and with the #1 pick in the 2009 NBA draft the Kings select...

I like Blake Griffin out of Oklahoma. Carlos Boozer type PF. And in the West you cant have enough talent up front. Of course I could see the Thunder paying a nice premuim to get him to team with Durant. Even with Thompson and Hawes I would go PF/C. 4 quality bigs is a nice way to build a franchise IMO. Throw in Greene and Martin and you got a nice start. Point guard is normally the last thing a championship team gets. This isnt a one year rebuild so time is there.

I like Blake Griffin out of Oklahoma. Carlos Boozer type PF. And in the West you cant have enough talent up front. Of course I could see the Thunder paying a nice premuim to get him to team with Durant. Even with Thompson and Hawes I would go PF/C. 4 quality bigs is a nice way to build a franchise IMO. Throw in Greene and Martin and you got a nice start. Point guard is normally the last thing a championship team gets. This isnt a one year rebuild so time is there.
Like it has already been pointed out there is a long way to go, but as of this moment, I think Griffin and Holiday are the best fits for us. Holiday I think is the perfect player for our team at the 1, shot creator, leadership qualities, and great defensive tools. Griffin could very well be the best overall talent, but I worry about our future frontcourt and whether it has enough shot blocking. We can have a couple of good shot blockers in Hawes and Thompson, but I don't know about stoppers in the front court.

I'm still thinking Jrue Holiday should be our target. We saw last night against the Clippers the value of somebody who can collapse a defense off the dribble, and I think Holiday can do that. We don't need a pure PG, we're just fine with somebody who can create their shot like Holiday because most of the offense will be run through Brad in the present, and Spencer/Thompson in the future.

i'm Still Thinking Jrue Holiday Should Be Our Target. We Saw Last Night Against The Clippers The Value Of Somebody Who Can Collapse A Defense Off The Dribble, And I Think Holiday Can Do That. We Don't Need A Pure Pg, We're Just Fine With Somebody Who Can Create Their Shot Like Holiday Because Most Of The Offense Will Be Run Through Brad In The Present, And Spencer/thompson In The Future.
Qft!!!!!

I said i liked Jason Thompson last year, well I keep talking about Patrick Mills. hes a great pg. scored 20 points, 3 steals and 2 assists on team usa.

nice pg skills avg 14.8pts 2.1rebs 3.5 asts and 1.8 stls

42.9%fg, 76ft%, 32.3 3pt%

I want Ricky Rubio, i like Jrue Holiday...but cmon we are not lucky enough to get top 5 pick. my sleeper pick is Mr.Mills.

I want Ricky Rubio, i like Jrue Holiday...but cmon we are not lucky enough to get top 5 pick. my sleeper pick is Mr.Mills.
We may not, at this rate we'll be picking in the 10th - 14th range again. But, not all hope is lost.

This draft looks pretty weak, so there could be some injury-riddled teams picking in the early lotto looking to add veteran depth to their squad instead of a promising youngster (Spurs? Mavs?). So lets say that Jrue Holiday is slated to go in the 6th-9th range. You don't think a package of, say...

Salmons/12th Pick for Filler/6th pick

Doesn't that look attractive to a team like the Spurs? They come back next year with Parker/Manu/Salmons/Duncan/Oberto and some NBA-ready lotto pick at 12, while we get our man at the point.

</Crystal Ball>

But, this is still way too early, there's a lot of basketball to be played. I just think that this year is the year we'll have a shot at the high lotto prospects.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I said i liked Jason Thompson last year, well I keep talking about Patrick Mills. hes a great pg. scored 20 points, 3 steals and 2 assists on team usa.

nice pg skills avg 14.8pts 2.1rebs 3.5 asts and 1.8 stls

42.9%fg, 76ft%, 32.3 3pt%

I've been avoiding this conversation, simply because without seeing some of these guys play, I can't really give an opinion. For the most part its all hypothetical now. However, having seen Mills play, I want to second your indorsement of him. Another small conference guy with a lot of talent. I'm looking forward to seeing him play this year.

I'm still not sold on Rubio. I don't think he's quick enough and he can't get his jump shot off because his form is slow and horrendous. He's the type of guy who junkies love because he's smart and savvy, but that's not going to cut it in the NBA. He's the Adam Morrison of point guards.

I'll take an athletic freak, please.

I'm still not sold on Rubio. I don't think he's quick enough and he can't get his jump shot off because his form is slow and horrendous. He's the type of guy who junkies love because he's smart and savvy, but that's not going to cut it in the NBA. He's the Adam Morrison of point guards.

I'll take an athletic freak, please.
He is out-performing heralded highschool star Brandon Jennings by quite some distance (btw, Jennings is your "freak athlete"). He is not a good shooter, I agree. But he is not slow, and he's not even fully developed as an adult. He'll get stronger and faster with age. You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm 100% sure after regularly watching him that speed will not be an issue for him in the NBA. If guys like Beno can fare well regarding speed, Rubio will be just fine.

Your Adam Morrison comment is the only thing that annoys me. I don't mind you not beind sold, but to be honest, your comparison to Morrison shows that you're extremely ignorant to Rubios game. Rubio is absolutely nothing like Morrison. Their only similarity is there skin colour, which is absolutely irrelevant in this case. I promise you, whether you want to trust me or not is up to you, but I promise you that Rubio will at the very least be a good starting PG.

He's the best prospect by a clear mile to ever come out of Europe, and like it or not, Europe has produced some very good players and are also increasing their player output.

I don't think the only similarity is skin color. They're both guys who are underwhelming athleticism who people are unduly excited about because of their skills. Maybe you're right and Rubio will get quicker. Until he does, I want nothing to do with him.

Look, Rubio's good for his age, but there are some fundamentals about him, namely his athleticism and his slow shot, that I think are going to limit how good he'll eventually be. Maybe I'm wrong, but when was the last noncenter to justify a top 5 pick when they were just an average-at-best athlete?

And I'm not biased against Europeans, by the way, I was someone who badly wanted us to trade for Calderon when he was TJ Ford's backup.

Last edited:
I don't think the only similarity is skin color. They're both guys who are underwhelming athleticism who people are unduly excited about because of their skills. Maybe you're right and Rubio will get quicker. Until he does, I want nothing to do with him.
Look, regardless of your personal opinion on the kid, he has been playing professional basketball since the age of 14 in the second best league in the world. The recognition he's getting is 100% deserved. He is the best player at this age ever to come out of Europe. I don't know how to explain it, but watching him pretty regularly, he just has it. He does everything. His one main weakness is his shooting, but nobody has absolutely everything. Nobody. He makes everybody better.

I still think you're being too harsh on his speed and quickness. He is pretty quick. He has a pretty calm game and it's not often he sprints full speed (you'll notice that when he does he's almost always first to the ball). I think his athleticism is average at worst, and will likely be above average when he's in his peak. He's already a superior athlete than Bibby ever was, and Mike was a huge part of our contending team.

Nash isn't a great athlete, in fact he's average in NBA terms. But he uses his body well, he knows how to manouver his body in the right ways. Ricky is excellent at that too.

Here's a video. You've probably seen it before. I'd just like you to see that you can't be a bad athlete and dunk in professional games at the age of 17. He's got good size and length. They are both advantages also. Just skip to 2 mins in if you don't want to watch the rest. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2Pv5fHzP5Y

BTW, I didn't mean to imply you're biased against Euros or anything. I certainly don't want to make this into anything more than a discussion about a player.

Look, regardless of your personal opinion on the kid, he has been playing professional basketball since the age of 14 in the second best league in the world. The recognition he's getting is 100% deserved. He is the best player at this age ever to come out of Europe. I don't know how to explain it, but watching him pretty regularly, he just has it. He does everything. His one main weakness is his shooting, but nobody has absolutely everything. Nobody. He makes everybody better.

I still think you're being too harsh on his speed and quickness. He is pretty quick. He has a pretty calm game and it's not often he sprints full speed (you'll notice that when he does he's almost always first to the ball). I think his athleticism is average at worst, and will likely be above average when he's in his peak. He's already a superior athlete than Bibby ever was, and Mike was a huge part of our contending team.

Nash isn't a great athlete, in fact he's average in NBA terms. But he uses his body well, he knows how to manouver his body in the right ways. Ricky is excellent at that too.

Here's a video. You've probably seen it before. I'd just like you to see that you can't be a bad athlete and dunk in professional games at the age of 17. He's got good size and length. They are both advantages also. Just skip to 2 mins in if you don't want to watch the rest. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2Pv5fHzP5Y

BTW, I didn't mean to imply you're biased against Euros or anything. I certainly don't want to make this into anything more than a discussion about a player.
I agree with you that what he has done is pretty unprecedented, and that he has loads of talent. I also think that he's athletic enough to hang in the NBA. I just wouldn't make him a high pick.

Nash is still pretty quick and both he and Bibby can shoot. Rubio can shoot, but he just takes so long to get it off, and it's getting late to change his mechanices. Ultimately, I just can't see Rubio going up against Paul, Williams, Parker, Rose, etc. and getting the better of them either offensively or defensively.

I don't know. I may be way off base on him, but I always prefer to have someone who starts athletic and shows skills rather than someone who is subpar or average athletically but is supposed to get by on skills. Particularly for perimeter players, and particularly with such a high pick.

How about Jason Thompson's younger brother, Ryan Thompson (also of Rider) for the future? He's only a junior as of now, but he puts up intriguing all-around statlines--draftexpress documented him today, and he's averaged 15-6-3 along with 1.7 spg in his sophomore year. I know we don't need any more swings (although this Thompson's game sounds more like that of another Ryan, Ryan Gomes, for some reason) but it would be interesting to reunite these Thompsons.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
How about Jason Thompson's younger brother, Ryan Thompson (also of Rider) for the future? He's only a junior as of now, but he puts up intriguing all-around statlines--draftexpress documented him today, and he's averaged 15-6-3 along with 1.7 spg in his sophomore year. I know we don't need any more swings (although this Thompson's game sounds more like that of another Ryan, Ryan Gomes, for some reason) but it would be interesting to reunite these Thompsons.
We could have the: Thompson Twins!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Maybe we should draft him in the second round just so he can be King for a day, otherwise there will be tears and he's going to be living in Europe day after day.
I watched him play last year and he wasn't bad. He played especially well with his brother. Jury is still out for now, but it will be interesting to see how he fare's without Jason there. I'm also interested to see if he's had the same growth spurt that Jason had.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I watched the Memphis/U Mass game and the St. Mary's/Fresno St. game last night.

Tyreke Evans is an interesting prospect. He's Pt/2 guard at the moment, but shows some skill at the point. At 6'4"/6'5" he has size. He's also pretty quick. At the moment he's more of a slashing type scorer, without much of an outside game. Very athletic. He's someone to keep an eye on at Memphis.

Patrick Mills is a lot of fun to watch. I doubt that there's a point guard in the country thats quicker than him. The guy is capable of doing it all. 27pt's, 5 assists, and 6 steals last night. He shot the ball well from the outside and penetrates to the basket at will with an array of shots. He's has an NBA body, similar in looks to Timmy Hardaway. Also similar in height, which is the only knock on him. He's listed at 5'11", to maybe 6'. I would lean to the 5'11" myself.

Anyway, if Mills continues to play well, St Mary''s could make a little noise this year.

Patrick Mills is a lot of fun to watch. I doubt that there's a point guard in the country thats quicker than him. The guy is capable of doing it all. 27pt's, 5 assists, and 6 steals last night. He shot the ball well from the outside and penetrates to the basket at will with an array of shots. He's has an NBA body, similar in looks to Timmy Hardaway. Also similar in height, which is the only knock on him. He's listed at 5'11", to maybe 6'. I would lean to the 5'11" myself.

Anyway, if Mills continues to play well, St Mary''s could make a little noise this year.

I have been saying this for a while.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I watched him play last year and he wasn't bad. He played especially well with his brother. Jury is still out for now, but it will be interesting to see how he fare's without Jason there. I'm also interested to see if he's had the same growth spurt that Jason had.
Maybe I should have put the punny song titles in italics! ;)

I don't have any opinion of Ryan at this point (certainly not enough to suggest he can or can't play in the pros), but if I remember correctly he was more of 6'6" size.

I don't have any opinion of Ryan at this point (certainly not enough to suggest he can or can't play in the pros), but if I remember correctly he was more of 6'6" size.
From what I hear Ryan is better than Jason was at the same point in their careers. Major difference, however, is that Jason is 6'11'' and Ryan is 6'6'' or so. Still, he's an NBA prospect, and I think he'll be a solid NBAer at least. He has alot of talent, much like his older brother.

Also, I got to meet him this summer at Rider, so :p

:D

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Yeah, he was 6'6" last year. But the way Jason spurted up, I thought it might happen to Ryan. He may or may not have future in the NBA. I'm sure Jason would indorse him.:rolleyes:

watched mills dominate at the olympics and at saint marys, was a name back here in oz before he came over to the states. Great potential as everyone knows now

just to add to that hes the perfect point guard we need, great at pushing the tempo and running the offence. Questions as to if he has a 2nd gear however. Not sure where hes projected to go if he enters the draft and will be interesting to see if we take a point with the development of bobby brown significant in that regard.

will be interesting to see if we take a point with the development of bobby brown significant in that regard.

If i am correct, Bobby Brown's next year is a player option....he could walk.

Also I believe in drafting BPA. I think Mills will be a great pg for us.