and with the #1 pick in the 2009 NBA draft the Kings select...

This is something Iv'e been waiting for since the Kings started falling apart after the Kings/Lakers rivalry was ending. That is the Kings being able to have a shot at a #1 pick. Now with us starting off with no wins, practically the worst team in the NBA, we need to KEEP thinking about the future now with our young core becoming our leaders now.

There are multiple choices you can choose to back up to be the front runner for the #1 pick, and I am here to push for........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbOgK1tTFQw , Im sure most of you heard of him.

Demar Derozan, if he can go crazy to follow his 30 points, 8 rebounds and 4 assists a game in high school but do it in college, I think we may have a winner.

feedback on this kid.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I'm going to have to wait to see if someone rises to the top this year. I don't yet see a "franchise player," and our biggest need is probably at PG, which seems kinda weird to take a #1 pick with. Traditionally you go big, but with Thompson/Hawes as our last two picks, where do we go?

S

sactownfan

I'll take Mullens, Ricky Rubio, Brandon Jennings, and Griffen as of right now in that order.

Mullens is a athletic freak and is 7'1... too rare and hard to find, so i'd take him first. Maybe one day we could play Hawes, Mullens, and Thompson as our frontline? avg height 7ft! LOL! we'd win games just by being to tall!

Ricky and Jennings are tied right now sorta, they will be playing against each other and battling for the top PG honors in europe so we will see how that goes, but they are both PG's and after watching Beno these first few games thats probably our biggest need.

Griffen looks to be the biggest lock at being a solid NBA baller. But im kinda down on him compaired to the rest of this group

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, we still do need that dominant big man, we will be top 3 in the draft, which leaves room for Mullens if not then Derozan which will be both franchise players. but Ricky Rubio's game has no chance in the NBA.

Last edited:
I agree, we still do need that dominant big man, we will be top 3 in the draft, which leaves room for Mullens if not then Derozan which will be both franchise players. but Ricky Rubio's game has no chance in the NBA.

I just hope and pray that you are still around in 5 years, and I will remember this (ludicrous and uneducated as far as Rubio is concerned) comment. As far as sure things go, Rubio is probably the least likely to be a bust out of all the players to ever come out of Europe. I find it hilarious to see some posters call him a bust when he is already the best prospect to ever come out of Europe - and by a clear mile. Maybe go watch him play a season (no, a few games against the NBAs finest in the Olympics doesn't really count considering he's 17 (and he still showed glimpses of greatness)).

Anyway, if we get the top pick, or just a top pick for that matter, I'd be happy with any of Rubio (will be an All-Star PG within 3 or 4 years of being in the League), Jennings (electric PG with crazy athleticism), DeRozan (franchise player potential), and particularly Tyreke Evans. I think he'll be a star. He won't have the franchis tag coming out of college, but I think he'll be a franchise player. Reminds me of D-Wade in both aspects (kind of unheralded). He's got a good handle, very strong, very good athlete and can finish under heavy pressure at the rim. Under-rated passer and possibly a better shooter than Wade.

With the #1 pick, I'd be tempted to take Rubio. He's not lightning quick, and doesn't have a great jumper (which is obviously double-trouble for an NBA point guard), but already knows how to run a team at high levels of competition.

More realistically (counting on Kings luck and not winning the lottery), if we pick in the 4-6 range I'd be very interesting in Hasheem Thabeet. A legit 7'3" with a big, strong body, tremendous athleticism, and great quickness, he has all the tools to be a game-changing center. He a definite project, but if he pans out could be a franchise-caliber center. If we're going to compete with the Greg Odens and the Andrew Bynums, Thabeet is the kind of player you want.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'll take Mullens, Ricky Rubio, Brandon Jennings, and Griffen as of right now in that order.

Mullens is a athletic freak and is 7'1... too rare and hard to find, so i'd take him first. Maybe one day we could play Hawes, Mullens, and Thompson as our frontline? avg height 7ft! LOL! we'd win games just by being to tall!

Ricky and Jennings are tied right now sorta, they will be playing against each other and battling for the top PG honors in europe so we will see how that goes, but they are both PG's and after watching Beno these first few games thats probably our biggest need.

Griffen looks to be the biggest lock at being a solid NBA baller. But im kinda down on him compaired to the rest of this group
At the moment, I like all of the above. But honestly, until I see them play in college (exception Griffin, who I have seen) I can't say who I would pick.

Every year there's always someone that comes out of nowhere and rises to the top ten area. Larry Legend and I were both touting Thompson last year when most people on the fourm hadn't even heard of him. Gary also spoke highly of him. The point is, its just too early, but let the fun begin.

There is no consensus #1 pick. B.J. Mullens may be the closest but I don't think he's coming out so soon. Rubio and Jennings are not guys you take with a #1. Demar Derozan sounds intriguing, but he really has to be the next Paul Pierce to justify picking a wing player this early.

All in all, Blake Griffin is still the safe #1, imo. Even though he doesn't remind you of a franchise player, he's still a potential 20-10 guy. It usually is good enough for a #1 pick. Just because we already have two young big men shouldn't exclude us from picking another one if said big man is the best player available; similar to Chicago picking Rose even though they have a lot of young guards. I think Griffin will be slightly better than either Hawes or Thompson, so with the #1 pick, we take Griffin and let the youngster battle for the starting spots.

But next year may be one of those draft where having the #3 pick is better than having the #1. We'll see. But right now, the talent dept is looking pretty weak.

More realistically (counting on Kings luck and not winning the lottery), if we pick in the 4-6 range I'd be very interesting in Hasheem Thabeet. A legit 7'3" with a big, strong body, tremendous athleticism, and great quickness, he has all the tools to be a game-changing center. He a definite project, but if he pans out could be a franchise-caliber center. If we're going to compete with the Greg Odens and the Andrew Bynums, Thabeet is the kind of player you want.

I'm really weary of Thabeet. He's intriguing, but I don't think his offense is ever going to be where it's need to be a star in the league. There's nothing wrong with a defensive, athletic big man but I'm worried his game won't translate. And with a pick that high, you really want a star if you can at all. Assuming all the big names declare (which they won't), there's alot of guys I'd take over him. Rubio, Jennings, Evans, DeRozan, Griffin, Mullens, Jrue Holiday. This draft could be a strong one, but I have a feeling it will be pretty thin.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
With the #1 pick, I'd be tempted to take Rubio. He's not lightning quick, and doesn't have a great jumper (which is obviously double-trouble for an NBA point guard), but already knows how to run a team at high levels of competition.

If you read my posts last year, you know that I'm not a big Thabeet fan. But that was last year. I'm looking for big improvements from him, and if I don't see any, then he's a bust to me. The pro's are a lot harder than college, and if you can't improve in college what are your chances in the pro's.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm really weary of Thabeet. He's intriguing, but I don't think his offense is ever going to be where it's need to be a star in the league. There's nothing wrong with a defensive, athletic big man but I'm worried his game won't translate. And with a pick that high, you really want a star if you can at all. Assuming all the big names declare (which they won't), there's alot of guys I'd take over him. Rubio, Jennings, Evans, DeRozan, Griffin, Mullens, Jrue Holiday. This draft could be a strong one, but I have a feeling it will be pretty thin.
The players that intrigue me right now are Rubio, Jennings, Mullens, and DeRozan. I got a pretty good read on Griffin last year, although I'm curious to see if there's any improvement in his game.

If, and its a big If, the Kings end up with a top five pick, then who they pick will probably depend on how some of the current players played this year. If Beno doesn't look like our future point, then I think you have to take a serious look at Rubio or Jennings. By the way, the last thing I'm worried about is Rubio's jumpshot. He has a lot of time to learn how to shoot.

Rubio.... The Kings need a PG.. Beno just plain flat out sucks as a starter. So far..... Rubio here with Hawes, Thompson, Greene, K-Mart would have open looks all night. Amazing young lineup there.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The guy named Jrue at UCLA might be pretty good. I'm looking forward to see him this year. He would provide a *physical* presence at the pg position.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
The two guys I was most impressed with at the Nike Hoops summit were Al-Farouq Aminu and Tyreke Evans. They are the two guys I am very interested in seeing this year.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The guy named Jrue at UCLA might be pretty good. I'm looking forward to see him this year. He would provide a *physical* presence at the pg position.
The only question about Holiday is whether he's a true point guard or not. I'll certainly be watching him this year.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The two guys I was most impressed with at the Nike Hoops summit were Al-Farouq Aminu and Tyreke Evans. They are the two guys I am very interested in seeing this year.

There are a lot of new players this year that I'm anxious to see. Aminu and Evans are among them. I'm especially interested in seeing Mullens. He could turn out to be everything Thabeet was susposed to be. Word is that he's very raw. We'll see.

Not to derail this thread, but even if we finish with the worst record, we still only have a 25% chance of getting #1. Just seems like everyone assumes the worst record gets u the best pick. The balls didn't bounce the right way for Memphis or Boston 2 years ago, so it happens.

At the moment, I like all of the above. But honestly, until I see them play in college (exception Griffin, who I have seen) I can't say who I would pick.

Every year there's always someone that comes out of nowhere and rises to the top ten area. Larry Legend and I were both touting Thompson last year when most people on the fourm hadn't even heard of him. Gary also spoke highly of him. The point is, its just too early, but let the fun begin.
http://www.kingsfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=514683&postcount=237

http://www.kingsfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=522187&postcount=298

http://www.kingsfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=522199&postcount=301

Just saying ;)

The only question about Holiday is whether he's a true point guard or not. I'll certainly be watching him this year.
We don't necessarily need a "true" high assist PG. We need someone who can handle the ball, make smart decisions (in the half court and in transition), rely on in the clutch, be a leader on the court and facilitate reasonably well. It seems apparent that we're trying to build for some kind of motion offense; we may not need a Nash type PG.

My list as of right now.
1.) Blake Griffin
2.) Jrue Holiday
3.) Ricky Rubio (if applicable)
4.) BJ Mullens
5.) Brandon Jennings

go thompson

Rubio.... The Kings need a PG.. Beno just plain flat out sucks as a starter. So far..... Rubio here with Hawes, Thompson, Greene, K-Mart would have open looks all night. Amazing young lineup there.
I have been saying that we need to draft a good big man (Griffen or Mullin) BUT now I think I am changing my mind.

Just like you said, Rubio with Hawes, Thompson, Greene, K-Mart and we have a good looking team. Add a franchise player we pick up in 2010 *runs and hides* and we have a good team.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
We don't necessarily need a "true" high assist PG. We need someone who can handle the ball, make smart decisions (in the half court and in transition), rely on in the clutch, be a leader on the court and facilitate reasonably well. It seems apparent that we're trying to build for some kind of motion offense; we may not need a Nash type PG.

My list as of right now.
1.) Blake Griffin
2.) Jrue Holiday
3.) Ricky Rubio (if applicable)
4.) BJ Mullens
5.) Brandon Jennings
Don't have a problem with your list. At least right now. Things can change and someone can come out of nowhere. I don't think you can go wrong with Griffin. My only reservation would be his knee's. I'd have him throughly checked out before I used a high pick on him.

The problem with Rubio and Jennings is that we don't get to see them play. Other than youtube etc. Everything I've seen and read about Jennings is good. I just wish I could see him play.

I have been saying that we need to draft a good big man (Griffen or Mullin) BUT now I think I am changing my mind.

Just like you said, Rubio with Hawes, Thompson, Greene, K-Mart and we have a good looking team. Add a franchise player we pick up in 2010 *runs and hides* and we have a good team.
We saw what a true good PG like Williams, and Paul can do to a franchise. I think Thompson and Hawes have shown enough that given a good PG to get them the ball down low, or work with the flow of the offense, the Kings can flourish. Especially K-Mart. Rubio can be that guy.

Too many times I see Beno running into traffic only to have the ball stolen. Beno does not understand the team concept or something. He's always trying to do too much while others on the floor watch him get the ball slapped away. I bet you if we had a decent PG then we would have had 2 wins on the road trip. Beno's TOs always lead to a fast break on the other end.

Tough to say right now who #1 could be, even the top 3. So much can change with a full season of college/euroball.

What is certain is that this is a pretty weak class...Kings picked the wrong year to suck, huh? I've been following these guys, here's my opinions...again, alot can change between now and the draft:

Barring injury, I have a feeling that Blake Griffin may go #1...questions to be answered: is he tall enough? 6-9 listing in college is usually 6-7 at the NBA pre-draft combine. how are his knees? how much will he improve this season?

BJ Mullens hasn't been impressive in a lot of camps recently, but still has plenty of upside. His big problem, besides being raw, is his motor and consistency. If he puts up DeAndre Jordan stats this year, expect him to stay another year.

Jennings has not performed well in Europe, his weak jumpshot and finishing skills have reflected a poor FG%. Low assist #'s too. Kinda disappointing, but maybe he'll improve later in the season.

DeRozan is promising...I'll be watching him this year. Athletic, tough, scoring mentality. But if we draft him, where does that leave Kevin Martin?

There's been good buzz about UCLA's Jrue Holiday...keep an eye on him.

I hope Thabeet improves this year, especially on his man-to-man defense and rebounding...or else he'll be nothing more than a roleplayer at best.

As of right now, I'm liking DeRozan, Holiday, Griffin...and remain intrigued on how Thabeet & Mullens improve this season.

DeRozan is promising...I'll be watching him this year. Athletic, tough, scoring mentality. But if we draft him, where does that leave Kevin Martin?
Id'e say keep Martin, who is really only highly effective when he's moving without the ball, or wide open. Him with Derozan would be GREAT for the Kings future. Or there's always the possibility of trading Martin for a PG, only if we land Derozan. Have a solid PG, with Derozan, then Thompson & Hawes starting down-low (in the future).

I honestly don't think we will need a new big man for years too come. If the development of Hawes & Thompson continues the path it is going

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Every year there's always someone that comes out of nowhere and rises to the top ten area. Larry Legend and I were both touting Thompson last year when most people on the fourm hadn't even heard of him.
Not to pick at nits or anything, but at one time or another Larry Legend brought up everybody but Bozo the One-Legged Monkey.

:p