ESPN: NBA fines Theus $25,000 for comments about officiating

Updated: November 13, 2008, 3:42 PM ET

NEW YORK -- The NBA has fined Sacramento Kings coach Reggie Theus $25,000 for comments he made about the officiating following a loss to Detroit.
The league also penalized the Kings $25,000 on Thursday for Theus' actions.
Theus said it was "ridiculous" that the Pistons took 36 fouls shots to just 17 for the Kings in Detroit's 100-92 victory in Sacramento on Tuesday.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3700881

I haven't really watched the kings play this season but I watched the game against GSW. Horrible defense from the kings. Is the team defense really bad? The only way to stop those opponents is by giving 36 fouls? Or the refs were just "ridiculous"?

The Kings were getting called for so many more "touch" fouls at the end of that game, especially against Iverson. Do they normally fine the organization as well, or did they say or do something too?

Officiating has been sketchy in some games this year. Touch fouls and non-calls for serious hits. I hope this does not become common-place.

I thought Reggie's comments were pretty tame.

Its true thoe, we were getting destroyed by touch fouls. I'm not gonna say thats the only reason we lost but it was a big part of it. If I'm in Reggies shoes right now I wouldn't feel bad at all, I think it was completely justified and $25,000 that was worth losing for an issue that needs to be addressed. Honestly I think it was that woman ref. Trying to not be as sexist as possible, I never liked her and I just think she calls alot of crap calls. I remember she missed a blatant foul on Allen Iverson when he was on the Nuggets last year when he swiped Garcia's arms during a last second shot that cost us the game and she acted like she saw nothing even thoe she was right in front of the play.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The NBA will never admit it, but the Ref's tend to give star treatment to some of the players in the league. The worst thing you can be is a rookie guarding a star player. Your looking at a double dip there.

The Kings are going to be a very young team, and its probably going to be a while before they get respect.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
BTW - if they can fine a team for something the coach says, can they fine a team for the crowds in the stands all standing and yelling,

"Hey, NBA, your refs stink (and they're blind too)!!"

That game? Try, almost every game in which he plays. :D
Iverson is exceptionally quick, and creates a lot of contact due to the way he plays. As such, he is tougher to ref than other players imo. Kevin Martin gets tons of calls where he intentionally initiates contact just for the foul call. Judging by the amount of free throws he took last year, I would say Kmart frustrates just as many coaches as Iverson in the fouls dept.

On that note, Kmart has developed a great shot off the foul. He drives into a person, gets the foul, and releases a shot while in the downward arc of the jump. Play has usually stopped, so he gets a semi uncontested shot. Tricky tricky...

I don't think we lost because of the calls not going our way. We lost the game because we couldn't controll our turnovers.

But I don't think Reggie should have been fined but the NBA has a really uptight rule about anything negative about the refs. I wish more coaches and players would talk about some of bias that goes into reffing the game, but I guess it's better to keep quiet and get paid then lose a lot of money.

$25,000 is pretty harsh!
Is it because of Donaghy, Stern just doesn't want officials calls to be questioned in public? Or is it because Theus is one of the younger, less experienced coaches and Stern doesn't want him to get into the habit of it?

I agree about the star player treatment things. AI is one of those guys who refs will not dare to argue with, and they'll give him all the calls he wants

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think the NBA should have a percentage fine rather than a dollar fine. A $25K fine may mean absolutely nothing to a Don Nelson, but to Theus it is probably much more significant. So fine 0.5%, 1%, etc. of their salary. And do the same thing with players.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
In a situation like this, I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out the Maloofs had covered the fine for Reggie...

I'm GLAD he spoke out. Right or wrong, at least he's not indifferent. I'm watching my first favorite player of the Sacramento Kings grow into the role of head coach of the Sacramento Kings. It's good to see.

:)