Kings Select in the 2008 NBA DRAFT??

The Kings won't and shouldn't draft based on needs. That's not relevant in our situation. We are building towards the future, not trying to solidify an 8th seed for now. The only positions we should be hesitant to draft is SG and C, because we have those positions filled, although if we get one we can't pass on we should take them.

We don't need anything right now. What we need are players with potential to be a cornerstone of our franchise. Arthur has that potential, Thompson doesn't (IMO). Not to mention Thompson is a senior and doesn't have an awful lot of upside.

I hate this "needs" theory. It makes absolutely zero sense to a rebuilding team unless some spots are already filled. Right now, our "needs" are PG, SF, and PF.
Thompson is a PF, and could be the PF of the future for us. Does that satisfy "needs" for you? He has potential, in addition to having a MUCH higher basement than Arthur. Arthur has all sorts of red flags to his name, most discouraging is his lack of rebounding and being a black hole on offense, despite playing on a really talented team. Yeah, he's athletic and blocks shots, but he doesn't have that franchise player cieling you're talking about.

Thompson meanwhile is already averaging 20/10, and he increases his averages when playing against better competition, dropping a 20/20 game on Beasley and Kansas State. At some point, you have to come to the realization that we're NOT drafting a franchise player with the 13th pick, and that taking a chance on a high risk, medium reward player is just bad drafting. It's the same type of logic that made Chicago take Tyrus Thomas over Brandon Roy.

Thompson is a PF, and could be the PF of the future for us. Does that satisfy "needs" for you? He has potential, in addition to having a MUCH higher basement than Arthur. Arthur has all sorts of red flags to his name, most discouraging is his lack of rebounding and being a black hole on offense, despite playing on a really talented team. Yeah, he's athletic and blocks shots, but he doesn't have that franchise player cieling you're talking about.

Thompson meanwhile is already averaging 20/10, and he increases his averages when playing against better competition, dropping a 20/20 game on Beasley and Kansas State. At some point, you have to come to the realization that we're NOT drafting a franchise player with the 13th pick, and that taking a chance on a high risk, medium reward player is just bad drafting. It's the same type of logic that made Chicago take Tyrus Thomas over Brandon Roy.
Arthur is anything but a medium ceiling, he's commonly mentioned as a raw high potential prospect, and that's because he has a good fram, he's athletic, long, and has the making of a good high low offensive game.

Also about your reference to Chicago, I think the name you're looking for is Aldridge not Brandon Roy; there was no way Chicago was picking Roy when they had Hinrich and Gordon as their backcourt of the future.

I agree, he sounds very interesting. And he's only 18, the skinny aspect doesn't worry me.
The combo forward and weak jumpshot is really more that worries me, but he's young and raw so that's as expected. Even if he turned out to be a Josh Smith type it would still be a plus move. The strong ball handling is a pretty impressive trait for a dude 6-11 and so young, if he can improve his mid range J, add some strength, and learn to be a team player he could be a pretty impressive player.

Hey Vlade you're a UCLA fan right? Do you think Russel Westbrook might come out this year? Everyone is on the Collison bandwagon but he doesn't impress me and I am REALLY impressed by Westbrook. I like his athleticism and passing ability. Collison has the ball more and Westbrook averages slightly more APG. He has nice size for a PG too(6'3'') and long arms. He has more potential IMO and is having a decent year. I'd take him with our pick. What's up with him dude?

Hey Vlade you're a UCLA fan right? Do you think Russel Westbrook might come out this year? Everyone is on the Collison bandwagon but he doesn't impress me and I am REALLY impressed by Westbrook. I like his athleticism and passing ability. Collison has the ball more and Westbrook averages slightly more APG. He has nice size for a PG too(6'3'') and long arms. He has more potential IMO and is having a decent year. I'd take him with our pick. What's up with him dude?
Sorry to disappoint, but I'm not a big follower of UCLA, I try more to catch what I can of college bball, I do watch UCLA more than anytone else in particular though. Westbrook kinda reminds me a lot of Baron Davis physically and athletically, he's long, explosive, quick, and strong. He's got all the tools to be a very good defender at the 1. He's got solid court vision and passing skills, but he's unproven as far as running an offense and being a primary ball handler. It's hard to project his playmaking abilities and it's anyone's guess really, but I doubt he ever becomes a top assist guy in the league, maybe around 6 in his prime. Monta Ellis type. I'd probably take him over Collison, but there are still others out there I like; depends where we end up picking and who declares.

HFM, you make a good case for Thompson. You sold me on him a little and you weren't even trying, but I'm still of the opinion that Arthur has a higher ceiling and would be a better pick for us. No biggie, just a difference of opinions.

If this guy is here with one of our 2nd rounders, we have to take Rodrigue Beaubois. That's assuming we don't take a PG in the first round. Low risk/High reward type pick. If he doesn't pan out, who cares, not many 2nd rounders do. But I think he has the potential to be a very good PG in the NBA. He's extremely fast, has a huge wingspan (6'10''), good size for a PG and good passer. Also a very good defender. Unfortunately doesn't have much of a shot, at least doesn't shoot with consistency, has shown ability though. If we take a big in the first and this dude is here in the 2nd, we'd be crazy not to take him. I guess he's somewhat of an unknown, so this is just my opinion.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
As I've stated before, I'm having a hard time getting excited about Arthur. I've seen him play several times. He's very athletic, but so is Thompson. Maybe just quite as much. Arthur is a terrible passer, which is one of the reasons that I just don't think Petrie will take him. He gets trapped in the double team as a result and ends up taking some god awful shots. Also, for as quick as he is, with the jumping ability he has, he doesn't grab many rebounds. I don't think he likes to bang down low. He is a little skinny.

Don't be surprised if Petrie takes someone in the first round who will play in Europe for another year. Gallinari springs to mind. If not, I would bet any second round pick will be a European player.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
There seems to be a consensus developing about the top 5 picks in the draft (Beasley, Rose, Gordon, Bayless, Lopez) so looking at all the guys coming after that, and not knowing which spot we'll be drafting at, I compiled a top 10:

1. OJ Mayo - Considering his size, work-ethic, and already developed skill-set he seems like the guy with the highest ceiling outside of the top 5. His defense is already good enough to place him amongst the best PGs in that category.
2. DeAndre Jordan - This ranking has more to do with potential than anything else. His body type and athleticism draw comparisons to Dwight Howard. Still has a lot to learn though.
3. Donte Greene - I really like this guy. Watching him play, he looks like an NBA player. His size and shooting ability is comparable to Rashard Lewis. He's been bumped back to 2009 in some mock drafts though so maybe he's staying another year?
4. Nicolas Batum - Looks like he could be a dominant wing player in the NBA. Excellent scorer and defender.
5. Roy Hibbert - Throwback center with excellent size, basketball IQ, and scoring ability. Not a dominant defender, but a good one. He's not going to outrun anybody but he could be one of the best halfcourt centers in a few years.
6. Marreese Speights - Ideal size for PF spot, draws comparisons to a young Al Jefferson. Not as developed in his post game, and similarly undisciplined on defense, but he's got all the tools to be a dominant PF if he can develop them.
7. Kevin Love - Size is not ideal for his position, but he's impressed with his toughness and competitive edge. Everyone talks about his outlet passing. He's slow and not particularly long but I rank him higher because he's less risky than a lot of these guys.
8. DJ Augustin - Excellent scorer and playmaker, no question he can lead a team. He's going to get torched on defense though so I'd be hesitant to install him as the PG of the future.
9. Danilo Gallinari - Not much is available on this guy but he gets glowing reviews from the various draft sites. A smart do-it-all wing player he can be a scorer or a playmaker. Can he hold his own defensively?
10. Anthony Randolph - Lanky and skilled PF with good size and length but he's going to get pushed around on defense. Shows potential as a weakside shotblocker. Eerily similar to Brandon Wright.

Guys I eliminated for various reasons -

Hasheem Thabeet (excellent shotblocker, but can he guard post players man to man?)
Darrell Arthur (terrible passer, below average rebounder, basketball IQ is a big ?)
Darren Collison (I'm a big fan of his defense, but his shooting ability is questionable - at best probably a top backup PG (Brevin Knight?) and I think we're looking for a starter in this draft)
Chase Budinger (good shooter, set-up man, athletic but he plays SG which we don't need anytime soon and his defense is average at best)
Ty Lawson (blazingly fast, good distributer but his size makes him a liability on defense - like Collison he's probably a backup PG in the NBA)

Last edited:
if we go big with the first rounder, how about Goran Dragic with one of our 2nds? hes a big guard. looks like he has a little nastiness.
everyone has been talking about getting patrick mills, a freshmen outta of st marys in the 2nd round, i personally agree with them because i have seen him play, but i havent seen dragic play so im not sure.

I draft Augustin over either Arthur or Thompson easy.

Me too. He's going to be a really good player. He shares some qualities with Steve Nash and Chris Paul. My main fear is he goes in the 8-10 area, and we're in the 10-12 area. I wonder if we could trade Miller to move up to 8 or 9. But I've watched a ton of Augustin. If Petrie can, he needs to get him.

I'm still big on Thabeet. I mean what part of 7'3" with good explosiveness do you not like? Plus, the more I look at Hawes, I think that he shouldn't gain too much weight, or at least the weight needed to bang around with the best Centers in the league. If we believe in Hawes' offensive game, we need a defensive freak to pair up with him. Instead of buying low on a defensive PF, we should make Thabeet our Center of the future and relocate Hawes to PF.

Hawes gains weight, but stays light on his feet. That helps avoid future injury. Moving to PF makes him less of a defensive liability too. We wouldn't be relying on Williams either. Maybe he can become a part of the rotation. Thabeet can bang around with the big boys and tower over pretty much everyone but Yao.

I said it before and I'll say it again, we should take a long hard look at Rodrigue Beaubois for our 2nd round pick. Would be a perfect project for Reggie and the crew.

Down the line...

Beaubois (6'3")
Martin (6'7")
Garcia (6'7")
Hawes (7'0")
Thabeet (7'3")

everyone has been talking about getting patrick mills, a freshmen outta of st marys in the 2nd round, i personally agree with them because i have seen him play, but i havent seen dragic play so im not sure.
I know, i am the one who stated that, i stated dragic incase mills does stay. dragic is a taller tony parker type, but has given a couple facials!

I'm still big on Thabeet. I mean what part of 7'3" with good explosiveness do you not like? Plus, the more I look at Hawes, I think that he shouldn't gain too much weight, or at least the weight needed to bang around with the best Centers in the league. If we believe in Hawes' offensive game, we need a defensive freak to pair up with him. Instead of buying low on a defensive PF, we should make Thabeet our Center of the future and relocate Hawes to PF.

Hawes gains weight, but stays light on his feet. That helps avoid future injury. Moving to PF makes him less of a defensive liability too. We wouldn't be relying on Williams either. Maybe he can become a part of the rotation. Thabeet can bang around with the big boys and tower over pretty much everyone but Yao.

I said it before and I'll say it again, we should take a long hard look at Rodrigue Beaubois for our 2nd round pick. Would be a perfect project for Reggie and the crew.

Down the line...

Beaubois (6'3")
Martin (6'7")
Garcia (6'7")
Hawes (7'0")
Thabeet (7'3")
I agree with you on Thabeet. But I don't think he'll be their at our 12/13th pick. Completely agree with you on Rodrigue Beaubois (see my earlier post). If he's there at our 2nd rounder we need to nab him.

Laary, not sure of Dragic. He's a decent prospect, but wouldn't give us anything we don't have in Beno. Dragic is a little like Vujacic. Good sized guard, can shoot. Decent passer, smart player. Not much else. I wouldn't be opposed to taking him since it's always a good idea to draft young European talent and let them develop, but I'm guessing there'll be better prospects available. Beaubois being just one.

I agree with you on Thabeet. But I don't think he'll be their at our 12/13th pick. Completely agree with you on Rodrigue Beaubois (see my earlier post). If he's there at our 2nd rounder we need to nab him.
One mock draft has him going 10th to the Bulls. Another mock draft has him going 22nd to the Warriors. I think he'll go closer to 10 than 22, but I'm praying he is available at our pick.

One mock draft has him going 10th to the Bulls. Another mock draft has him going 22nd to the Warriors. I think he'll go closer to 10 than 22, but I'm praying he is available at our pick.
Can't see him dropping to our pick, let alone 22nd. A physical specimen at 7-3 with the frame to add more weight and a defensive force. Great rebounder and great shot blocker. Raw offensive game. Can't see him lasting 'till us, he has Mutumbo like potential. But yeah, I'd be very happy with him. But, I don't think Hawes is quick enough to guard PFs, we'd have two young centers. I can't see Hawes making that transition.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
The problem I have with Thabeet is that he's not a good post defender. He gets muscled around down low and bigger players can shoot over him. He also doesn't rotate well off picks which makes him a bit of a liability guarding the pick and roll. He's definitely a deterrent for guards trying to penetrate to the basket, but I don't know if that alone makes him a "defensive force". He's also not very developed offensively either all of which leads me to think "roleplayer" and "solid rotation guy" not center of the future.

The problem I have with Thabeet is that he's not a good post defender. He gets muscled around down low and bigger players can shoot over him. He also doesn't rotate well off picks which makes him a bit of a liability guarding the pick and roll. He's definitely a deterrent for guards trying to penetrate to the basket, but I don't know if that alone makes him a "defensive force". He's also not very developed offensively either all of which leads me to think "roleplayer" and "solid rotation guy" not center of the future.
With added weight and good coaching Thabeet can become a good post defender. He's not playing very long. At the 12th pick, I don't think it's realistic to think we'll get a rounded player with little weaknesses. Those guys are usually in the top 3 picks. That's why it sucks to be in no where land like we are right now.

I like Thabeets upside. You're points are all legit, but at 12th, I can't see anyone being there with more upside.

I'm not sold on Thabeet yet. He hasn't really proved anything except that he can block shots because he is tall. He has no offense, and still very raw. I don't see him helping us at all. Guys like Love, and Collison do though. If we got a 2nd 1st rounder I would love to try for those two.

I'm not sold on Thabeet yet. He hasn't really proved anything except that he can block shots because he is tall. He has no offense, and still very raw. I don't see him helping us at all. Guys like Love, and Collison do though. If we got a 2nd 1st rounder I would love to try for those two.
He is more than tall. For how tall he is, he gets off his feet really well. That is why he can block shots. He has the raw athletic tools. Like Dime said, we aren't getting anything guaranteed at our first pick. Everything in that range will be some sort of project.

I recall many debates about having an entire team of scorers versus having a good mix of scorers and roleplayers. Getting Thabeet is more about the Hawes/Thabeet tandem more than it is just about Thabeet. I really think that we would be better off with Hawes as a tall and lanky PF than a pure C. And when it comes to defensive Centers that are available at our range, I'm looking at Thabeet.

it is obvious that our biggest problem is point guard. we have two young big guys already, so it would be great if the kings could trade up to get either derrick rose or jerryd bayless. I don't think collison from ucla would be a very good option for us.