American Idol - 2008 (merged)

SLAB

Hall of Famer
My favorite from Philly = The kid with dreads that sang the Uncle Kracker song. Good voice and great look.

Good luck to him in Hollywood, and onto Texas we go!

My favorite from Philly = The kid with dreads that sang the Uncle Kracker song. Good voice and great look.

Good luck to him in Hollywood, and onto Texas we go!
Me too! :D Although we didn't see anything of some of the folks picked to move on.

Another 2 hours of madness tonight. I'll be flipping from Deal or No Deal and American Idol. Ellen Degeneres is on Deal or No Deal tonight. She's funny.

Anyways, last night's Idol, I only like 2 people. I think their names was Angela and Christy (?) They were pretty good.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
OMG. My respect for Simon, Paula and Randy has grown immeasurably after tonight. I cannot imagine how they can sit there and listen to some of these people without eventually snapping and running them out of town.

Whoa...

OK Idol Fans, time to rise out of the ether!!!!!:D

Your top 24 was named last night. Let me be the first to select my favorite right now.......16 year old David Archuletta If this "child" has any ounce of soul in him, he will be your 2008 American Idol. This guy has presence, humility, poise, and can blow!!!!!

OK Idol Fans, time to rise out of the ether!!!!!:D

Your top 24 was named last night. Let me be the first to select my favorite right now.......16 year old David Archuletta If this "child" has any ounce of soul in him, he will be your 2008 American Idol. This guy has presence, humility, poise, and can blow!!!!!
Yup. He is my favorite as well.

My least favorite is Carly. She had her chance and MCA blew $2.2 million on her for her record to sell 350 copies.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
My least favorite is Carly. She had her chance and MCA blew $2.2 million on her for her record to sell 350 copies.
She doesn't seem to be the only ringer this season, it seems like there are a dozen this season. My DVR cut off as they were set to pick/cut the last of the two girls. Am I right in believing they went with the plus sized girl? I thought they both sounded pretty awful from the audition clips they showed when they went into the cutting room.

Nobody really grabbed me. Seems like a good crop of singers though, but there are a handful that we know absolutely nothing about so there may be a Sanjaya or two in there we don't know about.

There are several that I liked. One of them is Brooke White. She the blond hair that played keyboard the other night. I really liked her voice. Kind of like a Carly Simon type music. The other was is David Archuleta. Man, that kid is good and he's only 17 yrs old. And being that I like rock, I think Robbie Carrico is good. And then there's David Hernandez. He was impressive. And I liked Syesha Mercado. She was the one that lost her voice but came up big when it was her turn.

I actually like the contestants this year. Its a very strong group.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I think my favorite might be Micheal Johns, the Australian guy who sung Bohemian Rhapsody.

Also, does anyone actually know who Jason Castro is, and what he can do? He's the white guy with dreads, and the only speaking part I've ever seen him get was "Woah, Im through..." For some reason I dig the look, and want him to go far, but I have zero clue what he sounds like.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I agree about Michael Johns. Anybody has the nerve to do "Bohemian Rhapsody" for an audition AND sell it has talent. And he wasn't just a copy of Freddie, either. It was very good!

Lots of good talent this time.

:)

ooooo..

OK so I have an IDEA.. Lets take the top 24, and everyone take their top 6 boys/girls!

My parents and I have been doing this for a couple years now, and we each put in 10 bucks. See who from the top 24 makes it to the top 12.. Anyone game? I will put all their profiles up along with their names, adn we can play a pick'em game.

No money involved of course.

You have until Thursday to make your picks (if you wanted to catch the first nights of singing in the finals before voting).

All votes need to be in no later than 2pm pst on Thursday the 21st. That's when the first votes are in right? If I made a mistake on the first night of voting please just have them in before the first people are voted out. Thanks!

Ok I know I am going to watch them sing before making picks, because there are a few that didn't get any play on their Hollywood show, or in the city tours that might be something special.

READY EVERYONE?!

My picks for the top 6 men.. Wow there were some horrible ones tonight! :)

1. David Archuleta
2. David Cook
3. Jason Castro
4. Robbie Carrico
5. Michael Johns
6. Danny Norriega

The first I think will be voted off are Jason Yeagar, and Garrett Haley.

My top 6 women are;

Alexandrea Lushington
Amanda Overmyer
Brooke White
Carly Smithson
Ramiele Malubay
Syesha Mercado

I don't like Amanda Overmyer..... But I think she will make it. I don't like Danny Noriega either, but ugh.. Pixie haircut and all will probably be in the finals.. What's with all the guys having womens haircuts?

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So basically we don't have much time, right? I don't even remember each of these so it's a combination guess based on the ones I do remember and the ones I think will get through because of "votefortheworst" and the really young vote.

Here are my predictions for top 12, in no particular order:

Top 6 men:

Michael Johns
Robbie Carrico
David Archuleta
Colton Berry
Danny Noreiga
Jason Castro

Note: At this point, Michael Johns is definitely my early pick for our next American Idol. I LOVE HIM!

Top 6 women:

Amanda Overmyer
Asia'h Epperson
Syesha Mercado
Kady Malloy
Ramiele Malubay
Carly Smithson

Last edited:
You have until Thursday to adjust your picks. I wanted to hear a couple of the people sing which weren't shown in Hollywood, or during the tour. Always seems to be one or two a year that slip by based on talent alone.

I was about to post my top 12, and luckily I read that our picks won't have to be in until Thursday. So, I'll wait until I hear some of them. Because I don't even remember half of them.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You have until Thursday to adjust your picks. I wanted to hear a couple of the people sing which weren't shown in Hollywood, or during the tour. Always seems to be one or two a year that slip by based on talent alone.
Great. Thanks... At least this way, if I forget I'll have something down.

:)

I'll give it a try:

Top 6 men:

Hernandez
Archuleta
Castro
Johns
Carrico
Haley

Tope 6 women:

Overmyer
Epperson
White
Maluby
Mercado
Malloy

(I think Carly might make it, but I'm hoping not.)

Last edited:
You can adjust them.. It's no big deal. I was about to make mine too but realized I would probably change half of them after hearing them sing :)