Lewis To Visit Orlando; Milicic Out Of Magic Picture???

http://forums.floridatoday.com/viewtopic.php?t=40683

Rashard Lewis is headed to Orlando _ for a visit with the Magic brass, at least _ and center Darko Milicic could very well be on his way out the door.

Lewis, the 6-foot-10 small forward who averaged career bests in points (22..4), rebounds (6.6) and assists (2.4) last season, left his hometown of Houston Sunday afternoon en route to Orlando for a meeting with Magic general manager Otis Smith and assistant general manager Dave Twardzik.

In somewhat of a shocking non-move, the Magic have yet to contact Milicic’s representatives, possibly sending the message that they have no interest in resigning the 7-footer from Serbia and Montenegro.

Milicic’s agent, Marc Cornstein, admitted that the was somewhat surprised in the Magic’s lack of outward interest and he confirmed that Lewis was about to visit Orlando.

Because the Magic have just $10-13 million in salary cap space, it is highly unlikely that they would be able to sign Lewis away from the Seattle Supersonics and also retain Milicic.

``I didn’t get a call from (the Magic) at 12:01, 12:02, 12:05 or 4:20 this morning,’’ Cornstein said. ``I’ve talked to many, many teams around the league, but Orlando isn’t one of them. I’ve learned not to be shocked with anything that goes on, but hey, it is what it is right now.’’

In the weeks since the Magic were swept out of the playoffs by the Detroit Pistons Smith said that his top priority this summer was to re-sign Milicic, 21. And he and Cornstein spoke repeatedly over the past few weeks, and the feeling was that a contract offer could come as soon as today.

Sunday (July 1) was the first day teams could begin negotiating deals with free agents. Those deals can’t be officially signed until July 11, but most contracts are finalized with handshake agreements early in the process.

Lewis met with new Seattle GM Sam Presti Sunday morning and also entertained talks with representatives from the Rockets, the team he grew up a fan of while living in Houston.

Lewis is expected to command a salary of at least $15 million a season. He opted out of a deal that would have paid him $21 million over the next two seasons. Seattle has an advantage in that it can offer a six-year contract, whereas other teams can offer just five years. He could still get his six years and leave Seattle by negotiating a sign-and-trade deal.

``I will verify that (Lewis) is going to Orlando,’’ Cornstein said. ``All these negotiations are fluid and impact each other, but we know very well that it’s going to be extremely unlikely that the Magic can sign Darko and Rashard Lewis unless there’s a sign-and-trade deal.’’

Vince Carter, a Daytona Beach native and an Orlando summer resident, is no longer a candidate for the Magic after he agreed to a four-year, $61.8 million deal with the New Jersey Nets on Sunday, according to the Newark Star-Ledger.

Lewis, 27, might want out of Seattle after the Sonics traded Ray Allen to Boston on draft night. Also, the Sonics drafted Kevin Durant and acquired Jeff Green and Wally Szczerbiak _ all small forwards, the same position as Lewis.

Milicic is a restricted free agent, meaning the Magic have the right to match any offer he receives. Cornstein said he received calls from ``half the teams in the league,’’ but only four of them _ Milwaukee, Minnesota, Atlanta and Orlando _ can offer him more than the mid-level exception ($5.5 million).

``I think on paper it makes a lot of sense for Darko to return to Orlando,’’ Cornstein said. ``We really thought it was a good fit for him there.

``But the most important thing is that we want him with a team that wants him. It’s taken him some time to establish himself in this league and we think it’s important that he goes to a team that believes in him and wants him to be a cornerstone piece.’’

Cornstein said he wouldn’t rule out the Magic at this point, but he is beginning to wonder if they have any desire to retain the 7-foot shot blocker.

``I’m really easy to reach, but they haven’t called,’’ Cornstein said. ``Until I have conversations with them, I won’t know what direction they are headed.’’

--- John Denton, FLORIDA TODAY

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl-bk-magicdarko070107,0,4485418.story

In a surprising development, the Orlando Magic did not contact Darko Milicic's camp when NBA free agency officially began at 12:01 a.m. today.

The Magic had said they wanted to re-sign Milicic, but by late this afternoon they had yet to call Marc Cornstein, Milicic's agent.

Cornstein conceded he was surprised, because a team's call to a free agents after the courting period begins is seen as at least a good-will gesture, if not an actual precursor to negotiating.

Cornstein told the Sentinel he received calls from more than 10 other teams today about Milicic, including "a few" who made offers, but added, "Curious by their absence was the Orlando Magic."

Cornstein said he called Milicic, who is in his native Serbia, to inform him that the Magic had not called.

"I talked to Darko. I'm not going to lie to him. I told him," Cornstein said.

Milicic, a 7-foot power forward who played the past 1 1/2 seasons with the Magic, is a restricted free agent.

Cornstein was still hopeful that Milicic was in the Magic's plans.

The Magic had said that they wanted Milicic to return, and add a free agent such as small forward Rashard Lewis, who has played in Seattle the past nine seasons.

The Magic might have quickly turned all their attention to Lewis or another free agent. Lewis' agent, Tony Dutt, reportedly was meeting with Sonics General Manager Sam Presti on Sunday in Houston.

The development could mean that the Magic are trying to work a sign-and-trade involving Milicic and Lewis

:mad:

Well that would be nifty. I do so enjoy being a wallflower while everybody else is off having fun.

Well that might not be the case. The second articile mentioned that more then 10 teams contacted Darko. I can only hope the Kings are one them. In any case it would be Darko deciding on what team he would be S&T traded to. This is where we convince Vlade toi do us a favour and wooo Darko for us:)

Well that might not be the case. The second articile mentioned that more then 10 teams contacted Darko. I can only hope the Kings are one them. In any case it would be Darko deciding on what team he would be S&T traded to. This is where we convince Vlade toi do us a favour and wooo Darko for us:)
what do we need darko for now that we've drafted spencer hawes? we need to add some athleticism and rebounding to our front line, and while darko is certainly more athletic than hawes, it's not exactly what i had in mind...

what do we need darko for now that we've drafted spencer hawes? we need to add some athleticism and rebounding to our front line, and while darko is certainly more athletic than hawes, it's not exactly what i had in mind...
Darko is a good to great defender at the 4 spot. he also block shot which quite handy. Do you also know that the magic where 3rd best team when it came to defending the post last year Darko and Dwight did a good job defensively last year. Darko weakness is actually consistancey on offensive side of ball.

Don't we have extra money from our expirings this year? Corliss, Potato, and Hart are off the books aren't they?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Darko's a 4? I would be into a Darko/Hawes frontline moving into the future regardless! That would be pretty sweet.
Yes, he's a combo, but probably more 4 than 5. Especially when he's not being kind of forced to play the 5 the way he was last year.

I could defintely go for a Darko/Hawes 7'0"/7'0" twin towers frontline and see what happened. But there would be some issues there that could end up making it much less sexy than it seems. First of course is that Darko has been a poor rebounder, and Hawes projects as a poor rebounder. Put them together, and we could have two big towers in there and still not be able to grab a board to save our lives. Secondly of course would be footspeed. Could we guard quick frontlines? Interior defensive would be a "?" as well -- but there Darko has proven to be a major shotblocker, so there would be hope. The question wiht him is whether he is one of those soft shotblockers ala Raef Lafrentz who gets a lot of blocks but doesn't actually scare anybody out of the middle. Offensively it would be a good fit -- Darko can play inside, but prefers to face ala a Kg type player, and Hawes of course is a post master. Overall IMO a worthy young frontline experiment if we could somehow put it together, but not one guaranteed to be satisfying. Could end up being too soft, too slow and just too mediocre. But at least it would be interesting to watch the potential development and have hope. There is none wiht the current crew of old vets who are only going downward.

Yes, he's a combo, but probably more 4 than 5. Especially when he's not being kind of forced to play the 5 the way he was last year.

I could defintely go for a Darko/Hawes 7'0"/7'0" twin towers frontline and see what happened. But there would be some issues there that could end up making it much less sexy than it seems. First of course is that Darko has been a poor rebounder, and Hawes projects as a poor rebounder. Put them together, and we could have two big towers in there and still not be able to grab a board to save our lives. Secondly of course would be footspeed. Could we guard quick frontlines? Interior defensive would be a "?" as well -- but there Darko has proven to be a major shotblocker, so there would be hope. The question wiht him is whether he is one of those soft shotblockers ala Raef Lafrentz who gets a lot of blocks but doesn't actually scare anybody out of the middle. Offensively it would be a good fit -- Darko can play inside, but prefers to face ala a Kg type player, and Hawes of course is a post master. Overall IMO a worthy young frontline experiment if we could somehow put it together, but not one guaranteed to be satisfying. Could end up being too soft, too slow and just too mediocre. But at least it would be interesting to watch the potential development and have hope. There is none wiht the current crew of old vets who are only going downward.
Well the one thing Darko is good at is defense. Him and Howard had the Magic rated at 3rd in post defense inside scoring and FG %. So i think him and hawes would make a good combo.

Last edited:
Maybe we can grab Darko and pair him with a big like Justin Williams that way you have a nice mix of athleticism, shot blocking and offense up in your front court.

As for Hawes maybe he could play the 6th man role and be a huge contributor off the bench and give him major minutes. Split the minutes between Justin Williams perhaps. That way we would still have the "twin towers" at most times but would also have the speed and athleticism in the front court as well.

Well the one thing Darko is good at is defense. Him and Howard had the Magic rated at 3rd in post defense inside scoring and FG %. So i think him and hawes would make a good combo.
Dont overrate his defense though. Darko had a large tendency to slack off and really fade here and there.

Those defensive stats are really rather meaningless. I mean here in houston we had the #2 defense in the league (and for much of the season it was #1) but individually our players were garbage outside of Shane Battier (and even he isn't that great a one-on-one defender)

The magic had great stats because they had Brian Hill as their coach just as houston had JVG. They both coach the same defense. Plug up the paint and force teams to hit the outside shot. And constantly rotate players when people try to drive to the middle to draw charges.

That's just a reflection of good team defense instead of individual defense. Darko has all the potential in the world to be an All-NBA defender but right now he's really no where close to that.

Dont overrate his defense though. Darko had a large tendency to slack off and really fade here and there.

Those defensive stats are really rather meaningless. I mean here in houston we had the #2 defense in the league (and for much of the season it was #1) but individually our players were garbage outside of Shane Battier (and even he isn't that great a one-on-one defender)

The magic had great stats because they had Brian Hill as their coach just as houston had JVG. They both coach the same defense. Plug up the paint and force teams to hit the outside shot. And constantly rotate players when people try to drive to the middle to draw charges.

That's just a reflection of good team defense instead of individual defense. Darko has all the potential in the world to be an All-NBA defender but right now he's really no where close to that.
Darko is a great team and Individual defender. True Darko and Howard force opposing teams to beat teams from the outside (which they were quite successfull) but when Darko guards man on man he does a good job. I remember in one of the few games he started the magic played the blazers and Darko completely shout down Fat boy Zach.

And the thing about Darko is that he is a RFA and the magic want to sign him. But from what it looks like Darko wants 10 million and the magic only wants to give him 8 million. The magic hold all the leveage because there is no other team that could give him more then 8 million other then the Grizz, who i doubt will with Paul on the team. Mil could too but they have to go after a PG. Right now it looks like the magic will first Go after Lewis and get a sign and Trade done, leaving maybe around 8 to 9 left for darko if team trys go after him so they could match. The magic are basically leaving the market tell what Darko value is. This is what i get from Oits Smith comments in espn:

Rashard Lewis was on a plane to Orlando early Sunday evening to meet with the Magic after hearing a pitch from the Seattle SuperSonics.

Waiting anxiously to see how it would all play out was Darko Milicic, who had not -- repeat, had not -- received a phone call from the Magic (as of 5:30 p.m. ET) on his first day as a restricted free agent.

"Is he restricted or unrestricted?" Magic general manager Otis Smith told ESPN.com. "Look, Darko knows that we love him and want him here. What else is there to do?"

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blo...log/index?entryID=2922706&name=sheridan_chris