it only seems logical to run that same system. I don't think Reggie is running it all that well myself though. It is looking a lot better but winning ugly or hustling your way to victory is not a recipe for long term success.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Ahem:

[yt=Don't Know What You Got - Cinderella]CpHKo71bh0I[/yt]

Who is Joanie Mitchell?