Kings Select in the 2008 NBA DRAFT??

Thompson should not be in the discussion for the 12th pick.
Ok first....last year Petrie was rumored to almost pick Aaron Brooks at 10....

so

A senior, good shooter, shot blocker, rebounder, a legit 6'10" next to Hawes........Petrie has been to atleast 1 of his games.....the freaking 12th pick......atleast he is not as raw as McGee,Randolph and Jordan,

Petrie doesnt pick projects. I think Jason Thompson is wayyy underrated. we will see in his kings tryouts!

also, out of McGee, Randolph and Jordan......McGee has the better chance I think of being the kings pick. He has been around Sacramento alot Lately.....plus his mom is a basketball coach here.

Ok first....last year Petrie was rumored to almost pick Aaron Brooks at 10....

so

A senior, good shooter, shot blocker, rebounder, a legit 6'10" next to Hawes........Petrie has been to atleast 1 of his games.....the freaking 12th pick......atleast he is not as raw as McGee,Randolph and Jordan,

Petrie doesnt pick projects. I think Jason Thompson is wayyy underrated. we will see in his kings tryouts!

also, out of McGee, Randolph and Jordan......McGee has the better chance I think of being the kings pick. He has been around Sacramento alot Lately.....plus his mom is a basketball coach here.
How did the topic change to what Petrie will do? Stay on topic. I said he should not be in the discussion for the 12th pick, I don't pretend to know who Petrie likes at the 12th pick. Is he as raw as some of the guys you mentioned? No, but that's to be expected since he's a senior and those guys are freshmen/sophomores. So his upside is limited compared to them and although he can block some shots, he's still pretty weak defensively. If were going to pick a prospect that has questionable defensive awareness/IQ but good physical tools, I'd rather it be McGee since he's still young and has lot of room to improve and while Thompson does too, it's not as much as McGee does. Still, I'd prefer not to pick either of them

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Never said he should.. Someone had asked about him. I actually have him going late 20s. I do think
his stock will rise after the combine though.
Yeah, unless his stock shoots up real high, we really can't grab Thompson with the #12. If it turns out that Petrie thinks Thompson is the best available, we'd probably be best off to:
1. Draft NBA consensus BPA (possibly Randolph, Batum, Augustin, Westbrook...?) Take a guy we can live with if we can't deal him.
2. Hope Thompson is around for Seattle's #24 (pretty likely as of now). In that case, offer whoever we got at #12 to Seattle along with our #45 for their #24, #32, and a future second rounder.

We get the guy we want, a high-second this year, and a high second in the future (because Seattle will be bad for a few years anyhow) - and we pay our pick less money than if we took him at #12. Seattle gets somebody more highly coveted.

I'm not saying that Seattle would be the only possible trade partner, just that we might be able to get best value out of them if they bit. I guess my point is that if you're really confident that your BPA is going to drop another ten slots (first round only), you've got to think "trade down". Pry something of value away from somebody else, get the player you wanted anyway, and pay them less money. Obviously it's a risk but it's one you have to take. I mean, imagine Petrie taking Brooks with #10 last year when Phoenix SOLD their #24. That would have been a disaster.

Petries draft history shows that Randolph,Jordan And McGee have no chance if all three are still on the board. Petrie Doesnt take a chance on Raw talent.

Last time maybe what......GW?

and as for this:
So his upside is limited
How do you know that? does rider have the best big man coaches in the ncaa?

Petries draft history shows that Randolph,Jordan And McGee have no chance if all three are still on the board. Petrie Doesnt take a chance on Raw talent.

Last time maybe what......GW?

and as for this:

How do you know that? does rider have the best big man coaches in the ncaa?
No one is saying they are Petrie picks, you're changing the subject.

Wow, way to blatantly take that quote out of context. I said it was limited COMPARED to the others. Nice try.

No one is saying they are Petrie picks, you're changing the subject.

Wow, way to blatantly take that quote out of context. I said it was limited COMPARED to the others. Nice try.
It might not be so limited compared to others, I know he's a senior but he's still only 21 so it's not like he's old or anything. I doubt the coaches there are too great and he could still get a lot stronger. It could be like a PF version of the KMart pick, but when you look back Kevin should have gone way higher in his draft(top 5). Not saying we SHOULD, but I wouldn't kill myself if it happened because he produced well in college, he still has plenty of potential, and he's still not that old. Rodney Stuckey was selected by Detroit last year at #15, he's done pretty well for them and he was from a small school also but put up big numbers.

I still would like to see if we can get DeAndre Jordan or McGee even or Arthur. Oh yeah, ESPN.com has where scouts have told those players they'd likely be selected if the draft were held today.

Not an insider...can you transcribe the article? Or break down the gist of it?
Don't know how much I can give you that would matter. Not sure I can actually put the whole list here.

The list is actually from the NBA draft committee and is their projections (as of 4/18/08) as to possible draft order.

This is the information that college underclassmen, parents and coaches are getting if they call the NBA. The categories are broken into Lottery, Mid-First Round, Late-First Round, and Second Round.

I like what he has to say about Randolph, calls him an excellent rebounder. I'm glad he refers to Wright and Bosh comparisons, so I don't feel like I was talking out my *** ;) . Now Randolph will probably not put on a lot of weight over his career, considering his skinny frame, but it's probably not unreasonable for him to get up to about 230; so maybe he could get enough strength to be a decent man defender, and he has more than enough tools to be a very good shot blocker.

I'm not an "ESPN insider" either, but the list is being reported by Chad Ford, who allegedly got a leaked copy. My guess is that it's not very different from Ford's list, except that Ford's may be more detailed and up to date (the supposed NBA list included guys who have withdrawn already).

Ford's list: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=InOut
Maybe later I'll compare the lists and see if there's much difference. I can't right now.

I'm not an "ESPN insider" either, but the list is being reported by Chad Ford, who allegedly got a leaked copy. My guess is that it's not very different from Ford's list, except that Ford's may be more detailed and up to date (the supposed NBA list included guys who have withdrawn already).

Ford's list: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=InOut
Haha Ford stole my Robin Lopez - Anderson Varejao comparison..

Anyhow he has Hickson, and Hendrix cracking the first round.. In a perfect world maybe, but not everyone is drafting a PF this year. Most of his assumptions are pretty true, but I can't see Budinger going before #15.. I think the whole Steve Kerr - Arizona connection will be the reason Phx drafts Budinger... Also his lack of D will probably keep him out of the top 14...

Also Mbah a Moute will not go in the first round.. Sorry Ford...

Plaisted should return to school as well because he's probably mid 2nd round at best.

Last edited:

Anyhow he has Hickson, and Hendrix cracking the first round.. In a perfect world maybe, but not everyone is drafting a PF this year. Most of his assumptions are pretty true, but I can't see Budinger going before #15.. I think the whole Steve Kerr - Arizona connection will be the reason Phx drafts Budinger... Also his lack of D will probably keep him out of the top 14...

Plaisted should return to school as well because he's probably mid 2nd round at best.

Mbah a Moute in the first round. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha He He He He He Ha Ha Ha. Whew, my side hurts. I wonder if Ford has actually seen these guys play. Hey, being that everyone is so hot on potential and athleticism, why not Budinger? He's very athletic, so he can learn to play defense. Right! I don't know why, but every time I see Budinger play, I think I'm watching Brent Barry. Too many cervesa's maybe.

Yea, the Budinger projection was off, at best he'll go 15.

Yea, I thought his projection of Mbah a Moute was weird, I don't think he'll even be drafted.

Last edited:
We might miss out on a Hendrix/White/Hickson in the 2nd round because of Hansbrough off the draft board... Kind of sucks because White will probably move to Thompson's place who will take Hansbrough's place..

Oh well....

Guarantee Lopez will have a better offensive game than Varejao in a few years, if not sooner. Don't let the hair fool you.

Agree about Budinger, though. He really failed to impress me this year. Very athletic, yes, but he doesn't seem to use it well.

Guarantee Lopez will have a better offensive game than Varejao in a few years, if not sooner. Don't let the hair fool you.

Agree about Budinger, though. He really failed to impress me this year. Very athletic, yes, but he doesn't seem to use it well.
This is a snippet from my Robin Lopez bio;

"a taller more skilled Anderson Varejao type player." :D

Noah would be a good comparison too..
Robin is a better free throw shooter, which is not saying much. He also has a better offensive game, which is not saying much. As you can see, I'm not a big Noah fan. As far as Noah's ceiling. Offensivily, unless he completely revamps his shot, he's reached his ceiling. His only game is put backs. If Noah had played for Rider, no one would have even heard of him.. I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself.

Noah is going to be as good as Chandler in a couple of seasons. He's already showed how his athleticism and size could help the bulls next season.

UConn center to stay in college

STORRS, Conn. (AP)—Connecticut center Hasheem Thabeet plans to return to school for his junior season instead of entering the NBA draft.
The 7-foot-3 native of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, was projected as a first-round pick in the draft.
Thabeet averaged more than 10 points and almost eight rebounds a game as a sophomore, and ranked third in the nation with 147 blocked shots. He was the Big East’s defensive player of the year, helping UConn to a 24-9 record.
“As a team, we took a step in the right direction this year, but I look forward to us working together to win a Big East Championship and making a run at a national championship,” Thabeet said in a statement released Sunday by UConn. “I really enjoy being here, getting a great education and spending time with my friends and teammates.”
Thabeet, 21, has been playing organized basketball for fewer than six years.

“Hasheem has made as much progress as any player I have coached in my 36 years and if he continues that incredible progress, he will help us take the next step as a team and help himself become one of the best players in college basketball,” UConn coach Jim Calhoun said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;...slug=ap-connecticut-thabeet&prov=ap&type=lgns

Good for him.. He's not close to being ready yet.

Much like Collison staying this shouldn't affect much at #12. It does, however, have ramifications if we wanted to get another mid-late first rounder to go after guys like Arthur, Thompson, or Lopez.