[UTA/LAL]Talk about a paradox

Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
How mad will Jazz fans be if Derek Fisher plays an integral part in sending their team home in the second round of the playoffs this year?

This is going to be a good series. If the Jazz hit more of their open shots they win the game today. They were just abusing the lakers on the offensive boards.

Wow! A Lakers thread and I didn't have to start it... Does Kobe play like the MVP today? The main difference between CP3 and Kobe... Kobe takes the best player of the other team... not to mention more clutch, better defense, and more points... Kobe proved to be the MVP today... Yeah baby!!!!! :D

Hi VF21... just enjoying my team's win... ;) Don't ban me.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Wow! A Lakers thread and I didn't have to start it... Does Kobe play like the MVP today? The main difference between CP3 and Kobe... Kobe takes the best player of the other team... not to mention more clutch, better defense, and more points... Kobe proved to be the MVP today... Yeah baby!!!!! :D

Kobe gets to shoot 20 FTs a night and never fouls out. Much easier to take opponents best player when You know - they won't foul You out. If they called things on Kobe that they called on Kirilenko - Kobe would have fouled out in the first half including about 6-7 offensive fouls where he protects himself by shoving the off arm into opponents chest to create separation.

Well, one positive from today's game -- the refs ignored each and every one of Derek Fisher's flops (I think). :)

There was one awesome one where Williams barely brushed up against DFish and Fisher launched himself about four feet backwards right in front of the ref. Ref just stared at him and probably about busted up.

As to the game, I really thought the Lakers were trying pretty hard to give the game away. Jazz just couldn't hit a shot. They need to steal the next game though which would appear to be doable if they decide to play with the effort they did in the second half.

Hey I like Kobe but come on now. This is taking the love(Kobe/Lackers) fest a little too far.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

You know what? You've just about worn out your welcome around here, at least IMHO...

Look around. Do you see any other Laker fans here gloating? No? Hrm... I wonder why.

Perhaps it's because our long-time Laker fan members, unlike you, realize it's pretty silly and childish to carry on. This is exactly why I - and I think probably a lot of other Kings fans - detest most Laker fans. You're the stereotypical poor loser who is even a worse winner.

I strongly suggest you knock it off.

You know what? You've just about worn out your welcome around here, at least IMHO...

Look around. Do you see any other Laker fans here gloating? No? Hrm... I wonder why.

Perhaps it's because our long-time Laker fan members, unlike you, realize it's pretty silly and childish to carry on. This is exactly why I - and I think probably a lot of other Kings fans - detest most Laker fans. You're the stereotypical poor loser who is even a worse winner.

I strongly suggest you knock it off.
I don't see ANY Laker fan gloating.

Whatever the Jazz changed for the second half was working. They would have had a chance to win it if Boozer had not fouled out.

The Jazz have a good chance to get a win in LA.

Brick, you were right about Derek Fisher. Everyone's been talking all year about the improvement of Bynum, Vujacic, Farmar and Turiaf, and then about the Gasol trade, but the impact of the Fisher acquisition has kind of been forgotten, at least by me.

But watching that game last night, I realized how much of an impact he has made on that team. They have a saavy veteran point guard with playoff experience who gets after it on defense (even though he will get burned by better point guards, and Deron Williams will remind us of that from now on in this series, I think), knows the offense and will step up and hit big shots in big games. 22 points last night, I think, at least when I started flipping channels.

And then when you compare him to Smush "Team Defense" Parker, the difference is night and day. I didn't think Fisher would make that much of a difference, and the fact that other players on the team got better and they made a big trade has a lot to do with it, but the Lakers lucked out with the Fisher situation.

Brick, you were right about Derek Fisher. Everyone's been talking all year about the improvement of Bynum, Vujacic, Farmar and Turiaf, and then about the Gasol trade, but the impact of the Fisher acquisition has kind of been forgotten, at least by me.
The biggest threat Fisher can provide is the corner 3 and wide open threes elsewhere. He hits corner 3s at least as well as Byron Scott did. (Then Vujacic has hit 17 of his last 33 treys.) They couldn't ask for more than that, but Farmar is the short, quick, rangy, non-initiating 1 that Phil's had on his LA teams as a 2nd look on defense for the AI's of the league. They have a lot of versatility at their guard spots where they were Kobe and garbage last year.

Kobe using his elbow - must be the first.
Man, I hate Kobe. And giving him the MVP only added to his putrid ego. I don't care how good he plays, he's one of the few people on the planet that I actually hate.

Come on, Jazz... Every game I have to watch the Lakers makes me puke.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Kobe isn't any less dirty than Bowen. He is just much better player.

Jazz might win this one but won't the next one because the refs will exactly know what needs to be done. I have never seen a road team in Utah getting all the calls before.

piksi

Hall of Famer
when Kobe slipped with 3 minutes to go - I expected Bavetta to call flagrant 2 on gravity. When he shot hairball in the next posession - I figured someone must have moved the basket to the right.

Seriously, as soon as Bavetta retires 30 years from now - lakers should retire #27

Kobe really got a benefit call when he was "tripped" by Kirilenko, and by tripped I mean Kirilenko's feet were in the spot first, there was no body contact, and Kobe's feet bumped into Kirilenko's. The Jazz and the refs tried to give that game to the Lakers, but the Lakers weren't able to grab it. Shame.

Kobe gets to shoot 20 FTs a night and never fouls out. Much easier to take opponents best player when You know - they won't foul You out. If they called things on Kobe that they called on Kirilenko - Kobe would have fouled out in the first half including about 6-7 offensive fouls where he protects himself by shoving the off arm into opponents chest to create separation.
thats whats amazing about this whole debacle...

Its funny how many proclaim him an excellent defender when in reality he gets away with everything such as swiping at the opponents hands, constantly bumping them, elbowing from the back, yet hes Kobe and none of it is called.

Yes what I wrote seems like utter hatred for the man, but look beyond the hate and you will see exactly what Im talking about.
Kobe doesnt play real D. He is smart in the sense that he knows what his starpower holds in the refs eyes. The amount of handchecking that is allowed for Kobe would make him perfect for the 70's and 80's era ( just dont put him on the receiving end, or else the tears will come flowing).

That being said, this is why I love the Jazz as well. They can care less about picking up cheap fouls, but as long as they send a message to the opponent that they will knock their heads out if they screw with them.

In particular I adore Matt Harping. When you give Ron Artest a run for the money in the post, you know your tough. I was beaming with joy when he was bodying up Kobe and Kobe for the first time couldnt charge through his opponent.

thats whats amazing about this whole debacle...
In particular I adore Matt Harping. When you give Ron Artest a run for the money in the post, you know your tough. I was beaming with joy when he was bodying up Kobe and Kobe for the first time couldnt charge through his opponent.
Matt Harpring does epitomize toughness, but he does straddle the line between dirty at times. I guess it comes with the territory, though.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Am I the only one who was hoping the Utah crowd might chant "MVP" as the sour-faced Kobe left the court?

Yes, I know it would have been wrong and would probably only serve to motivate Mr. Bryant but I would have loved to hear it...

I honestly expect the warm and fuzzy "team" feeling to be gone after the end of tonight's game. The look Kobe gave Luke after the errant inbounds was priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.