Ronny Turiaf maybe to GS - does this help Kings?

Lakers now have a hole at PF, KT/Ron for Odom?
I know you man. You are smarter than that. Let Odom be a FA, and if he wants to be a Sacramento King...he will sign with us next year. All this talk about acquiring players who don't want to play for the kings is not helping. All that cap space isn't even going to help, because FA dont like 916. Once we start having a winning record, things might change. But, Lamar Odom is not going to turn this franchise around like C4 in the late 90's. And LA is hope/wishing/praying that anyone will trade a talented player for Lamar Odom because they are over the cap, and even when Lamar is off the books next year, they will still be hovering right around the cap. That means they will probably not be able to sign a marquee FA, even with Lamar's old cap space. All this means, is anyone who wants this scenario to work wants LA to win and SAC to loooooose

Lakers now have a hole at PF, KT/Ron for Odom?

Hole?

Odom/Ariza/Vlad/Puke
Gasol/Odom
Bynum/Gasol/Mihm

At most they need a vet minimum scrub that will play 10 minutes tops if they get hit by foul trouble...

For all we know Mitch matches the offer. He did give Luke 6/30. Also Brian "All I Can Do Is Catch And Shoot" Cook was making 3.5 per.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Turiaf ain't worth that, and I have always liked him (wanted us to draft him even). Lakers would be wise to let the Warriors just wallow in that sort of contract..

As for Artest to the Lakers -- I could actually see this making a Ron/KT package more attractive (with KT filling in for the departed Turiaf).

I know you man. You are smarter than that. Let Odom be a FA, and if he wants to be a Sacramento King...he will sign with us next year. All this talk about acquiring players who don't want to play for the kings is not helping. All that cap space isn't even going to help, because FA dont like 916. Once we start having a winning record, things might change. But, Lamar Odom is not going to turn this franchise around like C4 in the late 90's. And LA is hope/wishing/praying that anyone will trade a talented player for Lamar Odom because they are over the cap, and even when Lamar is off the books next year, they will still be hovering right around the cap. That means they will probably not be able to sign a marquee FA, even with Lamar's old cap space. All this means, is anyone who wants this scenario to work wants LA to win and SAC to loooooose
?

No one really wants Lamar Odom to be a King. Certain fans just want Artest to be traded before he walks after this season. And if that type of move allows us to get rid of Kenny Thomas, then it's even better. Odom wouldn't get a new contract from the Kings anyways, so it's strictly for cap space.

And whether free agents like Sacramento or not, you need cap space to even have a shot at it. Trading KT/Artest for Odom probably puts us at about $48 million next summer, with Moore, Miller and SAR coming off in '10. Plus, we'll have a serviceable player in Odom playing the 3/4 for a year.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Don't get me wrong, Turiaf has value. But his play is the type that while effective in spurts, when you reviewing the game as a whole you actually see that his impact overall is minimal to average at best. Not exactly a "facade" type player, but something about his game screams "undisciplined" out to me. Has the tools with shotblocking and pretty good athleticism and youth on his side, but it's hard to imagining him developing further--the game's not all based on energy.
Couldn't agree more. But for the Lakers he was their bench "big" without Bynum. Without Bynum they used Pau at the 5, not his normal position and Odom at the 4. Neither are very good defenders. With Bynum back and Pau and Mihm, those 3 will get all the minutes at the 4-5. Odom at the 4 would seem to move to the 3 with Bynum at 5 and Pau at 4. Now the Artest, whoops, pardon me, "Billy", vs. Odom discussion takes on a clearer view. Only Kobe can shut down any 1-4 in the league but that is tough as you could see in their Boston series. Put Billy on Pierce or Allen then Kobe becomes stronger.

The Kings need scoring AND rebounding and average defense at the 3-4. Odom at the 3, Mikki/Thompson/Williams at the 4 and Hawes/Miller/Thompson at the 5. Salmons can backup 2 and 3 nicely as can Douby and both those are better than average defenders.

Sure, the lakers get stronger and likely return to the finals but the Kings should immediately get into the playoffs then shoot for top 4 in the west in 09/10. But it all depends on the development of Hawes/Thompson/Williams.

The Kings need scoring AND rebounding and average defense at the 3-4. Odom at the 3, Mikki/Thompson/Williams at the 4 and Hawes/Miller/Thompson at the 5. Salmons can backup 2 and 3 nicely as can Douby and both those are better than average defenders.

Sure, the lakers get stronger and likely return to the finals but the Kings should immediately get into the playoffs then shoot for top 4 in the west in 09/10. But it all depends on the development of Hawes/Thompson/Williams.
I think it's more likely that Odom starts at power forward and Salmons starts at small forward. Garcia becomes the primary backup at shooting guard and small forward, and the other 18 power forwards backup at that position.

I do think you'll see lots lineup changes - where Odom plays small forward along with one of the guys you mentioned at power forward. I just don't think that lineup will be the primary one they use.

To be honest with you, you've been all over the place on this one. He's gone from failing miserably and being garbage, to having some value. To say that his game is effective only in spurts is sort of reduntit. Considering that all he gets to play, minutes wise, is in spurts. He's in for four minutes here and three minutes there. At the end of the game it probably adds up to fifteen or sixteen minutes a game. You've called him undersized, and he's not. You call him undisciplined and I call him tough. He's not afraid to get in and bang with anyone. You just don't like it when it happens to be one of the Kings.

As you can see, I like him and I have always liked him all the way back to his college days. He's not pretty, but he does the job asked of him. Trust me, people are going to like him even less when we play the Warriors. He's only 26 yrs old by the way.
Wait, I said that he's been "failing miserably" and has been "garbage" ? I've looked over my posts in this thread, and I don't see any of that. I've never said that he wasn't tough, once again, because he certainly acts the part--but again, energy-prevalent play and lack of discipline can only get you so far. He's young too. The problem I perceive here is that Turiaf would be getting overpaid by the Warriors, for reasons I've already stated.

Obviously teams perceive players differently though, and that's where the $$$ flows in.

1) The Lakers got lucky this year by not having to face either of the teams that would have given them the most problems in the playoffs (New Orleans and Phoenix, who both run the pick and roll with extreme proficiency, and that was the Lakers weakest spot on offense). I don't think we should write them in as the West champs for next season. They will be good, and would be better with Artest playing SF, but the West is still deeeeeep.

2) I certainly don't think trading Artest for Odom and putting him at the three (which is where I would put him, by the way) would make us a playoff team, and I don't think we would be trading for Odom with the intention of holding on to him past this coming season. At least I hope not. Odom has deficiencies in his game that make him extremely undesirable in my eyes, especially for our team.