Commissioner wants to scale down noise, pyrotechnics

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3392778

CLEVELAND -- David Stern's senses have been assaulted, and the commissioner feels it's time to turn down the noise and scale back the pyrotechnics at NBA games.
Stern went on a rant Monday night prior to Game 4 of the Celtics-Cavaliers series when asked if the trend toward loud, fiery in-arena entertainment gimmicks had gotten out of hand.

"I'm going to get in trouble for this, but I think they're ridiculous. I think the noise, the fire, the smoke is a kind of assault that we should seriously consider reviewing in whether it's really necessary given the quality of our game," Stern said.

Ben Wallace said the smoke from pregame fireworks in Boston prior to Game 2 worsened the dizzy condition that knocked him out of that game after just four minutes, and the Cavs decided to keep him in the locker room prior to Game 3 so he would not have a similar reaction during pregame introductions in Cleveland. The Cavs put on one of the league's most elaborate player-introduction rituals, with four huge jets shooting large streams of fire out of the corners of the center-court scoreboard.

"It may be that these are the maniacal rantings of a fan from a different era, and I recognize that, but you know I'm sitting there waiting for the next cannon to go off, and then the fire heats up the arena so the temperature in the arena rises by 15 degrees -- that's if you can see it because you're still waiting for the smoke, which is chemical, to clear, which is invariably done by the end of the half," Stern said.

"But I always bite my tongue because I'm not the demographic that wants to be assaulted by loud rap, smoke, pyrotechnics and chemicals. It makes me sort of outdated, but I think it's time for us to say, 'Hey guys, let's look at it one more time,'" he said.

Stern has had similar concerns in the past, and in 1996 the league strictly enforced a little-known rule on maximum in-arena decibel levels when the Utah Jazz were competing in the Western Conference finals against the Seattle SuperSonics.

"I think that's what has happened is that very well-intentioned people feel that it's their obligation to root their team on to victory, to urge them," he said. "But what they do is, they think if you turn up the loudspeaker it's going to help them perform better -- even though there are babies in the building.

"I think we should have it as a time capsule item, because in some future century people are going to look and say, 'What were they thinking about?'" he said. "And I'm positive that Red [Auerbach] is watching and getting ready to call me, because I think we've gone over the top."

Chris Sheridan covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

I'm with Stern on this. It's really gotten pretty ridiculous. I think it's gotten so loud and constant it actually detracts from the enjoyment of the actual game.

I can understand his point of view, and I agree with it for the most part. I think the NBA should steer clear of limiting the PA systems and the player introductions, but they should definitely keep strict tabs on the pyrotechnics and other histrionics, like what caused the delay in the Hornets game. Those things are getting a little bit out of hand. But I wouldn't want to see too much policing of the way the PA announcers interact with the fans and the way the player introductions are done.

The Bulls had the best introduction ever, and a lot of teams have tried to imitate that, but are now going overboard with the smoke and fire and all that jazz.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The pyrotechnics inside a building with limited exits and 17,000+ people has always seemed more than a little problematic to me, as is the smoke. The noise level I can usually deal with, although I think the idea of turning up the volume to try and get the fans involved is counter-productive.

There's a happy medium, I'm sure, and I'm glad to see the league at least draw attention to the problem.

I see some of the arena productions, and I'm immediately reminded of Circus Maximus. Have we really gotten to the point where the game isn't enough? Aside from the "dance teams" (and I'm only saying that to prevent the screams of utter outrage ;) ), I don't see why people have to be constantly bombarded with various forms of "entertainment." They're there to see a basketball game. That should be enough... If it's not, then I don't think it's the team's fault. I think it's more a sign of the times - some people have the attention span of goldfish.

Last edited:
Don't know why he said 'loud rap.' Why not loud music instead? A different choice of words speaks volumes. Its no secret he hates the hip-hop culture. I agree with all the complaints about decibels and fire stuff, I don't like having to scream at the person next to me.

but Stern. Why say rap? It seems he's bent on keeping hip-hop out of the NBA. Next he's going to make all the players take English lessons.

Yeah, the "rap" reference was probably a bad move, but I agree with his sentiments in general. This recent move by the Spurs to play music throughout gameplay was too much, for me. And that's all kinds of music, not just rap.

The Hornets fire extinguishing episode was probably the last straw.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think Stern's comment is being over-analyzed. Take the whole comment in context and it's not about rap music. It's about the whole idea of louder, flashier, etc.

"It may be that these are the maniacal rantings of a fan from a different era, and I recognize that, but you know I'm sitting there waiting for the next cannon to go off, and then the fire heats up the arena so the temperature in the arena rises by 15 degrees -- that's if you can see it because you're still waiting for the smoke, which is chemical, to clear, which is invariably done by the end of the half," Stern said.

"But I always bite my tongue because I'm not the demographic that wants to be assaulted by loud rap, smoke, pyrotechnics and chemicals. It makes me sort of outdated, but I think it's time for us to say, 'Hey guys, let's look at it one more time,'" he said.
And remember, "rap" can refer to more than music. I think he's talking about any uberloud vocal stuff going on, be it "rap" music or talking, etc.

I think Stern's comment is being over-analyzed. Take the whole comment in context and it's not about rap music. It's about the whole idea of louder, flashier, etc.

And remember, "rap" can refer to more than music. I think he's talking about any uberloud vocal stuff going on, be it "rap" music or talking, etc.
Let's not break it down that far ... It's pretty obvious that he was talking about rap music, and I don't think it's a stretch to assume that Stern doesn't want to be assaulted by loud rap and smoke; neither he nor his demographic.

But that's what's problematic, is that it's not just his demographic. The only thing Stern and I have in common is that we both like basketball, so I'm not part of his demographic, not by a long shot. But I don't want to be "assaulted" by those things either. I listen to some rap music, and I sometimes play it loud in my car, but I make an effort not to disturb others with it, because I know that not everyone wants to hear what I'm listening to. I know that because I don't want to hear what other people are listening to most of the time, especially when it's loud, obnoxious rap with profane and vulgar lyrics. So I can relate.

But I don't want to be "assaulted" by any kind of music. Especially when I'm trying to enjoy another form of entertainment, plus enjoy the company of those around me. And that's why I think Stern would do well to leave his personal tastes out of the matter, because we all have to deal with things that we'd rather not deal with, most of the time for the benefit of other people. And if Stern wants to reach out to the younger generations of fans that will carry the League once his demographic is no longer viable, he needs to check his tastes at the door and be objective. Who cares what you like if the fans like it?

Like you said earlier, there's way too much going on at the game anymore, and I agree with you, but Stern's personal tastes definitely have a lot to do with his comments, and there's no sense in trying to get around that.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
True. :p

No Stern shouldn't have said "rap," because it is definitely not just rap that is loud and pervasive. I'd dislike constant loud classical or Sousa marches just as much.

Hey, I have no use for most (not universal) rap myself. Nor the slimey/thug aspects of hip hop culture. Nor actually do 75% of the paying fans, so that's not an inconsiderable concern.

But the pyrotechics etc. at the beginning? Who cares? Its just pregame stuff. I am far more concerned/in agreement with the constant PA system noise during the actual game (perhaps trying desperaately to cover up a lack of fan noise) than I am about a pregame show. And actually whenever I see the smoke left over from one of those in Boston or whatever, it makes me nostalgic -- it actually looks a lot like the old Boston Garden or Madison Square Garden did back in the days when people would come and actually light up cigars/cigarettes. Nothing could be more old school than that smokey haze.

Hey, I have no use for most (not universal) rap myself. Nor the slimey/thug aspects of hip hop culture. Nor actually do 75% of the paying fans, so that's not an inconsiderable concern.

But the pyrotechics etc. at the beginning? Who cares? Its just pregame stuff. I am far more concerned/in agreement with the constant PA system noise during the actual game (perhaps trying desperaately to cover up a lack of fan noise) than I am about a pregame show. And actually whenever I see the smoke left over from one of those in Boston or whatever, it makes me nostalgic -- it actually looks a lot like the old Boston Garden or Madison Square Garden did back in the days when people would come and actually light up cigars/cigarettes. Nothing could be more old school than that smokey haze.
Well, if it's bothering players and fans (like the episode with Ben Wallace, and if it bothered him, I'm sure it bothered a few more of the 17,000 in attendance), and if it's causing unnecessary delays, like in New Orleans, then it needs to at least be better regulated.

Regarding the game attendance and crowd noise, I think the NBA needs to direct attention at putting a better product on the floor night in and night out and lowering ticket prices a bit, and then covering up a lack of crowd noise won't be an issue. If we're worried about the fans, do something to, first of all, make the experience worth their while, and then direct secondary attention to the music played in the arena.

But I don't think Stern needs to police the arena entertainment, aside from keeping teams from doing anything that puts those in attendance in unnecessary danger or playing offensive and vulgar music, which I don't think happens anyways.

The first time I read that...I thought he's talking about rap music.

Now that I've read it again, I think he actually meant the announcers talking.
I doubt that. There's plenty of better ways to get your point across about the announcers without complaining about being assaulted by "loud rap". I think it's pretty clear what he was expressing concern about.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
As someone who is close to David Stern in age, I still think the word "rap" could have been just what Elise10 has pointed out...

But bottom line is there are problems. The smoke is unpleasant and undoubtedly unhealthy. The need to fill every second with noise or bright things or something is indicative of advanced ADD for at least a portion of society.

What the Warriors did last year during the playoffs was perfect. No overbaring PA annoucer trying to rile up the crowd and no hip hop beats every other possession. Let the crowd do their own thing, it creates beautiful things.

Last edited:
What the Warriors did last year during the playoffs was perfect. No overbaring PA annoucer trying to rile up the crowd and no hip hop beats every other possetion. Let the crowd do their own thing, it creates beautiful things.
That was easy, though and Kings fans did it for a lot of years. When the team gets the crowd excited, you don't rely on the music and noise prompts so much. Actually, at Arco, it was so loud you couldn't really hear any of that stuff. Heck, you couldn't even hear yourself think.

On the other hand, I found it rather embarrassing this last season (mainly early season) to have all the rah-rah noise and music with the majority of the Kings fans sitting there like bumps on a log. They seemed to tone it down as the season went along, thank goodness, because it did look silly. They would pump it up a little in a game, once the crowd seemed to get going a bit.

If only all arenas were like ARCO where the pyrotechnics are drowned out by the crowd noise during the starting lineups! When the Kings made the playoffs, there were always good shows put on for the starting lineups, but they centered around the dancers, the mascot and other members of the entertainment staff. Any pyrotechnics were always drowned out by the crowd noise anyways!

VF21 said:
But bottom line is there are problems. The smoke is unpleasant and undoubtedly unhealthy. The need to fill every second with noise or bright things or something is indicative of advanced ADD for at least a portion of society.
Kids and casuals. We are like the smokers to which the cigarette industry knows they no longer need to advertise.

I assume you were a fan of the old Celtics so you remember 1969. I have the ASG from that season on disc. It's like a different universe compared to the league now in every. way. possible. We've progressed so far since then that we've looped around and actually have been devolving for about 10 yrs.