[WNBA] Comments that don't warrant their own thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Maybe I'm wrong for finding this funny, but it amuses me that Mali only sent seventeen athletes to the Olympics, and twelve of them are the women's basketball team.

That is correct. Hilton Koch bought the Comets after the 2006 season ended.

I find the timing strange: announcing the team is for sale when most of the WNBA fans are focusing on the Summer Olympics.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
That is correct. Hilton Koch bought the Comets after the 2006 season ended.

I find the timing strange: announcing the team is for sale when most of the WNBA fans are focusing on the Summer Olympics.

I agree about the timing. You would also think this could wait til after their season is over. :(

This was sorta expected, he's spent much of the last six months denying rumors that the league would be assuming control of the team by the end of July. There have been further rumors that the league was actually running the franchise while he "owned" it. I had a conversation with our resident Comets fan a few weeks ago and he felt from what he had heard, that the chances of the team staying in Houston were slim right now and perhaps ultimately as well because there doesn't appear to be local interest. They may very well ultimately wind up somewhere else to start the 09 season.

The feeling when Koch was awarded the franchise was that he was there to be a transitional owner so they did not have to contract the team. The league was simultaneously dealing with ownership changes in LA and Charlotte, in addition to Houston that winter and perhaps desired to protect that market and a big chunk of the league's history by awarding the team to Koch until a more financially liquid owner or ownership group could be found.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Well... ****.

Somebody needs to step up; those first four championships laid the foundation for the WNBA. You can't just contract what was the preeminent team of the first half of the league's history!

My guess at the time Charlotte bit it, was that the league sacrificed it to save the Comets, they couldn't run two franchises and weren't in a position to move the Sting somewhere. (Or maybe it was my hope since I thought they should have moved the Sting to Chicago)

From my conversation with our resident Comets fan, he's heard the league has been in talks for a while with $$$ people in Dallas. This would make sense, beyond losing the team that is so deeply ingrained in the young league's existence and history, the media market they call home is too big to lose for the league's portfolio. Dallas is a big step up in markets if they can pull it off.

I do believe the push is to move them and contraction is a very very very last resort.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
That seems somewhat unprecedented for the WNBA: has any other player of McWilliams-Franklin's caliber played for as many different WNBA teams as she has? She's practically the Shaquille O'Neal of the league.

Not of her caliber I don't think, I don't think it's all that common for somebody who is at an allstar level to hit 3 rosters, well Tangela is technically on her 4th team, but.

That's a nice bandaid for not having Cheryl Ford and rescues Taj from the black hole of basketball death that is the Mystics organization. I wonder though, if jettisoning Humphrey was a good long term idea. Maybe it doesn' matter because you have Ford and Pierson perhaps long term. But still....but Tasha adds a nice scoring dimension. Hopefully Langhorne finds some minutes now.

Margo and Svet sign with different teams

The CT Sun sign an ex-Lynx player, and an ex-Sun player signs with L.A.:

Svetlana Abrosimova signs with the Sun:
http://www.courant.com/sports/college/husky/women/hcu-svet0827,0,7585289.story

Margo Dydek with L.A.:
[From the Los Angeles Times]
The Sparks signed 7-foot-2 center Margo Dydek of Poland to replace injured forward Christi Thomas, according to General Manager Penny Toler.

A 10-year veteran of the WNBA, Dydek has not played this season after
giving birth to her first child in April.

Yeah, I never thought she would come back to the WNBA, especially after giving birth to a kid earlier this year.
Yeah and then signing with the Sparks!

Is it just me or is Michael Cooper & Bill Lambier trying to out do one another? It's like they playing aganist each each other all over again.

The Sparks signing Dydek is the epitome of a dumb move from a practicality and need standpoint - advantage Laimbeer.

If the Sparks signed Dydek to keep her from going to Phoenix, San Antonio or Seattle - advantage Cooper.

The Sparks signing Dydek is the epitome of a dumb move from a practicality and need standpoint - advantage Laimbeer.

If the Sparks signed Dydek to keep her from going to Phoenix, San Antonio or Seattle - advantage Cooper.
I give the nod to Laimbeer as well...however the thought of CP3,LLL & Dydek on the floor at the same time...is very intriguing.

Imagine Bobbitt dribbling under Margo's legs dishin off to LLL, then to CP3 for a throwdown;) ok a bit of a stretch...but fun just the same!

The Sparks signing Dydek is the epitome of a dumb move from a practicality and need standpoint - advantage Laimbeer...
I do agree that it seems strange that Dydek was join the Sparks. However, what does Evil Bill have anything to do with it? Or were the Shock considered as a team that was going to sign Margo? I can't imagine Margo in a Shock uniform. Don't they already have another slow-moving center named Kara Braxton?

...If the Sparks signed Dydek to keep her from going to Phoenix, San Antonio or Seattle - advantage Cooper.
That could be the only reason I can think of; the Sparks signing Dydek before PHX, SASS, or Seatte does. In the case of Seattle, Lauren Jackson will be out for the rest of the regular season, and probably most of the playoffs as well, due to a surgery she had right after the Olympics.

I do not see how SASS or PHX getting Margo would help those teams any, however.

Phoenix lost Penny Taylor and Tangela Smith, adding Dydek might have helped them mitigate some of that loss by at the very most giving them somebody who can sit in the middle of a zone defense and rebound. It seemed to me that Riley had some health issues pre-break, Dydek might have been some insurance. And Seattle needs another body in the paint.

My only reason to mention Laimbeer in my post was to give him the nod for "Best Acquisition Over the Break To Address A Real Need" nod. Michael Cooper explained on Monarchs Talk last week that his reasoning for signing Dydek was to replace Christi Thomas who I believe they consider out for the season now. He also went on that Dydek is just there to rebound and contest shots. Sure she is, but you have three shot blockers already on your roster who eat the most of your minutes now and will likely eat most of your minutes in the playoffs. Thomas=Moore IMO, so they already seemed to have a replacement for her.

I can't imagine Laimbeer looked at Dydek after not only acquiring McWilliams-Franklin in a trade but also signing her to a contract extension.

I do not see how SASS or PHX getting Margo would help those teams any, however.

One other thing, while the thought struck me...

Dydek >/= Olympia Scott in Phoenix for what she might have been able to do to help their long shot playoff run.

Dydek > Valeriya Berezhynska who San Antonio is continuing to sign to seven-day contracts. They have a need for a big apparently.

I think Taurasi is a great player, just can't stand watching her non-playing actions. She has to be one of the biggest whiners around.

Whines when she's called for a foul. whines when she thinks she's been fouled; whines when a teammate is called for a foul or thinks a teammate has been fouled. Whines ALL THE TIME. I was at her first game a Arco and it was awful.

I always feel like screaming at her, "Just shut the F... up and play!" She just strikes me as a prima donna to the max.

Status
Not open for further replies.