Justin Williams and Dahntay Jones to be cut

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Not sure if this could be true but since the kings were over the maximum players they could have did they have to drop Justin and Dantay before they could sign all of those players, and they possibly might just resign them after its all complete-and drop two of the players we acquired? I was thinking that could be a possibility, and have heard others say the same thing on different message boards? Just a thought.
They both can resign but must wait 30 days. It also assumes that they get no offers from any other teams and if they DO get offers, they are willing to turn them down on the hopes that the Kings will take the financial hit of waiving two other players in order to resign them. Perhaps the financial hit is not an issue but I get lost in the math. :(

I suspect if some team dangles a contract in front of them, they'll take it and not wait to see what the Kings want to do but then that is speculation. They can't afford to be out of the NBA.

This is getting complicated.

It also creates a lot of confusion within the team which is one method the upper brass can manipulate the team to get a higher draft pick. The more confusion in the shifting of bodies back and forth, the worse the won-lost record. No? :)

I have always thought that asking Reggie to purposely lose is asking a lot of a rookie coach trying to make it in the NBA. This way the losses will come because of management shenanigans and Reggie can work as hard as he can and will still lose because of the chaos.

Last edited:
I think you're right, Glenn, and it certainly explains why Dahntay and Justin are on waivers NOW before the trade is actually concluded. There have to be roster spots available for all incoming players in order for the trade to be approved. Without waiving Jones and Williams, those open roster slots do not exist.

Nice catch.

I was just about to point out a similar point to Glenn.

Just because we cut those guys does not mean we will not see them in our uniform again. I am not saying they will be re-signed, but under NBA rules a team must have space for incoming players for a trade to go through. It is not possible that we would have cut Wright and AJ, for example. What we can do is wait for the trade to become official, and then cut Wright and AJ. We would then be free to sign Justin and Jones again.

It's very possible that Justin Williams could be picked up by the Kings again. I realise that their was some anger and confusion on this point, so I looked around and found the information on RealGM. Basically, Glenn hit the nail on the head.

They both can resign but must wait 30 days. It also assumes that they get no offers from any other teams and if they DO get offers, they are willing to turn them down on the hopes that the Kings will take the financial hit of waiving two other players in order to resign them. Perhaps the financial hit is not an issue but I get lost in the math. :(

I suspect if some team dangles a contract in front of them, they'll take it and not wait to see what the Kings want to do but then that is speculation. They can't afford to be out of the NBA.

Yeah, it's a 30-day rule if we do want to resign either Jones and/or Williams. I think our team probably does like Williams, but seeing that he's spent 1.5 years with us with sporadic and little increase in playing time, and seeing that last year, he was already once waived and picked up again, I doubt he'd try to resurface with us. He probably needs to get a chance at a place where he can prove himself with a 30 minute game--I can see a 16 rebound game already popping in my head--and make a really great impression to solidify himself at least into a 9th or 10th man. Sort of like what a little known guy named Bobby-Jones did with Memphis earlier this year. I also agree with your second comment--young guys will jump at any opportunity to get a contract at the NBA, and Williams will probably attract some interest with his double digit rebound games already.

Yeah, it's a 30-day rule if we do want to resign either Jones and/or Williams. I think our team probably does like Williams, but seeing that he's spent 1.5 years with us with sporadic and little increase in playing time, and seeing that last year, he was already once waived and picked up again, I doubt he'd try to resurface with us. He probably needs to get a chance at a place where he can prove himself with a 30 minute game--I can see a 16 rebound game already popping in my head--and make a really great impression to solidify himself at least into a 9th or 10th man. Sort of like what a little known guy named Bobby-Jones did with Memphis earlier this year. I also agree with your second comment--young guys will jump at any opportunity to get a contract at the NBA, and Williams will probably attract some interest with his double digit rebound games already.
How many teams have a weaker front line than us? If he hasn't seen court time with us, chances of earning with virtually any other team is even less.

I like Justin, and hope we pick him again. I do wonder however, as to why he is unable to earn time, particularly since he brings exactly the things we sorely lack.

54. What are waivers?

It's a temporary status for players who are released by their team. A player released between August 15th and the end of the regular season stays on waivers for 48 hours. A player released at any other time stays on waivers for seven days. During the waiver period other teams may claim a waived player. If more than one team tries to claim the player, the team with the worst record gets him. If a player on waivers is claimed, the new team acquires his existing contract and pays the remainder of his salary. There is also a fee of $1,000, payable to the league office, for claiming a waived player.
A team can claim a waived player only if one of the following is true:
  • The team is far enough under the salary cap to fit the player's entire salary.
  • The team has a Disabled Player exception for at least the player's salary (see question number 19).
  • The team has a Traded Player exception for at least the player's salary (see question number 69).
  • The player's contract is for one or two seasons and he is paid the minimum salary.
If no team claims a waived player, he is said to have "cleared waivers." The player may sign with a new team of his choice, and the player's prior team continues to pay the guaranteed portion of the terminated contract (see question number 90 for more information). The player's salary with his new team is a matter of negotiation. Few players are actually claimed while on waivers, since the team claiming a waived player inherits his entire contract. It is far more common for teams to wait for the player to clear waivers, and then sign him to a much smaller (even minimum salary) contract.

If a player is waived after March 1, he is ineligible to be included in the playoff roster of any team that signs him for the remainder of that season.

If a team trades a player and the player is waived by the receiving team, the player's original team cannot re-sign that player for 30 days (during the season) or 20 days (during the offseason) following the date of the trade.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#54

Since he was not traded, I'm not sure if the Kings can't just claim him off waivers if any of those conditions listed exist or wait until he clears and in essence give him a little bonus for the remainder of the year if they so choose. I wouldn't mind seeing him (Williams) back if they could unload one of the new PGs such as Lou to Phoenix.

Since he was not traded, I'm not sure if the Kings can't just claim him off waivers if any of those conditions listed exist or wait until he clears and in essence give him a little bonus for the remainder of the year if they so choose. I wouldn't mind seeing him (Williams) back if they could unload one of the new PGs such as Lou to Phoenix.
I reviewed the same material last night, and came to the same conclusion, I know of no reason the Kings couldn't claim either or both of those guys off their own waiver(s). Waiving Wright to reclaim Justin would seem to be the logical move, although I doubt that the front office will bother.

LOL. But seriously, why justin. why not jones and some new kings guy comin from atl
Our current working theory is that the trade could not go forward unless we had enough space on our roster, which would mean waiving 2 guys before the trade could happen. Waiving our actual deadweight would have been expensive, so they waived the cheapest guys instead.

The moment the NBA says the trade is official, we can waive any of the guys we just got, but not until then.